Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 136137138139140 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 21:51
Today:
Kluster - Klopfzeichen
Los Jaivas - Obras de Violeta Parra
Plat Du Jour - Plat Du Jour
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 23:19
I don't often participate in this thread, but today listened to something I thought was completely amazing!  All 4 CD's of the recent Beatles Sgt Peppers 50th Anniversary Deluxe Box.

CD1:  New stereo mix by George Martin's son Giles
CD2 & 3:  33 studio outtakes from the Sgt Peppers sessions
CD4:  Original mono mix of the album and Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane single 

The outtakes discs were the most fun.  My faves were the unaccompanied string section part of "She's Leaving Home" composed by George Martin...beautiful and a piece of music that stood on it's own even without Paul & John's vocals.  Next best was a recording of George Harrison instructing his Indian musician friends on how to count out and play "Within You, Without You".  Fascinating.  Then of course you had both versions of Strawberry Fields which were later sped up/slowed down and joined together to make the final song.  I also really liked CD4 for it's historical value.  The original mono mix which George Martin highly preferred over the stereo version...legend has it that he tried to convince Brian Epstein and the band to not even do a stereo mix.  It had a lot more punch than the stereo version which sometimes is so extremely panned (vocals hard left, drums hard right, etc) that it loses definition on anything but headphones (where it's very cool).

I'd highly recommend other Beatle nuts to get this if you haven't already Wink

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 03:41
^ I'd very much like to have the mono mix on vinyl, I always find it on stereo. I also find the stereo version of Floyd's debut very annoying and much prefer the mono mix.

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

I'm not going to infuriate myself by looking up if he played in Poland recently. LOL

Today:
Can - Future Days (Beautiful music, this evoked some really heavy emotions today)
That's probably a good idea Tongue

Yes, indeed! I should seriously look into Ege Bamyasi, I only heard it a couple of times.

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Had the day off, so I spent some good quality time having a prog-'til-you-drop marathon:
You sure deserve the gold medal Big smile

Yesterday:
Once & Future Band - s/t
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
Pink Floyd - Animals (I really enjoyed it again, it was my first time on vinyl with my current turntable and I heard some stuff completely unknown to me, mostly Wright's contributions.)
Klaus Schulze - Timewind (My headphones flew at the end of side one Wacko)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 06:00
Man, some AMAZING selections over the last two pages in here!

Just a couple for me tonight, but my latest order arrived, so tons to start overdosing on! :

Steve Roach – Future Flows

Twenty Sixty Six and Then – Reflections From the Future

Atomic Rooster – In Hearing Of… (did you like this one, Sam?)

Nova – Wings of Love – Such a cool and breezy funky poppy jazz-fusion album!

Tonton Macoute – s/t – I assume some of you gentlemen have heard this great one before from ’71? Some killer piano, flute and sax playing throughout. The first track is probably the weakest (sounds a bit like the Rolling Stones to my ears) without being bad, but after that it’s such a mellow jazzy knockout!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH1qGZGF9HY
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 07:42
Today's spins. No work today. :)

Mostly Autumn-- Ghost Light Orchestra.
Seconds before Landing-now that I have your attention
NIN-- Add Violence EP
NIN-- Not the actual events EP
Killing Joke-- Pylon
Godsmack-- The other side
Arena-- Welcome to the Stage
Riverside-- 2nd-Life-Syndrome
Ghost-- If you have ghosts EP
Pink Floyd-- Shine On (Live 1988.)
Fields of the Nephilim-- Revelations

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 07:45
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I don't often participate in this thread, but today listened to something I thought was completely amazing!  All 4 CD's of the recent Beatles Sgt Peppers 50th Anniversary Deluxe Box.

The outtakes discs were the most fun.  My faves were the unaccompanied string section part of "She's Leaving Home" composed by George Martin...beautiful and a piece of music that stood on it's own even without Paul & John's vocals.  Next best was a recording of George Harrison instructing his Indian musician friends on how to count out and play "Within You, Without You".  Fascinating.  Then of course you had both versions of Strawberry Fields which were later sped up/slowed down and joined together to make the final song.  I also really liked CD4 for it's historical value.  The original mono mix which George Martin highly preferred over the stereo version...legend has it that he tried to convince Brian Epstein and the band to not even do a stereo mix.  It had a lot more punch than the stereo version which sometimes is so extremely panned (vocals hard left, drums hard right, etc) that it loses definition on anything but headphones (where it's very cool).

Jealous!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 07:47
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Jealous!!!

Also if you have no room for that Blu ray audio disc I know someone who does.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 10:34
I don't think I ever participated in this thread...

Yesterday evening:

Ulver - Nattens Madrigal
Mgła - Exercises In Futility
Burzum - The Ways of Yore
Vangelis - Beaubourg
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 10:47
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ I'd very much like to have the mono mix on vinyl, I always find it on stereo. I also find the stereo version of Floyd's debut very annoying and much prefer the mono mix.

Hey Sam!

I just had a look and the double LP vinyl version of the 50th anniversary set doesn't include the mono mix (lp1 = 2017 new stereo mix, lp2 = studio outtakes).  Guess you'll have to keep looking Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 10:48

Jealous!!!  

Also if you have no room for that Blu ray audio disc I know someone who does.  

Hey, I think I know that guy too LOL
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 19:17
Great to see some new faces in this thread!

Today was all about trying out new albums:
Ozric Tentacles - Erpland
Juan Martin - Picasso Portraits
Ragnarok - Ragnarok
Tangerine Dream - Tangram

Ragnarok was the winner here, but Tangram was also a lot of fun. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 01:35
Yesterday:
Don Cherry - Eternal Now
Don Cherry - Eternal Rhythm
GAM - Eiszeit
Master Wilburn Burchette - Psychic Meditation Music
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 03:34

Hey Sam!

I just had a look and the double LP vinyl version of the 50th anniversary set doesn't include the mono mix (lp1 = 2017 new stereo mix, lp2 = studio outtakes).  Guess you'll have to keep looking Wink
Yeah, I saw that one plenty of times at record stores. The last mono vinyl edition was a few years ago when the mono boxset was released. I could order it, but there's just too much music on my wishlist on top of it Embarrassed

Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

I don't think I ever participated in this thread...
Welcome! I keep telling myself I should give Beaubourg another listen. It's not an easy album to get into.

Great to see some new faces in this thread!

Today was all about trying out new albums:
Ozric Tentacles - Erpland
Juan Martin - Picasso Portraits
Ragnarok - Ragnarok
Tangerine Dream - Tangram

Ragnarok was the winner here, but Tangram was also a lot of fun. 
First time with the Ozrics? How was it?

Which Ragnarok, Swedish or Kiwi?

I already expressed my opinion about Tangram a lot lately, I might start to sound crazy LOL Glad you liked it.

Yesterday a morning came:
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Flying Microtonal Banana
Casiopea - s/t
Osamu Kitajima - Dragon King
Sheena Ringo - Karuki Zahmen Kuri No Hana
Eloy - Time to Turn
Barrows - Obsidion
Mike Oldfield - Amarok (60 minutes and constantly changing, good thing I have a great attention span Tongue)
Lizards Exist - s/t
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 04:11
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Atomic Rooster – In Hearing Of… (did you like this one, Sam?)

Tonton Macoute – s/t – I assume some of you gentlemen have heard this great one before from ’71? Some killer piano, flute and sax playing throughout. The first track is probably the weakest (sounds a bit like the Rolling Stones to my ears) without being bad, but after that it’s such a mellow jazzy knockout!
Yes, but I'll need to give it another couple of spins.

I remember you and David talking about that one but I never heard it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 09:28
Busy day so only got to 1 album yesterday but it's one of my favorite obscure US prog 1 album wonders...

Netherworld - In the Following Half Light (1979)

Edited by The.Crimson.King - August 03 2017 at 09:29
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 15:01
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

First time with the Ozrics? How was it?

Which Ragnarok, Swedish or Kiwi?

I already expressed my opinion about Tangram a lot lately, I might start to sound crazy LOL Glad you liked it.

1. The Ozrics were definitely enjoyable, but I can't say it really pulled me in or did anything profound. Definitely a band I'll revisit in the future, though.

2. The Swedes

Edit: Only two albums today, but I made them count!

Yes - The Yes Album
Osanna - Palepoli

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - August 03 2017 at 19:40
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 21:14

Had a pretty good day today.

Peter Gabriel-- 3 (Melt)
Depeche Mode-- Spirit (Deluxe)
APP-- The APP that never was (Eric Woolfson)
R.A.T.M-- s/t & Evil Empire
APP-- Tales...1987 remix
Dream Theater-- The Astonishing
Public Enemy-- Musick in hr message
Public Enemy-- Yo! bum Rush the show.
Peter Gabriel-- UP
Eden house-- Half-Life
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2017 at 03:24
Nick, with all my digging around moving my CD collection about, I FINALLY came across my long-buried `Up' Gabriel album, can't wait to give it a new listen. What a superb album, best solo album he ever did to my ears.

Anyway, last two nights, all symphonic/Neo:

Pendragon – The Masquerade Overture
Arena – The Visitor
I.Q – Tales from the Lush Attic
Twelfth Night – Live at the Target (vinyl version)
Comedy of Errors - Spirit
Leap Day – From the Days of Deucalion: chapter 2
Jadis – More than Meets the Eye
Big Big Train – Folklore
Monarch Trail - Sand
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2017 at 04:17
^ Bit of Neo I see.......
Bless you, Mike !!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2017 at 04:38

1. The Ozrics were definitely enjoyable, but I can't say it really pulled me in or did anything profound. Definitely a band I'll revisit in the future, though.

2. The Swedes
I don't expect anything profound when I listen to them, I do it for fun :)

It has been recommended to me a few times on Youtube, the next time I'll click on it.

Yesterday:
Magma - Attahk
Casiopea - Superflight (I've been very much into this soft Fusion stuff lately. Easy to the ear and yet very complex.)
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Murder of the Universe
A.R. & Machines - Die Grüne Reise (When you can't afford a synthesizer and do vocal impressions instead :P)
Lou Donaldson - The Natural Soul
Jorge Palma - Quarto Minguante
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 136137138139140 522>