Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 203204205206207 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 14:38
Ommadawn/Return to Ommadawn - Mike Oldfield
Sanctuary/Sanctuary II - Robert Reed (the apprentice does a quality homage to the master IMHO)
Subterranea - IQ
Dunes (The River Flows Anthology - Disc 4) - Iona (the 'Snowdonia' suite is quality atmospheric Celtic prog!)
Delusion Rain - Mystery
Template for a Generation - Darwin's Radio

Edited by Squonk19 - March 10 2018 at 14:42
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 20:34
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play: Believe it or not, this is the first time I have ever heard this. Not sure what to say; I'm more of a Benefit and Stand Up guy. Yeah man, I'm a stand up guy.

Renaissance - Prologue: Dealing with the flu, I played this for the first time in years. Still awesome. I discover something new every time (in this case, the cool electric guitar noodling during Bound for Infinity). I need to play this more often, especially when ailing.

Mika Nakashima - No More Rules: One of the only Jpop queens whose entire discography is available on Spotify, I've been binging during recovery. This compilation stuck out for being almost flawless. Jazz rock and pop glory. Damn that chorus during the ska meets bubblegum rock of "Confusion" really hit that sweet spot. Hell, I even enjoy writing the name Mika Nakashima almost as much as saying Mika Nakashima.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 21:12
Leonard Cohen - Songs from Leonard Cohen
Michael Hurley - Armchair Boogie
Michael Hurley - Have Moicy!
Tortoise - The Brave and the Bold
Yo la Tengo - There's a Riot Going On
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 22:52
A day of listening to rival all other days of listening...

Igor Stravinsky - The Firebird
Art Zoyd - Musique Pour l'Odyssée
Henry Cow - Western Culture
Kansas - Song For America
Joe Satriani - The Extremist
Greg Graffin - Millport
Harmonium - Harmonium
Harmonium - Si On Avait Besoin d'Une Cinquième Saison
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
Yes - Close To The Edge
Mike Oldfield - Incantations
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2018 at 23:21
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Jethro Tull - A Passion Play: Believe it or not, this is the first time I have ever heard this. Not sure what to say; I'm more of a Benefit and Stand Up guy. Yeah man, I'm a stand up guy.
I took me a years a get into a Passion play. I think it ´s one of their darkest album. I was really disappointed to a Passion Play at first. I was before that listened Stormwatch, Thick as a Brick, Benefit, Warchild, Stand Up & This Was and had really loved them all, so naturally I had really big expectations also to a Passion Play. Also I think one reason was poor sound quality of eighties repress, now I have original that sounds much better. But if you love Thick as a Brick, I think you will start to love a Passion Play with a many listenings.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 03:57
Yesterday:
Galactic Explorers - Epitath for Venus
Oneohtrix Point Never - A Pact Between Strangers
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 09:43
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I took me a years a get into a Passion play. I think it ´s one of their darkest album. I was really disappointed to a Passion Play at first. I was before that listened Stormwatch, Thick as a Brick, Benefit, Warchild, Stand Up & This Was and had really loved them all, so naturally I had really big expectations also to a Passion Play. Also I think one reason was poor sound quality of eighties repress, now I have original that sounds much better. But if you love Thick as a Brick, I think you will start to love a Passion Play with a many listenings.

Yeah APP is going to be a tough nut to crack; the narrative bits really threw me. It IS interesting though. Thing is, unlike a lot of prog bands, up through 1971 JT had this string of great FM rock songs, which is kind of how I naively associated the band.

To be honest, growing up I never really regarded JT as a "prog" band per-se...I had considered them more in line with bands like Led Zep and The Who rather than Yes and ELP...so checking out some of their more epic stuff thanks to this site had been kind of an eye-opener.

I'll be spinning APP in the future though.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 11:40
Yesterday:

Strawbs - Hero and Heroine
Carmen - Fandangos in Space / Dancing on a Cold Wind
Catherine Wheel - Ferment
Judas Priest - Firepower
Elephant9 - Greatest Show on Earth
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 11:59
Ten Years After: Positive Vibrations
Pussy Galore: Groovy Hate f**k (Feel Good About Your Body)
Faust: C´est Com...Com...Complique
Whitesnake: Lovehunter
Fairport Convention: Full House
Magma: Köhntarkösz
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 15:38
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Yesterday:

Strawbs - Hero and Heroine
Carmen - Fandangos in Space / Dancing on a Cold Wind
Catherine Wheel - Ferment
Judas Priest - Firepower
Elephant9 - Greatest Show on Earth
i’ve heard some very high praise for that new Priest album. Looking forward to hearing it.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 15:42
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Yeah APP is going to be a tough nut to crack; the narrative bits really threw me. It IS interesting though. Thing is, unlike a lot of prog bands, up through 1971 JT had this string of great FM rock songs, which is kind of how I naively associated the band.

To be honest, growing up I never really regarded JT as a "prog" band per-se...I had considered them more in line with bands like Led Zep and The Who rather than Yes and ELP...so checking out some of their more epic stuff thanks to this site had been kind of an eye-opener.

I'll be spinning APP in the future though.
I think APP is their finest album, at least in a prog context. But I originally thought of them more of a classic rock band too.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 16:01
Legends of the Shires - Threshold
In Rock - Deep Purple
The Raven That Refused to Sing - Steven Wilson
Against the Grain - Rory Gallagher
Blues of Desperation - Joe Bonamassa
Solid Air - John Martyn
Greatest Hits - Nazareth
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 16:33
Yes - Close to The Edge
Yes - Relayer
PFM - Per Un Amico

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 17:48
Argus, The Snow Goose, Folklore and Lovers End (not all of it, just part 3 - Skelleftea Serenade). And I watched Lazuli on youtube a lot.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2018 at 22:41
Tasvallan Presidentti - Tasvallan Presidentti II
Asgard - In The Realm of Asgard
Gong - Angel's Egg
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 03:27
This weekend:
Jonas Munk & Ulrich Schnauss - Passage
Calibro 35 - Traditori di Tutti
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 11:11
Yesterday:
Syrinx - Long Lost Relatives
Syrinx - Syrinx
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 13:54
Strawberry Alarm Clock: Incense and Peppermints
Alan Walks: the Dragonfly Sessions
Lee Ranaldo: Ambient Loop For Vancouver
Camel: s/t
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 17:05
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Yesterday:
Syrinx - Long Lost Relatives
Syrinx - Syrinx
Amazing stuff!

-Kehlog Albran
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2018 at 17:33
XTC- Black Sea & English settlement
Dukes of Stratosphere- 25 O Clock
Hawkwind- Hall of the Mountain Grill & Warrior on the edge of time
Yardbirds- Roger the engineer 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 203204205206207 522>