Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 168169170171172 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2017 at 22:55
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

About southern music I quess you like Allman Brothers too? To me their first five albums have been in lot listening and they´re just great!

Absolutely! I would consider myself every bit as much of a Southern Rock fan as a prog fan, so the Allman Brothers definitely get some heavy rotation on my stereo. As do the Marshall Tucker Band, Outlaws, Charlie Daniels Band, Blackfoot, etc.

Anyway, just one album today:

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2017 at 23:56
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance

So absolutely great great great album, just like Dub Housing, New Picnic Time & the Art of Walking are too!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 00:02
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

About southern music I quess you like Allman Brothers too? To me their first five albums have been in lot listening and they´re just great!

Absolutely! I would consider myself every bit as much of a Southern Rock fan as a prog fan, so the Allman Brothers definitely get some heavy rotation on my stereo. As do the Marshall Tucker Band, Outlaws, Charlie Daniels Band, Blackfoot, etc.

Anyway, just one album today:

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Well, I am not. Mostly listened just Lynyrd and Allman, quite recently listened all the Blackfoot albums from No reservations to Marauder, they´re all quite good. My brother used to be big southern fan, so I have heard all the bands you mentioned. Maybe listen some Outlaws some day...I remember I liked their Hurry Sundown album. Atom heart is my favourite Pink! Just have listened some of their solos first time, have to say Rog´s the best, although there are some great feelings in Wright´s first. Fictious Sports is also kind of interesting album, but not for the Nick´s sake. Like really Wyatt´s vocals in it.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 09:23
yesterday and today:
Nico: Camera Obscura
Dr. Feelgood: As It Happens
YUP: Keppijumppaa
Ramones: Halfway To Sanity
10cc: Sheet Music
Charley Patton: Founder Of the Delta Blues
Tim Buckley: Blue Afternoon
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 09:52

So absolutely great great great album, just like Dub Housing, New Picnic Time & the Art of Walking are too!

It's a fine album, but it doesn't quite reach the peaks of other post-punk acts (The Pop Group, Lemon Kittens) for me. I'll probably be getting Dub Housing relatively soon, however, so I'm looking forward to more inane ramblings over dissonant, screeching punk. 

Have you heard The Marble Index or Desertshore? Both are great; the latter especially is an incredibly special album. 

Edit: In other news, happy 1000th point for me apparently. Seems like just yesterday I was but a prog pipsqueak, posting his first list on Kevin's Best Songs thread. And now I'm... well... living in the same hallway of the same dormitory while listening to much of the same music. Oh the ravages of time...

Edited by mechanicalflattery - December 16 2017 at 09:56
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 12:45
Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Sun Araw - Ancient Romans
Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel
Tortoise - Rhythms, Resolutions & Clusters
Tortoise - TNT
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 12:56

It's a fine album, but it doesn't quite reach the peaks of other post-punk acts (The Pop Group, Lemon Kittens) for me. I'll probably be getting Dub Housing relatively soon, however, so I'm looking forward to more inane ramblings over dissonant, screeching punk. 

Have you heard The Marble Index or Desertshore? Both are great; the latter especially is an incredibly special album. 

Edit: In other news, happy 1000th point for me apparently. Seems like just yesterday I was but a prog pipsqueak, posting his first list on Kevin's Best Songs thread. And now I'm... well... living in the same hallway of the same dormitory while listening to much of the same music. Oh the ravages of time...
As a matter of fact Modern Dance is one of the most conventional albums of Pere Ubus (well maybe Cloudland and next two albums are even more), the three next albums they went much more avantgarde direction. You should definitely listen Art Of Walking, there is Red Krayola´s Mayo Thompson in guitar. Yes, I have listened a lot Marble Index, Desertshore and the End, I think those three are the best Nico-albums. And I love the Pop Group, haven´t ever heard Lemon Kittens. Have you heard the Raincoats? Their Odyshape is just sooo great!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 18:03
The Ghosts of Pripyat - Steve Rothery
Just a Collection of Antiques and Curios - Strawbs
Please Come Home - Lonely Robot
Three Friends - Gentle Giant
A Farewell to Kings - Rush
Heavy Horses - Jethro Tull
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 20:07

As a matter of fact Modern Dance is one of the most conventional albums of Pere Ubus (well maybe Cloudland and next two albums are even more), the three next albums they went much more avantgarde direction. You should definitely listen Art Of Walking, there is Red Krayola´s Mayo Thompson in guitar. Yes, I have listened a lot Marble Index, Desertshore and the End, I think those three are the best Nico-albums. And I love the Pop Group, haven´t ever heard Lemon Kittens. Have you heard the Raincoats? Their Odyshape is just sooo great!

Odyshape is great, I had that ranked somewhere on a top 100 list I posted a few months ago. That album tends to be unjustly neglected; in a fair world, it would've been one of the most influential albums of the 80's. I wrote a paragraph on the album for a philosophy of music class earlier this year actually. 

Lemon Kittens is definitely more obscure, but if you ever have the opportunity to get your hands on an album called We Buy A Hammer For Daddy, definitely go for it. It's a more surreal, off-kilter, demented nursery-rhymish take on post-punk by a guy and gal duo. And of course, there's always the scratchy, psychotic no wave of DNA or James Chance and the Contortions. 

Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup
Stereolab - Dots and Loops
Material - Memory Serves
Merzbow - Bariken
Labradford - Prazision LP

Edited by mechanicalflattery - December 16 2017 at 20:49
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 21:48

Atom heart is my favourite Pink! Just have listened some of their solos first time, have to say Rog´s the best, although there are some great feelings in Wright´s first. Fictious Sports is also kind of interesting album, but not for the Nick´s sake. Like really Wyatt´s vocals in it.

Yeah, Atom Heat Mother is a great one. Gotta love the symphonic touches on the title track and the slightly pastoral feel of the second side. I'd probably have it tied for first alongside Animals for my favourite Floyd album. I'm not a huge Floyd fan, though, so I haven't really taken the time to look into their solo careers. Any albums in particular you'd recommend I'd start with?

Camel - Mirage
Van Halen - Fair Warning
Van Halen - Women and Children First
Rush - Caress of Steel
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
SBB - Pamiec
Charlie Cawood - The Divine Abstract
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 22:52

Odyshape is great, I had that ranked somewhere on a top 100 list I posted a few months ago. That album tends to be unjustly neglected; in a fair world, it would've been one of the most influential albums of the 80's. I wrote a paragraph on the album for a philosophy of music class earlier this year actually. 

Lemon Kittens is definitely more obscure, but if you ever have the opportunity to get your hands on an album called We Buy A Hammer For Daddy, definitely go for it. It's a more surreal, off-kilter, demented nursery-rhymish take on post-punk by a guy and gal duo. And of course, there's always the scratchy, psychotic no wave of DNA or James Chance and the Contortions. 
Totally agree about Odyshape! I found it just a few years ago and really accidentally. Some years ago somebody has recommended me Red Krayola (what do you like them?) then I noticed that Gina Birch who is in the Red Krayolas Kangaroo? album has been in the Raincoats and started to listen them. To me it seems for example the Slits is more respected than Raincoats even it´s not even near of the greatness of Raincoats. I will listen Lemon Kittens, thanx for the recommendation.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 23:03
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Atom heart is my favourite Pink! Just have listened some of their solos first time, have to say Rog´s the best, although there are some great feelings in Wright´s first. Fictious Sports is also kind of interesting album, but not for the Nick´s sake. Like really Wyatt´s vocals in it.

Yeah, Atom Heat Mother is a great one. Gotta love the symphonic touches on the title track and the slightly pastoral feel of the second side. I'd probably have it tied for first alongside Animals for my favourite Floyd album. I'm not a huge Floyd fan, though, so I haven't really taken the time to look into their solo careers. Any albums in particular you'd recommend I'd start with?

Camel - Mirage
Van Halen - Fair Warning
Van Halen - Women and Children First
Rush - Caress of Steel
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
SBB - Pamiec
Charlie Cawood - The Divine Abstract
Well, I have been huge Floyd-fan soon almost four decades, but a long time only solo album I`ve listened was Rogers Pros and Cons (not even any Gilmour albums). When Roger released his new one and Gilmour put out Pompeii, I decided to listen all the solos I can get. I think you just waste your time with them, none of them are not even close to the greatness of Pink Floyd albums (quite recently listened a Final Cut after a long time and it sounded much better than I thought, it´s better than any Rog`s solo). If you really want to try some, then listen Roger´s Is This the Life We Really want? If you like what Wright has done on Floyd, then Wet Dream will be your choise too.

Really funny, it´s not a long ago I listened Van Halen eighties album (there was also really long time I`ve listened them)

I think I read some other chain you like Country music too. I have never been big fan, but Nitty Gritty Dirt Band has been my long time favourite (their Uncle Charlie-album is sooo great!). Just recently I have started listen also Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 23:04
About the Floyd "Animals" is too one of my favourites their after Atom-albums!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 00:06

Just listened that Lemon Kittens album, it´s really great! Going to listen the Big Dentist too. BTW I believe you are familiar with Boys Next Door/the Birthday Party?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 07:45

Just listened that Lemon Kittens album, it´s really great! Going to listen the Big Dentist too. BTW I believe you are familiar with Boys Next Door/the Birthday Party?

Oh cool, where'd you find either album? I haven't found The Big Dentist anywhere myself (although I prefer to buy albums beforehand, so I may just be shooting myself in the foot; there's a good chance it's on Youtube).

I know of The Birthday Party, and I've listened to selections from Prayers on Fire, but I wasn't really all that impressed. As for Red Krayola, I've heard Parable of Arable Land a few times. It's great in concept, but the execution leaves me hanging. Perhaps it's just the sound quality; if nothing else I like a few of the Free Form Freakouts. 

Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 10:31
Last 2-3 days

Fela Kuti - Zombie
Brockhampton - Saturation
Pekka Pohjola - Pihkasilmä Kaarnakorva
Pekka Pohjola - Harakka Bialoipokku
Slayer - Show No Mercy
Pagail - C'est Pour les Miens
Radiohead - Kid A (damn I'm starting to love these guys)

"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 13:29
Soichi Terada - Sumo Jungle Grandeur
Chrome - Alien Soundtracks I-II
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 15:04
Was visiting and at hospital today so only managed three albums but what joy!

Peter Hammill - From the Trees
Threshold - Legends of the Shires
Gandalf's Fist - A Day in the Life of a Universal Wanderer
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 20:55

Atom heart is my favourite Pink! Just have listened some of Well, I have been huge Floyd-fan soon almost four decades, but a long time only solo album I`ve listened was Rogers Pros and Cons (not even any Gilmour albums). When Roger released his new one and Gilmour put out Pompeii, I decided to listen all the solos I can get. I think you just waste your time with them, none of them are not even close to the greatness of Pink Floyd albums (quite recently listened a Final Cut after a long time and it sounded much better than I thought, it´s better than any Rog`s solo). If you really want to try some, then listen Roger´s Is This the Life We Really want? If you like what Wright has done on Floyd, then Wet Dream will be your choise too.

I think I read some other chain you like Country music too. I have never been big fan, but Nitty Gritty Dirt Band has been my long time favourite (their Uncle Charlie-album is sooo great!). Just recently I have started listen also Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson.

Okay, thanks; I'll keep that in mind regarding the Floyd solo works. Yeah, country music is another one of my favourites. Can't go wrong with Willie! Have to look more into the Nitty Gritty dirt band, though. I've heard some stuff I like from them, but I've never listened to any full albums.

Today:

Pentacle - La Clef Des Songes
Yolk - Solar
King Crimson - Lizard
Hatfield and the North - Hatfield and the North
Karda Estra - Infernal Spheres
Vespero - Shum-Shir
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2017 at 22:52

Oh cool, where'd you find either album? I haven't found The Big Dentist anywhere myself (although I prefer to buy albums beforehand, so I may just be shooting myself in the foot; there's a good chance it's on Youtube).

I know of The Birthday Party, and I've listened to selections from Prayers on Fire, but I wasn't really all that impressed. As for Red Krayola, I've heard Parable of Arable Land a few times. It's great in concept, but the execution leaves me hanging. Perhaps it's just the sound quality; if nothing else I like a few of the Free Form Freakouts. 
Both Lemon Kittens Album are in youtube. Found there many rare full albums that are not in spotify. I really love Prayers On Fire, but it´s the most produced BP-album. If you find them somewhere, listen their Boys Next Door-stuff, Hee-Haw e.p. and album that is first named just "Boys Next Door" then soon changed "Birthday Party". They´re much rawer than Prayers. About Krayola, they´ve made really many albums. In the end of seventies they released Soldier-Talk which is as great as those postpunk albums same time (Pere Ubus members play into it). Later albums Hazel is really great, although they´ve not made an bad album.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 168169170171172 522>