Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 206207208209210 520>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 12:21
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

P'faun - Sp'roque

Haven't listened to all of that yet, mate. I thought the opening track was pretty dreary with the endless guitar soloing, but seem to recall when I gave it a spin a week or two back that it improved greatly from there?
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 12:44
Jelly Jam 2 - Hadn't heard it in years and it sounds gooooooood
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 13:47
Siouxie and the Banshees - Hyæna: Robert Smith on board for this one. Judging by The Cure's The Top, Rob was trippin' hard in 1984, and the psychedelics carry over to this album. I like this one a lot though, with "Swimming Horses" being one of my favorite songs by them. "Blow the House Down" is a pretty demented closer too.

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail: One of the only Genesis albums I never owned when I was young, without the nostalgia factor, I find it a good listen but not a fav. Very "tea and biscuits" prog, and it shows how much Peter was in control during Lamb. Not sure I agree with those who think this is where the pop angle germinated, as it's less commercial than plenty of Lamb tunes. Nice drumwork, needs more Hackett.

Demi Lovato - Tell Me You Love Me: I saw my wife's cover of the current In Style mag she gets for free, and I had a hard time taking my eyes off that healthy looking babe. Didn't know what to play on Spotify for my morning commute, thought of that huggable figure and hit play. I guess this is her "mature" album, lots of R&B influences and awkward F-bombs everywhere. Not a let-down since I expected it to suck, which it did. I try to keep in touch though.

Katy Perry - Witness: I figured that since the album cover was grotesque and this thing just sort of came and went without fanfare, it might actually be an interesting pop listen. Well, it is, in a way because it's just so terrible it makes Demi's album I had just checked out seem like Bowie's last album in comparison. It's artistic in how it removes any fun qualities out of pop music and adds loads of horrific uncatchy bunk. It's genius in how terrible it is. Or maybe it's just not very smart crap.

Root - The Book: Satanic heavy metal without thrashy speed. The singer has a clean mean baritone voice, giving the album a more sinister vibe than your typical black metal goblin shrieks could convey. Unique and bizarre, although it works better as a whole than as individual songs, as some of the tunes are weirdly structured.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 13:54
OK, on nightshift so everything's reversed, I'm back again with tonight's choices already :

Yes – Progeny: disc 1+2: Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto 31-10-1972

Luciano Cilio - Dialoghi del Presente
Lino Capra Vaccina - Antico Adagio

Blues Pills – s/t
Child – s/t – Aussie bluesy stoner/psych debut from 2014, cover looks superb on vinyl (probably a bit more exciting than the album .

Zone Six – LP reissue of the original 1998 debut that now strips the female vocals for a purely instrumental version. I’ve had that original CD as well for almost twenty years and the vocals were always decent on it, but this new all-instrumental version takes the album to another level.

Spaceslug – Memories and Reminiscence

Low Orbit – Spacecake – seriously, best cover art in AGES?! It especially looks amazing on vinyl:
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 15:43
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Siouxie and the Banshees - Hyæna: Robert Smith on board for this one. Judging by The Cure's The Top, Rob was trippin' hard in 1984, and the psychedelics carry over to this album. I like this one a lot though, with "Swimming Horses" being one of my favorite songs by them. "Blow the House Down" is a pretty demented closer too.

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail: One of the only Genesis albums I never owned when I was young, without the nostalgia factor, I find it a good listen but not a fav. Very "tea and biscuits" prog, and it shows how much Peter was in control during Lamb. Not sure I agree with those who think this is where the pop angle germinated, as it's less commercial than plenty of Lamb tunes. Nice drumwork, needs more Hackett.

Demi Lovato - Tell Me You Love Me: I saw my wife's cover of the current In Style mag she gets for free, and I had a hard time taking my eyes off that healthy looking babe. Didn't know what to play on Spotify for my morning commute, thought of that huggable figure and hit play. I guess this is her "mature" album, lots of R&B influences and awkward F-bombs everywhere. Not a let-down since I expected it to suck, which it did. I try to keep in touch though.

Katy Perry - Witness: I figured that since the album cover was grotesque and this thing just sort of came and went without fanfare, it might actually be an interesting pop listen. Well, it is, in a way because it's just so terrible it makes Demi's album I had just checked out seem like Bowie's last album in comparison. It's artistic in how it removes any fun qualities out of pop music and adds loads of horrific uncatchy bunk. It's genius in how terrible it is. Or maybe it's just not very smart crap.

Root - The Book: Satanic heavy metal without thrashy speed. The singer has a clean mean baritone voice, giving the album a more sinister vibe than your typical black metal goblin shrieks could convey. Unique and bizarre, although it works better as a whole than as individual songs, as some of the tunes are weirdly structured.

Nothing to add, except that I enjoy writeups like this. Keep it up. :D
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 15:43
Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band | Safe as Milk
Phish | Vegas 96
Guerilla Toss | Eraser Stargazer
Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band | Trout Mask Replica
Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band | I May Be Hungry But I Sure Ain’t Weird
Phish | Junta
Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band | The Mirror Man Sessions
WaMu | Viaf**kt
Sun City Girls | Dante’s Disneyland Inferno
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 22:14
Curved Air - Second Album
Brave New World - Impressions On Reading Aldoux Huxley
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 23:40
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band | I May Be Hungry But I Sure Ain’t Weird
I believe this is one of the versions of "It comes to you in a Plain Brown Wrapper", meaning that Beefheart second double album that was never released, but parts of it was released later in Mirror Man? Has it got something different as Mirror Man Sessions? Did you know 2008 sundazed released also an version with the original tittle (here´s it in discogs):
https://www.discogs.com/Captain-Beefheart-His-Magic-Band-It-Comes-To-You-In-A-Plain-Brown-Wrapper/release/1562309

Edited by Mortte - March 17 2018 at 13:24
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 00:02
SBB - Ze Slowem...
Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Fabrizio di Andre - La Buona Novella
Do Make Say Think - s/t
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 00:40
Yes - Close to the Edge
Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans
Rush - Hold Your Fire
Rush - Power Windows
Genesis - Foxtrot 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 13:28
King Crimson: Three Of a Perfect Pair
Heartbreakers: Live at the Max`s Kansas City
Renaissance: Novella
Magazine: Play.
Lightnin' Hopkins: Lightnin' & the Blues
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 15:01
Hype Williams - One Nation
Monoton - Monotonprodukt 07
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 16:48
Santana - Lotus
Spock's Beard - V

Then I made a Yes playlist based on the provisional setlist for tomorrow's concert I'm attending:

Yours Is No Disgrace/I've Seen All Good People/Sweet Dreams/South Side of the Sky/Onward/Mood for a Day/Wonderous Stories/Parallels/And You and I/The Revealing Science of God/Leaves of Green/RitualRoundabout/Starship Trooper

Looks a great choice of songs - I know it's not quite the Yes I wish I was seeing - but should be a fun and nostalgic night to celebrate 50 years of one of my favourite prog bands
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 18:23
Terje Rypdal - Odyssey (3 disc set)

I'm addicted!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 23:06
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Gentle Giant - Civilian 
Gentle Giant - Giant for a Day!
King Crimson - Discipline 
King Crimson - Beat 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 02:26
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Gentle Giant - Civilian 
King Crimson - Beat 

Sounds like an awesome day! Clap

Yes - Close to The Edge
Yes - Relayer
Gentle Giant - In a Glass House
Billy Cobham - Total Eclipse
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 02:41
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Gentle Giant - Civilian 
King Crimson - Beat 

Sounds like an awesome day! Clap

Yes - Close to The Edge
Yes - Relayer
Gentle Giant - In a Glass House
Billy Cobham - Total Eclipse
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Yours does too Smile
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 07:48
Great little Sunday for me. Spent some time with with my 2 best friends... Music and my beautiful girlfriend.

Enigma-- The Cross of Changes
Delirium-- Karma
Dream Theater-- Train of thought. ( big praise for this one! Was really in the mood for it. )
New Order-- Substance (1987)
The Cure-- Show (live 1993)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 07:52
Originally posted by omgitshadzija omgitshadzija wrote:

Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Rainbow - Rising 
Rainbow - Long Live Rock'n'Roll 

What a heavenly DIO line up.
Your ears must be in sheer bliss mode. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 07:57
Nick, talk about symmetry! I just finished listening to the self-titled Dream Theater album from a few years back now, and here you are! And I haven't spun DT in months either!

Hey, I also picked up several of the later 80's/early 90's Black Sabbath albums very cheap today at the first record fair of the year - `Tyr', `Cross Purposes', `Dehumanizer' etc for a couple of bucks on CD each

Hope you've been well, mate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 206207208209210 520>