Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 430431432433434 520>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Teunis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 10:51
Toto - Isolation
Subsignal - La Muerta
Rocket Scientists - Brutal Architecture
Gazpacho - Fireworker
The Gentle Storm - The Diary (Gentle Version)
Soen - Imperial
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 12:16
Breathless Camel
English Electric 1 Big big train
ELP Brain Salad Surgery
Steve Wilson The raven who refused to sing
Chris Squire fish out of water
City Boy dinner at the Ritz
Syrogira bells, boots and shambles
Teunis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 12:04
Mystery - Beneath The Veil Of Winter's Face

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 17:32
Since last time I posted (all cds):

Gazpacho - When Earth Let's Go
Bolus - Triangulate
Utopia - Swing to the Right
The Doors - The Soft Parade
Pink Floyd - More (inspired by the recent poll for this album)
Todd Rundgren - One Long Year
Steve Howe - Beginnings
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 22:54
Death In June - Burial
Gentle Giant - Octopus

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 00:39
Also span Octopus last night alongside:
Cream - Fresh Cream
Pink Floyd - More
Canzoniere Del Lazio - Miradas
Art Zoyd - Berlin
The Cure - Wish
Kendrick Lamar - DAMN
Semiramis - Dedicato A Frazz
Scott Walker - Bisch Bosch
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 09:18
Peter Jefferies | Closed Circuit
Derek & the Dominos | Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs
The Rolling Stones | Exile on Main Street
The Move | Best of the Move
Destroy All Monsters | 74-76
Penguin Cafe Orchestra | Preludes, Airs, & Yodels (compilation)
Jello Biafra & NoMeansNo | The Sky is Falling & I Want My Mommy
Jad Fair | I Like it When You Smile
King Missile | Mystical sh*t
Thrilled Skinny | It’s a Good Doss
Klaus Schulze | Blackdance
R. Stevie Moore | What’s the Point?!?
Phil Collins | Serious Hits Live!
The Dead C | Armed Courage

Edited by HolyMoly - April 17 2021 at 09:20
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Teunis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 11:42
Riverside - Love, Fear And The Time Machine

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 19:33
Black Sabbath— Sabotage ( after a careful listen to this one I’ve decided I will buy the new 4cd boxset due out in June. Symptom of the universe is one of Iommi’s strongest and heaviest riffs. )

Autechure—Incunabula

The Devin Townsend Project— Z1.: the Omniscient ( the gene Hogland drumming is terrific.

Pink Floyd— Animals

David Bowie— Let’s Dance ( I actually really love Bowie’s 83 to 88 period. )
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 10:43
Hi Steve: Very nice and eclectic mix there. Been meaning to spin some Schulze lately but always end up with Vangelis for some reason. The Antarctica soundtrack fx has been my go-to album for very late night listening. Seeing you spin one of my faves of his though has made me find my copy. Thanks.
How do you feel about that Stones album btw? I’ve always felt a little underwhelmed when spinning it. In that it kind of reminds me of Sgt Pepper..two masterpieces of the British invasion that I hardly ever spin. I prefer the albums that surround those releases like Goats Head Soup, Revolver, Sticky Fingers and Magical Mystery Tour

Nick: Also very nice selection there buddy I especially dig the Autechre pick. Man I love his early work. Think I’ll spin Amber later on this evening.
Gotta love the Sabbath album as well. My two faves off of it are Megalomania and The Writ. Those tracks made me look at Sabbath in a very different way back when I first heard this album...in a good way mind you. I love it when the band fleshes out.

Today:
The Comet Is Coming - The Afterlife
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Hyæna
Parliament - The Clones Of Dr. Funkenstein
Igor Wakhevitch - Hathor
Franco Battiato - Clíc
Can - The Lost Tapes CD3
Air - Moon Safari
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 10:54
Hey David! I actually thought of you when I played Blackdance - I remember you really like that one.

Re: the Stones’ Exile: it’s an album I never quite “got”. Same with the Layla album above it. On that day, though, the mood hit me to spin both of them from start to finish (both on vinyl, which adds immeasurably to the overall experience, particularly since they’re both double albums). They’re both albums I’m usually not in the mood to hear, but when I am, I can kind of understand why they’re considered all-time greats. They basically require you to empathize with the state of mind of the creators: emotionally charged but exhausted, running on fumes and turbo-charged with the aid of booze and all kinds of drugs. It’s a specific vibe I’m not always in tune with (if yr out of your mind on booze and drugs, why not go hog wild and pull a “Revolution 9” instead of country/blues roots music? If only Yoko had been around). But I can dig it occasionally.

Also re your list - Battiato’s “Clic” has been decided as my undisputed favorite Battiato album. I listen to it extremely often and it gets better each time. Might even be my favorite Italian album overall, which is saying a lot (esp since I’ve had a resurgence in interest in PFM lately).

Edited by HolyMoly - April 18 2021 at 11:12

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 11:10
Yeah Blanckdance always ‘does’ something to me..I really love that album. Very cinematic and organic sounding - the latter most likely down to the real drums and acoustic guitars...oh and those opera vocals at the end always packs a punch and some goosebumps.
Your words about Main Street could’ve been mine. I can understand where most folks are coming from when they herald this album...but like you said yourself, I too prefer a little madness over a good country hoedown if and when I want to hear either The Stones or The Beatles flex
Yoko is loco...and sometimes that’s exactly what you want.

Edith:
Yep..I feel the same although I have a hard time picking faves when it comes to the first couple of Battiato albums. Clíc though is just...err breathtakingly enigmatic. It’s like this little sparkly universe I very often like to dive into...and I end up experiencing something new every time.
Also..it is a headphone album to die for! Sure it’s a great thing over speakers but man over a good pair of headphones..yowza!

Double Edith: Speaking of those Italians Steve, I can’t remember if I ever recommended Canzoniere Del Lazio’s Miradas? I span it here the other day...and it’s a freaky thing..and folky and a little avant..and I really dig it:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=48B1Q346L-s

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 18 2021 at 11:34

- Douglas Adams
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 18:39
Anathema - Falling Deeper
Saga - Sagacity
Vangelis - Heaven and Hell
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 10:39
Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets - Live at the Roundhouse
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes - Ame Debout
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Teunis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 11:03
IQ - Resistance
Von Hertzen Brothers - Nine Lives
Toto - Toto XIV
Pendragon - Love Over Fear
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 20:41
@Edith - Canzionere de Lazio does ring a bell. I’m pretty sure I’ve listened to that at least a few times, but it’s been a while since I had that avant-Italian binge that brought my first discovery (best thread I ever started, in terms of getting valuable recommendations).

Today was a long day. It’s been a long week. Long hours. At least I can usually listen to moozik while I work. To wit:

Black Country, New Road | For the First Time — new release, new band. Very interesting stuff. A bit mathy/post-punky but with horns and violin and stuff

Don Bradshaw-Leather | The Distance Between Us — someday I will own this, o yes

Guerilla Toss | Jay Glass Dubs vs Guerilla Toss — trippy dub versions of 4 tunes from GT Ultra

King Crimson | Lizard — just side 2 today. amazing.

The Residents | Intermission — some of my favorite Rez material on here (“Shorty’s Lament” being my absolute favorite)

The Cure | Faith / Carnage Visors — the deluxe 2 CD set. Disc 1 combines the album with the 28-minute Carnage Visors soundtrack, a great pairing

Jack Bruce | Monkjack — Jack on voice & piano, accompanied only by Bernie Worrell on low-key Hammond Organ.

The Clean | Compilation - New Zealand new wave, circa ‘79-‘81. Some of it reminds me of the early Feelies.

Edited by HolyMoly - April 19 2021 at 20:44

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 04:26
Now that you mention it I do recall one smoking Italiano-reccy thread a good while ago. That reminds me...it’s beginning to look a lot like spring here. Sun, warmth, flowers and a maelsteom of women seems to be shooting out of the ground...and well that usually spells out RPI and electronic music for me. I listened to Pholas Dactylus, Blackdance and Cervello last night..so perhaps it’s time for some modern electronic tonight. Perhaps even with a little offkilter pop-rock thrown in for good measure ie Guerilla Toss. I haven’t heard of the one you posted though...

Btw I am currently waiting on my cd copy of Faith. One of the few Cure albums I miss on cd.

- Douglas Adams
Teunis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 10:52
Pallas - The Dreams Of Men
Camel - Rajaz
Blind Ego - Mirror
Teunis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 11:10
The Pineapple Thief - Dissolution
Arena - Double Vision
Asia - Aura
Pendragon - Passion
Airbag - A Day At The Beach
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 17:34
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Now that you mention it I do recall one smoking Italiano-reccy thread a good while ago. That reminds me...it’s beginning to look a lot like spring here. Sun, warmth, flowers and a maelsteom of women seems to be shooting out of the ground...and well that usually spells out RPI and electronic music for me. I listened to Pholas Dactylus, Blackdance and Cervello last night..so perhaps it’s time for some modern electronic tonight. Perhaps even with a little offkilter pop-rock thrown in for good measure ie Guerilla Toss. I haven’t heard of the one you posted though...

Btw I am currently waiting on my cd copy of Faith. One of the few Cure albums I miss on cd.

Faith is 40 years old today, oddly enough.
And Guerilla Toss always sets me on a binge!

2 days of stuff:

Soft Machine | Switzerland 1974
Soft Machine | Seven
Trumans Water | Apistogramma
James Chance & the Contortions | Buy
Black Country, New Road | For the First Time (again; yikes this new album is gooood)
Ramones | s/t
Protomartyr | Ultimate Success Today
Shockra | 2-11-94 Horizontal Boogie Bar, Rochester NY (bootleg)
Soft Machine | 5
Slade | The Slade Box (on shuffle)
Ramones | Leave Home
Eivind Opsvik | Overseas III
Mogwai | Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
Skinny Puppy | Cleanse, Fold, and Manipulate

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 430431432433434 520>