Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 160161162163164 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 20:51
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Faust - Fresh Air (One of the year's finest imo. Took me exactly two spins to 'get' the opening titletrack. Haven't looked back since. How did it fare with you Hubert? I saw you span it the other day;)
I didn't expect much going into it having not heard anything after Faust IV but I must say I'm greatly impressed. By far the best post-70s Krautrock album I've heard. It's great to see the guys haven't lost any of their magic. It's very different from the first 4 albums (more accessible in a way; more clean sounding) but still recognizably Faust. Not a single dull moment.

Prog album of the year? I'm tempted to say yes.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 21:34
Unstable Ensemble - Embers
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Lol Coxhill - Ear of Beholder
Miasma and The Carousel of Headless Horses - Perils
Nachtluft - Jikan To Kuukan
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 21:43
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Mike Oldfield - Incantations

How do you like that one? There's a scrappy, intrepid band of rebels who seem to view it as Oldfield's best work (an opinion I find increasingly tempting) but then there's the entirely coherent and understandable counterpoint that it's a bloated and self-indulgent mess. It's a mystifiying album, to be sure.

I have no qualms with it. I would probably consider it my favourite Oldfield album, but only because I'm not a huge fan of his stuff in general. I have no real problems with the length or repetitive nature since it's a very pleasant collection of sounds to fill the room with for 70 minutes, even if it doesn't venture very far in that time. If I had to rate it, I'd probably give it a good ol' middle of the road 3 stars.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 02:57
I didn't hear anything after Faust IV either but now I'm curious to check that one out.

Only new releases:
Vespero - Shum-Shir
Tohpati Ethnomission - Mata Hati
Monarch Trail - Sand
Unreal City - Frammenti Notturni
Quantum Fantay - Tessellation of Euclidean Space
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 04:23
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Faust - Fresh Air (One of the year's finest imo. Took me exactly two spins to 'get' the opening titletrack. Haven't looked back since. How did it fare with you Hubert? I saw you span it the other day;)

I didn't expect much going into it having not heard anything after Faust IV but I must say I'm greatly impressed. By far the best post-70s Krautrock album I've heard. It's great to see the guys haven't lost any of their magic. It's very different from the first 4 albums (more accessible in a way; more clean sounding) but still recognizably Faust. Not a single dull moment.

Prog album of the year? I'm tempted to say yes.

Cool man I'm glad you liked it. It seems to be a rather polarising Faust album in that half of my buddies love it like I do whilst the other half feel it is the equivalent of watching paint dry. Oh well.
Faust has made a couple of noteable releases since the 70s including one genrebreaking collab with Dälek where hip hop meets industrial krautrock, but it's been a while since they released something as inspired as this imo. The last release was a strange experiment where Faust delivered a rudimentary musical foundation on which other artists preferably should build their music on. Sorta like an official collab with everyone and anyone willng to partake. Must admit I've only heard the blueprint and wasn't impressed. Would be cool to hear what the music has transformed into in the hands of say Hanson, Death Grips and Boy George fx...anything I am not expecting tbh.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 11:10

Would be cool to hear what the music has transformed into in the hands of say Hanson, Death Grips and Boy George fx...anything I am not expecting tbh.

I always thought there was something at least slightly krautrocky about Death Grips. Love that band. Smile

For me:
Burial - Untrue
Gary Burton - Seven Songs for Quartet and Chamber Orchestra
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 11:26
Yeah me too Tymon although I feel it is more of a feeling than an actual tangible ingredient to the music. Reminds me of the more noisy acts such as Faust and perhaps even more the acts that came in the wale of Krautrock such as Zoviet France and Throbbing Gristle....but with hip hop at the epicentre.

Today:
Agusa - Agusa
Klaus Schulze - Androgyn
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland
Charles Mingus - Oh Yeah
Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation
Dzyan - Time Machine
Genesis - Duke
LCD Soundsystem - American Dream

Btw Love Untrue and most other Burial releases. Recently I've been too much into the Rival Dealer ep to spin any ogher of his. Such a great little record. I do wish he'd start releasing full albums again. Methinks the eps are a little overpriced compared to what one actually gets for the money.

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 22 2017 at 11:39
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 20:18
Jackie-O-Motherf**ker - Wow!
Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 21:41
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere
Carpe Diem - En Regardant Passer Le Temps

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - November 22 2017 at 22:19
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2017 at 00:07

Btw Love Untrue and most other Burial releases. Recently I've been too much into the Rival Dealer ep to spin any ogher of his. Such a great little record. I do wish he'd start releasing full albums again. Methinks the eps are a little overpriced compared to what one actually gets for the money.
I agree about the EP value. And about Death Grips. I didn't enjoy Rival Dealer all that much, though. But Kindred might very well be my favorite EP of his. 
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2017 at 04:16
Funny how that goes. I thought those two eps felt somewhat similar. Rival Dealer does have the looong epic chillout track though (which I absolutely adore. Also great for mating rituals ).

This morning:
Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain
Hooffoot - s/t
Igor Wakhevic - Hathor

- Douglas Adams
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2017 at 19:47
The Books - The Lemon of Pink
Gang Gang Dance - Saint Dymphna
Sonic Youth - Goo
Boris - Pink
Mac DeMarco - 2
KRS-One - KRS-One
Sun Ra - Other Planes of There
Dirty Three - Toward the Low Sun
Art Zoyd - Generation sans Futur
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2017 at 22:35
Robert Ashley - Private Parts
Jackie-O-Motherf**ker - The Magick Fire Music
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2017 at 01:03

Funny how that goes. I thought those two eps felt somewhat similar. Rival Dealer does have the looong epic chillout track though (which I absolutely adore. Also great for mating rituals ).

I thought Kindred was a bit darker and more "sitting-at-a-London-underground-station-at-4am." I'm definitely willing to reconsider, though! And I'll take your word on the mating rituals! Big smile
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2017 at 03:12
Torga Ostera - Queda Ascendente
Vindication - s/t
Wallenstein - Cosmic Century
Banzai - Hora Nata
Causa Sui - Vibraciones Doradas
Sunroof! - Cloudz
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2017 at 09:09
Night: A Blessing of Tears (repeat)
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2017 at 10:49

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2017 at 11:58
Today:

Area - Maledetti
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland
Soft Machine - Vol 2
Charlie Haden - Liberation Music
Milton Nascimento - Milton
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Pharoah Sanders - Elevation
FSOL - Dead Cities
Death Grips - Niggas On The Moon

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2017 at 12:44
Good day!

Bo Hansson - Sagan om Ringen
Sun Araw - Belomancie
Levitros - Kara Kaslar EP
Death Grips - Exmilitary (probably my favorite DG release)
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2017 at 15:47
The Underfall Yard - Big Big Train
Map of the Past - It Bites
Aja - Steely Dan
White Spirit - White Spirit
Sanctuary - Robert Reed
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 160161162163164 522>