Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 147148149150151 520>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 04:54
Tonight's choices for me:

Arabs in Aspic – Victim of Your Father’s Agony
Maxophone – La Fabbrica delle Nuvole
Gentle Giant – Interview
Van der Graaf Generator – Godbluff
Gila – s/t
Yes – Close to the Edge
Tangerine Dream – Force Majeure
Alpha Wave Movement – Echoes in the Vacuum
Alpha Wave Movement – Cerulean Skies
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 05:12
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'm still stuck on Vol 10 mate so I really can't comment on what has come out after although I remember digging Misophonia the few times I've spun it...but I keep reaching for Vol 10 if I want a little Electric Orange.
Hah those Ikarus vocals are indeed atrocious. They were the only thing bringing the album down if I remember correctly, but it's been ages since my last spin.

Well, I have keep spinning the new Electric Orange one, mate, and I was probably very hasty in my somewhat early dismissal. Playing it LOUD delivers much more satisfying results! So I'll keep at it...I'm actually a little OD'd on E. OJ at the moment, bought three recent discs of them in the one go!

That Ikarus album...it was a blind buy, because it literally sounded on paper like everything I dig about those kind of jazzy/adventurous proto-prog kind of albums, and there was also THAT cover to fall in love with...but yeah, very quickly I keep coming back to the opinion of `Oh, man, just stop f*cking singing for a bit!!' But as you kind of suggest, everything else about is top-notch and totally reliable. Will keep at it!

I know exactly what you mean. EO can get a little samey which is why I tend to stick to the releases where they pull it off best ie Vol 10, Morbus and Krautrock From Hell.

Life's too short for great music with horrendous vocals....or is it? I've been listening to a fair bit of Eloy lately and while I think the new Joan of Arc reeks of retirement home, I keep on coming back for Planets.
Seriously though that new one needs a kick up its own backside. I hear a lot of great potential marred by far too sleepy and polite playing.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 05:17
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Just spotted Artaud there Samuel - how did it fare?
It has a great vibe indeed. Maybe some keys here and there would make it even better.

Yesterday:
Casiopea - s/t
Bit - s/t
Jorge Palma - 'Té Já
Porcupine Tree - Staircase Infinities
Hugh Hopper - The Stolen Hour
La Curva di Lesmo - s/t

That was my first thouht as well! Some keys would do this album good I have since then changed my mind but I obviously see where you're coming from.

Love that PT comp - dreamy as a soap bubble.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 05:23
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Kebnekaise - s/t (folk rock meets nordic folk music meets fusion meets Krautrock...straight outta Sweden! One of my old faves)

David, is this the one you mean?

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5003

If so, yep, totally agree. Especially improves after the first track too...and absolutely a Krautrock album in it's own way!

Oh yes that's the one!
It is also known simply as 'll'.
I most definitely hear it as a "Krautrock" even if that makes no sense whatsoever. It is currently sitting on the shelf between Dzyan's Time Machine and Walter Wegmüller's Tarot
Sweden in particular had something of a pseudo Krautrock scene with Älgarnas Trädgård, Arkimedes Badkar (second album), Arbete & Fritid, International Harvester and the likes.

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 05:44

That was my first thouht as well! Some keys would do this album good I have since then changed my mind but I obviously see where you're coming from.

Love that PT comp - dreamy as a soap bubble.
It will probably sound better with more spins though. Sometimes less is more... he says while listening to Zeit Cool

Yes indeed, and Gavin Harrison is nowhere to be heard Clap

(for once I forgot to copy my post and that's when I get a f**king captcha Ouch)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 05:48

Less is more yes but I think Zeit somehow is above that. There's so much going on only it's happening 'on the same frequency' so all those synths, organs and cellos somehow jello together in one big gulp of gelatinous mass. I can imagine sperm whales putting this on before having sex.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 06:17
All this time I thought they played Underwater Sunlight Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 08:22
Hah I can vividly imagine that!
Would be cool to set out to make an album recorded specifically for different animals' mating rituals. Prog electronic may just be THE style to do something like that in.
Hey! Did I just deliver you your next album on a silver platter Samuel?

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 21 2017 at 08:25

- Douglas Adams
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 08:23
Bathing with Master Klaus:

The Rhodes Violin from Shadowlands
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 11:32

Hah I can vividly imagine that!
Would be cool to set out to make an album recorded specifically for different animals' mating rituals. Prog electronic may just be THE style to do something like that in. 
Hey! Did I just deliver you your next album on a silver platter Samuel?  
Only if you provide the cover LOL

Today:
Focus - Moving Waves
Tangerine Dream - Zeit
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 12:13
Deal

Now you just need to do some field recordings - maybe upload them to your synth and pretty soon you'll be able to play birds and horses a la Floyd only you probably have more exotic creatures to chose from in your backyard.
This could actually work (also without having to be tongue-in-cheek). There's something very elegant and sensuous about the way animals move that I feel could be mimicked through music.

- Douglas Adams
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 22:47
Jolly - The Audio Guide to Happiness Part 2
Black Mountain - Wilderness Heart
The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
Harmonium - Les Cinq Saisons
Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond
Beardfish - +3626-Comfortzone
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Yes - 90125
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 07:21
NILE - In Their Darkened Shrines
JAPAN - Tin Drum
MICK KARN - Dreams of Reason Produce Monsters
MICK KARN - Titles
GROBSCHNITT - Kinder und Narren
RAMSES - La Leyla
OPETH - Orchid

Edited by Tom Ozric - September 22 2017 at 07:22
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 11:33

This could actually work (also without having to be tongue-in-cheek). There's something very elegant and sensuous about the way animals move that I feel could be mimicked through music.
I'm really not the best person to express it though. I prefer machines for inspiration, it's probably why I love the motorik beat Tongue

Just two today:
Metallica - ... And Justice For All (With a pause halfways, it's so unnecessarily long.)
Torga Ostera - Queda Ascendente (I felt like listening to Floyd.)
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 22:07
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Jose Cid - 10 000 Anos Depois Entre Venus E Marte
Willie Nelson - Honeysuckle Rose
Allman Brothers - The Complete Fillmore East Recordings: 71/3/13 (First Show) 
Van Halen - Van Halen II
Eagles - One of These Nights
Eagles - Hotel California

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 04:53
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Jose Cid - 10 000 Anos Depois Entre Venus E Marte
Willie Nelson - Honeysuckle Rose
Allman Brothers - The Complete Fillmore East Recordings: 71/3/13 (First Show) 
Van Halen - Van Halen II
Eagles - One of These Nights
Eagles - Hotel California

Y'know, The Eagles suck, but I have One Of These Nights, and I think it's alright !! Especially The Sorcererr. Love the title track too, and, the song from Long Run called I Can't Tell You Why. Cool sh*t !!!!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 06:46
Last two nights:

Arena Di Tollo Maras – ADM
Astrolabio – L’Isolamento dei Numeri Pari
Barock Project – Detachment
Museo Rosenbach – Zarathustra
Le Orme – Felona e Sorona
Le Orme – Contrappunti
Krokodil – Getting Up for the Morning (Not their classic, but still a mostly GREAT album)
Universal Totem Orchestra – Mathematical Mother
Yves Potin/Jazzcomputer.org – Forest Stairways
Alpha Wave Movement – Echoes from the Vacuum
Cosmic Ground – s/t
Steve Roach – Nostalgia for the Future
Jeff Pearce – From the Darker Season
Electric Orange – XXOVV
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 13:53
2 great albums today...
Elder - Lore
A Silver Mount Zion - He Has Left Us Alone, But Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 22:37
Yezda Urfa - Sacred Baboon 
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - Rocket Science
Yes - Drama
Alas - Pinta Tu Aldea
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2017 at 15:08
Some current Gauthier with a lot of Magma guys, do you get all of them?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 147148149150151 520>