Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 174175176177178 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 13:23
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

sorry my bad. It's Jukka of course.
Yes I know the Kalevala one as well, but it is actually the singing I least enjoy about that release. Nah I spin that sucker for its raw unhinged energy. Other ones I'm not familiar with, so thanks for the heads up!
Btw do you know Uzva? Finnish woodlands flavoired Canterbury and one of my favourite modern'ish' acts from your native country.
I think the main problem in Harri in that Kalevala album is that he is singing in English. He´s pronouncing is really bad. Originally he made lyrics in Finnish, but that time Wigwam and others were singing in English, so he´s texts was translated into English. He was singing in Apollo too, but in Finnish, so if you got that somewhere, you can check out was it his voice or pronouncing.

I have listened only Tammikuinen Tammela from Uzva, it is good, but I haven´t been as excited about that as some of my friends have been. The other Uzva-albums have been into my "have to listen"-list, I think I will soon. About modern prog acts from Finland I really recommend you Absoluuttinen Nollapiste and specially their Pisara ja Lammas 1 & 2, also band called Risto has made really great album that name is just II.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 13:44
Thanks Martti I really appreciate it. Always looking to expand on my ever growing Scandinavian music collection. I've got some old school Finnish experimental artists in my collection (Sperm, Esa Kotilainen and a few more) as well as a fair few new ones. Newer favourites include Circle - Pharaoh Overlord (If the Navajo decided to cut a psych album during an inspired peyote trance), Siinai - Olympic Games, Tenhi - Maaet, several of Allah's Mailman albums (damned if I can remember their real name but your written language is bewildering to say the least) and of course the wondrous sounds of Astro Can Caravan. There are more but I forget. I blame christmas gravy for my shortcomings.

Oh and I agree. He should've stuck with his native tongue. Trust me we used to have plenty of those heavily accented bands here in Denmark as well. Folks with but a rudimentary understanding of the English lingo trying to pull it off whilst retaining København and all of its vocal charm. This is also why I used to have a big problem with Eloy. Put on album and I was laughing my arse off from the get-to. Nowadays though I simply zoom him out of the mix and listen to the bass.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 14:05
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Last few days (during which my collection of jazz records nearly doubled):

The Upsetters - Super Ape
The Upsetters - War Ina Babylon
Semiramis - Dedicato a Frazz
La Monte Young - The Well-Tuned Piano (not entirely Wink)
Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds
Yusef Lateef - The Three Faces Of
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz
Ornette Coleman - Friends and Neighbors
Philip Glass - Glassworks
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch
Duke Ellignton & John Coltrane - s/t
Lucio Battisti - Anima Latina
Brockhampton - Saturation III
Thelonious Monk - Misterioso
Four Tet - There is Love in You

Oh wow! What a killer list! Love The Upsetters. 
Have you heard Four Tet's latest album, New Energy? I thought it was very, very good. 

Damn that is one kickass list! Kudos Hubert you've got it going on.
Eastern Sounds, Out To Lunch and Mingus' Ah Um are some of my absolute favourite ch-ch-che albums.
Cool to see you spinning some of that ol timey dub from The Upsetters as well. 
Oh and Dedicato a Frazz is da shizzle! Always spin that whenever it's been too long since I last checked in with RPI. This, Lucio's Anima Latina (absolute adore this record! How did you find it?) and Cervello's Melos tend to be my welcome back picks.

I really liked the Upsetters. Reggae is such a soothing and joyous style of music. Stumbled upon them after reading they were one of Tortoise's main influences; I still find this strange. 

I saw Four Tet's New Energy in my YouTube recommendations and was intrigued by the cover but I didn't check it out. I have to admit I'm a bit overwhelmed right now as post-70s electronic music is entirely new to me. I got hooked on Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Burial and Orbital more than on Four Tet so I think New Energy will have to wait a bit.

I'm even more overwhelmed by Jazz at the moment but Charles Mingus is definitely my go-to Jazzman. The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady and Mingus Ah Um are probably my favourite jazz records along with Bitches Brew and Journey in SatchidanandaOut to Lunch was quite interesting to say the least. An obvious influence of Frank Zappa. I'm glad you guys talked about Yusef Lateef not so long ago in this thread. You made me discover (as it so often happens) two masterpieces in their own rights in Eastern Sounds and The Three Faces Of. Jazz with an Oriental flavour, whether African, Indian, Arabic or Asian is always very pleasant to my ears.

I had three Battisti albums sitting around for a while and decided to finally give them a spin after reading your impressions on here. I definitely liked Anima Latina better than Emozioni and Il Nostro Caro Angelo. The instrumental magnificence of Anima Latina was quite a shock after the folk-oriented Emozioni. It's a very special and deeply engaging album and you said it best by writing that it unavoidably brings intense joy or something like that
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 18:55
Van Halen - Balance
Allman Brothers Band - The Complete Fillmore East Recordings: 3/12 Second Show
Amboy Dukes - Tooth, Fang & Claw
Wigwam - Nuclear Nightclub
Hadal Sherpa - Hadal Sherpa
Lard Free - Gilbert Artman's Lard Free
Lard Free - Spirale Malax
King Crimson - Islands
Agusa - Agusa
Vespero - Shum-Shir
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 19:55
The Vision, the Sword and the Pyre part 1

The Ferryman's Curse
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 00:08

Thanks Martti I really appreciate it. Always looking to expand on my ever growing Scandinavian music collection. I've got some old school Finnish experimental artists in my collection (Sperm, Esa Kotilainen and a few more) as well as a fair few new ones. Newer favourites include Circle - Pharaoh Overlord (If the Navajo decided to cut a psych album during an inspired peyote trance), Siinai - Olympic Games, Tenhi - Maaet, several of Allah's Mailman albums (damned if I can remember their real name but your written language is bewildering to say the least) and of course the wondrous sounds of Astro Can Caravan. There are more but I forget. I blame christmas gravy for my shortcomings.

Oh and I agree. He should've stuck with his native tongue. Trust me we used to have plenty of those heavily accented bands here in Denmark as well. Folks with but a rudimentary understanding of the English lingo trying to pull it off whilst retaining København and all of its vocal charm. This is also why I used to have a big problem with Eloy. Put on album and I was laughing my arse off from the get-to. Nowadays though I simply zoom him out of the mix and listen to the bass.
Sperm and Circle are really great! I am big Pekka Airaksinen-fan, collected all his 70ties works (there was released a box about them) also lots of his later stuff. Also have quite many Circle albums, they have put out really many albums quite different styles (really heavy to acoustic and even ambient) but always they sound themselves. These others I am not familiar into. Old Finnish prog I really love also Royals "Out"-album. There are few covers in it (for example Beatles Tomorrow Never Knows) but their own material is really great. It is more guitar based than the other seventies Finnish prog, Albert Järvinen was the greatest guitar hero in Finland!

I have to say I don´t know Danish music at all. Can you recommend me one great Danish artist or band (if possible rather from seventies)?
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 00:12
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Wigwam - Nuclear Nightclub

Don´t know how familiar you are with Wigwam´s albums, but I recommend you more than Nuclear Being and Hard`n`Horny. I really love also those three last albums of the seventies, but the first period of Wigwam has been to me the dearest one. Their last three albums also have great moments, but I don´t think you can even compare them to their 60-70 stuff.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 03:05
Yesterday:
The Dreamies - Auralgraphic Entertainment
Zacht Automaat - Commercial Waste
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 09:13
XTC: White Music
Queen: s/t
Jamie Saft, Steve Swallow, Bobby Previte with Iggy Pop: Loneliness Road
Family: It´s Only a Movie
Uzva: Uoma
Pere Ubu: One Man Drives While the Other Man Screams
Kaleidoscope: White Faced Lady
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 10:47
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Warm Digits - Wireless World (Very "Escape Velocity", I really enjoyed it.)
Música Urbana - Iberia (Cool stuff, Kevin! Man, that bassist is awesome!)
Casiopea - s/t
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions (Thanks for reminding of it, David.)
Yeah I thought of that exact Zombi as well last time I span it. I do feel it has more layers and moods which ultimately makes it a different affair altogether. While Zombi are metallic and cold Warm Digits are exactly that, warm and melodic...and I kinda like hearing the old Krautrock synth palette used in a different lighting tbh.

Stevie is my man. I had no idea he was your's too. That album is so unbelievably good...and it irks me just a teeny tiny bit that all you ever hear from it these days is Living for the City and Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing.
I've always love this one....also in this live rendition (in fact the whole show this tune is taken from is extraordinarily good):

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 11:21
Egg
The Polite Force
The Civil Surface

Matching Mole
Little Red Record
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 11:27
^^ I only heard Innervisions once a while ago, but it came up in a conversation and I thought I should give it another listen. I did watch that concert too though and I'm seeing it again. Amazing performance!

Today:
Petrus Castrus - Marasmo
Asgard - Tradition & Renouveau
Artcane - Odyssee
Locanda delle Fate - Forse le Lucciole Non si Amano Più
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters

See you guys in 2018 ;)
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 12:50
First chance at some real listening since the Christmas season got underway...

Labradford - E Luxo So
Labradford - Fixed::Context
Lightwave - Mundus Subterraneus (so excellent it's creepy)
The Residents - Meet The Residents (haven't enjoyed this one this much in years, phenomenal)
Wolf Eyes - Burned Mind
Ghost - Lama Rabi Rabi
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 15:48
A bit of a live day for me......
A Stone's Throw From the Line - Big Big Train
Yessongs - Yes
A Live Record - Camel
Two for the Show - Kansas
All the World's a Stage - Rush
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 19:31
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Gentle Giant - In a Glass House
Gentle Giant - The Power and The Glory
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
PFM - Per Un Amico
Yes - Close to The Edge

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 20:30
Scrolling through albums off the digital music player. Yesterday, got stuck on albums starting with "Mi...":

Ginger Baker - Middle Passage
Sufjan Stevens - Michigan
Battles - Mirrored
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood

Today, albums starting with "No...":

Sky Architect - Nomad
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 21:08
Buckingham Nicks - s/t
Kool & the Gang - Wild & Peaceful
Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Cluster- Zuckerzeit
Gong - Camembert Electrique
Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Ella and Louis
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 07:14
Yesterday:

Kansas - Leftoverture
Kansas - Song For America
Bubu - Anabelas
Yezda Urfa - Boris
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 08:27
Funkadelic: s/t
Blackfoot: Highway Song Live
Motörhead: Orgasmatron
Jambinai: Diffêrance
Caravan: the Album
Japan: Tin Drum
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 14:29
Low / Dirty Three - In The Fishtank 7
OOIOO - Feather Float
Stereolab - Dots and Loops
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 174175176177178 522>