Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 175176177178179 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 15:51
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Thanks Martti I really appreciate it. Always looking to expand on my ever growing Scandinavian music collection. I've got some old school Finnish experimental artists in my collection (Sperm, Esa Kotilainen and a few more) as well as a fair few new ones. Newer favourites include Circle - Pharaoh Overlord (If the Navajo decided to cut a psych album during an inspired peyote trance), Siinai - Olympic Games, Tenhi - Maaet, several of Allah's Mailman albums (damned if I can remember their real name but your written language is bewildering to say the least) and of course the wondrous sounds of Astro Can Caravan. There are more but I forget. I blame christmas gravy for my shortcomings.

Oh and I agree. He should've stuck with his native tongue. Trust me we used to have plenty of those heavily accented bands here in Denmark as well. Folks with but a rudimentary understanding of the English lingo trying to pull it off whilst retaining København and all of its vocal charm. This is also why I used to have a big problem with Eloy. Put on album and I was laughing my arse off from the get-to. Nowadays though I simply zoom him out of the mix and listen to the bass.
Sperm and Circle are really great! I am big Pekka Airaksinen-fan, collected all his 70ties works (there was released a box about them) also lots of his later stuff. Also have quite many Circle albums, they have put out really many albums quite different styles (really heavy to acoustic and even ambient) but always they sound themselves. These others I am not familiar into. Old Finnish prog I really love also Royals "Out"-album. There are few covers in it (for example Beatles Tomorrow Never Knows) but their own material is really great. It is more guitar based than the other seventies Finnish prog, Albert Järvinen was the greatest guitar hero in Finland!

I have to say I don´t know Danish music at all. Can you recommend me one great Danish artist or band (if possible rather from seventies)?

A few names there that somewhat ring a bell but I'm not entirely sure. I will make a note of them and see if I come across something along the way. More Scandinavian old school music pour moi!!!

You don't have any danish music?? Blasphemy!
Let menregommend you some albums then:
Alrune Rod - Hej Du (hard hitting psychedelically tinged symph with danish vocals)
Secret Oyster - Furtive Pearl (brilliant, complex, warm and melodic jazz rock)
Burnin' Red Ivanhoe - M144 (eclectic early psych prog with loads of wind instruments (same fella that plays sax in Secret Oyster, Karsten Vogel))
Midnight Sun - s/t (Rainbow Band) (Almost sounds like American symph with added Scandinavian psych)
Blast Furnace - s/t (early almost proto sounding prog)
Pan - s/t (ditto)
Culpeper's Orchard - s/t (genuine english vocals with warm psychedelic bluesbased prog)

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 19:44
50 Words for Snow
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 23:39
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

A few names there that somewhat ring a bell but I'm not entirely sure. I will make a note of them and see if I come across something along the way. More Scandinavian old school music pour moi!!!

You don't have any danish music?? Blasphemy!
Let menregommend you some albums then:
Alrune Rod - Hej Du (hard hitting psychedelically tinged symph with danish vocals)
Secret Oyster - Furtive Pearl (brilliant, complex, warm and melodic jazz rock)
Burnin' Red Ivanhoe - M144 (eclectic early psych prog with loads of wind instruments (same fella that plays sax in Secret Oyster, Karsten Vogel))
Midnight Sun - s/t (Rainbow Band) (Almost sounds like American symph with added Scandinavian psych)
Blast Furnace - s/t (early almost proto sounding prog)
Pan - s/t (ditto)
Culpeper's Orchard - s/t (genuine english vocals with warm psychedelic bluesbased prog)

Thanx a lot! When I thought Danish music, only King Diamong and DAD came into my mind. I think I am like too many musiclisteners UK and US based, also naturally knowing much own country´s music. Really going to go to the other countries in the future. I think I will start to Culpeper´s Orchard, that came into me when I started to search Danish music from the internet. And have to say I am artist loyal, so it take me a while to listen those all, because if I like some artist, I want to listen all of their material (there is going now "listen all the Caravan-albums" -project). Also really much want to go back my old favourites every day! I have been very glad I have at the moment really much time to listen music.

And yes, 60-70 music, also Scandinavian rules!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 02:21
Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant
Gentle Giant - Three Friends
Gentle Giant - Free Hand

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 02:33
Yesterday:
Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians
Cluster - II
Sun Araw - The Phynx
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 12:49
Culpeper's Orchard - s/t (really great!)
Hildegard Von Bingen: O Eterne Deus
Blossom Toes: We Are Ever So Clean
Blind Boy Fuller: Get Your Yas Yas Out
Alrune Rod: Hej Du (almost as great as Culpeper´s)
Thinking Fellers Union Local 282: Strangers From the Universe
Dr. Feelgood: On the Job
Sun Ra: Nothing is...

With this music last day of the year has gone very fine way!
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 20:00
Happy new year everyone!

Dixie Dregs - What If
Steve Hillage - Fish Rising
Gentle Giant - Three Friends
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Vespero - Shum-Shir
Nova Collective -  The Further Side
Nau Aletheia - Los Misterios De Eleusis
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 22:28
Camel - Camel
Low - Long Division
The For Carnation - Marshmallows

Here's to a great 2018
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 23:06
Yesterday:

The Moody Blues – In Search of the Lost Chord
Earth and Fire – Song of the Marching Children
Vangelis – Opera Sauvage
Ashra – New Age of Earth
Light Year – Reveal the Fantastic
Ruphus – New Born Day
Carmen – Fandangos in Space
Zombi – Shape Shift
Lonely Robot – The Big Dream (big all-round improvement on the pleasant if occasionally bland debut)

Jack Hertz and Wolfgang Gzell - Sleeping Trees on Earth - R.I.P, Wolfgang, a wonderful ambient/electronic musician who passed away over Christmas. I've always loved this particular album, so it will be even more special with his passing.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 23:55
^ Happy New Year, Michael !!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 04:37
Happy new year everyone!

As far as I'm concerned 2017 was the most miserable year of my life, so I was looking forward to the page flip. Not that I believe anything changes just because some ancient guys once thought it'd be nice to track time...but more because we actually feel the year change up here in Scandinavia. The upcoming weeks will slowly but steadily render more and more of that beautiful white sunlight that we've been without for dog knows how long. Yep a little sunshine makes everything better.

Me today:
Samuel Cadima - Cascata
Delirium - lll
Arbete & Frihet - s/t
Harmonia - Deluxe
10.000 Russos - s/t
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 09:33
the Ventures: the Horse
Alrune Rod: s/t
Os Mutantes: Tudo Foi Feito Pelo Sol
Harry Partch: Delusion Of the Fury
Nektar: Journey To the Centre of the Eye
Bo Diddley: Bo Diddley is a Gunslinger

This is the music of my this years first day. Really also haven´t got a great year 2017. Hope this will be better. This day started a bit bad way, I got terrible flu...gladly one of my friends has given me chaga mushroom, with that and the music day has become better!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 09:34
and yes, Happy new Year to everyone!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 14:58
The Strawbs-Hero and Heroine
Mahler Symphony 4-Antoni Wit conductor
Vivaldi-L'Estro Armonico
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 16:06
Genesis Revisited II

Grimspound
The Second Brightest Star

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 16:31
Greg Graffin - Millport
Eagles - Eagles
Marshall Tucker Band - A New Life
Harmonium - Si On Avait Besoin d'Une Cinquieme Saison
Harmonium - l'Heptade
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 16:44
^
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 10:53
Gong: Radio Gnome Invisible part 2: Angel`s Egg
Atomic Rooster: In Hearing Of
Laura Nyro: Nested
the Guess Who: American Woman
Pere Ubu: the Shape Of Things
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 13:27
Best way to start 2018 - in bed with a cold. LOL
Today:
Bark Psychosis - Hex
Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
Philip Glass - Koyaanisqatsi
James Ferraro - Skid Row
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 14:15
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us BAck
Hoahio - Ohayo! Hoahio!
Gary Burton - A Genuine Tong Funeral
Musica Eletronica Viva - Friday
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 175176177178179 522>