Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 320321322323324 520>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 14:54
Happy Easter all (but sorry to read about your upsetting circumstances at this time, Steve).

My stockpiled selections from the last three nights of nightshift:

Marillion – Script for a Jester’s Tear
Arena – Pepper’s Ghost
Ayreon – The Source
Rush – s/t
Black Sabbath – Seventh Star
Iron Maiden – Somewhere in Time
Gentle Giant – Octopus
Ozric Tentacles - Erpsongs
Tangerine Dream - Rubycon
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet

Prince – The Rainbow Children
Steven Wilson – To the Bone
IQ – Are You Sitting Comfortably?
Arena – The Visitor
Black Sabbath - Born Again
Gentle Giant – Three Friends
Ange – Caricatures
Tangerine Dream – The Sessions IV
Cosmic Ground - 1

Hawkwind – s/t
Caravan – Blind Dog at St Dunstans
Greenslade – s/t
Magma – Udu Wudu
Black Sabbath – Mob Rules
Iron Maiden – The Number of the Beast
Tangerine Dream – La Parc
Gong – Live au Bataclan ‘73
E.L.P – Live Pocono USA 1972
Soft Works – Abracadabra
Lorenzo Montana & Mick Chillage – Deviazoni Cosmiche
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 15:30
^ Happy Birthday, Michael 🍰🎈
Happy Easter, P.A. Community !!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 17:57
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Simple Minds | New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84)

I gotta ask. How do you like it?

Honestly I think it is so brilliant. Every track is strong and creative.
I have an original recording and I also splurged big time of the 6 disc box set. I couldn’t be happier. One of the best box sets I own.   
Simple Minds are always a good listen. A fine mix of pop and art rock. Some songs are more memorable than others, but overall a very classy album, with a great band sound.

And thank you (and everybody) for the condolences. It really is comforting <3
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 20:14
180 Gs | 180 Gs to the Future! — a capella arrangements of Negativland. What an incredible idea, especially considering they rarely recorded songs per se, more collages of mass media soundbites.

Kevin Harrison | Inscrutably Obvious — cool obscure diy instrumental experimental music from the UK circa 1981

Chicago | III — maybe their most somber, serious album. The songs are filled with loneliness, weariness of constant touring, and a bit of doubt about their future - and of the future of the country in general. Double album with lots of adventurous music and no real big hits.

Alice Cooper | Zipper Catches Skin — pretty obscure Coop album, early 80s, when he was kind of losing his grip on his life but still putting out solid albums that just didn’t sell well. A few years away still from his rebirth as a hair metal star.

Can | Tago Mago — still one of the most impressive albums ever

Al Kooper | Rekooperation — swell instrumental jazz/blues from a swell dude

ABBA | Gold — Europop sensation, nothing like Slayer

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2019 at 14:34
Hole - Celebrity Skin
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
Genesis - Trick of the Tail

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2019 at 14:46
Felix Martin - Caracas
Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On
Neil Young - Chrome Dreams II
R.E.M. - Chronic Town

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2019 at 14:49
Hey Jim, did I see you mention that Rilo Kiley band a few pages back? I was spinning their `Under the Blacklight' album a day or two ago!

My selections tonight:

Tonton Macoute – s/t
Good God – s/t
Black Sabbath – The Eternal Idol
Iron Maiden – Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
Tangerine Dream – Manheim 1976 (Official Bootleg: Volume 1)
Tangerine Dream - Encore
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2019 at 15:23
Then Play On....very cool

Michael...I did, but that's the only Riley I ever owned...will have to check out your title.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2019 at 18:59
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Michael...I did, but that's the only Riley I ever owned...will have to check out your title.

Then Play On is very cool.  Fleetwood Mac's early music was kind of hit and miss, but that album is great.  I have the US version on vinyl and the 2013 Rhino Reissue with the original UK tracklist and bonus tracks digitally.  There were several different versions of that album.

And I will second the Rilo Kiley recommendation of Under the Blacklight.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2019 at 19:30
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Then Play On is very cool.  Fleetwood Mac's early music was kind of hit and miss, but that album is great.  I have the US version on vinyl and the 2013 Rhino Reissue with the original UK tracklist and bonus tracks digitally.  There were several different versions of that album.

And I will second the Rilo Kiley recommendation of Under the Blacklight.

I have a 2012 Rhino collection of the first five albums. I really enjoy them all, very interesting, varied music. I never played them much prior to these CDs, so that period of the Mac is kind of "new" and intriguing for me. 

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2019 at 20:51
Then Play On is a unique item not only in Fleetwood Mac’s output, but in the whole late 60s British blues thing. As unique in its own way as Mayall’s “Turning Point” album from around the same time. Those were such creative times.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 20:09
Can | Saw Delight — a lesser entry in their catalog, but not bad at all

UK Subs | Brand New Age — punk band I’m not all that into but I have 3 albums so I’m making an effort

Pleonasm | s/t — new album by raw WV punk outfit

David Bowie | Young Americans — my 2nd favorite Bowie album (after Low)

Fever Ray | s/t — solo project from a member of Swedish electronica artist The Knife.

The Feelies | Time for a Witness — 4th album from this rockin’ Velvets-like outfit from the 80s.

Deep Purple | Fireball — bought a 2nd time so I could have a version with “Demon’s Eye” on it. What a groove monster that song is.

-Kehlog Albran
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 06:40
Recently:

Glass Hammer - Culture of Ascent
Yes - s/t 1rst album.  First time listening to this.  Pretty good debut showing glimpses of the direction that they would go, different sound for the times.  Edit: Forgot to mention that I really enjoyed what they did with the cover songs on that LP.  Got the remastered CD with extra bonus songs including their Stephen Stills "Everydays" cover single, B-side.
Ry Cooder - Crossroads
Genesis - Nursery Cryme
ABWH - s/t
Vangelis - The City.  Forgot how much I love this album, like an old friend as I used to listen to this in the early 90s cruising around western Pa and NY for work travels.
The Cars - Panorama.  Jim, you are right!  A knockout guitar solo on Touch and Go, never did notice it before.  The whole album has a different vibe than their first two.  Thumbs Up

Edited by AEProgman - April 24 2019 at 11:08
tailings View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tailings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 08:34
Sunday while working in the studio:

Pan Sonic _Atomin Paluu_
Pan Sonic _Osasto_
Controlled Bleeding _Inanition_
Yes _Going For The One_
Black Lung _The Grand Chessboard_
Coil _Philm #1_
Coil _The Angelic Conversation_
Cluster _II_
Cluster _Zuckerzeit_
Choukoku No Niwa/Boris _More Echoes, Touching Air Landscape_
Autechre _NTS Sessions_

Edited by tailings - April 24 2019 at 08:35
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 20:00
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Recently:

Glass Hammer - Culture of Ascent
Yes - s/t 1rst album.  First time listening to this.  Pretty good debut showing glimpses of the direction that they would go, different sound for the times.  Edit: Forgot to mention that I really enjoyed what they did with the cover songs on that LP.  Got the remastered CD with extra bonus songs including their Stephen Stills "Everydays" cover single, B-side.
Ry Cooder - Crossroads
Genesis - Nursery Cryme
ABWH - s/t
Vangelis - The City.  Forgot how much I love this album, like an old friend as I used to listen to this in the early 90s cruising around western Pa and NY for work travels.
The Cars - Panorama.  Jim, you are right!  A knockout guitar solo on Touch and Go, never did notice it before.  The whole album has a different vibe than their first two.  Thumbs Up

Yeah! It's the Cars "After Hours" albumCool.  The next one is their "coming back to earth" album, but it's still great. 

I always loved the first Yes album too. Something a bit special about it, or perhaps it just is burned into a very special time of my life. Always makes me smile. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 20:00
Sunflower Bean - Human Ceremony
Sunflower Bean - TwentyTwo in Blue

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 20:29
Big Audio Dynamite | No. 1, Upping St
Elvis Costello & the Attractions | Punch the Clock
Kraftwerk | The Man Machine
Kenny Loggins | The Essential Kenny Loggins (2 CD comp)
Hair Police | Stay in Bodies
James Ferraro | On Air

-Kehlog Albran
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2019 at 22:55
Orbital - I & II. Discovered in my collection where they must have been sitting unplayed for over 10 years. They can’t have impressed me at the time as they sound totally unfamiliar, like new albums, but I’m finding them most enjoyable now . Most likely I bought them just as I was getting heavily into Krautrock but that eventually led into much Tangerine Dream and I know that has expanded my taste as I had to listen to their 80s albums quite a lot before they really grew on me.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2019 at 19:49
Late for the condolences, but sorry about your cat Steve. My cat is turning 21 years old soon. Blind in one eye and arthritic hind legs, but still healthy and alert otherwise. Never thought he'd live this long...and I'm scared that the day will finally come soon...

Went on one of my binges. The backstory...growing up my knowledge of Alice Cooper was limited to the odd live album The Alice Cooper Show my friend sold me for a couple of bucks, and the 1974 greatest hits my best bud had. All of these albums are first listens believe it or not!

Pretties for You: You know I'm a fan of psychedelic rock, so yeah, don't care about the general consensus, I DIG THIS! "Living" and "Fields of Regret" are so dope, and all these tripped out fuzzbox solos and weird Zappa-isms tossed in. Vincent may not have developed the "sneer" yet, but he had the acid-rock voice down with those harmonies, man. A righteous freakout with some groovy song titles.

Easy Action: Not as fun overall, but it gets way out there with "Lay Down and Die, Goodbye", which is total experimental madness. "Shoe Salesman" was a really cool song. This is probably one I'll have to check out again because outside of those two exceptions and that refrigerator tune's lyrics, I honestly don't remember much. The guitars were getting a bit louder though.

Love it to Death: Now we have the sneer, the Alice as villain role, and damn is this album awesome. As of now, it's my fav, bringing total sleaziness to their sound and rockin' loud guitars. Glammy, mad and rad, I can't believe I don't own this yet. How many rockers must this thing have inspired? How many scumbag singers did this voice predate? I can't even choose a favorite song, but "Black Juju" is so nuts.

Killer: I knew about half of these tunes. The nasty rock gets more theatrical and loony at times, with stuff like "Dead Babies" giving moms that "worried look" face back in the day. Arguably one of his best to start out with due to it's popularity, but it actually didn't exceed expectations for me. Good stuff for sure, and the title track is a total winner. Love the ending!

School's Out: Yeah, we all know the title track, but screw that, "Blue Turk" is this jazz-rock flamboyant supreme piece of platter damnit! The man sings so slick and cool during that sly thing. So he's not technically adroit, versatility goes a long way for me. "My Stars" is another one that surprised me with its gloriousness. Not everything is great, but a lot of it is, not just the opener (which I'm a bit too familiar with anyway).

Billion Dollar Babies: This is kind of the mother-lode. Great rock tunes mixed in with some creepy numbers that borderline on "evil" territory at times. Lots of embellishments adds to the theatrics that bring the show to life. Nice to hear the original "Sick Things" and I Love the Dead" instead of the abbreviated live versions I grew up with. Gotta give a nod to "Unfinished Sweet"...real tricky instrumental break there, that's musicianship!

Muscle of Love: Remember the album cardboard package? As a kid I always wondered if there was some horrible thing inside...a "muscle of love". I knew squat about innuendo, so my imagination concerning that image was probably weirder than the intentions of the band. Not great, but "Hard Hearted Alice" is outstanding, a new favorite! Always liked the title track too.

Welcome to my Nightmare: Different band, and more showman-like. That's fine, cause "The Black Widow" totally ROCKS! Great guitar riffs abound. Still, those lyrics, isn't a black widow supposed to be female? What's the deal man? That "Years Ago" number is creepy cool too, writhing with atmosphere that goes beyond campy into genuinely unnerving in a way. Nice work.

Alice Cooper Goes to Hell: Hell must be a disco, because oh yeah, he goes there. I can't say "You Gotta Dance" is bad though, guess I'm feelin' that glitter-ball groove as I get older. I'm kind of freakin' out thinking about gray hairs doing John Travolta moves at 45 year high school reunions. Damn. I don't mind the ballad stuff like "I Never Cry" either, music to croon at the piano in the after-hours golf club party.

Feeling old now...need to stop. Maybe in a few weeks I'll check out his 80's hair stuff.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2019 at 19:57
Elvis - Ultimate Gospel
Ray Conniff and his Orchestra and Chorus

Nice rundown, Dave, now you make me wanna try some Alice.  I've never played him much either. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 320321322323324 520>