Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 245246247248249 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 03:00
Yesterday:

Autechre - Amber
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 07:11
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

The Doors | The Soft Parade
Any love for the Soft Parade? It's a personal favourite of mine, despite all the negative opinions.

I really also love this album, on the other hand all the Doors albums before Morrison´s death are really great IMO. One thing that makes them great is they´re all quite different.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 07:47
^ Yeah, they all sound so different it's hard to pick a favourite. I find Other Voices and Full Circle very enjoyable too. Manzarek's playing is what I like the most about them and he really gets the spotlight on those.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 12:03

^ Yeah, they all sound so different it's hard to pick a favourite. I find Other Voices and Full Circle very enjoyable too. Manzarek's playing is what I like the most about them and he really gets the spotlight on those.
I am thinking also they´re not as bad as their reputation is. But maybe they should have done them some other name, you can heard in them how important Morrison was to the band.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 12:05
Body/Head: No Waves
Jack Bruce: Harmony Row
the Turtles: Turtle Soup
Roy Harper: Recorded Live In Concert At Metropolis Studios, London
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 13:32
Autechre - Tri Repetae
Mac DeMarco - This Old Dog
Boards of Canada - A Few Old Tunes
Henry Cow - LegEnd
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 21:07
Arthur Brown | Requiem
Arthur Brown | The Voice of Love
Dungen | Stadsvandringar
Clash | Sandinista (sides 2 & 3)
Palm | Shadow Expert EP
Peter Hammill | Sitting Targets
Soft Machine | Third
Negativland | Over the Edge (radio show archive 1993): Piddle Diddle Disneyland
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 21:09
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

The Doors | The Soft Parade
Any love for the Soft Parade? It's a personal favourite of mine, despite all the negative opinions.

I really also love this album, on the other hand all the Doors albums before Morrison´s death are really great IMO. One thing that makes them great is they´re all quite different.
i have a soft spot for Soft Parade. I was attached to it at a young age and It really takes me to my happy place.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 21:12

Jack Bruce With John McLaughlin Jon Hiseman Dick Heckstall-Smith: Things We Like
I’ve been a big Jack Bruce fan all my life, and I’ve always enjoyed this album a lot despite my general indifference to jazz (more so when I was young, but I’m slowly gaining a better appreciation of jazz as I get older).
Me too, always really love his songs in Cream. Somehow his solos had long been the ones "have to listen them someday". Finally I listened the whole "Songs For a Taylor" and yes, it´s masterpiece, really love the whole album! I am not also ever been big jazz fan, really love some Coltrane, Miles Davis and of course Sun Ra, but there it is. Didn´t know anything about that Bruce/McLaughlin/Hiseman/Heckstall-Smith-album before yesterday, it is ok, but really love more Bruce´s first. Going to listen his next solos soon!

What about those Ranaldo & Body/Head-albums I listened yesterday, they´re both quite new, have you heard them? I think in that Ranaldo album are two really great songs, the rest is also good, also liked quite much that new Body/Head-album.
i see you listened to Harmony Row today, that may be one of my top 5 all time, or if not, definitely top 10.
I have not heard that Ranaldo nor the Body/Head stuff, but I’ve made a note to check them out!

-Kehlog Albran
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 22:46

Jack Bruce With John McLaughlin Jon Hiseman Dick Heckstall-Smith: Things We Like
I’ve been a big Jack Bruce fan all my life, and I’ve always enjoyed this album a lot despite my general indifference to jazz (more so when I was young, but I’m slowly gaining a better appreciation of jazz as I get older).
Me too, always really love his songs in Cream. Somehow his solos had long been the ones "have to listen them someday". Finally I listened the whole "Songs For a Taylor" and yes, it´s masterpiece, really love the whole album! I am not also ever been big jazz fan, really love some Coltrane, Miles Davis and of course Sun Ra, but there it is. Didn´t know anything about that Bruce/McLaughlin/Hiseman/Heckstall-Smith-album before yesterday, it is ok, but really love more Bruce´s first. Going to listen his next solos soon!

What about those Ranaldo & Body/Head-albums I listened yesterday, they´re both quite new, have you heard them? I think in that Ranaldo album are two really great songs, the rest is also good, also liked quite much that new Body/Head-album.
i see you listened to Harmony Row today, that may be one of my top 5 all time, or if not, definitely top 10.
I have not heard that Ranaldo nor the Body/Head stuff, but I’ve made a note to check them out!
Really loved Harmony Row too, I think it is as great as Songs For a Tailor! Going to listen today Out Of the Storm, remember one of my friend said it great too.

Body/Head is quite noisy stuff, but I like their first album "Coming Apart", "the Switch" is also as good, "No Waves" was ok, but recommend to check those two first. Ranaldo´s album is more experimental than "Electric Trim" and not as good, but good anyway.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 02:48

i have a soft spot for Soft Parade. I was attached to it at a young age and It really takes me to my happy place.
That's great! I know how it is although with other albums :)

Yesterday:
Tony Banks - Five
Il Bacio Della Medusa - Seme
Anthony Phillips - The Geese and the Ghost
Mort Garson - Black Mass Lucifer

Edited by Meltdowner - July 18 2018 at 02:49
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 12:43
Jack Bruce: Out Of the Storm
John Mayall With Eric Clapton: Blues Breakers
Lee Ranaldo: Electric Trim
Ana Da Silva: the Lighthouse
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 13:43
The Madcap Laughs
Barrett
Opel
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 13:49
Enjoying the living heck out of glitchy electronics recently.

Autechre - LP5
Dania Shapes - Hologard
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 20:14
Arthur Brown’s Kigdom Come | Galactic Zoo Dossier
Chrome | The Chronicles
Peter Hammill | In Camera
Space Needle | The Moray Eels Eat the Space Needle
Frank Zappa | 200 Motels
Butthole Surfers | Independent Worm Saloon
Screaming Trees | Anthology 1985-1989 (SST years)

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 20:18
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Autechre - LP5
Dania Shapes - Hologard
i’ve been curious about Autechre. I’ve not delved too deep into electronic music but I do like it in some settings. I guess I prefer it more ambient and abstract (avant is my preferred domain, but like lo-fi kitch too); beats are ok as long as they aren’t the focus.
Any recs?

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 03:13

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Autechre - LP5
Dania Shapes - Hologard
i’ve been curious about Autechre. I’ve not delved too deep into electronic music but I do like it in some settings. I guess I prefer it more ambient and abstract (avant is my preferred domain, but like lo-fi kitch too); beats are ok as long as they aren’t the focus.
Any recs?
Yeah, I'm currently in the middle of my Autechre marathon. I thought it would be appropriate to finally give them proper full album listens, especially because I'm really into 90's IDM, glitch, and stuff like that at the moment. 

In case of Autechre, I'm afraid beats do play a very important role, but they are really fascinating once you really try to give in to them. Early Autechre albums, like Incanabula and Amber are relatively their most ambient works (also loads of beats, but also tons of soft, dreamy synths). Records like LP5 are extremely rhythm-based, as someone on YouTube put it, sometimes sound like "a spaceship malfunctioning," sometimes very difficult and demanding, but ultimately extremely rewarding to the listener. Definitely worth the effort.

If you would wish to explore that same scene, but perhaps with more abstract and ambient sounds, Boards of Canada might just be your thing, if you don't know them already. They are similar to Autechre in many ways, but far more "humane," less robotic, nostalgic, and, from a certain point of view, extremely psychedelic. In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country and Music Has the Right to Children are two of my favorite records from them and I really recommend giving them a try. If Autechre sounds to radical for you at first (as it did to me), Boards of Canada might be a nice place to head to. Again, beats are crucial to their signature downtempo sound, but melodies and synth landscapes are equally important in the music. 

Edited by ALotOfBottle - July 19 2018 at 03:14
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 05:47
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

The Madcap Laughs
Barrett
Opel
Je deviendrais fou après tout cela Wacko

Hier:
Onysus - Dyosun: Between Two Worlds
Malady - Toinen Toista
Plât du Jour - s/t
Kikagaku Moyo - The House in the Tall Grass
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet

Edited by Meltdowner - July 19 2018 at 05:48
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 12:58
Jean Sibelius: Symphony No.5/Tapiola
Pekka Pohjola: Views
Pere Ubu: Ray Gun Suitcase
John Parish: Bird Dog Dante
Rick Wakeman: the Myths And Legends Of King Arthur And the Knights Of the Round Table
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 13:24

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

The Madcap Laughs
Barrett
Opel
Je deviendrais fou après tout cela Wacko

Hier:
Onysus - Dyosun: Between Two Worlds
Malady - Toinen Toista
Plât du Jour - s/t
Kikagaku Moyo - The House in the Tall Grass
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet

Haha! Je crois comprendre. Plus jeune j'écoutais un de ses albums environ tous les 2-3 ans mais depuis quelques années ils (ces trois-là) reviennent assez régulièrement dans le lecteur...et c'est une excellente écoute a chaque fois! Il y a aussi que les désordres mentaux semblent s'amplifier avec l'âge.

Pendant ce temps:

Oink Floyd - The Early Years 1971
LivePhish - Providence 98 (the island tour, 3rd and terrific show)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 245246247248249 522>