Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2017 at 07:02
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

^Niiiice!!! Will have to check the whole album out tomorrow, I really like what I'm hearing from the snippets of that YouTube video. Thank you for the recommendation! Smile Speaking of German progressive folk, do you know Bröselmaschine? Another lost gem right there, a bit more on the oriental side, though.

Nice album, that Broeselmaschine one!
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2017 at 08:23
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Last two nights choices:

Caravan – Waterloo Lily
Renaissance – Novella
Renaissance – A Song for All Seasons
Santana – Welcome
Santana – III
Fuchsia – s/t
Sundenfall 2 – s/t (Maybe hard to truly love all of it, but such a beautiful and eclectic folk-psych gem)
Robert Schroeder – Harmonic Ascendant
Robert Rich – Live at the Gatherings 2015
Ishq/Experiments in Sound – Suspended Form

what did you think of those "latter day" renaissance albums?  We have a bit of a contingent here, especially the prog folk deliettantes, who think ASFAS is their best, though there is obviously close competition.  I keep forgetting to check out other Caravan besides ITLOGAP.  Have you tried Fuchsia's "comeback" album released a few years ago?  Surprisingly good and updated but still recognizable.  I enjoeyed the Sundenfall album.  Try "Midnight Circus" or the group O.W.L.

Today I added some albums by Basque folkie Benito Lertxundi and listened to quite a few of them.  A bit mellow, like a cross betweeen Alan Stivell and Gilles Servat more so than any Basque groups I've heard.  He was in the Basque underground movement from early on, so his themes may be anything but mellow.

Hey Ken, I always liked both of those Renaissance albums. When I first got into prog, `Scheherazade' was one of the very first albums I ever bought exploring the genre, and soon after I picked up `Novella' and `Prologue', and for many years I only had those three from the band. So I really came to very much like `Novella', and it was only later on that I learned that it's kind of considered a `poorer' one from that initial run of albums. I think in retrospect the first side is amazing, so to `Midas Man', and the other two are perfectly decent but not as memorable as other pieces they'd done from the same period. I always thought `ASFAS' was always strong, but then again I've always defended `Azure D'Or' quite a bit as well!

I've got a review of that Fuchsia one ready to go as soon as I can be bothered posting it - man, I love that album! I'm very curious to look into that follow-up now after your praise of it now! I just kind of assumed `too little too late'.

Thanks for the two recommendations, will look into them.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2017 at 13:20
John McLaughlin - Devotion (Sweeet memories connected with this masterpiece)
King Crimson - Live at Summit Studios 1972 (There is a good chance this sparked a King Crimson kick for me today)
Sündenfall II - Sündenfall II (Michael, I like this!!! Some places are not really all that memorable, but I absolutely adore those jazzy breaks; they will stick with me for loooong. And the more traditional folk songs are very pleasant and charming. The flute playing is out of this world. Thanks a lot for recommending this one! Wink)

Edited by ALotOfBottle - July 15 2017 at 13:21
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2017 at 18:22
Dialeto: Bartok in Rock

Extraordinaire album.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2017 at 07:56
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Sündenfall II - Sündenfall II (Michael, I like this!!! Some places are not really all that memorable, but I absolutely adore those jazzy breaks; they will stick with me for loooong. And the more traditional folk songs are very pleasant and charming. The flute playing is out of this world. Thanks a lot for recommending this one! Wink)

Glad you dug it, man! AS you said, not every bit is memorable, but it's mostly pretty tasty. I especially love that `Dusty Road' track, very droning and melancholic.

Last night's choices for me, including several German ones:

Jefferson Airplane – Surrealistic Pillow
Amon Duul 2 – Yeti (man, those final mellow minutes of the side-long `Yeti’ improvisation)
Guru Guru – Kanguru
Guru Guru – Tango Fango
Kraan – s/t
Tangerine Dream – Atem
Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
Aktuala – s/t
Robert Rich – Filaments
Syn – Sequence 1
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2017 at 10:21
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Amon Duul 2 – Yeti (man, those final mellow minutes of the side-long `Yeti’ improvisation)

I know, aren't they like a cherry on top?! Love the second LP of Yeti in all. One of the most psychedelic things I have ever heard. Nice day overall, by the way!

Edited by ALotOfBottle - July 16 2017 at 10:22
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2017 at 10:56
Heh, cheers Tymon, and I have to say that tonight is shaping up pretty similarly too, will report back in the morning!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 01:28
Yesterday:
Don Bradshaw-Leather - Distance Between Us
Michael Hoenig - Departure From the Northern Wasteland
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 03:32
Trippy weekend:
Quaeschening & Schnauss - Synthwaves
Steve Roach - Invisible
Schnauss & Munk - Passage
Michael Brückner - All the Pieces Fit Forever (CD 3)
Tangerine Dream - Rubycon

And went to a barbecue with Prog concerts last night. Esfera's upcoming EP sounds great and I discovered a promising new Psych band, and I'm pretty sure I went to high school with them.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 04:58
AAAAAAAAAARRRGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Just made a HUUUGE post and forgot to save it......aaaaand got it erased of course. DAMN YOU CAPTCHAAngry

Oh well cool music you guys are listening to. Would've been a far more interesting post but alas t'was not to be.
f**k this sh*t
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 05:32
Disapprove
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 08:01
indeed.
This place is fast becoming a "phone site" for me. Over my laptop it has just become too frustrating of an experience. Earlier on I was about to post a couple of pre-written reviews that have been sitting and waiting on my computer for a good while now, but I guess they will have to wait a while.

Music yesterday:
Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds
Yusef Lateef - The Blue Yusef Lateef
Samuel Cadima - Cascata
Wolves In The Throne Room - Celestite (strongly recommended to Berliner Schule fans that have grown tired of the same ol same ol. This album came completely out of left-field parting ways with the band's former black metal sound)
Semiramis - Dedicato A Frazz
Wolf People - Ruins

Nice Altuala pick there btw Michael! The band that manages to splice together every endemic percussion culture out there. Insane...and very very good.

Tymon: I see you found your way to the great Don. Kudos. I bought the cd in Valletta airport (Malta) 10-15 years ago though I'm fairly certain it is a bootleg. Anyway couldn't resist the wonderfully strange cover art.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 08:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Tymon: I see you found your way to the great Don. Kudos. I bought the cd in Valletta airport (Malta) 10-15 years ago though I'm fairly certain it is a bootleg. Anyway couldn't resist the wonderfully strange cover art.

It was my second listen to it. It's a great album, although there is something just a tad to watery in it for me, no other way to put it really. I like it very much, though, and would love to find other stuff like it. Also, I had thought I misunderstood the information in your review, but I did not; how on earth does one find such obscurities at an airport in Malta (or any airport for that matter)? Shocked

Nice picks by the way, love me some Yusef Lateef. Smile

Edited by ALotOfBottle - July 17 2017 at 08:29
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 08:37
Yeah looking back now I think the music store there most likely acted as a front for some sneaky music bootleggers. Still, the cd sounds great.

The good monsieur Lateef has accompanied me to bed the last couple of nights now - just the kind of esoterically charged, loose and infinitely chill kind of jazz that suits me at that time of night. Conversely, pour a bottle of vodka down my throat and I'll be pulling out the mad Sun Ra albums. Atlantis at 4 in the morning can be quite the eye-opener and that luckily also includes your neighbours. Frame of mind and all that...

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 12:56
Started as another mostly Krautrock-ish session, then wound down with some modern chill-out/mellow/ambient stuff:

Lineateorica - s/t
Kraan – Wintrup
Embryo – Rocksession – (man, the way that organ hums in the first half of `Warm Canto’! )
Embryo – Father Son and Holy Ghosts (killer 18-plus minute live bonus track tacked onto the end of this CD edition too! )
Out of Focus – Wake Up
Agitation Free – Malesch (Sam, was it an LP of this you picked up recently or the CD reissue?)
Aktuala – La Terra (this one is a little more sedate, eh Dave?
Steve Roach – Solitaire: Ritual Ground
The Angling Loser – Arena of Apprehension
Stormloop – Into the Void
Ishq – Autumn Light
Ishq – Winter Light
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 14:05
^Good stuff! I was on an Embryo kick last November. And it was biiiig! That band has a very special way of intoxicating me. Now it's King Crimson, I guess.

Friedhof - Friedhof
King Crimson - KCCC 18 - Live in Detroit, MI  (December 13 1971) (The best live KC album I've heard so far.)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 14:17
Tymon, I haven't had much luck coming across more Embryo albums. I've had the vinyl reissues of both `Steig Aus' and `Rocksession' for many years, and I only picked up `Father Son and Holy Ghosts' about two years ago on remastered CD. Other than that - nothing. So I've pretty much had no choice but to stick with these ones!

(although I suppose I could order some more online! )

I DID, however, come across a CD listing for an album of theirs from 1977 called `Apo-Calypso' from a local Melbourne, Australia vendor on Ebay...perhaps I should have snapped it up! I think the one-star review on the Archives here (and that awful cover!) put me off. It was $20, though, which seemed like a bit of a gamble. Do you know if it's any good?

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5635

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 17 2017 at 14:23
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 16:12
La Terra is definitely the one I'd recommend a newbie to the band. Seems more 'direct/linear' if that makes any sort of sense. The debut, in comparison, is far more loose and spacey reminding me of the kind of experimental space voyages one encounters in early Schulze, TD, Kluster and Popol Vuh....but achived through percussion instruments. Only one other album I know of that does this and that's Stomu Yamashta's debut Red Buddha, an extraordinary album.

Michael: If you ever pull the trigger on some Embryo albums online, then please consider Opal, Embryo's Rache, Embryo's Reise, We Keep On as well as the two live albums Wiesbaden and Bremen before you jump on board Apo-Calypso.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 16:14
Also mmmmmmmmmh Warm Canto.

....almost as good as Dirge

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 16:26
Me yesterday:

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady
Dead Can Dance - Anastasis
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Don't Get Lost
Camel - s/t (without a doubt my fave album of theirs)
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang Clan (36 Chambers)
John Coltrane - Sun Ship
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Ryley Walker - Primrose Green
Tim Buckley - Lorca
Homunculus Res - debut
Popol Vuh - Seligpreisung (Conny Veit is the man! (despite his name))

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 522>