Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 272273274275276 520>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 19:23
Illusion - Out of the Mist
Derek and the Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scruffydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 22:39
Budgie-Squawk. Been a long time since I played that one.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 07:15
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Cervical spine eh? Ouch that sounds horrendously painful. But yeah hurting my back like this has really taught about something I'd call shadow ninja pain in that it fluctuates between bits of my body in such strange manners it really boggles the mind. I definitely have some pinched nerves adding to this, so it pretty much goes from feeling ow'y in my left toe and heel to 'why is my elbow twitching like a flamenco dancer?'. Also inadvertently funny some times and I just have to laugh at it. Walking around like John Cleese has also garnered quite a few laughs at work.

Mr Dunes didn't catch on right away...until it dawned on me that I was listening to his music on waaaaaaaay too low of a volume. I cranked it up and there it was! Zing.
Funny though because that usually only happens when I buy old or used cd's.
Also works the other way y'know when you put on an album, just like any old time, but here you experience the sensation of standing behind a speeding jet engine screaming in your face. Complete destruction. The 1997 remaster of Raw Power will certainly do that to a person who just finished this Amen Dunes album fx.

And it is those older recordings that I love most .Wink

Really they have the best fidelity to me .far less compression. 
I was listening to midnight oil's deisil and dust (1988) today and then put on the prodigy's'' the fat of the land" and that volume knob I just about had to do a 180 with. LOL 
I appreciate the differences just like our opinions on solid state amplifiers .Wink

Feel better Mr. Clease and pick up those headphones ya hooligan. LOL

Thanks Nick

The first two Prodigy albums are by far my faves...but not because of the fidelity rather the sounds and feel of them. I think of those albums as electronic dance punk - especially Music For The Jilted oozes this anarchistic stiff middlefinger to 'the man'.

I stayed home frome work today. My back sounds like a soda, seriously. Very sparkling and noisy.
Lots of time for music though:
Art Zoyd - Symphonie pour le jour où brûleront les cités
Gösta Berlings Saga - Ex Et
Fläsket Brinner - Fläsket
Funkadelic - Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 20:32
LZ - III
Harrison - All Things Must Pass

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 17:13
John Maus | A Collection of Rarities and Previously Unreleased Material
Sonic Youth | Silver Session (for Jason Knuth)
Thee Oh Sees | Drop
The Voidz | Virtue
Swans | To Be Kind
Palm | Rock Island
Red House Painters | Down Colorful Hill
White Stripes | De Stijl
Neil Young & Crazy Horse | Weld
Traffic | Mr Fantasy
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 22:59
was only able to sneak in 1 album today...tomorrow I will do better! 

Megadeth-- Rust In Peace ( 1986 original recording played real loud!! ) 
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2018 at 23:04

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Cervical spine eh? Ouch that sounds horrendously painful. But yeah hurting my back like this has really taught about something I'd call shadow ninja pain in that it fluctuates between bits of my body in such strange manners it really boggles the mind. I definitely have some pinched nerves adding to this, so it pretty much goes from feeling ow'y in my left toe and heel to 'why is my elbow twitching like a flamenco dancer?'. Also inadvertently funny some times and I just have to laugh at it. Walking around like John Cleese has also garnered quite a few laughs at work.

Mr Dunes didn't catch on right away...until it dawned on me that I was listening to his music on waaaaaaaay too low of a volume. I cranked it up and there it was! Zing.
Funny though because that usually only happens when I buy old or used cd's.
Also works the other way y'know when you put on an album, just like any old time, but here you experience the sensation of standing behind a speeding jet engine screaming in your face. Complete destruction. The 1997 remaster of Raw Power will certainly do that to a person who just finished this Amen Dunes album fx.

And it is those older recordings that I love most .Wink

Really they have the best fidelity to me .far less compression. 
I was listening to midnight oil's deisil and dust (1988) today and then put on the prodigy's'' the fat of the land" and that volume knob I just about had to do a 180 with. LOL 
I appreciate the differences just like our opinions on solid state amplifiers .Wink

Feel better Mr. Clease and pick up those headphones ya hooligan. LOL

Thanks Nick

The first two Prodigy albums are by far my faves...but not because of the fidelity rather the sounds and feel of them. I think of those albums as electronic dance punk - especially Music For The Jilted oozes this anarchistic stiff middlefinger to 'the man'.

I stayed home frome work today. My back sounds like a soda, seriously. Very sparkling and noisy.
Lots of time for music though:
Art Zoyd - Symphonie pour le jour où brûleront les cités
Gösta Berlings Saga - Ex Et
Fläsket Brinner - Fläsket
Funkadelic - Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow

The prodigy will always have their place with me. Love music for a jilted generation .
Absolutely badass. Wink

Rest up nice in that fancy barka lounger .LOL
Give those 400i's a nice workout. Tongue
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 03:14
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

It's funny, Sam. Most of my life, I've had my troubles getting into Jeff Beck. This spin was different, the most I've ever enjoyed one from him. I really do believe that one's taste change, sometimes evolving, sometimes even regressing, but they are far from static.  And thus, review are really just a person's snapshot in time rather than a permanent record of one's opinion carved in stone.
For me it's more likely I'll stop enjoying one album. Sometimes even if you still have the same opinion you can expose it in a different way. By the way, do you still hate "In Through The Out Door" with passion? Tongue I always find it a good listen, maybe because I'm a big fan of JPJ and he has the spotlight on that one.

Since Saturday:
Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement II
Porcupine Tree - On the Sunday of Life (First time I actually heard it on a Sunday. Great trip as always Cool)
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans (I still have the impression that nothing happens on the second side.)
Telegraph - Mir
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
La Coscienza di Zeno - Il Giro del Cappio (While waiting impatiently for the new album Embarrassed)
Emily Remler ‎– Firefly
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 10:51
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

It's funny, Sam. Most of my life, I've had my troubles getting into Jeff Beck. This spin was different, the most I've ever enjoyed one from him. I really do believe that one's taste change, sometimes evolving, sometimes even regressing, but they are far from static.  And thus, review are really just a person's snapshot in time rather than a permanent record of one's opinion carved in stone.
For me it's more likely I'll stop enjoying one album. Sometimes even if you still have the same opinion you can expose it in a different way. By the way, do you still hate "In Through The Out Door" with passion? Tongue I always find it a good listen, maybe because I'm a big fan of JPJ and he has the spotlight on that one.

Hi Sam. I just spun "Out Door" again to see if my feelings have changed over time and, in this case, they have not.  I still find the album to be a hugely deflating experience just as watching the 79 Knebworth footage is for me. 

In my little universe, LZ concluded their career with the glorious "Presence." 

Not that I didn't go see The Firm when I was a teenagerLOL.  It mostly sucked, but I was about 3rd row center with a pretty girl on my arm, so I wasn't complaining that night. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 17:01
Savoy Brown - Witchy Feelin' (pretty cool!)
LZ - In through the out door
The Firm - same
The Firm - Mean Business

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 19:28
Jim’s rockin’ the Firm today. I have nice memories of the Firm too, None of them involve women though, unfortunately.
I got the 45 of Radioactive because I loved the b-side ballad “Together”. I taped the whole album off my friend’s copy. Nowadays, I have both of the complete albums on LP. Still nice for occasional listening.

As for the LZ album ITtOD, I fall on the “pro” side. Though I do laugh upon remembering someone on another forum referring to it as “Outhouse”.

Today:

Magma | s/t
Negativland | Points
Karlheinz Stockhausen | Hymnen
Ty Segall | Freedom’s Goblin
White Stripes | White Blood Cells

Edited by HolyMoly - November 14 2018 at 19:33

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 19:38
Well, while I  was stuck at the Firm show, you were probably watching D Boon and Mike Watt tear it up, so you got the better end of the music deal!  Therefore....I get the date LOL.  The other thing I remember about the show is getting knocked on  my arse by a big guy in front who was a bit out of control.  My date had to rescue me off the floor.  Jimmy played a very long White Summer seated at the front of the stage, playing that black and white guitar. 

White Blood Cells!  Love several tracks on that one. 

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 21:23
First listen to White Blood Cells. Very very solid album.

Funny you should mention the Minutemen show I went to. I actually had tried to get a date to that show. REM were the headliners (Fables tour) and they were one of my favorite new bands. I really liked this girl at school and asked her to the show but she couldn’t go (school night, yeah). So I went with my dad. He kind of liked REM too so it wasn’t that out of the blue. But the Minutemen opening? That was a head scratcher. But I was intrigued and immediately bought their albums after the show. Soon they were my favorite band.

-Kehlog Albran
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 03:51

Hi Sam. I just spun "Out Door" again to see if my feelings have changed over time and, in this case, they have not.  I still find the album to be a hugely deflating experience just as watching the 79 Knebworth footage is for me. 

In my little universe, LZ concluded their career with the glorious "Presence." 

Not that I didn't go see The Firm when I was a teenagerLOL.  It mostly sucked, but I was about 3rd row center with a pretty girl on my arm, so I wasn't complaining that night. 
Sorry for wasting your time LOL I started respecting the album a bit more after reading the story behind it, I'm sure Plant needed this distraction after the accident. At least it's not bad because they sold out, it's a more honest failure.

I only heard a couple of songs from The Firm and let's say I didn't feel like exploring more Tongue That seems like a nice evening though Smile

Yesterday:
Astrodome - II
Superfjord - All Will Be Golden
UFO Över Lappland - s/t
Emily Remler Quartet ‎– Take Two
Deuter - Aum
Agitation Free - Malesch
Mort Garson - Black Mass
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 07:33
^ No waste, Sam, it was fun!  I appreciate the reminder to try old albums again.

But your comment, are you referring to his son's death?  Or the bad car crash?  Because I think the car wreck was actually during the Presence sessions.  I remember reading about Plant singing from a wheelchair on Presence.  Although I suppose the accident effects could have lasted all the way to Out Door too. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 11:23
did better the past couple of days . 

Siouxie & The Banshees-- The Looking Glass ( as far as cover albums go this one is one of the best I have heard .)
Siouxie & The Banshees-- The Rapture 
Dream Theater-- Falling Into Infinity demos 1996-1997
Jim Matheos--.Tuesday the Sky 
Duran duran-- Rio ( scored an OP of this album . really really good. )
App-- Sterotomy (2008 remaster edition) 
The Passionate Few-- Western Grace. (single. )

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 17:07
^^  Presence is one of my fav Zep albums!  Achilles Last Stand is awesome.  

Last few days, a little slow:

Michael Schenker Group - Unforgiven
ProjeKct Two - Space Grooves
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 17:49
^ let's not overlook Nobody's Fault But Mine & For Your Life.   Not to mention the fact that Plant was recording with a shattered foot.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 18:45
Presence simply slays me beginning to end.  Perhaps nothing earth-shatteringly original or musically daring for the lads, but the endless grooves and the aggression.  Then, at the end, the slow-burn leads of Tea for One to  chill you out.  It's also very cohesive. Some of their earlier great works jump around in style and force, but Presence all sounds like a complete, cohesive work.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 19:13
Savoy Brown - Street Corner Talking
Windflower - Ellis-Palmier
Radio Days soundtrack - Woody Allen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 272273274275276 520>