Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 310311312313314 521>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 16:47
I go to record shows in Atlanta now and then. It’s gotten so I know which vendors I like will be where. One guy sells a ton of prog CDs. Anytime I’m in the mood to expand my Kraan, Eloy, etc collection, he’s got the goods.
Still, having online outlets like Discogs has lessened the excitement of such shows. Sometimes I wish I were more social. I could talk to and meet more people at places like this if I was.

Edited by HolyMoly - March 16 2019 at 16:47
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 17:15
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Early Joni...Clouds is my favorite. 

Joni Mitchell - Song to a Seagull

Haven't heard the other two yet, but I do like this one a lot...super folky.

Been a while:

Overkill - The Wings of War: I've never been a major fan of them, but I keep trying. I think it's the singer...like a cross between a heavy metal vibrato wailer and a barroom brawler. Just doesn't work for me. I respect them though.

Chelsea Wolfe - Pain is Beauty: The one I would recommend to newcomers. Covers lots of ground, from creepy folk to creepy rock to creepy electro pop/rock. And she's kinda creepy!

The Gentle Soul - s/t: A little folksy gem from the late 60's. Great duel male/female vocals over nice instrumentation. I'm really digging the bonus tracks from this expanded version, especially the early singles "Tell Me Love" and "Our National Anthem", which are seriously groovy psych-pop coolness.

The Smoke - It's Smoke Time: a 1967 album that has some psych influences and lots of songs about weed, but this is more of a garage rock deal, and it's cool man!

Blossom Toes - We Are Ever So Clean: More early psych, and this dives right into that British vaudville style with horns and stuff. Starts off good, but overall I didn't get into the whimsical silly vibe all that much. I heard their followup in '69 was heavier...I should check that out.

The Who - The Who By Numbers: I never listened to this whole deal before; the cover and "Squeeze Box" held me back all this time. I was missing out though, as I'm loving this. Great grumpy lyrics and less embellishments. Many years ago "However Much I Booze" could've been my anthem if I knew about it.

Mitski - Be The Cowboy: It took a few listens, but it eventually clicked. Underneath the indie-girl facade, there's lots of clever things going on musically. Jazziness in chords/arrangements. She gets accolades for her lyrics, which seem fairly typical to me, but the music has some real theory behind it. Short buggers too.

Always like reading your comments.   Chelsea Wolfe’s Abyss album is in my collection, only one I’ve heard, and I dig the heaviness of it. I’ve always been attracted to artsy goth girls like her, though they never gave me the time of day in high school

Smoke sounds like a lot of fun. I have an album by a group from the early 70s(?) called Sweet Smoke.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 18:10
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Always like reading your comments.   Chelsea Wolfe’s Abyss album is in my collection, only one I’ve heard, and I dig the heaviness of it. I’ve always been attracted to artsy goth girls like her, though they never gave me the time of day in high school

Smoke sounds like a lot of fun. I have an album by a group from the early 70s(?) called Sweet Smoke.

Thanks! Abyss was the first thing I heard from Chelsea, a "Spotify on the subway" deal, and I wasn't ready for it. I felt so morose when I got home from work, and was a bit pissed at that album for making me feel that way, but I knew something was up in that I couldn't remember the last time an album had that level of an emotional punch on me. I checked out Apocalypsis the next day and that one hooked me in bigtime. After a week I was ready for Abyss again and bought the vinyl for it, along with all of her others.

Goth girls...I had some goth girl friends in high school, there were quite a few up in Montreal; we talked music a lot, but in the end I never got past friend with any of them. I didn't look anything like some teenage Peter Murphy too say the least.LOL

What impressed me a lot about The Smoke was that while the singer had that trippy laid-back Marty Balin voice, he took it a bit to the next level of talent. The man was spot-on in delivery...when he sings about growing some green on his windowsill...he means it with gusto! Will check out Sweet Smoke, the name demands it.

Today in the car with the family:

Porcupine Dream - Stupid Dream: My wife skipped "Don't Hate Me" at about the 2/3 mark. Later on she skipped another tune, so I had to tell her not to skip "Stranger by the Minute". I love the bass on that one. The kids liked "Piano Lessons" a lot. My wife liked "Pure Narcotic".

Norah Jones - The Fall: Mellow stuff, but the go-to album for Norah since I can stay awake throughout, which is a good thing when driving. Made me want to check out her "Chasing Pirates" video when we got home...she's so gorgeous in that one.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 19:01
Friede and I are currently listening to this:

a solo album by Jean-Jacques Kravetz, the keyboarder of Frumpy. I especially like the drumming on this album

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 06:26
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Michael, you're teeing up some 60s stuff too lately.Cool

Yeah, Jim! I'm just on a nightshift block, and I usually dig out a lot of `comfort albums' to ease into the start of each night! The Sixties stuff usually covers that for me

Last night's choices, with a couple of Italian repeats that I'm enjoying immensely at the moment:

The Doors – The Soft Parade
Led Zeppelin - II
Rick Wakeman – Journey to the Centre of the Earth
Jadis - Fanatic
I Raminghi – s/t
Osanna - Palepoli
Latte e Miele - Papillon
Samadhi – s/i
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 06:38
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Norah Jones - The Fall: Mellow stuff, but the go-to album for Norah since I can stay awake throughout, which is a good thing when driving. Made me want to check out her "Chasing Pirates" video when we got home...she's so gorgeous in that one.

Got that one on vinyl, mate, it's a wonderful album. You've got me itching to dig it out again!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 14:54

I go to record shows in Atlanta now and then. It’s gotten so I know which vendors I like will be where. One guy sells a ton of prog CDs. Anytime I’m in the mood to expand my Kraan, Eloy, etc collection, he’s got the goods.
Still, having online outlets like Discogs has lessened the excitement of such shows. Sometimes I wish I were more social. I could talk to and meet more people at places like this if I was.

I've just discovered them over the past couple of years via a guy at work who is now a buddy and we go together all the time.  I am alike also, not a real social guy.  Anyway, today's haul, 15 CDs at an average of $3.73 a piece.  My buddy is all vinyl (must be original pressing and darn near mint) spent about $150 (couple of original Budgie albums in there).

Will listen to these within the next few days.  Some used to have in 8-track or cassette and no longer have, some had heard but never owned, and some never heard before.

Brian May - Back to the Light (never heard until today on the ride home, very good on 1rst listen and only $1 LOL)
The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky
Amon Duul - Hawk Meets Penguin (never heard before)
Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe - s/t  (listened today, forgot how much I liked this)
Marshall Tucker Band - Encore Collection
Heart - Dreamboat Annie (believe it or not, not heard the whole album before, another from the $1 bin)
3 Dog Night - The Best Of
Emerson Lake and Palmer - Pictures From an Exhibition (Never heard before)
David Bowie - Aladdin Sane (never heard completely through)
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds
Ry Cooder - Jazz (never heard before)
Deep Purple - Made in Japan (used to play this to death many moons ago)
Procol Harum - Whiter Shade of Pale (1rst album with Whiter Shade of Pale included)
Hawkwind - Hall of the Mountain Grill
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (as usual, I forgot I already have it and now I have 2 LOL)

Edit: Perhaps this would have been more appropriate for recently acquired or purchased thread, but thought it would fit from the discussion.

Edited by AEProgman - March 17 2019 at 18:11
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 19:41
^ Great haul there! I need to find out when our next record show is.

All over the place today:

Jefferson Airplane | Early Flight
Husker Du | Flip Your Wig
Weather Report | I Sing the Body Electric
Ethel Merman | Merman Sings Merman
Martha and the Muffins | This is the Ice Age
James Ferraro | iAsia

-Kehlog Albran
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 19:42
Indeed!  Great haul, JimCool

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 19:55
Joni Mitchell - Blue
The Brothers Four - Best of
Men Without Hats - Rhythm of Youth

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2019 at 04:49
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

I've just discovered them over the past couple of years via a guy at work who is now a buddy and we go together all the time.  I am alike also, not a real social guy.  Anyway, today's haul, 15 CDs at an average of $3.73 a piece.  My buddy is all vinyl (must be original pressing and darn near mint) spent about $150 (couple of original Budgie albums in there).

Will listen to these within the next few days.  Some used to have in 8-track or cassette and no longer have, some had heard but never owned, and some never heard before.

Brian May - Back to the Light (never heard until today on the ride home, very good on 1rst listen and only $1 LOL)
Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe - s/t  (listened today, forgot how much I liked this)
Heart - Dreamboat Annie (believe it or not, not heard the whole album before, another from the $1 bin)
Procol Harum - Whiter Shade of Pale (1rst album with Whiter Shade of Pale included)
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (as usual, I forgot I already have it and now I have 2 LOL)

Edit: Perhaps this would have been more appropriate for recently acquired or purchased thread, but thought it would fit from the discussion.

"Hawk Meets Penguin" is the first and in my opinion best album of the British Amon Düül that were formed by John Weinzierl and Dave Anderson in the 1980s and had Guy Evans of Van der Graaf Generator as drummer.

Edited by BaldJean - March 18 2019 at 05:07

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2019 at 05:58
Nice finds, Jim! I'm not very enthusiastic with record shows around here, it's mostly overpriced junk: musical garbage, records in very bad condition or terrible Portuguese/Spanish pressings. There are a couple of sellers that sell online and have a much better understanding of record prices and are more demanding with the quality of the records though.

Yeah, I quite like Out of Reach . You can tell that it was kind of rushed - it lacks some of the ambient depth that most Can albums have. A little more time spent mixing would have helped (the absence of Holger hurts here). Still, a very chill listen, though Reebop’s tune (Like Inobe God) is a mess.

Also, Atom Heart is my fav Floyd too. I can understand why the band isn’t enamored with it - the title suite is as much a Ron Geesin work as a Floyd work. Ron Geesin is a total badass by the way - familiar with his other work?
True, they could have picked the best tracks from this one and the next and made something more respectable. I heard it with earphones on Spotify so I can't comment on the mixing Tongue

I think it's becoming a popular opinion around here Smile I read that Ron Geesin did everything while the band was touring North America, so they didn't give any input and just heard the final result. Never heard anything else from Geesin, besides the album with Roger Waters (his only solo album I can stomach). What do you recommend?

This weekend:
Reis da República - Fábulas
Camembert - Schnörgl Attahk
Mansun - Six
Manfred Mann Earth Band - Solar Fire
Bo Hansson - Watership Down (I forgot I had this album, it must be the thinnest LP in my collection. I found him right next to Harald Grosskopf. Wouldn't this be an interesting collaboration?)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2019 at 08:05
Oh man, Sam, Mansun's `Six' -

That Bo Hansson one is seriously underrated as well

Last night's picks for me:

The Doors – Morrison Hotel
Hot Tuna – s/t (live)
Epsilon – Epsilon Off
The Flock – s/t
Styx – Cornerstone (Jim, I bet you love this one!)
Libra – s/t
I Teoremi – s/t
Laser – s/t
Klaus Schulze – Dig It
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2019 at 14:43
^
Indeed, Michael. I like that one much better than Pieces. 

Laser! I still got that one hanging around here somewhere. 

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2019 at 18:52
^^^ and above
Yeah the record shows are just fun to browse through all the music and look for that little treasure that may be hidden, like being a kid again flipping through albums to see what you could find, try a new band based on the album cover alone.  Most of the CDs I got I would never have ordered, but when you find them cheap and in good shape, you spend like drunken sailors Smile.

Michael breaking out some Hot Tuna Thumbs Up
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2019 at 19:00
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

"Hawk Meets Penguin" is the first and in my opinion best album of the British Amon Düül that were formed by John Weinzierl and Dave Anderson in the 1980s and had Guy Evans of Van der Graaf Generator as drummer.

I am anxious to give this one a spin.  Curious about the company who released it as it has a different cover than on PA.  Abstract Sounds is the label and evidently were bought out by Universal Music Group.  Cover image below.
Image result for Hawk Meets Penguin

Edited by AEProgman - March 18 2019 at 19:03
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2019 at 20:25
Pink Floyd | Ummagumma
Pink Floyd | Atom Heart Mother
Pink Floyd | More
Klaus Schulze | La Vie Electronique v13
Bodyguard (James Ferraro) | Silica Gel
James Ferraro | Edward Flex Presents: Maui Blackout/Liquid Bikini Summer
Flo and Eddie | Flo and Eddie
Fleetwood Mac | Then Play On

-Kehlog Albran
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2019 at 05:45
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Oh man, Sam, Mansun's `Six' -

That Bo Hansson one is seriously underrated as well

Klaus Schulze – Dig It
Always a great listen Wink

I agree with its rating, it's really good but doesn't excite me too much. I still prefer it over Snow Goose though.

Do you dig it? Tongue I heard it once and didn't do much for me. It sounds more like initial MIDI sequencer demos than an actual album. The next two albums are much more interesting.

Yesterday:
Ed Wynne - Shimmer Into Nature
Jean-Michel Desbouis - Prince
Breidablik - Nhoohr
Kungens Män - Chef
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2019 at 05:53

I am anxious to give this one a spin.  Curious about the company who released it as it has a different cover than on PA.  Abstract Sounds is the label and evidently were bought out by Universal Music Group.  Cover image below.
Image result for Hawk Meets Penguin

Well, this one's from the 2008 CD, we have included the original cover art from the UK 1982 LP
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2019 at 07:38
^ Thanks, I figured it was something like that.  Now I am curious if it is the same as the original music since it has Amon Duul II instead of Amon Duul .  I will have to compare listens if I can find the original on Youtube somewhere or the like.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 310311312313314 521>