Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 262263264265266 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 07:09
Sam....oofta, I'm sorry, my friend. Lost mine too, this summer. It's kinda why I've been hanging around these parts more often. I just needed some occasional distraction and music banter to push my thoughts away from sorrow. I'm all for direct grief; I don't believe in running from it via distractions. Yet sometimes, one does need a break. But I can't imagine having lost her while in my 20s. I am happy to hear you have other family close by you. Time is so short.  As to your list, Visitor 35....yes!   And Yessongs was a serious gateway album for me. I can remember how psyched I was when I bought the vinyl all those years ago.  I remember that I opened the album and started checking out the inside art before I even left the shopping mall.

David - Blackdance!  Aktuala is one I've rarely looked into. I need to try that again sometime. 
enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 12:58
Adult Cinema - This is your Life

Brilliant stuff, what I imagine lightbulb sun era porcupine tree would be like with Rick Wright assisting on some vocals

Edited by enigma - October 10 2018 at 13:06
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 13:45
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

All in all the supertramp recordings are on another level. I don't know what peter henderson did but those albums are out of this world sounding . some of the most dynamic in prog rock that i have heard. 

Yes, indeed!  Now I wanna hear some!

Careful .really addictive. My god it is fun, especially on headphones . lots of their songs have a light hearted feel to them, but the level of fidelity they carry makes them quite serious. A great headphone listen .Really immersive. Enjoy my friend. Smile
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 13:46
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

All in all the supertramp recordings are on another level. I don't know what peter henderson did but those albums are out of this world sounding . some of the most dynamic in prog rock that i have heard. 

Yes, indeed!  Now I wanna hear some!
Love those Supertramp albums.

Do it. Just do it. Clap
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 17:03
Blue Oyster Cult - s/t
Frusciante/Klinghoffer - Sphere in the Heart of Silence
Soft Machine - Softs
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 02:43
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Funny how that goes, I too had problems with Incantations the first coulple of times I span it. I think I was approaching it expecting another Tubular Bells akd found something completely different. It was my second Oldfield album so I was basically none the wiser. I bought it solely because of Moerlen's involvement and was pretty disappointed as I recall. Nowadays it's easily my fave of his and I have come to adore the somewhat lethargic and shuffling tempo of it. Rather reminds me of the motorik groove found in a lot of Krautrock.

Me yesterday:
Samuel Cadima - Unreleased stuff (I am writing you tonight my friend. Safe to say that you've made yet another u-turn and this dane appreciates it!)
Air - 10000 Hz Legend (I can't seem to stop this album from playing)
Dungen - Tio Bitar
I first heard his discography in order and still didn't understand the album LOL I just have a problem with the repetitive singing at the end of part two. It's a shame, what comes before it is wonderful.

Ah, that title sounds like a collection of outakes, which I don't have Tongue Quite shocking, right? I'm sure that part will expel me from Progressive Electronic LOL

I only heard Moon Safari, do you recommend this one?

How's uncle Bitar doing? Big smile I came across a copy of it I didn't know if it's good.

Yesterday:
Tacita Intesa - Faro
Torga Ostera - Queda Ascendente
Saga - Homo Sapiens
Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 02:48

Sam....oofta, I'm sorry, my friend. Lost mine too, this summer. It's kinda why I've been hanging around these parts more often. I just needed some occasional distraction and music banter to push my thoughts away from sorrow. I'm all for direct grief; I don't believe in running from it via distractions. Yet sometimes, one does need a break. But I can't imagine having lost her while in my 20s. I am happy to hear you have other family close by you. Time is so short.  As to your list, Visitor 35....yes!   And Yessongs was a serious gateway album for me. I can remember how psyched I was when I bought the vinyl all those years ago.  I remember that I opened the album and started checking out the inside art before I even left the shopping mall.
I'm sorry to hear that. I figure it's never easy, no matter the age Ouch I don't know if I'd call it a distration, but pouring my grief into music helped me a lot.

Yeah, I like to return to that Visitor album once in a while, it's always very pleasant.

That wouldn't surprise me, it's such a beatiful vinyl, I never get tired of looking at the inner gatefolds.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 02:51
Oh yeah baby! Blackdance
Not that that mlkes any sort of sense really. I rarely come across folks who find interest or indeed attach cool accolades to something like old school berliner schule. The last track though could perhaps entice the more experimental mindes youngins out there with its operatic vocals and slog oozing grandeur. Who knows these days?

Aktuala is really something....if you’re into acoustic music. I adore how they seem to utilise all kinds of endelig instruments from all over and then conjure up this mystical folk music that encompasses most of the world genre-wise.

Me yesterday:
Steven Wilson - Insurgents
Cervello - Melos
Genesis - Nursery Cryme
Calibro 35 - S.P.A.C.E.
Air - 10000 Hz Legend
Popol Vuh - Affenstunde
Lindstrøm & Prins Thomas - ll (danceable electronic with a Krautrock twist)
Rahmann - s/t

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 11 2018 at 02:52
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 02:59
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Funny how that goes, I too had problems with Incantations the first coulple of times I span it. I think I was approaching it expecting another Tubular Bells akd found something completely different. It was my second Oldfield album so I was basically none the wiser. I bought it solely because of Moerlen's involvement and was pretty disappointed as I recall. Nowadays it's easily my fave of his and I have come to adore the somewhat lethargic and shuffling tempo of it. Rather reminds me of the motorik groove found in a lot of Krautrock.

Me yesterday:
Samuel Cadima - Unreleased stuff (I am writing you tonight my friend. Safe to say that you've made yet another u-turn and this dane appreciates it!)
Air - 10000 Hz Legend (I can't seem to stop this album from playing)
Dungen - Tio Bitar
I first heard his discography in order and still didn't understand the album LOL I just have a problem with the repetitive singing at the end of part two. It's a shame, what comes before it is wonderful.

Ah, that title sounds like a collection of outakes, which I don't have Tongue Quite shocking, right? I'm sure that part will expel me from Progressive Electronic LOL

I only heard Moon Safari, do you recommend this one?

How's uncle Bitar doing? Big smile I came across a copy of it I didn't know if it's good.

Yesterday:
Tacita Intesa - Faro
Torga Ostera - Queda Ascendente
Saga - Homo Sapiens
Supertramp - Crime of the Century

I thoroughly recommend 10000 Hz Legend if you dig Moon Safari. I love the latter but 10000 Hz Legend is so much more interesting musically to me with more experimental bits, more instruments and a brilliant usage of contemporary electronics that occasionaly mimic the ol Berliner cats.

Tio Bitar is one of their best if you love 4. Definitely worth a spin if you like Dungen’s early summermorning fusionesque qualities.

Yup those outtakes are really something....most likely made by a mad man
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 03:46
^ I'm liking what I hear, I already heard "How Does It..." on the radio before.

Never heard 4 either Embarrassed I only have their latest two, and I absolutely adore Allas Sak Approve I really should discover more of their music.

I've been learning more crazy tricks on my MS-20 Big smile
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 07:07
I saw Dungen live during the Tio Bitar era (great album). They were amazing and knew how to just jam out at times. I didn't realize how well the singer could wail on the flute before the show. 

Voivod - Phobos: 1rst listen. As a longtime fan who's seen them a few times, I never listened to their post-Outer Limits / pre-Target Earth stuff until now. This album is a case of "missing out" since it's weirdly cool and dark. Kind of industrial without being "industrial". 

Mostly Autumn - Sight of Day: So much potential to floor me, but there's always something that corns it all up. The opener is a beauty until that point where the buttrock drums kick in. "Only the Brave" would be great heavy folk rock, but those Manowar-style lyrics... Always something. Olivia's got a great voice though.

Beyond Creation - Earthborn Evolution: That album cover carries me away...so cool. Otherwise, competent- tech-death with some jazzy passages. The low growl/high scream duel approach offers variety, but the high voice annoys me. Kind of -core in a way, like a bratty kid having a massive tantrum.

The Moody Blues - To Our Children's Children's Children: Haven't played this in so long that during the first minute I thought I put on some Deathspell Omega thing by mistake. This was such a great listen, I think I love it now more than back in the day. I really like the way this album flows. 

enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 14:24
Animals
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 15:47
Sam...no, I wouldn't call your art, or a job, etc, a distraction. These are the things we have to do to move on with life. I'm only saying that grieving is necessary and important if one is to truly move on. I won't get into it here though...not for this thread. 

David...you've got me intrigued now re Aktuala.

Dave...haven't heard the term buttrock for a while. Thanks for the chuckle.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 20:51
The Eels - Blinking Lights and Other Revelations
Mellonta Tauta - same

I think I finally "get" Eels or more accurately, I think I finally appreciate this sprawling double album. It has barely dodged the "sell pile" many times as I played it every so often and was often underwhelmed. I guess it was me and not them. Really enjoyed it this time. We change and music can affect us differently over time.

Mellonta is a perfectly pleasurable if far from essential little Mellow Records release, an Italian project so enamored by Genesis that they include a Hackett song and two live Genesis covers.  I enjoyed it, but you really have to love second-tier combo symphonic/neo-prog tendencies with less than orgasmic sound quality. But if you want to throw on that way-too-small Duke tour shirt and dance around the basement, have at it. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 21:52
James Ferraro | Jarvid 9: Gecko
The Knife | Deep Cuts
The Dead C | Clyma est Mort
Hair Police | Drawn Dead
Earth & Fire | Singles (a comp I made)
WaMu | Viaf**kt
R. Stevie Moore | Everything You Always Wanted to Know About RSM But Were Afraid to Ask (2 CD comp)
Royal Trux | Twin Infinitives
Modern English | After the Snow

Jim, I have that Eels album too. Heavy stuff. Feel like it still hasn’t hit me fully.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 02:08
How is that The Knife album Steve? I only have Shaking the Habitual which I love.

Yesterday was all old school

Alrune Rod - Hej Du
Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation
Embryo - Father, Son & The Holy Ghost
Magma - 1001 Centigrades
Gong - Camembert Electrique
Tim Buckley - Happy Sad
The Pretty Things - Parachute
Tonton Macoute - s/t
Steamhammer - Mountains
Il Volo - s/t

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 12 2018 at 02:25

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 09:04
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Jim, I have that Eels album too. Heavy stuff. Feel like it still hasn’t hit me fully.

Yup.  I have one or two others I'll have to try again too.  I like the little dreamy parts that come along every so often to soften up the song songs.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 10:53

Sam...no, I wouldn't call your art, or a job, etc, a distraction. These are the things we have to do to move on with life. I'm only saying that grieving is necessary and important if one is to truly move on. I won't get into it here though...not for this thread. 

You're right, let's play some uplifting music instead Smile

Air - 10000 Hz Legend
Casiopea 3rd - A-SO-BO
Taeko Ohnuki - Sunshower
Malady - Toinen Toista
Gong - Shamal

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 12:46
I've only heard Shamal of those, but it was really cool. 
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 15:59
Still binging on the Moodies.

In Search of the Lost Chord - WOW, that chorus during "The Actor". I played this for my wife who never heard it before and she was swooning. Hell, I was swooning! Justin is BOSS. "Legend of a Mind" is such a trip, Ray gettin' down with his flute...

On the Threshold of a Dream - I swear, when Pinder busts in with "Talk to me baby...I want to sleep at night" at the start of "So Deep Within You", he sounds like a cross between Ian Anderson and Frank Zappa. The tone, inflection, something. He's such a pimp. The song title fits as well.

A Question of Balance - Here's another album I appreciate more now than during my younger days. Not as much drugs, but still weird enough not to hit AM Gold level. I forgot about "It's Up to You", that's a pretty good rocker right there.

Seventh Sojourn - I was never huge on this album, but Pinder's "Lost in a Lost World" is such a dreamy yet tense opener. With things the way they are in this world these days, I'm really feeling the lyrics too. Great song. "For My Lady" is one of those twee songs I shouldn't like, but I do anyways. Fight me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 262263264265266 522>