Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 334335336337338 521>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 16:54
^ Holy sh*t, Dave. What an awesome and epic post. Nice work, friend.

Got some more albums in for Saturday. Honestly I had the best time drinking in these recordings.

Genesis— Seconds Out (Disc2 only. )
Yes— Fragile ( MFSL Master recording. It is disgusting how good this sounds. The Bass is next level sh*t )
Peter Murphy— Cascade
OSI—Fire make Thunder. ( god. I want another one from Moore and Matheos)
Fates Warning— Live over Europe— both discs.
Vanden Plas— Seraphic Clockwork ( these guys know how to write music. I cannot ask for more in prog metal. The
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 18:51
Andy Gibb - Shadow DancingEmbarrassed
The Carpenters - Now and Then
Grand Funk Railroad - We're an American Band

All three of these were a blast. Yep, even Disco boy. And the Carpenters album has a great oldies medley. 

patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 20:00
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Andy Gibb - Shadow DancingEmbarrassed
The Carpenters - Now and Then
Grand Funk Railroad - We're an American Band

All three of these were a blast. Yep, even Disco boy. And the Carpenters album has a great oldies medley. 

Never a GFR fan, but Andy Gibb and the Carpenters were both great. Thanks for the honesty!

Edited by patrickq - July 21 2019 at 00:38
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 20:05
Shaman, Ex Canix
A Hard Day’s Night (US version)
a playlist with a bunch of soundtrack cuts: Prince, Pointer Sisters, etc., including “What Would Brian Boitano Do?”
Moonmadness
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 20:41
^
Thanks. I'm old enough now that I've lost all "musical shame."  I'll happily listen to stuff now that would have gotten me beat up on my junior high school bus.  We listen to music for lots of reasons. To be challenged, to bang our heads, and sometimes for comfort too. Life is short. I really enjoy throwing all expectation off a cliff and playing whatever tickles my fancy. 

Another part of it is that i was a Collab here for 7 or 8 years, having to get bands evaluated, approved, added, and reviewed. So this meant that I had to spend 95% of all of my available music time listening to only one genre and listening to pretty much all new music. Rarely could I indulge in other genres or listen to old favorites. That's the hardest part of "working here" for me.

When I finally let that go, it was such a relief to play whatever I wanted again. Like a kid in a candy store.Smile

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 06:57
Here’s the first 2-3 hours of our drive home yesterday (total of 8). Got another 4+ hours to go today.

This much got us off the island, IIRC.

I Get Around | Beach Boys
You May Be Right | Billy Joel
I Feel Fine | Beatles
Mr Blue Sky | ELO
8 Days a Week | Beatles
A Forest | The Cure
Martha My Dear | Beatles
Bicycle Race | Queen
Life’s What You Make It (live) | Talk Talk
Footloose | Kenny Loggins
Antarctica | Men Without Hats
Need You Tonight | INXS
Dry the Rain | The Beta Band
I Wouldn’t Want to be like You | Alan Parsons Project
Day After Day | Badfinger
Hard Day’s Night | Beatles
Darkroom | Paul McCartney
Live On | Sloan
Fascination Street | The Cure
Underwhelmed | Sloan
Plastic Fantastic Lover | Jefferson Airplane
Pump it Up | Elvis C and the Attractions
The Rest of My Life | Sloan
The Unforgettable Fire | U2
Wild Horses | Rolling Stones
Watching the Detectives | EC/Attractions
Frankly Mr Shankly | The Smiths

Edited by HolyMoly - July 21 2019 at 06:58
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 17:51
When I was living in Toronto during the mid-late 90's, it seemed like Sloan was considered the cool rock band to like, whereas other "big in Canada" bands like The Tragically Hip and Barenaked Ladies had a more "everyman" fanbase. I should check them out sometime.

Heart - Dreamboat Annie: Man I love the version of the title track that ends side one. I wish it was longer, like a typical 3:30 minute tune. "Sing Child" totally rocks, goofy lyrics & all (funky monkey!). And dat first solo during the long instrumental break of "Magic Man" with those smooooth dive-bombs. Oh yeah.

Heart - Little Queen: "Say Hello" is like the cutest thing they ever did, although I wish it didn't fade out during the end...that drummer was starting to get busy! The first side is completely flawless...I always like that little "swingy" tempo that briefly pops up before the chorus of "Kick it Out". Not sure how they came up with doing that, but it's cool.

Heart - Private Audition: First listen! Part of Heart's post-70's / pre-glam lost weekend phase, I had no idea what to expect, but I don't know, this isn't bad at all! "The Situation" has a killer riff and cool atmospheric chorus, and the title track surprisingly does the show-tune style justice. I don't really get why it's considered such a void in their discography, except maybe the ugly bland cover. Seriously, there's so much you could do concerning a cover with an album title like Private Audition, geez.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 18:28
^
Passionworks side 1 has a couple neat tunes, too. I can't remember side 2 at all though.

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2019 at 21:49
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Gong - Angel's Egg
Gong - Camembert Electrique
Dungen - 4
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 06:47
^^^^^^^^  First 8-track tape I bought was Carpenters, Karen had such a fabulous voice.  Actually quite fond of that GFR album, played it to death back then.  I really like the songs "The Railroad" and "Creepin".

Yesterday, went classic rock
Steppenwolf - s/t (best cussing song on there LOL, but sort of appropriate)
The Doors - LA Woman
Guess Who - American Woman

Edited by AEProgman - July 22 2019 at 06:50
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 07:59
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Sam. How did you like Maiden’s Somewhere In time disc?
Still on my top 3 Smile

^
Thanks. I'm old enough now that I've lost all "musical shame."  I'll happily listen to stuff now that would have gotten me beat up on my junior high school bus.  We listen to music for lots of reasons. To be challenged, to bang our heads, and sometimes for comfort too. Life is short. I really enjoy throwing all expectation off a cliff and playing whatever tickles my fancy.  
I never felt "musical shame", but then in my school years there was never musical discrimination or groups, everyone seemed to listen to whatever they wanted.

This weekend:
Demian Cabaud - Aparición
David Gilmour - David Gilmour
Mike Oldfield - Discovery
Black Mountain - Destroyer (Bought it the other day, I'm starting to regret it Ermm)
Camel - Stationary Traveller (My ears needed some rest after the previous album. This time I only snoozed on side B.)
Marillion - Clutching at Straws
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 09:10
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^
I never felt "musical shame", but then in my school years there was never musical discrimination or groups, everyone seemed to listen to whatever they wanted.

You've got me wracking my memory banks now! By high school, I'd say my experience mimics yours. People listened to their fancy and proudly displayed their likes on their tshirts. But I remember junior high, basically 7th-9th, there was a period that resembled the "be cool or be cast out" line from Subdivisions. I remember especially the bus, which granted, is a small sub-group...but the "cool" older (longhaired) kids in the back were basically heavy/hard fans into Van Halen/Zeppelin/Sabbath....and if you would have started playing Abba or Andy Gibb on your boombox, you would have gotten your boombox ejected out the window amidst roars of laughter. Well, that's speculation, but there certainly were some guys capable of such antics.

So, in that moment, there was clearly some 9th grade bullying of the younger set on our bus. On the good side, they just CRANKED rock and metal in the back (and smoked) every morning and afternoon, so we littler kids had our eyes opened to this new music that we never heard before. I clearly remember my first exposure to the above-mentioned bands being on the bus. I couldn't believe the way the guitar sounded on "Ain't Talkin' bout Love." At first I recalled being intimidated by the new stuff I was hearing (and those older kids who played it), being very young and having no experience. But it wasn't long and I was gobbling up all those bands at the record store. The switch from pop music to hard rock happened very quickly, whereas discovering prog was a slower process.

At the time, middle school indeed was a bit dicey for the younger kids, but looking back, the older kids were mostly having fun. A few of them took things too far, on several fronts, but mostly it was a hilarious and fun time to be young. 

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 15:47
I was pretty oblivious in middle and high school. I was a little awkward socially, but I was a class clown and a good athlete so I got by. No dates though. My idea of a hoppin Saturday night was riding to Haagen Daas with my friend, playing our favorite hardcore mix on his really loud car stereo. And any time was a good time to go record shopping. It’s still my favorite activity. So I don’t remember much about what was cool and what wasn’t. I guess I “wasn’t” and didn’t even know it.

Listening to birthday acquisitions these past couple of days.

The Stranglers | The Old Testament: the Studio Recordings 1977-1982
Cluster | Konzerte 1972/1977
Clister | Zuckerzeit

and also this
Red House Painters | Ocean Beach

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 16:07
Were you already into hardcore in 7-8th?  That's def earlier than I discovered saucier music.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 17:59
Ethel Merman - Call Me Madam
Elton John - Captain Fantastic

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 18:54

Were you already into hardcore in 7-8th?  That's def earlier than I discovered saucier music.
oh no, not that early ... hardcore came into the picture around 10th. In 7th/8th I was discovering the joys of Zeppelin. And 9th grade, in accordance with teenage law, was the year of Rush.

Edited by HolyMoly - July 22 2019 at 18:56

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 20:39
^
Yep. I remember the Grace tour. We had seats a few rows in front of Alex, maybe 5th row.  Talk about psyched! 

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 10:36
Awww man that must have been great! I had wanted to see the Signals tour (even had an invite & ticket from my friend) but my folks wouldn’t let me (school night, dang it). I didn’t get to see them til Roll the Bones.

-Kehlog Albran
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 10:50
The last few I listened to in my car (since that is where I listen to most albums(cds)and usually over a day or two and not in one listen):

Mahavishnu Orchestra- The Inner Mounting Flame
Asia- same
Uriah Heep- The Magician's Birthday
Coheed and Cambria - In keeping secrets of silent earth: 3
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 11:21
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Awww man that must have been great! I had wanted to see the Signals tour (even had an invite & ticket from my friend) but my folks wouldn’t let me (school night, dang it). I didn’t get to see them til Roll the Bones.

I only saw them twice, if memory serves. Grace and Power Windows. Despite Marillion being the opening act on the latter, the Grace tour was much more memorable to me. Great seats helps, yes, but I also think the material was something they had a lot of passion for at that moment.

Like you, Signals failed to get the green light from my parents.LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 334335336337338 521>