Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 03:21
I've been spinning that `Saat' album since I picked it up recently a heap, Sam, a really fine album, and I agree 100% that it should be listed under Krautrock on the site here. Much of it may have a grounding in folk, but all the trippy electronics and fuzzier moments are a world beyond mere `folk'...some of the instrumental moments even reminded me a little of the early Deuter albums, with a touch of Amon Duul 2 thrown in.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 03:40
^ I didn't listen to the debut but it's supposed to be pure Folk, it's probably why it's under Prog Folk... and maybe it's too accessible for Krautrock, it has to be weird to keep people away from it :P
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 03:51
Actually, that's a very valid point, I wonder if it's available to spin on Youtube? I was already thinking of approaching a review for `Saat' sometime soon, but it would be best to hear the debut....we might have another Asgard on our hands!

Which reminds me to look into their debut, seeing as how much I (well, WE!) dug the follow-up!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 04:04
Saat is a Folky Krautrock album. Love it to bits
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 01:09
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

^Underrated TD album right there. Great opening!

Oh yeah, isn't it?! Classic kosmische musik. I like how this one is different from for example Zeit with the latter being much denser and Atem being much more liquid and generally more "floaty" if that makes any sense.

Yesterday:
Lard Free - I'm Around About Midnight
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 03:23
Porcupine Tree - On The Sunday of Life (I don't understand why this is considered the worst PT album. It's incredibly trippy, certainly one of my favourites.)
Le Porte Non Aperte - Goblin
Aksak Maboul -  Onze Danses Pour Combattre la Migraine (Cool album, very accessible for RIO.)
Pristine - Detoxing
Jaga Jazzist - Starfire (One of the answers to the annoying question "is progressive music really progressing?".)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 04:54
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Aksak Maboul -  Onze Danses Pour Combattre la Migraine (Cool album, very accessible for RIO.)

Thumbs Up Glad you enjoyed it! It is indeed very accessible for RIO, but still quite uncompromising at the same time.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 06:24
Yesterday:

Ted Nugent - Hunt Music
Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Marshall Tucker Band - Running Like The Wind
Paul Simon - Graceland
Supertramp - Crime of the Century
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 13:02
Karuna Khyal - Alomoni 1985 (insane Japanese psychedelic rock)
Popol Vuh - Affenstunde
Datetenryu - 1971 (another wild psychedelic rock album from Japan, though not as experimental as Karuna Khyal)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 19:24
Something of a marathon today:

Rush - Moving Pictures
Crucis - Los Delirios Del Mariscal
Van Halen - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
George Thorogood - Move It On Over
Jeff Beck - Wired
PFM - Storia Di Un Minuto
Lady With - Lady With A Monkey
Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young - So Far
King Crimson - Islands
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 03:13
Asgard - Tradition & Renouveau
Ripaille - La Vieille Que l'on Brűla
Saga - Heads or Tales (Soon out of my collection, I hope.)
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Much needed after that Saga album. I never get tired of this album.)
DreamTechPlus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreamTechPlus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 07:03
The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Merle Haggard - Mama Tried
Lexicon - Youth Is Yours
The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go?
The Cookies - Complete Discography
Lexicon - Youth Is Yours (again)
Lance Lipscomb - Texas Sharecropper & Songster
Bilal - Love For Sale

Edited by DreamTechPlus - July 13 2017 at 07:03
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 11:32
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Oh, I forgot about this one. I liked it to the point of questioning my mental sanity LOL

Today:
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Scorpions - Acoustica
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 11:40

Asgard - Tradition & Renouveau
Saga - Heads or Tales (Soon out of my collection, I hope.)

Oh yeah, Asgard...that's the bees knees, baby!

Ha, is that the Saga album with the ringmaster on the front?

Have you at least heard their first four albums? They're better than that one, although I could hardly consider myself a massive fan of them. Start with the debut and get up to `Worlds Apart' (and/or maybe the live album `In Transit') and see if you like them better.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 07:37
Yesterday:

Yes - Going For The One
Blackfoot - Strikes
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping
Outlaws - Lady In Waiting
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 10:46
Hey Tymon (and Sam!), I might have a nice obscure recommendation for you. It's a one-off rarity from 1972 from a long vanished German group, a kind of acid-folk/jazz/Kraut/whatever deal, very eclectic. I've had the LP reissue for some time, but have just given it the first spin again now for a couple of years. I forgot how beautiful it is, and quite rough around the edges!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJy7TNnjwC4

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7688
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 11:03
^Niiiice!!! Will have to check the whole album out tomorrow, I really like what I'm hearing from the snippets of that YouTube video. Thank you for the recommendation! Smile Speaking of German progressive folk, do you know Bröselmaschine? Another lost gem right there, a bit more on the oriental side, though.
EDIT:

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Oh, I forgot about this one. I liked it to the point of questioning my mental sanity LOL

Sorry, I did not notice your reply until now. I felt exactly the same way. LOL One of the craziest and rawest recotds I've heard in a while.

Today for me:
Zacht Automaat - I Can Feel the Mold in Me (dead slow, no wake)
Lone - Everything is Changing Colour
Banten - Banten

Edited by ALotOfBottle - July 14 2017 at 11:14
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 11:11
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Oh yeah, Asgard...that's the bees knees, baby!

Ha, is that the Saga album with the ringmaster on the front? 

Have you at least heard their first four albums? They're better than that one, although I could hardly consider myself a massive fan of them. Start with the debut and get up to `Worlds Apart' (and/or maybe the live album `In Transit') and see if you like them better.
Yup! Big smile

Yes it is. I heard the albums you mention but took a chance on this one. I only paid like 2€ for it so it's all good Tongue

Hey Tymon (and Sam!), I might have a nice obscure recommendation for you. It's a one-off rarity from 1972 from a long vanished German group, a kind of acid-folk/jazz/Kraut/whatever deal, very eclectic. I've had the LP reissue for some time, but have just given it the first spin again now for a couple of years. I forgot how beautiful it is, and quite rough around the edges! 
I hope I won't forget to check this out next week.

Slooooow Friday:
Lena d'Água - Perto de Ti
Giorgio Moroder - From Here to Eternity
Samuel Cadima - Cascata
Torga Ostera - Queda Ascendente
Diabo na Cruz - Roque Popular
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 14:53
Last two nights choices:

Caravan – Waterloo Lily
Renaissance – Novella
Renaissance – A Song for All Seasons
Santana – Welcome
Santana – III
Fuchsia – s/t
Sundenfall 2 – s/t (Maybe hard to truly love all of it, but such a beautiful and eclectic folk-psych gem)
Robert Schroeder – Harmonic Ascendant
Robert Rich – Live at the Gatherings 2015
Ishq/Experiments in Sound – Suspended Form
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 15:16

Last two nights choices:

Caravan – Waterloo Lily
Renaissance – Novella
Renaissance – A Song for All Seasons
Santana – Welcome
Santana – III
Fuchsia – s/t
Sundenfall 2 – s/t (Maybe hard to truly love all of it, but such a beautiful and eclectic folk-psych gem)
Robert Schroeder – Harmonic Ascendant
Robert Rich – Live at the Gatherings 2015
Ishq/Experiments in Sound – Suspended Form

what did you think of those "latter day" renaissance albums?  We have a bit of a contingent here, especially the prog folk deliettantes, who think ASFAS is their best, though there is obviously close competition.  I keep forgetting to check out other Caravan besides ITLOGAP.  Have you tried Fuchsia's "comeback" album released a few years ago?  Surprisingly good and updated but still recognizable.  I enjoeyed the Sundenfall album.  Try "Midnight Circus" or the group O.W.L.

Today I added some albums by Basque folkie Benito Lertxundi and listened to quite a few of them.  A bit mellow, like a cross betweeen Alan Stivell and Gilles Servat more so than any Basque groups I've heard.  He was in the Basque underground movement from early on, so his themes may be anything but mellow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 522>