Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 132133134135136 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 18:52
Just two albums today, and possibly the two most dissimilar albums I could have picked in my entire library:

Beatles - A Hard Day's Night
Birds & Buildings - Multi-Purpose Trap
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 20:17
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Last two nights choices:

Caravan – Waterloo Lily
Renaissance – Novella
Renaissance – A Song for All Seasons
Santana – Welcome
Santana – III
Fuchsia – s/t
Sundenfall 2 – s/t (Maybe hard to truly love all of it, but such a beautiful and eclectic folk-psych gem)
Robert Schroeder – Harmonic Ascendant
Robert Rich – Live at the Gatherings 2015
Ishq/Experiments in Sound – Suspended Form

what did you think of those "latter day" renaissance albums?  We have a bit of a contingent here, especially the prog folk deliettantes, who think ASFAS is their best, though there is obviously close competition.  I keep forgetting to check out other Caravan besides ITLOGAP.  Have you tried Fuchsia's "comeback" album released a few years ago?  Surprisingly good and updated but still recognizable.  I enjoeyed the Sundenfall album.  Try "Midnight Circus" or the group O.W.L.

Today I added some albums by Basque folkie Benito Lertxundi and listened to quite a few of them.  A bit mellow, like a cross betweeen Alan Stivell and Gilles Servat more so than any Basque groups I've heard.  He was in the Basque underground movement from early on, so his themes may be anything but mellow.

Hey Ken, I always liked both of those Renaissance albums. When I first got into prog, `Scheherazade' was one of the very first albums I ever bought exploring the genre, and soon after I picked up `Novella' and `Prologue', and for many years I only had those three from the band. So I really came to very much like `Novella', and it was only later on that I learned that it's kind of considered a `poorer' one from that initial run of albums. I think in retrospect the first side is amazing, so to `Midas Man', and the other two are perfectly decent but not as memorable as other pieces they'd done from the same period. I always thought `ASFAS' was always strong, but then again I've always defended `Azure D'Or' quite a bit as well!

I've got a review of that Fuchsia one ready to go as soon as I can be bothered posting it - man, I love that album! I'm very curious to look into that follow-up now after your praise of it now! I just kind of assumed `too little too late'.

Thanks for the two recommendations, will look into them.

loved your review of Fuchsia...can I look forward to your review of the "comeback" album?

Edited by kenethlevine - July 17 2017 at 20:17
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 00:37

I DID, however, come across a CD listing for an album of theirs from 1977 called `Apo-Calypso' from a local Melbourne, Australia vendor on Ebay...perhaps I should have snapped it up! I think the one-star review on the Archives here (and that awful cover!) put me off. It was $20, though, which seemed like a bit of a gamble. Do you know if it's any good?

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5635

Haven't heard it and with the $20 price tag, I don't think I would get it myself. As David said, the Embryo albums you own, Opal, Embryo's Rache, Embryo's Reise, We Keep On as well as the two live albums are definitely the best Embryo albums, and, for me, the Embryo albums. Also, in 2014, Cosmic Egg released a great live CD of theirs called Riding, which I'm trying to hunt down. Only heard one track from it ("The Call," which is a lengthy variation on "Enterances" from Rocksession), but I just love the way they sounded with Charlie Mariano and Mal Waldron.

And nice listens there, David!

(CAAAAPTCHAAAAAA almost got me. So glad I saved my post.)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 03:04
Sündenfall 2 – s/t (I didn't like it nearly as much as Tymon.)
Colour Haze - In Her Garden (So heavy and soft at the same time. A great Stoner tribute to Popol Vuh.)
Tiny Fingers - The Fall
Steve Roach - NOW
Savanna - Aurora EP (Finally in my collection. 23 minutes of Space Rock goodness.)
Soft Machine - Third (I like to put it on the pile of vinyl to listen to, after Bitches Brew. I'm not a fan of side 3 but luckily side 4 is my favourite.)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 09:29
Thanks, guys. Yes, the price tag on that Embryo album was a gamble for me, even though I'm always really curious to hear the so-called `bad' albums in artist's discographies - ha, anyone remember Mythos' `Grand Prix'?! - Sam, you remember my thoughts on that one!

Sam, in regards to that Sündenfall 2 album, I'm assuming you probably liked about half the tracks? I think that would be pretty fair!

That first official Roach album is kind of OK. It's actually quite welcome when he works in more compact forms as opposed to endless drifty `collages'

I still struggle a bit with SM's `Third' too...it's that track with the wheezy Wyatt vocals that completely grates on my nerves on that one. Thankfully I'm mostly come around to the rest.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 11:02
Mainly psychedelic/abstract/spacey day today...

A.R. & Machines - Echo (It's growing on me, I used to be a bit annoyed by the overly-jammy aproach in places, but it does not bother me almost at all right now. Great album.)
Sun Araw & Matthewdavid - LIVEPHREAXXX!!!!
Sand - Desert Navigation
Tangerine Dream - Ultima Thule (extended edition from 2016)
Franco Battiato - Sulle Corde di Aires
Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album
Terry Riley - Lifespan

Oh and I personally absolutely love all four sides of Third, but I guess you knew that already. Tongue

Edited by ALotOfBottle - July 18 2017 at 11:05
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 19:07
Herbie Hancock - Crossings
King Crimson - USA
Yes - The Ladder
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 03:07

Thanks, guys. Yes, the price tag on that Embryo album was a gamble for me, even though I'm always really curious to hear the so-called `bad' albums in artist's discographies - ha, anyone remember Mythos' `Grand Prix'?! - Sam, you remember my thoughts on that one!

Sam, in regards to that Sündenfall 2 album, I'm assuming you probably liked about half the tracks? I think that would be pretty fair!

That first official Roach album is kind of OK. It's actually quite welcome when he works in more compact forms as opposed to endless drifty `collages'

I still struggle a bit with SM's `Third' too...it's that track with the wheezy Wyatt vocals that completely grates on my nerves on that one. Thankfully I'm mostly come around to the rest.
I'm still waiting for another 1-star review of yours Big smile

I thought it was just OK, I'm picky when it comes to Prog Folk Ermm

Yes, it's refreshing to hear him in a completely different format. I still have to listen to "Traveller".

I tried to focus on the keys on that side, fortunately he stops singing on the second half.

Yesterday:
Fuschia - s/t (Thanks for reminding me of it, Michael!)
Deep Purple - Fireball
Epignosis - Refulgence (Very nice, let's hope a certain someone won't decide review it.)
Trace - s/t
Krakatau - Water Near a Brigde
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 19:50
Beatles - Let It Be
Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night
The Guess Who - Share The Land
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 02:07
Yesterday:
Kak - Kak
King Crimson - The Beat Club, Bremen 1972
King Crimson - Live in Guildford: November 13, 1972
Cremation Lily & False Moniker - The Treasury Painted Roof

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 03:19
Banda do Casaco - Coisas do Arco da Velha
The Cosmic Dead - Rainbowhead
Elder - Reflections of a Floating World
Quarteto 1111 - Onde, Quando, Como, Porquę Cantamos Pessoas Vivas (I only wanted to hear the intro, the next thing I know it's almost over :P)
Javi Cánovas - Pathway
Iron Maiden - Book of Souls (LP 2 of 3)
Sensible Soccers - Villa Soledade (If Göttsching had spent a Summer in Portugal in the early 80's and recorded an album, it would probably sound like this ;) Looking forward for the concert this weekend.)
Cosmic Ground - II (This gains a lot of depth with subwoofer. The last piece is recommended for Farfisa aficionados.)
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 08:27
Hey Sam, how did you like The Cosmic Dead? They have several albums out but Rainbowhead is the only one I have.
What do you think about the new Elder?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 08:36
Rainbowhead was much better than their latest, almost Kraut at times.

Heavy Psych with lots of Tron, it's hard not to like ;)

I heard TCD because they were the last announcement for the festival in three weeks:

Looking great, right? :D

Edited by Meltdowner - July 20 2017 at 08:37
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 08:57
^  WOW, what a heavy line-up. Several of my favorite bands are going to be there.
Two days plus a warm up party!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 09:29
^ I'll skip the warm-up party, like I did last year. I just hope this time I'm physically/mentally able to watch every band I want to, although this line-up is much better :P
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 12:17
^  Thumbs Up
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 12:49
Yesterday was fun. I both listened to some wonderful music and watched a porcupine reenact the sounds of a washing machine. Good times.

Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds
GZA - Liquid Swords
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Magic Bus - Phillip The Egg
Samuel Cadima - Cascata (helped me relax in such a brilliant way, thanks)
Harmonia - DeLuxe (so overlooked it's unfair. Every bitbas good as the debut)
Andrew Hill - Passing Ships
Caravan - s/t
Klaus Schulze - Irrlicht (I'd forgotten just how much I love love this debut of Klaus')
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 03:15
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Samuel Cadima - Cascata (helped me relax in such a brilliant way, thanks)

Harmonia - DeLuxe (so overlooked it's unfair. Every bitbas good as the debut)

Klaus Schulze - Irrlicht (I'd forgotten just how much I love love this debut of Klaus')
I'm glad. Did you hear it in "enhanced audio"? :P

Indeed! Looks like both Harmonia albums became officially available on Youtube two days ago, I already know what I'll listen to ;)

How could you not love those bone-chilling atmospheres? :D

Yesterday:
Umberto - Alienation
Equal Stones - Wretched Human Mirror
Kraftwerk - Computer World
Yes - Tormato
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 11:25
Harmonia - Musik von Harmonia
Harmonia - Deluxe
Jorge Palma - É Proibido Fumar
Locanda delle Fate - Forse le Lucciole Non Si Amano Piů
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 02:00
Yesterday:
The Comet is Coming - Channel the Spirits (David, great album, thanks for the recommendation. Fresh sound - jazz, minimalism and electronica coming together. Even reminded me a bit of 90's acid house at times. Very enjoyable! Thumbs Up)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 132133134135136 522>