Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 431432433434435 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 18:45
Holy crap. Steve and Dave are killing it. Nice tunes my friends.
Dave. Faith is my favourite Cure album. I really look forward to your opinion on it. It is as old as me! ;)

Steve: I had no idea you like Skinny Puppy. God. I’ll let you and Dave fight it out for who is the most diverse listener on the planet. :)

Today was light.

Queensrÿche— Live Evolution ( surprised how good this is. Really appreciate digging this one out. Very dynamic sounding live album. )

Arena— The Unquiet Sky ( God what a beautiful album, but man is it horrendously mastered. Hard listen but incredible music. 2015’s best for me. )

I also found out just now that Damian Wilson is gonna be Arena’s new singer. I think this is amazing. Only took me almost a year to find that out. I’m a poor excuse for a Prog head. )
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 01:56
^I do have a vinyl copy of Faith but it’s been ages since I last heard it. My apartment is immune to soundproofing...I can hear my neighbours fart and have the occasional wham-bam-thank-you-mam - the latter of which most often is carried out to the soothing sounds of Celine Dion
Also part of why I got hooked by headphones....and well headphones and LPs generally don’t mix that well, at least not per my tastes.
Not really sure what I’d call my fave Cure album. These days I’m head over heels in love with Kiss Me•3 and Wish.

Yesterday:
Kosmischer Laüfer - Vol 2
Stevie Wonder - Fulfillingness’ First Finale
Exmagma - Goldball
Klaus Schulze - Blackdance
Beck - Odelay
Aphex Twin - Syro
Pulsar - The Strands Of The Future
Dr. John - The Sun, Moon & Herbs
Herbie Hancock - Mwandishi

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 22 2021 at 01:56
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Teunis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 12:17
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon
Queen - Innuendo
Riverside - Shrine Of New Generation Slaves
Neal Morse Band - The Similitude Of A Dream
Soen -Imperial
The Pineapple Thief - Versions Of The Truth
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 16:09
Vangelis - Rosetta
Can - Soundtracks
Genesis - Live
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2021 at 09:49
^Nice little trilogy there. How do you feel about Rosetta? I’ve been listening to a lot of Vangelis lately and kinda overdosed on Rosetta a couple of years back..but have been meaning to revisit it lately. I feel it is one of his finer latter day offerings and I really really dig the sounds of the synths.

Me yesterday:
Gong - Angel’s Egg
Floating Points - Crush
Com Truise - Persuasion System
Ozric Tentacles - Erpland
Ulver - ATGCLVLSSCAP
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Reve Générale - Howl
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasuredome

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 23 2021 at 09:50
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Teunis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2021 at 11:20
Kansas - The Prelude Implicit
Leprous - Pitfalls
Toto - Falling In Between
Subsignal - The Beacons Of Somewhere Sometime
The Pineapple Thief - Magnolia
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2021 at 15:21
Caravan. If I could do it again I'd do it all over you.
Arena The Visitor.
King crimson USA.
S Wilson The Raven who couldn't sing
Big big Train The Undrfell Yard disc 2.
Jethro Tull Roots to Branches
Led Zeppelin 2.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2021 at 16:17
Re Vangelis, I’ve heard very little, but recently have bought & enjoyed 2 early-ish ones (Opera Sauvage & L’apocalypse des Animaux). Looking forward to getting more. What are the must-haves? Question 2: Jon & Vangelis -yay or nay?

2 days’ albums below. I was quite sick yesterday, the day after getting my 2nd dose of the Covid vaccine, but I’m back in business today. Only one of these (the first) was yesterday. You know I’m sick when I don’t even want to listen to music!

The Style Council | Confessions of a Pop Group
Jimi Hendrix | First Rays of the New Rising Sun
Träd, Gräs och Stenar | Komm Tillsammans
Belle & Sebastian | Push Barman to Open Old Wounds
Conlon Nancarrow | Orchestral & Chamber Music
Picchio dal Pozzo | s/t
Premiata Forneria Marconi | Suonare Suonare

Edited by HolyMoly - April 23 2021 at 16:20
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2021 at 18:56

Edited by BaldFriede - April 23 2021 at 18:59

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 00:12
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Re Vangelis, I’ve heard very little, but recently have bought & enjoyed 2 early-ish ones (Opera Sauvage & L’apocalypse des Animaux). Looking forward to getting more. What are the must-haves? Question 2: Jon & Vangelis -yay or nay?

2 days’ albums below. I was quite sick yesterday, the day after getting my 2nd dose of the Covid vaccine, but I’m back in business today. Only one of these (the first) was yesterday. You know I’m sick when I don’t even want to listen to music!

The Style Council | Confessions of a Pop Group
Jimi Hendrix | First Rays of the New Rising Sun
Träd, Gräs och Stenar | Komm Tillsammans
Belle & Sebastian | Push Barman to Open Old Wounds
Conlon Nancarrow | Orchestral & Chamber Music
Picchio dal Pozzo | s/t
Premiata Forneria Marconi | Suonare Suonare

I am also very very sick when I refrain from listening to any type of music...so yeah I know exactly what you mean Steve.
Luckily it’s been a while...wheeew.
Vangelis recs: The Dragon and Hypothesis. Probably a bit tough to find, but I’m fairly certain that you’ll enjoy some of the old Greek master’s more rambunctious material. The Dragon is pure Krautrock imho.
As for his more widely known material? Get Earth, China, Beaubourg and Antarctica...see if anything clicks...and perhaps afterwards check out his comradery with Jon the bon
I had to double check but it seems you own a Träd, Gräs & Stenar album that I don’t. What is this madness?!?

Me yesterday:
Can - Ege Bamyasi
Talking Heads - Little Creatures
The Orb - The Orb’s Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld
Gong - I See You
Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses
Itoiz - Alkolea
Plastikman - Musik
The Cure - Kiss Me•3

- Douglas Adams
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 07:20
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^Nice little trilogy there. How do you feel about Rosetta? I’ve been listening to a lot of Vangelis lately and kinda overdosed on Rosetta a couple of years back..but have been meaning to revisit it lately. I feel it is one of his finer latter day offerings and I really really dig the sounds of the synths.

Me yesterday:
Gong - Angel’s Egg
Floating Points - Crush
Com Truise - Persuasion System
Ozric Tentacles - Erpland
Ulver - ATGCLVLSSCAP
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Reve Générale - Howl
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasuredome

I'm not that familiar with Vangelis massive catalog. I've recently got into his music, so far I own a copy of Heaven and Hell, Opera Sauvage, Themes, 1492 and Rosetta.

The latter being a beutiful electronic album to get lost into, with many highlights like the TD inspired Perihelion.

I'll definitely get more of his albums.
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 07:24
Now:
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane Re:Lived
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 07:58
@Davidovich - thanks for the Van Jalen recs - I found a CD that includes your top 2 (Dragon/Hypothesis) in one package, so good value there! Re: Trad Gras och Stenar, what I listed was actually disc 3 of a 3 disc self-titled set I got. I’m not sure if it’s 3 albums packaged together or a bunch of unreleased stuff or what. Maybe you can enlighten me - I haven’t done my homework on the band yet. https://www.discogs.com/Träd-Gräs-Och-Stenar-Träd-Gräs-Och-Stenar/master/984708

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 15:25
@Nick - I actually know very little about Skinny Puppy, but thought I’d probably like them so I picked up that album when I had the chance. Definitely good stuff, quite dark, how I like it.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 15:41

@Nick - I actually know very little about Skinny Puppy, but thought I’d probably like them so I picked up that album when I had the chance. Definitely good stuff, quite dark, how I like it.

Amazing Steve. Nice plunge.
I recommend 1990’s Last Rights and 1985’s Remission.
You really get a terrific scope of what they are truly capable of.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 15:45
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^I do have a vinyl copy of Faith but it’s been ages since I last heard it. My apartment is immune to soundproofing...I can hear my neighbours fart and have the occasional wham-bam-thank-you-mam - the latter of which most often is carried out to the soothing sounds of Celine Dion
Also part of why I got hooked by headphones....and well headphones and LPs generally don’t mix that well, at least not per my tastes.
Not really sure what I’d call my fave Cure album. These days I’m head over heels in love with Kiss Me•3 and Wish.

Yesterday:
Kosmischer Laüfer - Vol 2
Stevie Wonder - Fulfillingness’ First Finale
Exmagma - Goldball
Klaus Schulze - Blackdance
Beck - Odelay
Aphex Twin - Syro
Pulsar - The Strands Of The Future
Dr. John - The Sun, Moon & Herbs
Herbie Hancock - Mwandishi

Ah Ze Headphone listening. God they must be saving your life due to your paper thin walls. Celine Dion than the humping?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 15:53
Today was more spirited towards ARENA, Manzi Era

ARENA— The unquiet Sky, Double Vision, 7th degree of Separation.

All are really terrific musically. All are pretty poor recordings, however they are all albums I truly like. Manzi will not be forgotten, but I just can’t wait to hear how Damian Wilson bonds with the band. I think it is gonna be huge.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 17:13
More listening. I’m doing good this weekend .

NightWish— Endless forms most beautiful ( solid album. Floor sounds great! Nice recording and terrific orchestral arrangements.

Arena— Peppers Ghost. ( it is terrific.)

ZZ Top— Eliminator ( it gives Tres Hombres a run for its money. Sounds incredible.)
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 17:28
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Amazing Steve. Nice plunge.
I recommend 1990’s Last Rights and 1985’s Remission.
You really get a terrific scope of what they are truly capable of.
excellent... thanks bro! On the wish list they go.

And Eliminator? Holy moly - that album sounds incredible even after all this time. Such a great fusion of guitar power and 80s sound that few bands could match. I love how even the guitar solos are so well thought out you can sing along with them too.

Edited by HolyMoly - April 24 2021 at 17:32

-Kehlog Albran
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 00:20
Mostly Autumn - The V Shows
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 431432433434435 522>