Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 257258259260261 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 22:06
Jandek | Chicago Wednesday
Bebetune$ | Inhale C-4 (James Ferraro)
Grateful Dead | One From the Vault
The Voidz | Virtue
Volcano the Bear | Commencing (excerpts)
Guerilla Toss | Twisted Crystal
Amen Dunes | Through Monkey Jaw
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 08:55
I just finished a three-day binge on the latest in girl-group Korean pop albums. Thanks to Spotify, I could navigate to similar "artists" without having to do any research. This was a good thing to do since I was losing appreciation for prog music, after three days of girly Kpop, I'm ready for some serious symph-neo-epic-w**ky-retro-prog fests.

Here was the journey:

Oh My Girl - Remember Me: With a group name like that, I really wanted to like them. Seeing them at an airport “OH MY GOD IT’S OH MY GIRL!” Angelic sweet vocals over rather generic though melodic electropop. Very typical modern Kpop, as I learned.

Gugudan – Act.4 Cait Sith: This sounds exactly like Oh My Girl, right down to the same sweetie-pie vocals. They could play each other’s gigs and no one would notice.

Lovelyz – Fall in Lovelyz: There’s a bit of sophistication in a strange way, like marshmellow 70’s soft hits sent through a dancy-Kpop grinder. Same angelic harmonizing vocals. Maybe it’s all just one girl via multiple tracks for all of these groups. She must be rich.

Mamamoo – Red Moon: This is different. They sound like sassy women who can really sing, and there’s a rapper girl who’s pretty entertaining. Sounds like decent tropical music for beach resorts. Maybe I’ll keep this, since I can’t always be blasting Magma at poolside cookouts.

Loona 1/3 – Love & Evil: Now we’re talking, symphonic Kpop! The first two songs are actually really well composed with good musicianship. In wasn’t expecting this. It settles into generic mode for a bit but gets jazzy later on. Good lord I actually think this has potential.

Loona Odd Eye Circle – Max & Match: Some junk, but some mega earworms too. Then there’s “Loonatic”. Best song I’ve heard so far, very atmospheric and spacey, almost shoegazy. These Loona clans are interesting.

Loona YYXY – Beauty & the Beat: The first song was written and produced by Grimes, but the last song is where it’s at. Highly unusual chord sequences for pop music.

Loona – [++]: Strange album name. This must be the Loona mothership since there’s a slew of young women on the cover instead of just 3 or 4. Oddly enough, this is probably less intersting and more generic than the smaller clans.

Fromis 9 – To.Day: Kpop is treated by many of its fans like a sport, obssessing over one group while hating all similar groups like they’re rivals. To be that stupid in life...

Anyways, this group has a bit of a disadvantage with that group name. Try saying Fromis 9 out loud and not sound dumb.

Elris – Summer Dream: Not to be outdone by Fromis 9 in the crap name department, there’s this girl gang. Still, there’s potential for great moments:

Me: “Screw this noise, I wanna listen to some Elris!”

Old-timer Friend: “Yep, good classic...hey wait, what the F#%K did you just say?!”

Too bad it’s more generic Oh My Girl worship, same with Fromis 9.

Red Velvet – Summer Magic: If I was forced to be an idiot and choose one Kpop group to “stan”, I’d probably settle for this team, since the music here is a bit off-kilter and weird but insanely catchy and inventive. Like Willy-Wonka’s factory in music form. The girls are a little more brassy than the usual innocent angels thing.

WJSN – WJ Please?: At this point, with so many names taken, why bother with words...just throw some letters together! The difference between “WouJahSuN” and Oh My Girl is that this group has a serious rapper girl popping up all the time. Like a little sister, bratty and annoying.

Dreamcatcher – Alone in the City: This was interesting, as there’s some serious rock in a couple of these songs, and more attitude (they don’t sound like virgin fairies). I stopped here since this was pretty good and why not end on something decent...

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 19:42
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

after three days of girly Kpop, I'm ready for some serious symph-neo-epic-w**ky-retro-prog fests.

lol

Sounds like fun, maybe I'll try that last one you mentioned.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 19:42
Supertramp - Brother Where You Bound
BOC - Club Ninja
the Beths - Future Me Hates Me (punchy New Zealand pop...great debut)
BOC - Tyranny and Mutation
Yes - Yes Album
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 20:42
Yeah it was more fun than expected, but a lot of dreck to surf through. Dreamcatcher, as I learned, have earlier releases with even more rock blending into the kpop deal, resulting in some unusual music.

For the record, Tyranny and Mutation is one of the greatest rock albums I've ever heard. I skip NOTHING.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 21:16
Yeah, sure beat Club Ninja!  lol  I was pretty partied up when I spun the Tyranny...lotsa fun! 

I've really come to appreciate their whole catalog up through Revolution by Night.  Everyone has their favorite, but I think they all have their charms.  Diverse, colorful albums with lots of surprises. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 07:12
Julian Casablancas + the Voidz | Tyranny
Family | A Song for Me
Midnight Oil | Blue Sky Mining
White Suns | Totem
The Voidz | Virtue (maybe my fav album of the year so far)
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 07:24
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Yeah, sure beat Club Ninja!  lol  I was pretty partied up when I spun the Tyranny...lotsa fun! 

I've really come to appreciate their whole catalog up through Revolution by Night.  Everyone has their favorite, but I think they all have their charms.  Diverse, colorful albums with lots of surprises. 
That reminds me, I need to give Mirrors some spins. Outside of "The Vigil", which is one of their best ever, I wasn't into it back in the day. Now, if I take it from the perspective of what Jefferson Starship were doing at the time, I bet I can get into it. I do remember D. Roeser's solos being superb, and besides, if I can kick back with Dreamcatcher's brand of "Kpop meets AOR", I'm thinking my music taste has gotten so vast that I can enjoy Mirrors for what it is, and not compare it to their old stuff, or even their next couple of albums. Mirrors is its own thing.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 08:32
That so great to hear you say, Dave.  You're talking to a guy who loves the middle period for what it is -- a changeup.  It's' so funny how many "BOC fans" feel the need to rail against the middle period simply because they didn't remake their first three albums forever.  Maybe they didn't feel the need to make the same albums ten times in a row, and thank goodness for that. 

The middle period shows a band injecting some real playfulness and attempt at expanding their sound.  Certainly not every song is gonna be a homer when you do that, but there are lots of fun songs there once a fan simply gets over the fact that they are not attempting to replicate the holy 3.  And in fact, if a fan has an appreciation of heavier pop as well as hard rock, the middle to late period works are thoroughly enjoyable  "car CDs" on their own strength.  I've come to really appreciate everything through Revolution.  Ninja is a little harder to include with what came before. I sort of think of the classic band's prime period as ending with Rev despite a few cool things that happened later.
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 10:38
Kraan Andy Nogger
Kraan Live (70s)
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 18:30
Been enjoying the BOC discussion, I have enjoyed most of their stuff up through 83' (though different but still was interesting) however had not heard anything after that until I picked up Club Ninja CD at a record show a few months ago.  I was somewhat disappointed with that effort.

How is the BOC stuff after Ninja?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 21:54
Hi Jim!  Of the last 3 titles, I'm most familiar with Heaven Forbid...which I enjoyed.  Different, but heavy and catchy.  "Imaginos" is one that people  feel is a return to the old form, but I've not yet bonded with that one.  Played it a couple times, but it just didn't connect.  I think I just need  more spins.

So far, Curse of the Hidden Mirror has not grabbed me like Heaven Forbid.

Edited by Finnforest - September 22 2018 at 22:14
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 04:06
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Bebetune$ | Inhale C-4 (James Ferraro)

The one I often put on during parties. Cool

Yesterday:

JPEGMAFIA - Veteran
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
NAH - Michael
NAH - Garbage Crap
Death Grips - Interview 2016
Zacht Automaat - Memory of the World
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 07:38
Yesterday:
Neuschwanstein - Battlement (finest Genesis album not by Genesis (together with Babylon's debut of course!))
Lou Reed - Berlin
Phideaux - Chupacapras (personal fave of mine - especially the epic titletrack)
The Stooges - Fun House
Norman Connors - Dance Of Magic
Dzyan - Time Machine (Wow! Holy mother of ford this album really hit me hard last night! Incredibly beautiful recording that renders the wooden character of acoustic drums in a way that had me reaching for the rims to join in the jam at some point. Somewhere between Stomu Yamashtas debut Red Buddha and something more jazzy and esoteric. Let's call it Eastern Krautjazz! Maybe something a little more catchy? How about Lars-Petunia? )
Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
Sun Ra - Space Is The Place (Oh yeah!)
Tusmørke - Fjernsyn I Farver
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 09:20

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Hi Jim!  Of the last 3 titles, I'm most familiar with Heaven Forbid...which I enjoyed.  Different, but heavy and catchy.  "Imaginos" is one that people  feel is a return to the old form, but I've not yet bonded with that one.  Played it a couple times, but it just didn't connect.  I think I just need  more spins.

So far, Curse of the Hidden Mirror has not grabbed me like Heaven Forbid.

Hey Jim!  Thanks for the insight.  It seems Heaven Forbid is available but a bit pricey on the usual online places, curious if it is out of print at the moment.  I guess I will go in chronological order after Ninja and try out Imaginos first.

Albums yesterday:
King Crimson - 3 of a Perfect Pair
Wishbone Ash - Argus

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 14:12
Sure thing....you could listen to Heaven Forbid on YouTube just to sample.  They have the full album.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 15:23
I think BOC did never release a truly bad album, though  - like everyone else - they had their stronger and their weaker moments. Though both Mirrors and Club Ninja get a bad rap, they do feature some great songs - namely "The Great Sun Jester" and "The Vigil" for the former, and "When the War Comes", "Shadow Warrior" and "Madness to the Method" for the latter ("Perfect Water" is also not bad at all). Obviously, neither can be compared to monsters such as Tyranny and Mutation or Secret Treaties, but they provide a lot of listening pleasure - at least as far as I am concerned. Their last two studio albums, Heaven Forbid, also have their moments, though - to be perfectly honest - I find Heaven Forbid a bit samey. On the other hand, my favourite song on Curse of the Hidden Mirror, "The Old Gods Return", is almost as good as their older material IMHO.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 03:23
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Dzyan - Time Machine (Wow! Holy mother of ford this album really hit me hard last night! Incredibly beautiful recording that renders the wooden character of acoustic drums in a way that had me reaching for the rims to join in the jam at some point. Somewhere between Stomu Yamashtas debut Red Buddha and something more jazzy and esoteric. Let's call it Eastern Krautjazz! Maybe something a little more catchy? How about Lars-Petunia?  )
It's been a while since I played it, maybe I should Big smile

This weekend:
Causa Sui - Return to Sky
Forma - Physicalist
Dungen - Allas Sak
Bruno Pernadas - Worst Summer Ever
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 06:08
Last few days:

Kayak – See See the Sun
The Doors – s/t
Led Zeppelin – II
Camel – I Can See Your House From Here
Neu! – s/t
Spock’s Beard – The Oblivion Particle
Lunatic Soul - Fractured
Oresund Space Collective – Live in Berlin 2018
Ash Ra Tempel – Join Inn
Atomic Rooster – s/t
Cellar Noise – Alight
Barock Project - Detachment
P.F.M – Per un Amico
Celeste – Principe do un Giorno
La Consienza di Zeno -
Tangerine Dream – Alpha Centauri
Tangerine Dream - Zeit
Neu! – Neu!
Neu! – Neu75
Ash Ra Tempel – s/t
Harmonia – Deluxe
Cluster – II
Cluster – Zuckerzeit
Cluster – Konzerte 72/77
Faust – s/t
La Dusseldorf – s/t
Heldon – Electronic Guerilla
Nekropolis – Musik aus em Schatt...
Embryo – Father, Son and Holy Ghost
The Doors – s/t
Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here
Quarteto 1111 – Onde, Quando, Como...
Air – Pocket Symphony
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 07:42
Dreamcatcher - Alone in the City (that was different...grazie Dave)
Supertramp - Live in Paris 1979
Over the Rhine - Drunkard's Prayer

Nice list, Michael!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 257258259260261 522>