Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 258259260261262 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 08:25
Hey Jim, thanks, but now that I look at it, pretty sure I wrote a few twice! That was three days or so worth of titles (although I legitimately did listen to a few of them more than once!)
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 11:52
Well capacha isn't giving me too much crap. Hi eveyone.

Today.

Ten city-- thats the way love is
New order-- brotherhood
Bryan ferry-- boys and girls
Dream theater-- the score
Ghost-- prequelle
Billy idol-- charmed life
I.Q-- Nomzamo ( i have really come around to appreciate this album. Strong recording too!)
Hans zimmer-- black rain (1989 motion picture score)
Paradise lost-- gothic
Opeth-- pale communion
A-Ha-- hunting high and low
Tears for fears-- tears roll down
Fates warning-- inside out

Not a bad day off. Love today !
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 17:52
Doobie Brothers - Toulouse Street
Low - Double Negatives
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
J Dilla - Donuts
Fishmans - Long Season
Brockhampton - Iridescence
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 18:36
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Hey Jim, thanks, but now that I look at it, pretty sure I wrote a few twice! 

Exuberance is good! :)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 02:25
Quarteto 1111 - Cantamos Pessoas Vivaaaaaaaaaaaas!
Uxu Kalhus - Extravagante
Trip Lava - Ounds
Witthüser & Westrupp ‎– Trips Und Träume
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 09:02
Only a couple today a few times over, both modern ones:

Lunatic Soul - Under a Fragmented Sky (another beauty from the Riverside fella)

The Sea Within - s/t - a definite grower, really improves from the fourth track onwards, although it's a shame there's so much singing on it, because the album really comes alive in the instrumental passages. Daniel Gildenlow may have a great range but he sure can be a draining, over-emotional singer (unless you're a Pain of Salvation fan, in which case you probably think he's one of the best modern prog vocalists! )
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 16:57
Dire Straits - s/t
Duster - Stratosphere
Parquet Courts - Wide Awake!
Apollo Brown - Clouds
James Ferraro - Marble Stuff
Coil - The Ape of Naples
The For Carnation - s/t
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 19:14
Voivod - The Wake: I never thought I'd hear something that sounds like Nothingface again, and that includes these guys...but here we are! It's not a direct replica, but it's crearly the era the band wanted to revisit with some modern twists. I'm really enjoying it!

Blue Oyster Cult - Mirrors: Okay, the revisit after so many years. Before it was only "The Vigil" I liked, but I gotta say I like some of these other tunes now, must be age catching up with me. "The Great Sun Jester" is quite cool, not sure why I wasn't a fan before, and I'm feelin' the hard rockin' fun of the opener and "I am the Storm". "In Thee" is interesting since I don't think I've ever heard the band sound so British musically. I find it's best if I stop listening once that Storm number ends...those last two aren't doin' it for me.

Blue Oyster Cult - The Revolution by Night: I'm actually enjoying this one more than expected. I did like it when it first came out since I was a BOC nut at the time. I got it for Christmas that year, along with Quiet Riot's Metal Health, which I promptly returned. Since it was store credit at a department store, my album options were limited...went with Peter Gabriel's "Security" without knowing what it sounded like outside of "Shock the Monkey". Turned out to be a very good trade-off! Anyways, I kept the BOC album, but after a while my interest in it faded. Now...dig that BASS in "Shooting Shark" dawg! "Veins" is a weird but interesting one ("veins in my eyeballs") in that the goofy electric drum pad thingies kinda work in spite of their now dated sound. Those tom pads on "Eyes on Fire" though...oof! Still, there's some good rockers here. "Let Go" gets a lot of crap, but I find it hilarious fun, like something Johnny and his gang from "The Marshall Plan" would crank out on stage.LOL

Blue Oyster Cult - Club Ninja: First listen. Umm...the first song is pretty good, and I like the guitar soloing during "Shadow Warrior", but that's more because the tempo suddenly lurches into "The Red and the Black" pacing during them. Other than that, much of this stuff sounds like songs played during the closing credits of some 80's sports movie in which some young guy beats the odds (and the entitled, arrogant opponent), wins the title and gets the girl. Drums are too loud and "80's" and the vocals are poorly mixed. The Howard Stern monologue at least cracked me up. If a bad song can put a big smile on my face...it's not really bad, laughter is a good thing! I'll also say that the last song actually wasn't bad at all with some groovy solos, even with the loud drums. 

Thanks to the BOC conversation here, curiosity got me in the mood!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 03:36
Tacita Intesa - Faro
Syndone - Mysoginia

Maruder View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 04:49
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Voivod - The Wake: I never thought I'd hear something that sounds like Nothingface again, and that includes these guys...but here we are! It's not a direct replica, but it's crearly the era the band wanted to revisit with some modern twists. I'm really enjoying it!

I can't believe that words. Looking for a source...

Today on me Slowdive - Souvlaki. Time for autumn.

Edited by Maruder - September 26 2018 at 04:51
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 15:52
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Thanks to the BOC conversation here, curiosity got me in the mood!

Indeed. Glad to hear you digging Mirrors.

And re Let's Go...you conjured a distant memory from me there.  I was at the Rev tour back then in my teen years.  And I remember the reaction to that song was very enthusiastic from the kids my age, if not so much from the older fans.  I remember clearly that kids my age loved the Rev by Night material generally. My buddies and I had been playing the album since its release and we loved it...what an awesome concert that was.  June 1984.

Edited by Finnforest - September 26 2018 at 15:57
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 16:21
Toby Driver - They are the Shield
ACDC - High Voltage
Van Halen - Fair Warning
Wishbone Ash - Argus
Indukti - SUSAR
Dungen - Ta Det
Kingston Wall II

Edited by Finnforest - September 26 2018 at 16:22
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 03:39
Charlotte Hatherley - True Love
Anna von Hausswolff - Dead Magic
Deep Purple - Made in Japan (First LP)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 10:46
Lunatic Soul - Under the Fragmented Sky
Loosense - Doze
Tacita Intesa - Faro
Riverside - Wasteland
Elephant9 - Greatest Show on Earth
Midori Takada ‎– Through The Looking Glass
Yellow Magic Orchestra - s/t
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 08:25
This past week:

Tommy Wright III - Ashes 2 Ashes, Dust 2 Dust
Skimask Troopaz - Underground Tape
Attrition - Death House
System Liliputt - Harpa
Traag - Surface World (A few times! One of the best industrial/noise albums I've heard in a while)
Onakabazien - Power of the Dollar
Robert Turman - Way Down

Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 09:10
Beatles - Let it Be
Beatles - Abbey Road
Neil Young - Zuma
BOC - Imaginos (still can't get into this one, not sure why)
Tull - Thick
Buckingham Nicks (quite a gem)
Jefferson Starship - mix
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 04:04
Deep Purple - Made in Japan (Second disc)
Fernando Sor - Guitar Duets Vol.1
The Black Wizards - What the Fuzz!
John Coltrane - My Favourite Things
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 07:04
Sam, last day of eleventh grade, I remember clearly walking home from school because I had missed the bus talking to friends in the hallway. As I passed the mall, I ducked one of the record stores (there were several in one mall!), and I walked out of there with Made In Japan.  It was like a gift to myself for surviving another year and I spend the summer dissecting that album. Good stuff.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 07:52
^ I have fond memories of Made in Japan also.  One of my buddies back then had a morning paper route that he did in the wee hours of the morning with his mom's old beat up station wagon.  I would ride with him some mornings (actually still up from the night before) and we would blast that album (cassette) endlessly.  Child in Time always blew me away!

Albums over the weekend:
Argent - Nexus
Kansas - Prelude Implicit
Miles Davis - On the Corner

For a couple of bucks, Picked up at a thrift store that we frequent quite a bit (that supports Alzheimer's research).
Trans-Siberian Orchestra - The Christmas Attic 
The Cars - s/t  (I had never heard any of their albums, only stuff on the radio, but this debut album is like a best of album, so many hits)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 17:38
^
Jim, I've been re-appreciating those first 4 Cars albums in a big way.  Such great pop songcraft but with a nice, heavy edge to it.  The guitarist is truly underappreciated. 

Strange day here...

Accept - Balls to the Wall
Gardens of Delights - Psych Underground 5, featuring Twilight, Eulenspygel, Albatros, Curly Curve, Xhol Caravan, Gila, Brainstorm, Erna Schmidt, Troya.
PF - Saucerful
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 258259260261262 522>