Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 165166167168169 520>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 14:36
I hope you get a chance to see them live. That is indeed the way to go with Causa Sui. I especially like the way Skøtt sounds in a live setting. Drrrrrums.

How did you find the new Wobbler album btw?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 16:33
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Now that's a Prog epic! Big smile
Epic? Yes, that's what I was going for. LOL

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It was actually pretty interesting reading and cool to see what you've been spinning lately. I'm the other way around regarding Bushman's Revenge in that I vastly prefer the recent slow ooze spicing things up instead of the 100 miles an hour onslaught, which still is a lot of fun. I just dig the ebb and flow of dynamics in Jazz... in the same way I prefer Elephant9's Silver Mountain which also dug deeper into more floating and chill atmospheres...though still packed full of Carolina Reaper bits!
Glad you're enjoying BR, but you're doing it wrong! Tongue SM's my favourite E9 album, too, though. Funny how music works!

Where is the new Ulver btw? Heh I think I am in the minority on this one but I love it to bits regardless of its pop sensibilities and electronica. Judging by what you're currently listening to I fear you'll hate it with a vengeance
I have it, but haven't listened to it yet. A bit sceptical after reading a bit about it, but I'm ready to give it a chance!

I have The Tower btw...just haven't gotten around to it yet. Must rectify.
I need to revisit it soon myself. From what I remember from hearing it a couple of times before their concert back in September, it's another strong release from these guys, but I don't remember too much details from it.

I also didn't spot the most recent eventyr album from Tusmørke called Bydyra. I got it here the other day and am head over heels in love! It sounds like the music from one of my favourite Danish cartoons 'Cirkeline' - y'know that saucy good slightly psychedelic yet highly melodic jazz rock that often adorn old school tv shows and cartoons.
There is even a song that includes the high pitcted mouse vocals of what I presume is the Norwegian cousin to our Danish Ingolf (think the mouse voices off Cinderella).
Sounds like Dungen were hired to make an album for hippie children.
I have, but haven't gotten around to listen to the two new Tusmørke albums either. Hopefully they're a notch or two up from their last two albums. For my money, they haven't quite managed to replicate the brilliance of their debut. A children's album from these guys sounds like a perfect match though, so I'm especially looking forward to hear that one.

Oh and you're quite right I did the frontcover to Cascata. My name sounds very close to Gudbrandsen (the famous Norwegian valley) though with an extra 'l'.
Gudbrandsdalen, yes, I have family up there. A beautiful painting fitting the beautiful music. Good job, both of you! Clap

Anyway, last couple of days:

Metallica - s/t
Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime (PM's usually not my thing, but this album just ticks all the right boxes for me.)
Rush - Hemispheres
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV
Stefan Wenger - Ortus
Ruphus - New Born Day
Høst - På sterke vinger
Undertakers Circus - Ragnarock
Susanne Sundfør - Music for People in Trouble (First impression: really good. Her best yet? Mmm...possibly.)

Edited by The Bearded Bard - December 07 2017 at 17:08
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 18:39
Today's and yesterday's list.

Roger waters-- pros & cons of hitch hiking
Roger waters-- Radio Kaos ( pretty great album. Love the Mel Collins saxophone.
Queensryche: operation mindcrime ( finally tracked down an original cd pressing of this album and it is light years better than the 2006 catastrophe remaster found in the box set I bought many years back. If anyone wants a piece of advice, stay away from any Queensryche remasters. They are absolute garbage and that includes the 24-bit digital remasters as well. Stick with original pressings. :)
Supertramp-- breakfast in America (blu ray audio)
Rush-- Signals (blu ray audio)
Genesis-- we can't dance (it's a great album and a lovely recording. Can't knock it. ;)
Ministry-- Filth Pig
Lunatic soul-- 2
DIO-- last in line
Ozzy osbourne-- no more tears ( a loud mix, but still a highly listenable record at a higher volume. ;)
NIN-- down in it (EP Halo 1)
Fields of the Nephilim -- Psychonaut EP (1989)
Pink Floyd-- The Division Bell (original pressing)
Iron maiden--Fear of the Dark ( original pressing and the last of the Martin Birch era. What a fantastic cd. Huge punchy sound with loads of dynamics. Something that doesn't exist in today's metal releases. )
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 20:18
Yesterday:
Organization - Tone Float
Tortoise - It's All Around You
Agalloch - The Mantle
King Crimson - The Great Deceiver (disc 3)
Arco Iris - Los Elementales
Captain Beefheart - Shiny Beast [Bat Chain Puller]
Art Zoyd - Phase IV
Bubu - Anabelas

Today:
Celeste - Principe di un Giorno
Bowery Electric - Beat
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Giles, Giles and Fripp - The Cheerful Insanity Of
Lo Borges & Milton Nascimento - Clube da Esquina
Gang Gang Dance - Saint Dymphna
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 21:55

ZU - Jhator (One of the year's most interesting and baffling releases. I don't quite know what to make of it yet but it was a real experience yesterday)

Hmm, that's more or less how I felt the first couple of times I listened to it; an absolutely jaw-dropping, seat-of-your-pants cinematic kind of listen. But I found that after listen number four or so it more or less lost its effect. Hopefully it stays fresher longer for your ears, though. It has been a couple of months since my last listen, though, so maybe it's just one of those to periodically revisit to appreciate its full immensity. 

Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Arco Iris - Los Elementales

Awesome choice, among the many others you seem to have in regular rotation. Hopefully I'll be unwrapping this one under the tree in a few weeks time. Big smile

Anyway, here were today's picks:

Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere
Yes - Tormato
Deluge Grander - Oceanarium (A pretty serious AOTY contender)
Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination
Cirkus - Wild Dogs (A pretty big disappointment; I normally love Quebecois groups, and especially with all the high ratings this one had been getting I had been expecting this one to be one of my AOTY candidates. Unfortunately it just struck me as being so flat and uninspired that I couldn't even get through the first three tracks)
Hadal Sherpa - Hadal Sherpa
Nau Aletheia - Los Misterios de Eleusis
Island - Pictures (The whole city is engulfed in a fog so thick I can barely see across the street; this is exactly the kind of mindbogglingly eerie musical palette that such weather demands!)
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2017 at 19:30
Last Few Days:

Taylor's Free Universe - Family Shot
Aube - Cardiac Strain
Sam Rivers - Crystals
Black Dice - Creature Comforts
Battles - Mirrored
Eliane Radigue - Trilogie De La Mort
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2017 at 22:30
ELP - Pictures At An Exhibition
Samuel Cadima - Cascata
Beau Dommage - Ou Est Passee La Noce?
Kairon; IRSE! - Ruination
Shylock - Gialorgues
Trace - Trace
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2017 at 02:28
Yesterday:
Bruce Haack - The Electric Lucifer
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2017 at 06:35
Pink Floyd- The Wall ( O so good!! Never a stale revisit. )
Pink Floyd-- The division Bell
Iron Maiden-- Fear of the dark
Prince-- Purple Rain ( okay I just wanted to hear that guitar solo again off 'let's go crazy' ;)
Ministry-- The mind is a terrible thing to taste
Lunatic Soul-- Walking on a flashlight beam ( still love it!)
Metallica-- S/T ( some of the greatest audio engineering by Randy Staub in all of metal and music in general exists on this record. What a delight. )
Mike Oldfield-- Ommadawn ( DVD audio 24/96k) I should by part 2 of this album. :)
Pink Floyd-- Meddle
Circus Maximus-- live in Oslo (Blu ray audio)
Front 242-- Up Evil
Marco Beltrami-- world war Z score
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2017 at 07:00
Bo Diddley: First album
YUP: Lauluja Metsästä
Going to listen next Suicide´s first album.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2017 at 22:34
Allman Brothers Band - Fillmore East Closing Show (71/6/27)
Strunz & Farah - Frontera
PFM - L'isola di Niente
Carpineta - Carpineta
Agusa - Agusa
Space Debris - Behind the Gate
Vespero - Shum-Shir
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2017 at 00:07

Was asked to provide music for a friend’s birthday. Kept it to stuff I thought might be appealing to the people present. Played these: 

Tortoise - TNT
Can - Future Days
Jaga Jazzist - A Livingroom Hush

With bits off of:
Neu! - Neu!
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will
Vulfpeck - Vollmich/Thrill of the Arts
Tortoise - Tortoise/Standards
Weather Report - Heavy Weather/I Sing the Body Electric
Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup/Dots & Loops
King Crimson - Discipline
Portishead - s/t
Don Caballero - What Burns Never Returns/American Don
Ashra - New Age of Earth
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Luciferian Towers
Do Make Say Think - Goodbye Enemy Airship the Landlord

Had to send out this very list to a few people who requested it. That kind of thing is always lots of fun.

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2017 at 01:48
^Killer list!

Yesterday:
Centipede - Septober Energy
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2017 at 03:01
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

<span style="font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;"></span><span style="font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">Now that's a Prog epic! </span>Big smile
Epic? Yes, that's what I was going for. LOL

It was actually pretty interesting reading and cool to see what you've been spinning lately. I'm the other way around regarding Bushman's Revenge in that I vastly prefer the recent slow ooze spicing things up instead of the 100 miles an hour onslaught, which still is a lot of fun. I just dig the ebb and flow of dynamics in Jazz... in the same way I prefer Elephant9's Silver Mountain which also dug deeper into more floating and chill atmospheres...though still packed full of Carolina Reaper bits!
Glad you're enjoying BR, but you're doing it wrong! Tongue SM's my favourite E9 album, too, though. Funny how music works!

Where is the new Ulver btw? Heh I think I am in the minority on this one but I love it to bits regardless of its pop sensibilities and electronica. Judging by what you're currently listening to I fear you'll hate it with a vengeance
I have it, but haven't listened to it yet. A bit sceptical after reading a bit about it, but I'm ready to give it a chance!

I have The Tower btw...just haven't gotten around to it yet. Must rectify.
I need to revisit it soon myself. From what I remember from hearing it a couple of times before their concert back in September, it's another strong release from these guys, but I don't remember too much details from it.

I also didn't spot the most recent eventyr album from Tusmørke called Bydyra. I got it here the other day and am head over heels in love! It sounds like the music from one of my favourite Danish cartoons 'Cirkeline' - y'know that saucy good slightly psychedelic yet highly melodic jazz rock that often adorn old school tv shows and cartoons.
There is even a song that includes the high pitcted mouse vocals of what I presume is the Norwegian cousin to our Danish Ingolf (think the mouse voices off Cinderella).
Sounds like Dungen were hired to make an album for hippie children.
I have, but haven't gotten around to listen to the two new Tusmørke albums either. Hopefully they're a notch or two up from their last two albums. For my money, they haven't quite managed to replicate the brilliance of their debut. A children's album from these guys sounds like a perfect match though, so I'm especially looking forward to hear that one.

Oh and you're quite right I did the frontcover to Cascata. My name sounds very close to Gudbrandsen (the famous Norwegian valley) though with an extra 'l'.
Gudbrandsdalen, yes, I have family up there. A beautiful painting fitting the beautiful music. Good job, both of you! Clap

Anyway, last couple of days:

Metallica - s/t
Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime (PM's usually not my thing, but this album just ticks all the right boxes for me.)
Rush - Hemispheres
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV
Stefan Wenger - Ortus
Ruphus - New Born Day
Høst - På sterke vinger
Undertakers Circus - Ragnarock
Susanne Sundfør - Music for People in Trouble (First impression: really good. Her best yet? Mmm...possibly.)

I'm doing it wrong? My preferred way bar none!

I am listening to that Sundfør album btw. I seem to change my mind about it all the time though. Today the start of the album seemed so slow and unengaging that I seriously questioned how I just the other night had been completely head over heels in love with this. 2-3 tracks later and suddenly the music starts to gel again...
Hmmm maybe it is one of those deals where you genuinely have to be in a certain mood to 'get it'. Nah strike that, maybe it's just me who needs to be in a particular mood.

The new Ulver is an album that I really love. In fact so much so I'm seriously pondering whether or not to bestow upon it the all-important AOTY-title. Just feels a little weird on a prog rock site but then again half of my list isn't really what I'd call prog rock either. More like experimental.
One thing about the album: unlike most other Ulver releases this one actually starts out with the album's least interesting tunes. I really like em but the remainder of the album only gets better adding new wave and post-punk touches to the gorgeous contemporary electronics palette.

Yesterday:
Bushman's Revenge - Jazz...
Mumpbeak - Tooth
Band Of Gypsys - Live at the Fillmore
Canzionere del Lazio - Miradas
The Budos Band - ll
Suburban Savages - Kore Wa!
Thundercat - Drunk
Faust - So Far
Stormy Six - L'Apprendista

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 10 2017 at 03:03
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2017 at 07:02
Mason + Fenn: Profiles
Patti Smith: Horses
Steppenwolf: For Ladies Only
Pere Ubu: Why I Hate Women
Soft Machine: Third
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2017 at 09:16
I'm in love with those:
Holderlin - Holderlin Traum
La Dusseldorf - Viva
Grobschnitt - Solar Music Live
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2017 at 12:38
Hatfield and the North - Hatfield and the North
Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Duster - 1975
Burail - South London Boroughs
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2017 at 13:57
Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2017 at 22:17
PFM - Storia Di Un Minuto
Mad Fellaz - Mad Fellaz
Maxophone - La Fabbrica Delle Nuvole
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 04:15

How did you find the new Wobbler album btw?
At first listen I liked it more than Rites, there's a nice Folk sound to it.

Since Friday:
Rick Wakeman - Criminal Record
Love Machine - Circles
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
Jorge Palma - O Lado Errado da Noite
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra
Eloy - Ocean
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 165166167168169 520>