Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 271272273274275 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 11:09
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
I heard a song from it on the radio yesterday, I totally forgot how great it is. I'll have to remember to give it a listen next week.

Last two days:
ELP - Works Vol.1
Gabriel Fauré - Dolly Suite
Salto - Férias em Família
Not a Good Sign - Icebound
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 11:29
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Mission of Burma - Vs.
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
ooh nice

That MoB really rips

Does it ever. A friend overheard me listening to Television MM one day and said, well, that's a good album, but check out this band...even better.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 11:39
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
I heard a song from it on the radio yesterday, I totally forgot how great it is. I'll have to remember to give it a listen next week.

It's funny, Sam. Most of my life, I've had my troubles getting into Jeff Beck. This spin was different, the most I've ever enjoyed one from him. I really do believe that one's taste change, sometimes evolving, sometimes even regressing, but they are far from static.  And thus, review are really just a person's snapshot in time rather than a permanent record of one's opinion carved in stone.

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 16:58
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Credence is very nice in small dosages I find. I tend to spin Ramble-Tamble if I need some Credence.
Here's a weird admission...I've been a longtime CCR fan but I've never actually listened to Cosmo's Factory in its entirety. I'm not even sure if I've ever heard "Ramble Tamble" believe it or not! I own Green River, Willie and the Poorboys and Bayou Country on vinyl, and have listened to various compilations through the years. I'm sure I'm missing out concerning Cosmo's, and the songs I've heard from the debut seem swampy and cool like "Walking on the Water".
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 17:09

Mission of Burma - Vs.

Here's another crazy admission, I got into MoB through their Forget album which I bought I think in 1988, which is like a collection of real early stuff and some raw versions of later tunes. It almost sounds borderline noise-rock at times, and doesn't get a lot of praise. But I dug it's raw meanness to an extent that when I finally did check out their more famous output a year later, I found it a little "too nice" for some reason. I still dug it (it was Rykodisc's Mission of Burma compilation which I bought on cassette, just like Forget), but I still preferred some of Forget's crazy noisy numbers like "Anti-Aircraft Warning", "Eyes of Men" and "Head Over Head". I guess hearing it first helped, if I heard Vs. and Signals Calls and Marches first, I might have thought Forget to be too crude or something.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 17:19
Santana - Abraxas
Rollins Band - Live Chicago Metro (this band was just smokin' in this era. damn.)
LZ - Houses of the Holy
Laura Nyro - New York Tendaberry

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 17:21
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Credence is very nice in small dosages I find. I tend to spin Ramble-Tamble if I need some Credence.
Here's a weird admission...I've been a longtime CCR fan but I've never actually listened to Cosmo's Factory in its entirety. I'm not even sure if I've ever heard "Ramble Tamble" believe it or not! I own Green River, Willie and the Poorboys and Bayou Country on vinyl, and have listened to various compilations through the years. I'm sure I'm missing out concerning Cosmo's, and the songs I've heard from the debut seem swampy and cool like "Walking on the Water".

I really need to do this too.  I don't know if I've ever played their regular studio albums.  I only remember owning collections.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 02:36
Well shiver me timbers!
It boggles the prague mind that two men with such impeccable music tastes have never heard Creedence most proggy tune...or maybe that is just the extended coda talking...but man that thing is goosebumps inducing!
The song really reminds me of Free's Mr Big although Free does provide further technical prowess to the instrumental coda...but there is a bond there I feel. I mostly play albums from start to finish...but I have thing for these two tracks in succession.

Yesterday:
Popol Vuh - Seligpreisung
Amon Düül ll - Live In London
Perry Leopold - Christian Lucifer
Type O Negative - October Rust
Dead Can Dance - Spleen & Ideal
Ochre - Lemodie
Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Osorezan (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
The War Against Drugs - A Deeper Understanding (Dylan fronts The E-Street Band ca 1981)
Napalm Death - Scum
Ulver - Bergtätt
Wolves In The Throne Room - Celestite
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 09:58

Well shiver me timbers!
It boggles the prague mind that two men with such impeccable music tastes have never heard Creedence most proggy tune...or maybe that is just the extended coda talking...but man that thing is goosebumps inducing!
The song really reminds me of Free's Mr Big although Free does provide further technical prowess to the instrumental coda...but there is a bond there I feel. I mostly play albums from start to finish...but I have thing for these two tracks in succession.

So I just listened to Ramble Tamble on YouTube, and yeah, I've never heard it before. It rips!! And that middle part where it slowly speed up...just damn man I gotta get Cosmo's Factory in my collection now...lots of famous numbers on that beast as well. I'm guessing Ramble Tamble was just too cool for radio, hence why  I've never heard.

And ahh...Scum...Napalm Death were at their best when they were pure unabashed (and un-sullied by metal) grindcore IMO. And this is coming from a death metal nut.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 10:16
Guldie,  hope that back is feeling better. How'd you injure it?

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 20:26
Ramble Tamble was such a favorite of mine I actually burned out on it several years ago. I bet enough time has passed where I can safely hear it again. I had it on a mix CD I used to play all the time, mainly songs from my vinyl collection I really liked but didn’t have digitally.

Today featured these albums:

Roger Taylor | Strange Frontier
Procol Harum | Broken Barricades
This Kind of Punishment | A Beard of Bees
Amen Dunes | Love
Jandek | Brooklyn Wednesday
James Ferraro | NYC Hell 3 AM

Roger Taylor is from Queen of course. My interest in Queen stuff has been awakened a bit by the movie. Though my daughter has been a Queen fan for several years so they were still in regular rotation. But I hadn’t heard this Roger solo album in decades. I was a Roger Taylor fanboy in high school. I made tapes consisting only of the songs he wrote for Queen, and I bought and dug his solo works. I remembered this one being a bit synth-heavy and didn’t like it as much as Fun in Space, but it sounded really damn good today - the way music today seems to have a retro -80s love, this album almost sounds timely now. Almost. I don’t wanna build it up too high. It’s a good album. Good.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 20:41

Probably stepped on one of his many...many headphones and tumbled. LOL

Kidding of course. Wink
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 20:44
today. 

Dream theater-- Octavarium 
unreal city-- Noctturrni Frammentii 
Dream Theater-- Scenes of a memory: Met part deux 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 21:41
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Probably stepped on one of his many...many headphones and tumbled. LOL

Kidding of course. Wink

LOLLOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 01:00
I still don't know how to multiquote so bear with me you guys.
How cool it is that you heard Ramble Tamble for the first time Dave?!? Nice one. Yeah that middlesection is really something. We're not talking virtuoso musical ballet but dammit that is wholly beside the point. The feel of this thing is unmatched by many an artist who musically most likely can run hoops around Creedence.
Og well I am more of a balls-out, raw potatoes kind of guy over suave custardy technique.

Scum was one of those albums that made my mother afraid of where exactly I was going...
She did come to terms with it and me when she found out how much fun I had while playing it. Hell I could even have sung her a tune off of it: HRRRRRRRRRRIOOURRRRRHHGGGGGGG!!
There

Jim thanks for asking. It is very painful at the moment but only because something in my left lower back 'let go' last night. This morning it feels as of someone used all week stomping on my upper left derriere in a pair of wooden clogs. Sore is an understatement. Every time something like this happens though my mind jumps up and down in excitement because it thinks it's all done and over with. Nowadays, after some 20 previous episodes, I am taking it slooooooowly and not expecting ANYTHING!
I did step on a headphone here the other day but realised what I was doing whilst actually doing it, so I naturally did this beautiful almost ballet like gesture which similarly could've looked like a drunk stork stepping on lava.
Nahh how did it happen? I fell asleep sitting up whilst resting my torso on my left elbow. I woke up to the distinct sound of a tree branch cracking.

Yesterday:
Walrus - s/t
Embryo - Stieg Aus
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary Of A Madman
Miles Davis - Agartha
Klaus Schulze - Audentity
Anna von Hausswolff - Dead Magic
Kayo Dot - Plastic Base On House Of Sky (speaking of the 80s...although here they sound like Bowie and Sylvian joining forces over some ayahuasca and distinctively 80s sounding synths)
Amen Dunes - Freedom (this has become one of my favourite new discoveries and also one of the best albjms I've heard all year. I love his voice and his unique lisp. Goes together beautifully with the Americana thing he's got going.)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 06:25
^ Dave, hope the back is doing better.  Nothing worse than back pain.

Over the past few days:

King Crimson - Meltdown: Live in Mexico DVD (started only to watch a couple songs, wound up watching the whole 2 and a half hours again)
Hepcat - Right on Time (feel good dance in the living room blend of Reggae, Calypso, & Jazz music)
Ten Years After - About Time
Armageddon - s/t  (really like this, Yardbirds meets Captain Beyond)
Genesis - Nursery Cryme

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 06:49
Thanks man, in fact you guys are all awfully sweet. Well it will get better once I get over the 40 minute busride home I still have huge difficulties with my balance. Not looking forward to it but afterwards I'm starting up an evening with music, headphones, buddha and a nice comfy sofa Hepcat genuinely sounds like something that'd fit the evening beautifully...never heard of em before though.

Today up until now has been a bit weird but I guess it's just an exceedingly grey sunday that I tried to paint in a little colour. Denmark will be overwhelmingly grey for the next 3-4 months.

Date Course Pentagon Royal Garden - Force et Structure
Igor Wakhevitch - Docteur Faust
Chrome - Half Machine Lip Moves

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 11:12
Hope your back recovers soon, David. I’ve been pretty lucky so far with mine but I did have one scary episode with my cervical spine that was excruciating. So I had ave an idea of what you must be going through. Hopefully the music helped. Cool that you’re into Amen Dunes now. Nice stuff.

Edited by HolyMoly - November 11 2018 at 11:13
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 12:22
Cervical spine eh? Ouch that sounds horrendously painful. But yeah hurting my back like this has really taught about something I'd call shadow ninja pain in that it fluctuates between bits of my body in such strange manners it really boggles the mind. I definitely have some pinched nerves adding to this, so it pretty much goes from feeling ow'y in my left toe and heel to 'why is my elbow twitching like a flamenco dancer?'. Also inadvertently funny some times and I just have to laugh at it. Walking around like John Cleese has also garnered quite a few laughs at work.

Mr Dunes didn't catch on right away...until it dawned on me that I was listening to his music on waaaaaaaay too low of a volume. I cranked it up and there it was! Zing.
Funny though because that usually only happens when I buy old or used cd's.
Also works the other way y'know when you put on an album, just like any old time, but here you experience the sensation of standing behind a speeding jet engine screaming in your face. Complete destruction. The 1997 remaster of Raw Power will certainly do that to a person who just finished this Amen Dunes album fx.

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 17:27

Cervical spine eh? Ouch that sounds horrendously painful. But yeah hurting my back like this has really taught about something I'd call shadow ninja pain in that it fluctuates between bits of my body in such strange manners it really boggles the mind. I definitely have some pinched nerves adding to this, so it pretty much goes from feeling ow'y in my left toe and heel to 'why is my elbow twitching like a flamenco dancer?'. Also inadvertently funny some times and I just have to laugh at it. Walking around like John Cleese has also garnered quite a few laughs at work.

Mr Dunes didn't catch on right away...until it dawned on me that I was listening to his music on waaaaaaaay too low of a volume. I cranked it up and there it was! Zing.
Funny though because that usually only happens when I buy old or used cd's.
Also works the other way y'know when you put on an album, just like any old time, but here you experience the sensation of standing behind a speeding jet engine screaming in your face. Complete destruction. The 1997 remaster of Raw Power will certainly do that to a person who just finished this Amen Dunes album fx.

And it is those older recordings that I love most .Wink

Really they have the best fidelity to me .far less compression. 
I was listening to midnight oil's deisil and dust (1988) today and then put on the prodigy's'' the fat of the land" and that volume knob I just about had to do a 180 with. LOL 
I appreciate the differences just like our opinions on solid state amplifiers .Wink

Feel better Mr. Clease and pick up those headphones ya hooligan. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 271272273274275 522>