Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 344345346347348 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 11:23
Pixies - Doolittle
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Megadeth - Dystopia

I must be one of the few who doesn't see the genius of Pet Sounds. It's okay, but that's about as much praise as I can give it. 

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 21:06
Ramping up the prog listening in anticipation of Prog Day next weekend. This’ll be my 4th year in a row going, after having gone to 3 of the first 4 back in the 90s. This is the 25th year of this thing. Truly a great festival with a great legacy.

Joni Mitchell | Night Drive Home
Fred Frith | Cheap at Half the Price
Dennis Wilson | Bambu (The Caribou Sessions)
The Monks of Doom | The Insect God EP (10” picture disc)
Van der Graaf Generator | The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other
Egg | The Polite Force

Edited by HolyMoly - August 21 2019 at 21:08
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 22:57
Last evening/night:

Steve Miller Band - Your Saving Grace
Canned Heat - Future Blues
Sun Araw - Beach Head
NOFX - Heavy Petting Zoo
Anna Von Hausswolff - Dead Magic
Invisible - Durazno Sangrando
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 01:58
^ Hey, nice to see NOFX around here. I used to listen to them all the time in my high school days Big smile

Last two days:
Dizzy Mystics - Wanderlost
Uxu Kalhus - Enleio
Jorge Palma - Bairro do Amor
Tangerine Dream - Alpha Centauri
Jacob Collier - In My Room
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
Vangelis - The Dragon (Thanks for the reminder, David! I never got a copy of it (I have Hypothesis though) but it's fantastic.)
Neu! - Neu!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 02:39
Hah seems about right! I haven’t really listened to them since high school but had a short nostalgia moment yesterday, and it was either these guys or Millencollin.
You’re quite welcome Samuel. That Vangelis album should be a stable in the Krautrock connoisseur’s diet. It is fantastic.
Digging the other Kraut albums you listed as well...you know how I feel about those TD and NEU albums: masterpieces!

This morning on the beach in extremely hot weather:
Marillion - Script (2nd disc with Market Square Heroes and Grendel)
Monobody - Raytracer
Embryo - Rache

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 22 2019 at 02:44
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sgt Pepper View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt Pepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 03:32
ILL Concieved, brilliant:

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 10:59
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Last evening/night:

Sun Araw - Beach Head
NOFX - Heavy Petting Zoo
Future Blues... love that one. Thanks to Jim I learned of a great xtra song from that period (Human Condition) that’s not on the album but is a bonus track on some CD versions. Not mine though. I’ll have to buy it a 3rd time now.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 11:10

Hah seems about right! I haven’t really listened to them since high school but had a short nostalgia moment yesterday, and it was either these guys or Millencollin.
You’re quite welcome Samuel. That Vangelis album should be a stable in the Krautrock connoisseur’s diet. It is fantastic.
Digging the other Kraut albums you listed as well...you know how I feel about those TD and NEU albums: masterpieces!
Millencollin... I completely forgot about that band!

I understand his point about not being a Vangelis album, it's an archival release from a band he played with, it was just a marketing strategy. It doesn't make it any less good though.

I'm listening to a classic every day this week. As they say, a Kraut a day keeps the doctor away LOL

Last two days:
NOFX - Heavy Petting Zoo
The Human League - Dare!
Yazoo - Upstair at Eric's
Pedro Caldeira Cabral - Pedro Caldeira Cabral
Herbie Hancock - Thrust
Reis da República - Fábulas
Ashra - New Age of Earth
The Black Wizards - Reflections
Jonas Munk & Nicklas Sørensen - Always Already Here
Esfera - Plano
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 11:20
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Last evening/night:

Sun Araw - Beach Head
NOFX - Heavy Petting Zoo
Future Blues... love that one. Thanks to Jim I learned of a great xtra song from that period (Human Condition) that’s not on the album but is a bonus track on some CD versions. Not mine though. I’ll have to buy it a 3rd time now.

Human Condition is one of my faves off that album - and yes I’ve got the cd with the bonus tracks
Got a bunch of Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze albums on vinyl and am seriously pondering whether or not to get the cd releases simply because of extra material, live and/or unreleased. I try not to get several copies of the same album though

Today before and during the flight home from Death Valley..err sorry Rhodes:
Old Dirty b*****d - Nigga Please
Chrome - Red Exposure
Wallenstein - Cosmic Century (not at all that cosmic but rather nice symph stuff instead)
The Police - Ghost In The Machine
Circle - Pharaoh Overlord
The Who - Live At Leeds

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 11:25
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Millencollin... I completely forgot about that band!

I understand his point about not being a Vangelis album, it's an archival release from a band he played with, it was just a marketing strategy. It doesn't make it any less good though.

I'm listening to a classic every day this week. As they say, a Kraut a day keeps the doctor away LOL

Last two days:
NOFX - Heavy Petting Zoo
The Human League - Dare!
Yazoo - Upstair at Eric's
Pedro Caldeira Cabral - Pedro Caldeira Cabral
Herbie Hancock - Thrust
Reis da República - Fábulas
Ashra - New Age of Earth
The Black Wizards - Reflections
Jonas Munk & Nicklas Sørensen - Always Already Here
Esfera - Plano

Yeah and most members of Floyd hate Atom Heart Mother
Being brilliant musicians doesn’t necessarily equate to good taste. I do understand where Vangelis is coming from; having your record label release stuff behind your back probably taints the album in bad vibes - even when the vibes contain therein are absolutely smokin’ and wonderfully marmalady

Yup...but only really wise doctors know the healing powers of Krautrock!

Munk and Sørensen? Had no idea. How’s the collab?

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 11:35

It was released last week. It's blissful, not far from the solo albums from both but with more of a minimalistic/slow moving approach.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 11:47
Van der Graaf Generator | Vital
United Waters | Sunburner
Tim Buckley | Starsailor
Supersister | To the Highest Bidder
Laurent Thibault | Mais on ne peut pas rêver tout le temps
Dag Nasty | Can I Say
Peter Hammill | Sitting Targets

Edited by HolyMoly - August 23 2019 at 12:22

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 21:54
Firefall - Elan
Alan Parsons - I Robot
Tea Club - If/When
Detroit Cobras - Live, Love, and Leaving
The Ink Spots - Retrospective

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 23:46
Pink Floyd - Plays the Animals (Live 77)

:p

Edited by Barbu - August 24 2019 at 18:36
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 02:22
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

It was released last week. It's blissful, not far from the solo albums from both but with more of a minimalistic/slow moving approach.

Ahh like Manual?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v_855HYL7SI

Always up for dreamy electronic soundscapes with a bit of melody on their lips

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 20:35
J. Geils Band | Love Stinks — classic rock n soul makes a smooth transition into the new wave era

Godley & Creme | Consequences — 3 LP opus. 3 sides of experimental instrumentals, 3 sides of what amounts to a radio play with occasional songs. Only partly successful, but definitely one of a kind.

Tangerine Dream | Zeit — tense and dark. But oddly calming.

Spirit | Tent of Miracles — a solid latter-day Spirit album from 1990.

Arthur Brown’s Kingdom Come | Journey — another one-of-a-kind trip. Madness lies here.

B.A.L.L. | Bird — supergroup on the Shimmy Disc label with Kramer & Licht from Shockabilly and Fleming & Spiegel from the Velvet Monkeys. Loud and loosely structured garage punk with basement echo.

Arab on Radar | Soak the Saddle — twisted noise rock too composed to be random, and too random to be composed.

Phish | 05-03-1991 Somersville MA (set 1) — one of my old Phish tapes. Transferred to digital today. This is a favorite of mine because it has great sound, and because it has Big Black Furry Creature from Mars on it.

The Byrds | Fifth Dimension — making a periodic attempt to get into the Byrds. This one generally holds my interest the most of the ones I’ve heard.

Edited by HolyMoly - August 24 2019 at 20:37

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 21:23
J. Geils....another band needing a revisit.Thumbs Up

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 03:34
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
Yes - Drama
Billy Cobham - Spectrum

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 04:39
Good call on Journey Steve! I love that album..as well as the kitsch and crude drum machine. Must spin that again some day.
I came home from Rhodes on friday to two new headphones and I haven’t been able to stop listening to music
Maybe 8 hours worth of sleep over two nights? Who cares, it’s been fun.

From memory the playlist looked something like this:

Animal Collective - Tangerine Reef (I am slowly opening up to perhaps their most difficult and experimental album to date. Took me a few spins, but it was very interesting and ‘aural’ this time around. Psychedelic and hovering old school electronics possibly also made the journey easier for this space cadet)
Goat - World Music (Amon Düül ll meets The Airplane in Congo complete with Voodoo endowered disco-funk)
Vangelis - Soil Festivies (Humongous electronic music disguised as world. Still on the fence about half of it though..but the part that I like? Like watching a mountain blossom. Just beautiful.)
Genesis - Foxtrot (Twice actually. Sounded so damn good over my new Audeze headphones and likewise American made tube amp from Schiit that I needed to double-check )
The Orb - No Sounds Are Out Of Bounds (Just needed to check the bass actually and ended up listening to the whole thing. It’s actually a very diverse album shifting from some of the most pop’y music I’ve heard from the group (rather good tbh) to psychedelic IDM to dub-electronic to full on reggae.)
Mike Oldfield - Crises (gotta love the title track and the way it builds upon the sequencers of Froese/Schulze and incorporates it into Oldfield territory with African inspired tom work and all around rhythmic galore. Goosebumps City for sure.)
Mother Turtle - Zea Mice (Greek prog rock that sounds like Vespero and King Crimson had a baby: brilliant!)
Ozric Tentacles - Waterfall Cities (Their best studio album imo. The title track is the finest interlacing of GOA trance into rock that I’ve ever come across. Always takes me to the aforementioned place of tiny cool nipples.)
Herbert F. Bairy - Traumspiel (Just to check up on something in a dream that I couldn’t quite remember and ended up with a live one instead.)
The KLF - The White Room (Killer 90s dance music!! Strange sentence in my vocabulary but it certainly exists.)
Vangelis - The Dragon (Just listen to it over Jootoob and come back to me)
Needlepoint - The Diary Of Robert Reverie (old school Canterbury fans simply can’t go wrong with this..especially if they can dig a little psychedelic, whimsical and very melodic type of jazz-rock.)
AIR - 10000 Hz Legend (One of my favourite new albums. I can listen to this over and over again without any fatigue)
Die Wilde Jagd - Uhrwald Orange (see above)
Älgarnas Trädgård - Delayed (Swedish experimental rock band moves in with the local circus Shaman.)
Arco Iris - Los Elementales (I should think just about most on here would dig this album - at least if they dig old school jazz rock.)
Avantdale Bowling Club - s/t (Best hip-hop I’ve heard in years...but maybe that is also partly down to it being one of the best jazz albums I’ve heard in years.)
Guerilla Toss - GT Ultra (Where can I sign up? I need more music that makes me act like this! Full of energy and zeitgeisty sour tasting drinks a la radioactive lemon peels.)
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Aufheben (A true return to form imho)
New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies (Old fave that I’ve been spinning much lately)
Jorge Palma - Com Uma Viagem Na Palma (Fantastic! Man it’s good to be back with this thing. Span it 4 times over the last two days. Love the warmth and clarity of the recording as well (the Sundara over some tubes together with this album is just beautiful))
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland (One of the most interesting new rock bands out there imo. If you veer towards more melodic and breezy type of rock, then I suggest you check out Sketches og Brunswick instead. Post-punk fans start out with Murder Of The Universe )
Loosense - Doze (Funk, fusion and a real bounce to it’s prawl. I really dig this album!)

Gotta stop now, but I left out the other half I listened to..but maybe I’ll come back later. Cheerio bandidomunks

Edith: damn that Danish auto-correct!!!

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 25 2019 at 07:38

- Douglas Adams
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 05:02
VDGG - Godbluff
VDGG - Pawn Hearts

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 344345346347348 522>