Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 209210211212213 520>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 19:54
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia: So I received the white vinyl edition of this recently. I know the album well, but I was interested in the K-Scope insert advertising "post-progressive" sounds. Apparently post-prog is a thing. I haven't heard that term used much, if at all...maybe I just wasn't paying attention. "Post-Prog", man, what a messy addition this could add to this site...

Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love: I just got this on orange vinyl. I always thought "Spanish Castle Magic" deserved more love. That song ticks all the boxes, killer grooves and memorable trippy (occasionally silly) lyrics. It should have been one of those tunes on rotation like any number of his "Smash Hits" numbers.

Kimbra - The Golden Echo: I dig female vocals over catchy good pop music, including when it goes for the "smart" and "artsy" angle. But you really gotta look for the good ones (I try too often). Whereas Lady Gaga's "Artpop" and Katy Perry's last album are more "crimes against humanity" than "art pop", Kimbra's second album can at least be considered art pop. It's still a bummer, in that there's no great song within. Either the songs are obnoxious with one cool section, or cool but partially ruined by one obnoxious section. It's a total mess, but an ambitious mess at least.

Yes - Time and a Word: It does seem like the orchestra gets in the way sometimes, but other times it doesn't bother me. I will say this, "Sweet Dreams" is such a great pop song, great hook and it just makes me feel good, or as Jon would say, it makes me feel like sun blossoms by the river of hope and understanding. Thanks for your contribution to Yes, David Foster.

Edited by Prog Sothoth - March 21 2018 at 19:56
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 22:13
Van Halen - Van Halen
Pink Floyd - Animals
Joe Satriani - Not of This Earth
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 02:56
Yesterday

Yes - Relayer
Yes - Drama
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 03:20
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Yes - Time and a Word: It does seem like the orchestra gets in the way sometimes, but other times it doesn't bother me. I will say this, "Sweet Dreams" is such a great pop song, great hook and it just makes me feel good, or as Jon would say, it makes me feel like sun blossoms by the river of hope and understanding. Thanks for your contribution to Yes, David Foster.
It's a personal favourite of mine, I really like the orchestra even if it sounds cheesy :D

Yesterday:
Ash - A-Z Vol.2
Franz Ferdinand - Always Ascending
PFM - Storia di un Minuto
Lena d'Água - Perto de Ti
Vangelis - Spiral
Casiopea - s/t
AC/DC - Back in Black
King Crimson - USA
Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygène
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 07:08

Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love: I just got this on orange vinyl. I always thought "Spanish Castle Magic" deserved more love. That song ticks all the boxes, killer grooves and memorable trippy (occasionally silly) lyrics. It should have been one of those tunes on rotation like any number of his "Smash Hits" numbers.
I think the whole album deserves much more love. With Electric Ladyland my true Hendrix favourites. Only "hits" have been little wing and If 6 Was 9, although all the songs are just great (I love even stereo version EXP, one of the first experimental pieces in pop-rock music). Some reason Jimi himself didn´t play a lot songs from this album in his gigs, I think Spanish Castle Magic & Little Wing are the only ones he played also later. But very great when there are that BBC 3lp, there are really great versions of many Bold pieces.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 10:13
Last few days:
Steamhammer - MKII
Emeralds - Does It Look Like I'm Here?
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 10:54
Faust: Abzu
Yes: Open Your Eyes
Jean Sibelius: Symphony Nr.2
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 11:56
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

No.2 - great! Still my favourite symphony! A credit to your homeland, Mortte
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 14:44
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

It's a personal favourite of mine, I really like the orchestra even if it sounds cheesy :D

Yeah, the first time I heard the album I thought the orchestra was kinda jarring, but I got into it the second time around. Poor Banks, he hated the orchestra, thus the orchestra got the boot, along with him!

I think the whole album deserves much more love. With Electric Ladyland my true Hendrix favourites. Only "hits" have been little wing and If 6 Was 9, although all the songs are just great (I love even stereo version EXP, one of the first experimental pieces in pop-rock music). Some reason Jimi himself didn´t play a lot songs from this album in his gigs, I think Spanish Castle Magic & Little Wing are the only ones he played also later. But very great when there are that BBC 3lp, there are really great versions of many Bold pieces.
It's bold, but doesn't get the love. I swear there's a better chance of hearing "Love and Confusion" than anything on Axis on the radio outside of Little Wing. I guess that's why I dig this album so much...it's never been overplayed so the album still sounds reasonably fresh and new to meSmile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 17:01
Genesis - Foxtrot
Yes - Close to The Edge
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 18:46
Yesterday:

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
Can - Ege Bamyasi
Cos - Babel
Peter Hammill - The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage
Emeralds - Does it Look like I'm Here?

Today:

The Doobie Brothers - Toulouse Street
Autechre - Incunabula
Owen Pallett - Conflict
Osanna - Palepoli
Harold Budd - Pavillion of Dreams

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 23:29
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

No.2 - great! Still my favourite symphony! A credit to your homeland, Mortte
I think it has said his european symphony, maybe that´s the reason why it´s not my favourite Tongue. Well, I love all his symphonies, but my favourites are 1,3,4 & 6. I think in those he has succeeded to put most the feeling of Finnish nature. Now listening them in order, next will be 3.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 23:33

It's bold, but doesn't get the love. I swear there's a better chance of hearing "Love and Confusion" than anything on Axis on the radio outside of Little Wing. I guess that's why I dig this album so much...it's never been overplayed so the album still sounds reasonably fresh and new to meSmile
Well, in Finland you don´t hear Jimi on the radio at all. Which is on the other hand great, because you don´t get bored to him. BTW Love Or Confusion is my big favourites from Are You Experienced. Also he didn´t played that in his gigs, I know there only one other version from that in that BBC-album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 23:56
Yes - Going for the One
Genesis - And Then There Were Three
Rush - Permanent Waves 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 00:01
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Genesis - Foxtrot
Yes - Close to The Edge
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

Clap
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 00:25
Bard - Big Big Train
The Difference Machine - Big Big Train
Close to the Edge - Yes
Red - King Crimson
Acquiring the Taste - Gentle Giant
Map of the Past - It Bites
Peter Gabriel (Car) - Peter Gabriel
The Ravages of Time - Threshold
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 05:32
Yes: Magnification
Pere Ubu: the Art Of Walking
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds: Skeleton Tree
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 10:46
Tangerine Dream - Force Majeure
Automat - s/t
YMO - s/t
Asgard - Tradition & Renouveau
Rui Veloso - Fora de Moda
Push Kings - Far Places
Harmonium - s/t
Harmonium - Si on Avait Besoin d'Une Cinquième Saison
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced...
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 10:54
Men at Work - Cargo
John Otway - Greatest Hits
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 11:09
This week: Nektar - A Tab in the Ocean

A good dozen times.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 209210211212213 520>