Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 264265266267268 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 00:48
Heh, `Desert Places' is especially a knockout to me, mate, but, oh yeah, that band name... Even worse that they called their live album `Whale-Come'!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 00:53
Maybe they WERE being intentionally funny though?
I very much doubt it looking at other European acts from around the same time with similar horrific English skills.
Some bands should most definitely stick to their native tongue.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 02:17
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Yesterday

Cervello - Melos (just one of the finest RPI albums per my tastes)
Ain't that the truth? This and Palepoli are likely two of my favorite RPI albums.

Last few days:

Connan Mockasin - Jassbusters
Sully - Blue
ADR - Deceptionista
The Beach Boys - Sunflower
DJ Paypal - Buy Now

Edited by ALotOfBottle - October 17 2018 at 02:19
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 02:58
Can - Future Days
Bit - Bit
FFS - FFS
Kikagaku Moyo - Masana Temples
Mildlife - Phase
Cervello - Melos
Finch - Beyond Expression
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 04:58
Nice selection there Samuel
How do you feel about Melos btw?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 13:26
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Yesterday

Ain't that the truth? This and Palepoli are likely two of my favorite RPI albums.

Last few days:

Sully - Blue
ADR - Deceptionista
DJ Paypal - Buy Now

Hi Tymon!
Palepoli is outrageously awesome as well. There are a few mad monsters like that inside RPI. They do not sound the same..nonono but they have this incredible fire and mad energy running through the albums often with wild reeds and broomcupboard production...yet the latter doesn't matter to me and only adds a brute and charming force to the music. A certain warmth if you will.
Do you know Rocky's Filj? Their Storie di Uomini E Non is a real humdinger of an album. Methinks you likey.

- Douglas Adams
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 18:47
Can - Future Days: I have a weird relationship with this album. Every time I think "OK I'm about done with this," the whole band suddenly clicks with this irresistible groove that floors me. After awhile it happens again...and again.

Aborted - Terrorvision: This ain't your grandma's death metal. Kind of brutal, though pretty technical and polished. Not sure how I feel about the growls. I almost want to buy this just for that album cover. What ARE those big dudes?

The Dark Red Seed - Becomes Awake: I don't know what kind of music this is. It IS some form of rock-based music, including saxophones and other instruments outside of the usual guitar, bass & drums, but I don't know to say about this except that it's strange.

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail: I tried this again, but I think I'm done. It's not bad, just not for me I guess. It's weird in that I do like some of W&W a lot.

The Moody Blues - Go Now: Just the song actually. So it was a hit in the mid-sixties, but honestly I think this is the first time I've heard it. Talk about a tonal shift within a couple of years to DOFP! 

Wings - Red Rose Speedway: This album cracks me up. So many weird tunes outside of the soft-rock smash hit, and some major Beatles-longing. "Little Lamb Butterfly" sounds like a "twee & drugs" rehash of "Hey Jude" and the "Medley" seems like a shorter tribute to Abbey Road's latter slab, but much more cornball.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 21:32

Yesterday

Last few days:

Sully - Blue
ADR - Deceptionista
DJ Paypal - Buy Now

can’t wait to hear the new Connan Mockasin. I’ve heard very little about it but I’ll be buying it soon.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 02:14

Nice selection there Samuel
How do you feel about Melos btw?
I feel I should really get a copy of it Tongue There's too much happening for a background listen.

Yesterday:
Diabo na Cruz - Lebre
Sugar Babe - Songs
Snarky Puppy - We Like It Here
Hiromi - Spark
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
Nad Sylvan - The Bride Said No
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 08:59

Yesterday

Last few days:

Sully - Blue
ADR - Deceptionista
DJ Paypal - Buy Now

Hi Tymon!
Palepoli is outrageously awesome as well. There are a few mad monsters like that inside RPI. They do not sound the same..nonono but they have this incredible fire and mad energy running through the albums often with wild reeds and broomcupboard production...yet the latter doesn't matter to me and only adds a brute and charming force to the music. A certain warmth if you will.
Do you know Rocky's Filj? Their Storie di Uomini E Non is a real humdinger of an album. Methinks you likey.

Inspired by this post, I have always debated in my brain which of the these RPI classics I liked better, Melos or Palepoli.  Since I had not heard either of these on my Hifiman headphones, I took the plunge last night.
I listened to them both back to back, Melos 1rst then Palepoli and wow!  It is so close, albeit somewhat different styles, but both full of raw energy.  I "think" I finally leaned towards Melos (this week).

Last night:
Cervello - Melos
Osanna - Palepoli
IQ - Ever

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 17:42
Eels - Daisies of the Galaxy (I prefer Blinking Lights)
Yessongs (never gets old, esp the guy who yells out "All Right!!!" during the quiet spot in the bass solo)
British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 20:51
The Residents | God in Three Persons
Minutemen | Ballot Result
AMM | The Crypt, 12 June 1968
AMM | Tunes Without Measure or End
The Dead C | Clyma Est Mort
Slugbug | Truck Month
Connan Mockasin | Jassbusters

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 02:41
Gösta Berlings Saga - ET EX
Orphaned Land - Unsung Prophets and Dead Messiahs
Jaga Jazzist - One-Armed Bandit
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 03:28
Nice to see Melos getting some love in here. I really love that album. The oddly melodic and nasally charged vocals are a real treat to this dane.
Never heard of those AMM albums Steve...only the cult classic AMMMusic.
Mad Jim: I think I’m with you there, I also ever so slightly prefer Melos to Palepolis...much due to the vocals which just jive better to me.

Yesterday:
Our Solar System - Origins
Gösta Berlings Saga - Island
Sun Ra - Space Is The Place
Dzyan - Electric Silence
Tonton Macoute - s/t
Yves Tumor - Safe In The Hands Of Love
Semiramis - Dedicato A Frazz
A.A.L. - 2012-2017

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 07:07
Steve: Ballot Result!!  That's a cool one.  Lately I've been really into their earliest stuff. The really punchy stuff that's over in like 58 seconds  lol

Now you guys have me wanting to do a Melos/Palepoli contest.  Used to be Melos for me as that is a top fave.  But it's a been a long while since I've heard them side by side.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 19:29
Jim: Ballot Result is a pretty interesting collection of recordings from a variety of sources, but the original idea was to take votes from fans to plan a double live album taken from their next tour. I got my ballot in, but then D Boon died, so obviously no tour. Still sad thinking about it, but putting this album together anyway from whatever they had on hand for the ballot winners was a really touching move on Mike and George’s part.

And yeah, those early works where few songs exceed 1minute are incredible feats of invention.

Today:

Picchio dal Pozzo | s/t
James Ferraro | On Air
Soft Machine | 5
Section 25 | Illuminus Illuminae
The Mud Hutters | Declaration EP
The Mud Hutters | Information EP
Gerald Wenzel | Prairie Program

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 19:36
David- re AMM: the Crypt recording is quite aggressive in spots. Almost thought I was listening to Wolf Eyes.

I’d love to have a bigger AMM collection. I love that freeform abstract scene.

-Kehlog Albran
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 05:38
A damn good vintage night!

Oberon – A Midsummer’s Night Dream
Spring – s/t
Janus – Gravedigger
Morpheus – Rabenteuer
Zior – s/t
Nektar – Recycled
Panta Rei – s/t
Som Nosso de Cada Dia – Snegs
Progress 2 – Dialog S Vesmirem
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 11:48
Steve, it was a great idea and a true DIY move and a perfect way to honor D.  It is still amazing to me that one of the greatest American bands has never really been appreciated enough.

Yes - Fragile
BOC - Agents of Fortune
Fleetwood Mac - Mystery to Me
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 19:45
^ Love Agents of Fortune, new direction at the time, more polished.

Sort of main stream and nostalgic tonight:

The Cars - Candy-O (you are right Jim, very underrated or under appreciated guitarist, what a great follow up to that debut album)
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand the Weather
Joe Cocker - Joe Cocker!
The Traveling Wilburys - Volume 1
Ten Years After - About Time
Tommy James and the Shondells - Anthology (takes me back to riding with my dad in his 67 VW Beetle listening to the AM radio, Crimson and Clover makes me think of a first crush - sweet!) 

Edited by AEProgman - October 20 2018 at 19:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 264265266267268 522>