Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9899100101102 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 03:36
These last couple of days:

Julina Julien - Terre I
Cool ethnic multi-instrumental fusion with a wide range of sonorities

Soundgarden - SuperUnknown
Grunge / stoner

Wooden Baby
Very nice and original mixture of pysch/space rock and electronics with 80's goth rock / cold wave.
Recommended to all Ozrics, 80's Hawkwind and strange psych music fans.

Some Wooden Baby samples on youtube:

Bathory - The Return...
An underrated and somehow overlooked album, but one of his darkest opus, marking the true birth of modern black metal sound

Edited by Modrigue - February 20 2017 at 03:41
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 04:13
Morton Feldman - Why Patterns? / Crippled Symmetry
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 08:42
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Also Franco Falsini's solo disc `Cold Nose' (which seems to pop up on this page once in a while) is a ambient/electronic/Ashra-like stunner, although I seem to recall you've listened to that before, Tymon?

I haven't. Confused I need to check it out, as the "Ashra-like" adjective sounds delicious. Smile
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 15:45
Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre - Humility in the Light of the Creator
Area - Maledetti
Neurosis - Times of Grace
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 19:31
The Scorpions - "In Trance": Nice guitar tone, and it generally rocks, but the air of self-reflecting melancholy is all over this thing, especially lyrically. I always thought the cover was hilarious raunch, but now I'm wondering if something else is going on here. "Without your guitar, you're just another nobody waiting to die. I might as well just make love to your guitar."Cry

Some revisits from my youth:

Dokken - "Tooth and Nail": I like the title track and "Turn on the Action". Gotta say, for naming the band after the singer, he's fairly average in the grand scheme of things. George Lynch's guitar solos are cool though. Lynch would have been a better band name too.

Ratt - "Out of the Cellar": Haven't heard this in decades due to ditching hair metal for the thrashier stuff, but now I'm older and this nostalgia trip was a good ride! I actually enjoy this quite a bit, and "She Wants Money" is a total riot. Love it!

Dio - "The Last in Line": Improved production over the debut, and the title track remains my fav Dio song. Kinda top heavy, with the first four numbers being great headbangers, but "One Night in the City" kinda bogs things down. So tired of rock songs about 'Johnny'. There must be hundreds of them.

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 00:40
All Them Witches - Sleeping Through The War  (Nashville, Tenn.  2017)
Alternative, desert rock, psych jam  

Universal Hippies - Dead Hippie's Revolution  (Greece  2017)
Instrumental classic rock, psych rock, stoner rock 

John Garcia - The Coyote Who Spoke In Tongues  (Palm Desert, CA  2017)
Acoustic desert rock 

Sonora - Welcome To The Desert EP  (Barnaul, Russia  2016)
Instrumental psychedelic space rock 

Sonora Ritual - Dust Monument  (Germany  2016)
Heavy rock, psych, stoner, doom 

Kamadeva - Kamadeva   (Valencia, Spain  2015)
Hard rock stoner trio with a psych rock edge 
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatfabulousalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 00:56
Sgt Peppers

...it was alright, but WOIIFTM is vastly superior Embarrassed

There is something alluring about A day in the life though
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 02:39
Gryphon - Red Queen to Gryphon Three
Egberto Gismonti - Academia de danças
Haruoni Hosono - Cochin Moon
Craig Leon - Nommos
Tom Nehls - I always catch the third second of a yellow light
La Düsseldorf - s/t
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 02:59
Last two afternoons:

Ashra – Blackouts
Earth and Fire – s/t
Franco Falsini – Cold Nose
Tangerine Dream – Underwater Sunlight
Rush – Moving Pictures
Rush – A Farewell to Kings
Alpha Wave Movement – Earthen
Steve Roach – Painting in the Dark
Steve Roach – Arc of Passion
Deuter - Aum
Gong – Gazeuse!
Can – Future Days
Can – Landed

Neu! – 2 - meh, pretty throwaway album without actually being bad as such...just eclipsed by pretty much every other Krautrock album out there!

Deuter – Celebration – It’s really lovely, Sam, has a frequently cool hippie/acid folk flavour to it, and although it’s often gentle, it’s still nowhere near being `New Age’, and there’s one particular stunning longer experimental Krautrock–styled electronic/acoustic piece on the first side. Will post the review tomorrow.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 03:02
^ Sounds cool, I'll be sure to read it Thumbs Up

How's "Landed"? I never heard of it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 04:48
Not really too sure yet what to make of `Landed', Sam. I just picked it up the other day unexpectedly, gave it a spin today and found it wildly inconsistent. Some of it seems alarmingly straight, parts of the poppier elements are a bit mundane, and the most interesting `Unfinished' track arrives a little too late at the very end of the album. Still, I'm on a second spin and finding very cool stuff popping up here and there, so will stick to it. Anyone here a massive fan of it?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 18:26
Albert Ayler - New York Ear and Eye Control
Andrew Hill - Point of Departure
Andrew Hill - Judgement!
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 01:46
Cavern - Outsiders  (Oakland, Maryland  2015)
Instrumental, stoner, post rock (for fans of Baroness, Russian Circles)

Skog Under Jord - Skog Under Jord  (Sweden  2017)
Instrumental, progressive, avant-garde  (dual guitars, Hammond organ)

Palace In Thunderland - In The Afterglow Of Unity  (Springfield, MA  2015)
Hard rock, stoner, psych with dual lead guitars  (members of Black Pyramid and Blue Aside)

Kingnomad - Mapping The Inner Void  (Sweden  2017)
Classic hard rock, doom, stoner, occult 

Triptonus - Triptonus   (Vienna, Austria  2015)
Instrumental, progressive, psych jams 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 02:54

Not really too sure yet what to make of `Landed', Sam. I just picked it up the other day unexpectedly, gave it a spin today and found it wildly inconsistent. Some of it seems alarmingly straight, parts of the poppier elements are a bit mundane, and the most interesting `Unfinished' track arrives a little too late at the very end of the album. Still, I'm on a second spin and finding very cool stuff popping up here and there, so will stick to it. Anyone here a massive fan of it?
Hmmm, I guess I'll have to give it a listen eventually. I quite liked "Inner Space" and I think it has a worse rating.

Cai - Noche Abierta
Bruno Pernadas - Those Who Throw Objects at Crocodiles Will Be Asked to Retrieve Them
SBB - Memento z Banalnym Tryptykiem
Gruppo 2001 - L'alba di Domani
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 04:50
I liked `Landed' a little better today on my second listen, Sam, but there's still large stretches where it's quite forgettable. I kind of felt like I could have sent the time listening to better albums from then.

That's a nice RPI album that Gruppo 2001 one too...I've always argued that the first track sets a pretty high standard that a lot of the rest of the album doesn't quite capture, but there's still some pretty good other stuff on it. Not one of the essentials, but certainly one of the appreciated!
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 12:02
Over the last few days:
Staff Carpenborg and the Electric Corona - Fantastic Party
Franco Falsini - Cold Nose (Indeed, Michael, this is a great album, very beautiful)

Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 23:59
Wednesday...

Black Prism - Black Prism  (Los Angeles, CA  2016)
Black Sabbath style hard rock, doom, occult rock 

Cuzo - Alquimia Para Principiantes  (Barcelona. Spain  2002)
Instrumental, experimental, psych, jam trio 

Heterodox - Elixir Of Lethe  (Hawkes Bay, New Zealand  2014)
Heavy doom, stoner power trio 

Elder - Lore   (New Bedford, MA  2015)
Mostly instrumental, heavy psych, stoner trio 

Earthling Society - Zen b*****d  (Fleetwood, England  2017)
Mostly instrumental intense space rock 

Domovoyd - Oh Sensibility  (Seinajoki, Finland  2013)
"Masters of dark, hypnotic, sprawling, hazed-out doom"

Custom Black - Smoke Shall Rise  (Kansas City, Kansas  2017)
Classic rock, stoner, doom trio 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 03:32

That's a nice RPI album that Gruppo 2001 one too...I've always argued that the first track sets a pretty high standard that a lot of the rest of the album doesn't quite capture, but there's still some pretty good other stuff on it. Not one of the essentials, but certainly one of the appreciated!
I never heard it before, I picked a random RPI album on Youtube. I really enjoyed it, but I agree, the first song is something else Smile

FEM - Sulla Bolla di Sapone (I'm trying to imagine how they'll sound in their next album, with a new vocalist. It's one of the reasons why I love this album.)
Sounds of New Soma - Moebius Tunnel
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 04:36
I've got that Gruppo 2001 album on a nice reissued Mini LP CD set, Sam, the vintage Italian discs always look great as those. It comes with a bonus single at the end of the disc that was quite charming too.

Oh no, has the vocalist left F.E.M? Where did you read that?

Definitely one of the standout things about the second disc....

Man, that will make three vocalists in as many albums!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 07:34
Andrew Hill - Black Fire
Lydia Lunch - Queen of Siam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9899100101102 522>