Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 145146147148149 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 11:05
Hey it's good to be back. Been posting from my iPhone and haven't had any problems so far.
Uhh and another fan of that Mono No Aware album? Good man. Good times for electronic fans altogether as this year has seen some real gems in that spectre of the musical world. Narkopop and World Eater are qually great releases imo.

I get what you're saying about scent. Up here it is accompanied by distinct blueish light that goes very well with Tangerine Dream's Rubycon if I do have to say so myself.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 20:03
Gryphon - Raindance
Fred Frith & Ensemble Modern - Traffic Continues
Paul Simon - S/T
Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear
Klaus Schulze - Timewind
Weidorje - Weidorje

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - September 17 2017 at 22:06
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 06:38
Back at work, so the flood of listens kick in again:

Eden – Erwatung
Maxophone - La Fabbrica delle Nuvole
Hawkwind – Space Ritual
Hawkwind – Complete ‘79
Glass Hammer – Valkyrie
Glass Hammer – The Breaking of the World
Anekdoten – Until All the Ghosts are Gone
Electric Orange – Live in Wurzburg, Cairo 2015
Electric Orange – Time Machine (1992-2015) – GREAT compilation of rare/unreleased/etc pieces.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 06:38
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Hello everyone!
Finally had some time to listen to music today...
Hey Sagi, good to see you here again, sorry to hear about your leg though. Keep listening to the Ozrics, I believe it has healing powers Wink

Last week of vacation:

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 09:07
Thanks Sam! I've been on an Ozric streak for a long time now and yes actually it does help Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 09:19
I would have trouble sitting still if I were blasting The Ozrics all day...but yeah maybe that is actually benficial if one needs to train a leg or something

Yesterday:

Eloy - Planets
Adrian Young - Something About April
Jorge Palma - Con Uma Viagem Na Palma Da Mão
Elder - Reflections Of A Floating World
Cocteau Twins - Victorialand
AMM - Ammmusic
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Savanna - Dreams To Be Awake
The Heliocentrics - A World Of Masks
Ryley Walker - Primrose Green
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 21:40
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Beau Dommage - Beau Dommage
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 23:59

Hello everyone!

Hey Sagi, good to see you, mate.

Was hoping you'd pop up sooner than later, I was keen to know what you thought of the new Maxophone album? I just always associate you with that debut album, you're the biggest fan of it that I know. I'll be posting a review for it in the next 24 hours, but it seems like a lot of people have been very impressed by it.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 02:36
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Hello everyone!

Was hoping you'd pop up sooner than later, I was keen to know what you thought of the new Maxophone album? I just always associate you with that debut album, you're the biggest fan of it that I know. I'll be posting a review for it in the next 24 hours, but it seems like a lot of people have been very impressed by it.
Hey Michael, it's been a while and I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do, I missed most of this year's releases though I did get that Maxophone album right away.
To tell you the truth I can't say I've worn it out, I knew I'm gonna buy it right away although I had no high expectations for it, it was obvious to me that it will not rise to the heights of their first album. Of course it should be judged on its own merits and to be overshadowed by the debut.
It is a good album no doubt about it, it's nice to see they can still deliver that Maxophone complexity and vibes, those moments really throw you back and always makes me smile Big smile
I think the melodies are good the playing is great and there are a few outstanding moments that's for sure but I just didn't went nuts about it, plus add the issue I have with the modern Italian production.
So actually it's everything I thought it would be.
I don't want to sound negative because I do like the album very much, though I'm not sure I'd grant it with the fourth star, maybe I need to spin it more it might click after all.
You know what I'm gonna play it right now...Tongue

Edited by Sagichim - September 19 2017 at 02:38
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 02:55
You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth Sagi. I respect Maxophone for their work and all but it just doesn't grab me like the debut did...and yes I too blame the modern production values! Damn...and to think that there are so many young bands, also outside of prog, that produce albums enamoured by the warmer and more analogue sound of old...and actually do so successfully. Oh well one can't account for taste.
It does warm my heart to see the band receiving some well-deserved love.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 03:09
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I would have trouble sitting still if I were blasting The Ozrics all day...but yeah maybe that is actually benficial if one needs to train a leg or something  

Yesterday:
I don't move a lot while playing them but my mind goes to places Cool

How is Mr. Palma treating you? Smile 
I still haven't heard my copy of the new Elder Embarrassed

Yesterday:
Unreal City - Frammenti Notturni (First listen. I'm truly impressed Big smile)
Ford Theatre - Trilogy for the Masses
Trace - s/t
Tangerine Dream - Tangram (The more I listen to it, the more I think it's a top 5 TD album.)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 03:10

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Hello everyone!

Hey Michael, it's been a while and I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do, I missed most of this year's releases though I did get that Maxophone album right away.
To tell you the truth I can't say I've worn it out, I knew I'm gonna buy it right away although I had no high expectations for it, it was obvious to me that it will not rise to the heights of their first album. Of course it should be judged on its own merits and to be overshadowed by the debut.
It is a good album no doubt about it, it's nice to see they can still deliver that Maxophone complexity and vibes, those moments really throw you back and always makes me smile Big smile
I think the melodies are good the playing is great and there are a few outstanding moments that's for sure but I just didn't went nuts about it, plus add the issue I have with the modern Italian production.
So actually it's everything I thought it would be.
I don't want to sound negative because I do like the album very much, though I'm not sure I'd grant it with the fourth star, maybe I need to spin it more it might click after all.
You know what I'm gonna play it right now...Tongue

You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth Sagi. I respect Maxophone for their work and all but it just doesn't grab me like the debut did...and yes I too blame the modern production values! Damn...and to think that there are so many young bands, also outside of prog, that produce albums enamoured by the warmer and more analogue sound of old...and actually do so successfully. Oh well one can't account for taste.
It does warm my heart to see the band receiving some well-deserved love.

All good, Sagi....The Archives keep on, we all bumble in and out when we can

I think as much as I mostly really like it, it not only takes until about the fourth track onwards to start really getting to the great stuff, but I don't feel it actually sounds much like the debut at all, or has much to associate it with Maxophone at all. I mean, it sounds like a reliable and fine modern RPI album the equal of many of the comeback and modern releases, and there is a ton of variety on it, but I think if I didn't know it was Maxophone, I probably would just think its `another Italian prog band'?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 03:22
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Unreal City - Frammenti Notturni (First listen. I'm truly impressed Big smile

Wow, excellent, man, you really dug it? You feel it's reliable enough but frequently has new elements to keep things fresh on it too?
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 03:32
It doesn't sound like the debut at all I agree but still Mr. Lattuada has his keyboards runs that definitely sound like the Maxophone trademark, top that with Ravasini's vocals of course. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 03:36
^ I feel they've outdone themselves, and you know how much I like Il Paese del Tramonto. It has more mature compositions and production, better keyboards, more inventive guitar playing and a tighter rhythmic section. I very much liked the female backing vocals too.

About classic/modern RPI, I consider two different genres, I don't even compare albums from one era with another. I don't think they should stick with the production values of the past, at least it doesn't sound sterile to my ears like most new British Prog.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 04:27
FUZZY DUCK - s/t
YES - Drama
GENESIS - s/t (Shapes)........
......and now........NILE - In Their Darkened Shrines   (coz I feel like a brutal blast.....)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 04:53
I guess you're right Michael - it doesn't sound like Maxophone at all and maybe should be listened to accordingly. I know I was expecting a new Maxophone album and as a result was somewhat let-down by my findings. Yet another one of those cases where expectations are detrimental to one's actual enjoyment of the music.

I also agree with you Samuel: I should probably stop comparing old RPI with new as the two seem miles apart. I don't mind modern production though if it's implemented in a healthy way. I really don't like it when it seems to iron everything out to a homogeneous pulp, where sudden musical explosions and drummer's delight notions end up sounding plain and scaled down as if the producer had a case of perfection-disease. 

The most recent Ingranaggi Della Valle album was produced in a very modern way yet I found it brilliant...but I was able to detect dynamics and fire from the band throughout the course of the album. Yeah go figure. 

Speaking of Italy, yesterday was largely centred around the bootshaped country:

Il Balletto di Bronzo - Ys
Le Orme - Contrapuntti
Dedalus - s/t
Tangerine Dream - Tangram (per Samuel recommendation...and woe and behold if I didn't enjoy it far more than I use to...)
David Bowie - Blackstar
Dr. John - Gris-Gris (Welcome to the Bayou boyo!)
VA - Mono No Aware
The Winstons - s/t
Gaudi - Magnetic (Seriously this is some damn tasty stuff!!! Bob Marley goes contemporary prog electronic...without vocals)

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 05:57
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Yesterday:
I don't move a lot while playing them but my mind goes to places Cool

How is Mr. Palma treating you? Smile 
I still haven't heard my copy of the new Elder Embarrassed

Yesterday:
Unreal City - Frammenti Notturni (First listen. I'm truly impressed Big smile)
Ford Theatre - Trilogy for the Masses
Trace - s/t
Tangerine Dream - Tangram (The more I listen to it, the more I think it's a top 5 TD album.)

Love me some Jorge, thanks man. I'm not sure why but the whole feel of the album remnds me of Pescado Rabioso's Artaud (which effectively just was a solo album from Spinetta (the guy from Invisible)) and that ly friend is some pretty high praise coming from this dane. Sure the two don't actually sound the same but still.

Funny how that goes, I haven't heard any of the old Elder albums so there you go. The new one is really tasty and unlike my usual self I am digging those emo/emotional hardcore vocals; often the very thing that detracts from my enjoyment of the music.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 06:40
Tonight's choices:

Arti e Mestieri – Tilt
Ikarus – s/t - I should love this, but I can’t help but feel the lead vocals let it down.
Spock’s Beard – The Oblivion Particle
Barock Project – Detachment
Cellar Noise – Alight
Electric Orange – Volume 10
Electric Orange – EOXXV (disc one) - new album...seems good, but...just more of the exact same of the last two albums without the more memorable moments...unless there's something lurking on the second disc waiting to blow us all away!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 08:34
^^ I'm really glad to read that. Yeah I agree, it has a similar vibe. By the way, a bit of trivia, it has some things in common with Quarteto 1111's "Cantamos Pessoas Vivas": same studio, same producer and same drummer.

The vocals are hardly essential in their music, most of the time you can barely hear them over the wall of heavy guitars :P

Edited by Meltdowner - September 19 2017 at 08:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 145146147148149 522>