Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 324325326327328 520>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 15:14
re: Alice Cooper Flush the Fashion — I always have fun with that one. Major cool points for covering Talk Talk by The Music Machine, one of my favorite 60s garage rock classics (they do a great job with it too). And the synth pop “Clones” song is a total gas.

Re: recovery at our age. I can totally relate. There’s an imaginary line, and if I go past it, I can pretty much kiss tomorrow goodbye. The trick is learning where that line is (and where it moves as you get older). I usually stay in bounds but sometimes... ugh.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 22:14
Enjoying the long weekend and letting my headphones do all the work for me by getting great freakin sound into my ears.

Pet Shop Boys— Inner sanctum (Really good and some incredible medley musings that border on the proggy side of things. I tell ya. This duo hasn’t lost a beat.

Tool— Anima ( yeah. I’m a bit on board for the hype of the new album coming out, so this was a fantastic revisit for me. I think it has been ten years since I spun this one. Boy am I weird.

Fields of the Nephilim— For Her Light (single EP.)

Ghost— Prequelle ( it’s well done. The spirit of the 80’s is captured beautifully here. )

Metallica— Master Of Puppets ( 2017 remaster.)

Pet Shop Boys— Please ( original 1986 recording. Amazing sound. One of the best I’ve ever heard. )

Pet Shop Boys— Actually ( 2009 SHM remaster. )

Front Line Assembly— Warmech. ( pretty awesome. Bill Leeb is up to his cutting edge tricks again. What a lord of electronics. )

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 21:24
Back at it. :)

Royal Hunt— Cargo ( A Life to Die For. What a great song. )
Royal Hunt— paradox ( I remember a few years back when I wrote a spirited review on this album. I can see and hear why I did that. ;)
Tool— 10,000 Days. ( This album is a monster. Hearing it for the first time with better equipment, I think Tool have really shot themselves in the foot waiting 13 years and counting to release another album. Not only that there is so much pressure to put out a great album, and it is unlikely they will top this one. )
Metallica— Master Of Puppets ( original sound recording. )
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 02:42
Since Friday:
Yokai - Yokai
Return to Forever - Romantic Warriors
Casiopea - Mint Jams
Acid Mess - II
Germinale - ... e Il Suo Respiro...
Bent Knee - Shiny-Eyed Babies
Pierrot Lunaire - Gundrum
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 20:56
Gong | Expresso II
Manfred Mann | The EP Collection
XTC | Black Sea
The Breeders | Last Splash
Deerhoof | The Magic
Flo & Eddie | The Phlorescent Leech & Eddie
Bill Nelson | The Love That Whirls (Diary of a Thinking Heart)
Sonic Youth | Bootleg, 1992, San Francisco show
Spirit | Son of Spirit
Cornershop | Woman’s Gotta Have It!
Jandek | Gainesville Friday
Guided by Voices | Suitcase: Failed Experiments and Trashed Aircraft (disc 4)

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 03:15
I've been on a Jazz Fusion mood lately, I think this kind of music sounds better during Spring.
Brand X - Morrocan Roll
Todd Terje - It's Album Time
Handwrist - Pilgrimage
Elder - Reflections of a Floating World
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
Amber Foil - An Invitation
Genesis - Duke
PFM - Chocolate Kings
Jean-Luc Ponty - Mystical Adventures
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 05:04
Hope everyone is well

Last two days:

King Crimson – Red
Alan Parsons Band – The Secret
Lunatic Soul – Walking on a Flashlight Beam
Roine Stolt’s The Flower King – Manifesto of an Alchemist
Richard Pinhas – Live at Bam Balam 2016-2018
Argos – Unidentified Dying Objects
The Winstons – s/t
Albergo Imtergalattico Spaziale – s/t
Proff Wolf - s/t
Ange – Au-Dela du Delire
Anglagard – Hybris
M.Efekt – Svitanie
Novalis - Brandung
Steve Roach/Sam Rosenthal/Nick Shadow – The Gesture of History
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 17:32
Smashing Pumpkins | Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness — the White Album of the 90s I guess. Really impressive

Andy Summers & Robert Fripp | I Advance Masked — In ‘82 it was the first time ‘d heard of Robert Fripp, it led me to Crimso. Still a great listen.

Sonic Youth | The Eternal — their last. Better than the last few.

Attila | s/t — Billy Joel’s first band. Not bad at all. Poor man’s Deep Purple.

Smashing Pumpkins | Zero EP — great single from the above album, with 6 other non-album tracks, most of which would have fit well on the album.

Harry Pussy | You’ll Never Play This Town Again — holy moses. this album changed my life in a way. total animal energy with beefheart-like guitar, in 30-50 second spurts of rage. (They are my avatar pic btw)

The Shaggs | Philosophy of the World — definitely unique, but no way it’s “great”. I like it though, if only because it forces me to think outside the box

The Feelies | Only Life — just a great late 80s guutar band, like REM without the baggage

Black Mountain | In the Future — always a good time guaranteed with this group

Spacemen 3 | The Perfect Prescription — Drones and repetition, minimalistic trance guitar chugging... why is is this so good? I don’t know but it is.

Spacemen 3 | Translucent Flashbacks (The Glass Singles) — even trippier. Compiles their 3 maxi singles from prior to the album above . 17 minutes of “Rollercoaster” by the 13th Floor Elevators, and a ln insane variation on The Red Crayola’s “Transparent Radiation”, among others.

Edited by HolyMoly - May 22 2019 at 17:39

-Kehlog Albran
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 20:17
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Smashing Pumpkins | Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness — the White Album of the 90s I guess. Really impressive

Andy Summers & Robert Fripp | I Advance Masked — In ‘82 it was the first time ‘d heard of Robert Fripp, it led me to Crimso. Still a great listen.

Good description for the Pumps masterpiece. 

I have a poster for "i advanced masked" in my basement lounge. Big smile

Robert Goulet - Always You
George Strait - mix
Skip Martin - Perspectives in Percussion (space-age jazz)
Heart - Passionworks

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 21:10
Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways
Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Caravan - For the Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night
Earthless - Black Heaven
Colour Haze - Los Sounds de Krauts
Causa Sui - Summer Sessions, Vol. 1
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 21:12
Andy Williams - The Days of Wine and Roses
Alice Cooper - Welcome to my Nightmare

Ahhh, sweet contrast.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 10:46
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways
Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Caravan - For the Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night
Earthless - Black Heaven
Colour Haze - Los Sounds de Krauts
Causa Sui - Summer Sessions, Vol. 1
Nice list Cool

Solar Corona - Lightning One
Orsak:Oslo - Tipping Point
Lena d'Água - Desalmadamente
Tangerine Dream - Tangram (My go-to TD album these days.)
Asgard - Tradition & Renouveau
Magma - MDK
Black Mountain - Destroyer (First listen. Very gritty most of the time, I liked the spaced-out vibe of the previous album better. Some parts remind me of The Cars.)
ABC - The Lexicon of Love
The Who - Who's Next?
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 15:09
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Andy Williams - The Days of Wine and Roses
Alice Cooper - Welcome to my Nightmare

Ahhh, sweet contrast.

Nice...sweet contrasts rule. Keeps me from genre-burnout.

I was sick a few days ago and had to take a day off work. During my ill bitterness:

Malevolent Creation - The Ten Commandments: My 10 year old son commented "He sounds like a very bad man. Why is he so angry?" My 7 year old son was more into jumping around to the crazy death/thrash rhythms to consider that the singer might be a grumpy person.

Malevolent Creation - Retribution: Same harsh (but not guttural) vocals, but leaning more towards death metal concerning the velocity of the music. My kids liked the album cover. My 7 year old wants to make a Lego version of that flying monster...but I don't know if we have enough blue pieces.

Malevolent Creation - Dead Man's Path: The last album with their original singer before he died of cancer. I played and commented on this one not too long ago. I have this in red vinyl, Retribution in blue vinyl and 10 Commandments on yellow. All I need from them...the primary colors are complete.

After I felt better:

Mika Nakashima - Star: A bit frustrating, in that all the good songs are in the middle, bookended by boring ballads that lack the jazz flavor she put into her best albums. I skip the first three tunes and stop  before the last two or so.

Mika Nakashima - Tough: True to the title, it's a tough listen, my least favorite with only a few keepers like the weird lilting "Indigo" that's like "lullaby-prog" or something. It's her most recent full-length of original material, but a couple of her singles after this gives me hope since they are quite cool. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 20:52
^
Indeed.
Two artists there I'm not at all familiar with. 

Today
Morrissey - Bona Drag
Firefall - Elan
Ray McKinley/Bobby Hackett

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 22:17
Lot’s of albums the past 2 days. Here’s some of the highlights:

Golden Earring | Eight Miles High — their first fully “underground” record after years of relatively succinct pop music

Faust | So Far — maybe their most sane album, notwithstanding some psychotic lyrics about taking a banana because tomorrow’s Sunday.

Neil Diamond | Touching You, Touching Me — classic early 70s Neil. I think the Sweet Caroline single was added later, thus the lyric-dropping album title. Don’t hold it against that song by the way. If anything, marvel at how “Holly Holy” sounds completely different -- almost pastoral — compared to the face-melting take on the Hot August Night album.
> Face melting
> Neil Diamond
> Yes, I just said that.

The Fall | The Unutterable — one of their finest of their last 10+ years. Possibly top 10 in their discography (consisting of 30 or so distinct studio albums, not to mention dozens of live albums and whatnot)

Sonic Youth | Bad Moon Rising — my original intro to them. From the days I was gobbling up punk LPs almost at random. This was not what I expected (not punk? then what is it?) and it took a while to sink in. But it has a conceptual cohesion rare among their albums (Daydream Nation and possibly Sister come to mind; but this came first).

Nine Inch Nails | Ghosts I - IV — 2 discs of short instrumentals. Lots of really cool ideas in here.

Neil Hamburger | Great Moments at DiPresa’s Pizza House — Just a ridiculous yet genius idea for a comedy album. A straight-faced documentary tribute to a possibly fictional pizzeria. Incredibly funny and random things get thrown almost without warning. Some jokes you don’t get until the 5th listen

Spirit | Farther Along — Wow, I never noticed how cool this album was before. Wasn’t expecting that. Keeping it out for another spin in the next day or so.

The Dead C | Vain, Erudite and Stupid (Disc 1) — Disc 1 of this generous summary of the band’s first 20 years or so. This disc covers the really bitchen first 4 years (when they still at least attempted to work within song structures as opposed to the free form music thereafter (and still going). It’s a great Exhibit A (or at least C) for why this is one of my favorite bands today.

-Kehlog Albran
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 22:46
Some more Tangerine Dream from 20 years ago.

"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 00:33
Hello alll!

A late Friday night

Rammstein— S/T (Ze Matchstick! Lol. Seriously great album though. A lot of cool riffs. Glad these guys are back. )

Pet Shop Boys— Behaviour -Further Listening 1990-1991 (disc 1 & 2)

Gazpacho—Demon ( wonderfully done. Wisps of Hogarth era marillion with a fantastic melancholy finish. Great album to zone out to. )
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 23:13
Continuing on.

Depeche Mode— Devotional (live 1993)

Iron Maiden—A Matter Of life and death.

Leonard Cohen— Songs from the Road (2008-2009)

Rammstein— S/T ( worth another go. )

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2019 at 00:41
On a roll lately. Lots of albums. Had a couple of friends over, a couple of expert guitarists so of course the night was mostly about music. Kept it pretty vinyl-centric, cuz that’s fun.

Billy Joel | Turnstiles — Pretty solid album that has a lot of standards on it, though it was a commercial failure when it was released.

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers | Southern Accents — Strange mish mash of synth pop and roots rock. Not his greatest album, but I’ll be darned if I didn’t get midway through side 2 before I found a song I didn’t really like much.

Mothers of Invention | Absolutely Free — bought a recently pressed vinyl copy today. One of my favorite FZ albums.

ELP | Works Vol 2 — if an ELP album can be called “cute”, then this would be the one.

Herbie Hancock | Future Shock — my friend brought this, along with a Weather Report album and a David Grisman album. First time hearing it. I think I’ll grab a copy of my own soon. This is the one with “Rockit” on it.

Al Kooper | Easy Does It — Al is the man

Boz Scaggs | s/t — “Loan Me a Dime” is a classic Duane Allman showcase

Van Halen | Diver Down — yeah!

Supertramp | Crime of the Century — double yeah!

Ryan Johnson | Demo, 2001 —one of my friends who came over tonight had totally forgotten that back in ‘01 I brought my 4-track and a couple of mics to his house, for the purpose of recording his songs. He had already programmed the rhythm section and keyboard parts, so he played that while he played guitar over it, live. It was a pretty involved set of 8 tunes that he had mostly forgotten about. Stylistically it’s closest to jazz fusion. Dixie Dregs, Jeff Beck, that kinda thing. He’s scary good on the guitar.

Randy California | Kapt Kopter and the (Fabulous) Twirly Birds — A promising beginning to a solo career. Artistically promising, but a commercial dud. Led to a nervous breakdown and the eventual resurrection of the Spirit name.

Animal Collective | Merriweather Post Pavilion — I don’t know if I’ll ever understand this band, but I have all their albums. One of the most original bands of the new millennium

The Residents | Eskimo — yow

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 18:19
Gil Scott-Heron/Brian Jackson - Bridges
King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon
Neil Young - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

Damn that KC sounded better than I remembered. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 324325326327328 520>