Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 180181182183184 521>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 10:09
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Harmonia – Live 1974 (Tymon, I bet you love this one! Great sound and wonderful pieces!)

Correct! Love this one. Big smile And love this whole early period of Harmonia. That music is unlike anything else. Also, if you liked this one, you might also enjoy Documents 1975. It's similar in style in terms of having hypnotic, repetetive, "cute"-sounding synth-dominated soundscapes, but a few tracks have Mani Neumeier on drums, who gives them a very unique quality.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - January 15 2018 at 10:16
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 12:15
Tony Conrad With Faust: Outside the Dream Syndicate
Comus: First Utterance
Deluge Grander: Oceanarium
Mytologinen Duo Airaksinen/Helander: Golden Age
Link Wray and His Raymen: Jack the Ripper
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 19:18
Last few days:

Harry Partch - 17 Lyrics of Li Po (x2)
Grouper - Way Their Crept
Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
The Sea and Cake - The Sea and Cake
Naked City - Radio
Naked City - Absinthe
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 21:57
Earth, Wind & Fire - Greatest Hits
Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Kairon;IRSE! - Ruination
Unreal City - Frammenti Notturni
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 09:27
Weedpecker - III (It's good but since I have two Elder albums I barely spun I'll pass this one.)
Acqua Fragile - A New Chant
Hoelderlin - s/t
Shylock - Île de Fièvre (A good King Crimson fix, since I have all my KC albums on vinyl and a damaged needle.)
Samuel Cadima - Cascata (I definitely shall give more attention to EQ, it's such a mess at times.)
Ashra - New Age of Earth Heart
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 11:03
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Last few days:

Partch is just so great! Haven´t heard this though.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 11:07
Eppu Normaali: Cocktail Bar
Faust: You Know FaUSt
the Stranglers: No More Heroes
Kevin Ayers: Joy Of a Toy
Chicago: s/t
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 11:48
Went through the entire Airbag back catalogue. Great stuff - but I have to admit the sound is remarkably Pink Floyd meets Porcupine Tree, especially on All Rights Removed. The title track is so reminiscent of Time Flies from The Incident album - which most of us agree was Steven Wilson in magpie mode, especially taking themes from Animals. I know I'm not the first to mention this, but thought I'd do so anyway.

Probably thought The Greatest Show on Earth was the best today, but that might change next time I listen to the band. Derivative, yes - but still good stuff!

“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 18:31
Cymande - Cymande
Cymande - Second Time Around
Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
Gila - Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee
Nico - Desertshore
Aphex Twin - Syro
Labradford - Mi Media Naranja
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 19:22
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Last few days:

Partch is just so great! Haven´t heard this though.

Check it out; it's incredibly unique yet surprisingly enrapturing given its unconventional set up (one voice, one custom violin)

As for me, an appropriately gloomy set of slowcore albums for my first day back in classes Ouch

Bedhead - WhatFunLifeWas
The For Carnation - The For Carnation
Low - Long Division
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 03:19
Tangerine Dream - Sydney 1982 (The quality is a bit rough but what a show!)
Greenslade - Spyglass Guest
Spleen Arcana - The Light Beyond the Shades
Girón - Clouds
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 04:46
Yesterday:
Lard Free - III
Harmonia - Documents 1975
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 05:42
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Went through the entire Airbag back catalogue. Great stuff - but I have to admit the sound is remarkably Pink Floyd meets Porcupine Tree, especially on All Rights Removed. The title track is so reminiscent of Time Flies from The Incident album - which most of us agree was Steven Wilson in magpie mode, especially taking themes from Animals. I know I'm not the first to mention this, but thought I'd do so anyway.

Probably thought The Greatest Show on Earth was the best today, but that might change next time I listen to the band. Derivative, yes - but still good stuff!

I feel the same way about Airbag and I also think The Greatest Show On Earth is their best to date. Gotta love the wonderful homage to Welcome To The Machine in Call Me Back.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 05:46
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Weedpecker - III (It's good but since I have two Elder albums I barely spun I'll pass this one.)
Acqua Fragile - A New Chant
Hoelderlin - s/t
Shylock - Île de Fièvre (A good King Crimson fix, since I have all my KC albums on vinyl and a damaged needle.)
Samuel Cadima - Cascata (I definitely shall give more attention to EQ, it's such a mess at times.)
Ashra - New Age of Earth Heart

EQ?
Ahh nevermind. Estonian quiz right?
Anyway I'd absolutely love it if you sprinkled your sophomore release in more Estonian quizes. They have been my forté for a long time now.

Yesterday:
Boards Of Canada - Geogaddi
Blanck Mass - World Eater
Fela Kuti - Zombi
Perry Leopold - Christian Lucifer
Between - And The Waters Opened
ZU - Jhator
Egg - s/t
Thundercat - Drunk
Sam Rivers - Streams
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 07:17
^ Equalization. I couldn't even point to Estonia on a map Embarrassed
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 07:44

Check it out; it's incredibly unique yet surprisingly enrapturing given its unconventional set up (one voice, one custom violin)

Yes, I will!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 07:47
Radiopuhelimet: Radiopuhelimet Rakastaa Sinua
Caravan: Cool Water
the Stranglers: Rattus Norvegicus
the Cure: Bloodflowers
Eleanoora Rosenholm: Älä Kysy Kuolleilta, He Sanoivat

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 08:46
I listened to all four Comedy Of Errors albums yesterday.
Great band.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 10:10
Fired these delightfully into my ear canals today /yesterday. And may I say that each and every disc heard on this list is of top quality fidelity. Really exceptional stuff. Great sounds...great engineering/production.

B.B King-- completely Well
Helmet--Strap It On
Skinny Puppy--Bites
Black Sabbath--We Sold Our Souls For Rock 'N' Roll
Supertramp-- Even In The Quietest moments
The Beatles-- Please Please Me
Mötley Crüe-- Decade of Decadence
Depeche Mode-- Enjoy The Silence (Maxi Single.)
James Brown-- In The Jungle Groove
Rush-- Presto (SACD)
DIO-- Strange Highways (SHM)
The Moody Blues-- Days of Future Passed ( I bought the 2017 Deluxe 50th ann 2cd/DVD audio set. It is amazing and worth buying. )
Depeche mode-- Violator (5.1 surround mix)
Queensrÿche-- The Warning
Shamall-- Is This Human Behavior?
Lunatic Soul-- Fracture
APP--stereotomy
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 13:56
Been going through some of the Bob Catley catalogue - the stuff he did after he left Magnum and then Hard Rain and the subsequent Magnum reunion. Some very good songs within the albums if you look for them. Legends and Middle Earth in particular. Melodic rock with prog overtones - a bit like Magnum in fact. Not afraid of quoting Greek myths and a bit of Tolkien, like an old school progger!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 180181182183184 521>