Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 134135136137138 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 04:15
I'm glad I'm not the only one who walks his music then
Some albums do benefit from being able to piss in the open instead of using the designated kitty box.

Me yesterday:
Grachan Moncur lll - Evolution
Black Mountain - IV (twice! It's that good)
Andy Stott - Faith In Strangers
Material - Hallucination Engine
Moogg - Italian Luxury Style
Norman Connors - Dance Of Magic
Jacco Gardner - Hypnophobia
Accordo Dei Contrari - Violato Intatto
The Comet Is Coming - Channel The Spirits
Yatha Sidrah - A Meditation Mass
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2017 at 01:41
Yesterday:
DJ Plant Texture - Cyclone EP
E-Z Rollers - Rolled Into 1/Believe (Heart)
Master Cylinder - Elsewhere (Michael, what a fantastic album! A very American take on the Canterbury sound, reminded me of The Muffins, Happy the Man, and However at times, but it has its own unique character. Great, playful compositions, brilliant arrangements and skillful musical performance, great guitar especially. Superb album. Thank you! Wink)
Al Caiola - Sounds for Spies and Private Eyes
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2017 at 02:58
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'll have to take it out for a spin... or two ;) Zanov's latest too!

How do you find the new Accordo Dei Contrari?

Last two days:
Donna Summer - Love to Love You
Calibro 35 - Live From S.P.A.C.E.
Deep Purple - In Rock
Schnauss & Munk - Passage (Speaking of taking music outside, I heard this while mesmerized by the ocean.)
Can - Future Days (The ultimate Summer album!)
Cosmic Ground - III

Edited by Meltdowner - July 26 2017 at 03:07
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2017 at 06:07
Yesterday:

Van Halen - 5150
Hadal Sherpa - Hadal Sherpa 
Marshall Tucker Band - A New Life
Yes - Relayer
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2017 at 06:22
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I'll have to take it out for a spin... or two ;) Zanov's latest too!

How do you find the new Accordo Dei Contrari?

Last two days:
Donna Summer - Love to Love You
Calibro 35 - Live From S.P.A.C.E.
Deep Purple - In Rock
Schnauss & Munk - Passage (Speaking of taking music outside, I heard this while mesmerized by the ocean.)
Can - Future Days (The ultimate Summer album!)
Cosmic Ground - III

You should seeing your recent affinity for those beautiful icy new wave synths Really what separates this album from other such psych rock efforts. Takes me back to LA Düsseldorf and Gary Numan often recalling the latter's sense of melody...and I am just a sucker for a good simple synth melody/hook. Some things do not need to be overly complicated *cough* Keith Emerson *cough*. The fact that we get guitar solos from a much improved axeman is also very much welcomed.

AdC's new? T'was my first spin but my initial impression soundwise was something like The Soft Machine after Third and you're not that far off. Really digging it but obviously need more spins.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2017 at 13:46
Walter Wegmüller - Tarot
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 03:17

You should seeing your recent affinity for those beautiful icy new wave synths  Really what separates this album from other such psych rock efforts. Takes me back to LA Düsseldorf and Gary Numan often recalling the latter's sense of melody...and I am just a sucker for a good simple synth melody/hook. Some things do not need to be overly complicated *cough* Keith Emerson *cough*. The fact that we get guitar solos from a much improved axeman is also very much welcomed.

AdC's new? T'was my first spin but my initial impression soundwise was something like The Soft Machine after Third and you're not that far off. Really digging it but obviously need more spins.
From this one and Maserati's latest. It sure deserves more love on PA, are you planning on writing a review? Mine is still the only one.

Cool! I'll give it a listen, I already had the Bandcamp page opened on my browser.

Italian Wednesday Big smile
Balletto di Bronzo - Ys
Semiramis - Dedicato a Frazz
Campo di Marte - s/t
Doris Norton - Raptus
Unreal City - La Crudeltà di Aprile
Quella Vecchia Locanda - s/t
Mosaico - Vola
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 03:55
I don't own that Maserati album but I remember digging it the time I span it off bandcamp. I'd love to review IV, but it'll have to wait until this captcha non-sense is gone. It's a matter of principle. If the owner expects a database with reviews ornamenting the frontpage then it is not that much to ask for a platform that doesn't sabotage one's work. 

Great Italiano day btw Samuel. Do you by any chance have any Battiato albums in your collection by now?

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 04:29
Hard to believe we're still here after three months with this cr*p. I'd probably give up if it was any other site. Too bad, I'd love to read it. If it's half as good as your In The Future review it's still a great one :)

Not yet. There are just too many vintage/modern RPI albums I really want.

By the way, be careful with those Doris Norton reissues, they're full of cuts and newly added recordings... the digital pipe organ made me cringe :(
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 04:55
Yesterday:

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Tangerine Dream - Cyclone
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 11:21
Hey Tymon, looks like Black Bombaim will play for the first time in Poland... with Peter Brötzmann ;)

Today:
OMD - Dazzle Ships
Tangerine Dream - Tangram
Floating Points - Reflections-Mohave Desert
Julie's Haircut - Invocation and Ritual Dance of My Demon Twin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 19:57
Emtidi - Saat
Don McLean - American Pie
Quella Vecchia Locanda - Il Tempo Della Gioia
Metamorfosis - Papallones I Elefants
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2017 at 00:40

Hey Tymon, looks like Black Bombaim will play for the first time in Poland... with Peter Brötzmann ;)

Sweeeeet! Big smile Thanks for letting me know! I'll see how busy I'll be (the festival takes place at the exact other end of the country from where I live, sadly), but it would be great to see them play - I enjoyed their album with Brötzmann very much. Again, thanks so much for the heads-up, Sam! Wink

Yesterday:
Steve Kuhn - Trance
Faust - 71 Minutes

Edited by ALotOfBottle - July 28 2017 at 00:41
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2017 at 03:34
^ I hope you'll make it, it was an awesome concert last year. I'm always reluctant about suggesting concerts in other countries, considering my notions of distance, since I can get to every point of mine in a few hours. To be honest, I first thought they'd play here because Jantar means dinner in Portuguese :P
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2017 at 11:31
Kitaro - Daichi
Torga Ostera - Queda Ascendente
Petrus Castrus - Ascensão e Queda
Uxu Kalhus - Extravagante
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2017 at 13:09

^ I hope you'll make it, it was an awesome concert last year. I'm always reluctant about suggesting concerts in other countries, considering my notions of distance, since I can get to every point of mine in a few hours. To be honest, I first thought they'd play here because Jantar means dinner in Portuguese :P

See, that's one of the great things about living in smaller-medium-sized countries like Portugal. If I were going by car, it would take me probably 9 hours to get to the place of the concert. But we will see. And actually, in Polish, Jantar is an old term for amber, which is generally known as a symbol of the Polish Pomerania. Tongue

Don Cherry & The Jazz Composer's Orchestra - Relativity Suite (Heart)
Holger Czukay and Rolf Dammers - Canaxis
Magma - Köhntarkösz

Edited by ALotOfBottle - July 28 2017 at 13:12
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 01:10
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Magma - Köhntarkösz

Nice! Hell of a lineup, especially that Cherry disc. Pretty much anything by The Jazz Composer's Orchestra and its members (Carla Bley especially) is worth listening to. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 01:26
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Magma - Köhntarkösz

Nice! Hell of a lineup, especially that Cherry disc. Pretty much anything by The Jazz Composer's Orchestra and its members (Carla Bley especially) is worth listening to. 

Organic Music Society (which, funnily, features a lengthy track called "Relativity Suite") will be listened to today! Smile Something tells me I will enjoy this one a lot. Recently, I'm in love with Don Cherry's music. It's been a while since I've listened to anything from him and I want to get to know his discography as well as I can now. Which album of his is your favorite? Embarrassed
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 01:59

Magma - Köhntarkösz

Organic Music Society (which, funnily, features a lengthy track called "Relativity Suite") will be listened to today! Smile Something tells me I will enjoy this one a lot. Recently, I'm in love with Don Cherry's music. It's been a while since I've listened to anything from him and I want to get to know his discography as well as I can now. Which album of his is your favorite? Embarrassed

His four truly great albums are Complete Communion, Symphony For Improvisers, Eternal Rhythm, and Mu, with Communion being his greatest, but I've got a feeling you'd prefer Eternal Rhythm. Perhaps you've already heard all of those, but they're always worth a relisten; I know of no other artist or band that has made four albums with the same extraordinary level of quality (Van Der Graaf Generator has three). I will never refuse an opportunity to rave about the man; he's underappreciated enough in the jazz world. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 02:22

Magma - Köhntarkösz

His four truly great albums are Complete Communion, Symphony For Improvisers, Eternal Rhythm, and Mu, with Communion being his greatest, but I've got a feeling you'd prefer Eternal Rhythm. Perhaps you've already heard all of those, but they're always worth a relisten; I know of no other artist or band that has made four albums with the same extraordinary level of quality (Van Der Graaf Generator has three). I will never refuse an opportunity to rave about the man; he's underappreciated enough in the jazz world. 

Cool! I'll listen to all four in the following days. I think I've already heard Mu, Symphony and maybe Communion, but, as you said, they're probably always worth a relisten. Indeed, an excellent, but underappreciated artist. Although the music is much different, I feel like there is a certain similarity between his musical vision and that of (my absolute favorite) Sun Ra in terms of that whole far-off-ness and paradoxically familiar one-of-a-kind-ness, if that makes any sense. Sorry for getting a bit off-topic. Organic Music Society now, Communion later today or tomorrow. Smile

Edited by ALotOfBottle - July 29 2017 at 02:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 134135136137138 522>