Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 273274275276277 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 02:37
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

^ No waste, Sam, it was fun!  I appreciate the reminder to try old albums again.

But your comment, are you referring to his son's death?  Or the bad car crash?  Because I think the car wreck was actually during the Presence sessions.  I remember reading about Plant singing from a wheelchair on Presence.  Although I suppose the accident effects could have lasted all the way to Out Door too. 
I had to confirm, both happened after Presence was released and I thought they were related but it seems not. Anyway, I don't think it's that bad, all things considered. I'm pretty sure they would have released far worse if they had continued through the 80's Tongue

Yesterday:
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom (Speaking about changing opinions, I didn't hate it this time! I guess I wasn't able to understand it a few years ago. It's just a shame that Richard Sinclair was in the studio and didn't sing on it.)
Casiopea - Mint Jams (Most drum solos become hardly interesting after listening to "Domino Line".)
Dice - The Four Riders of the Apocalypse

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 06:44
^Robert's bad auto wreck was in August 75, Presence released in 1976. 

Thumbs up on the Wyatt!

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 07:38
Lots of snow here in the great white North, so I am taking it easy today and putting on those headphones of mine .

Riverside-- Eye of the soundscape
Fear Factory-- Demanufacture .
U2-- War 
The Who-- Quadrophenia
Fields of the Nephilim-- Live at BBC radio (1988) 
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 09:04
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Lots of snow here in the great white North, so I am taking it easy today and putting on those headphones of mine .

Had our first 20 cm last friday, another 10 expected for today. Fisrt snow is always awesome but way too early this year: Man, this will be a very long winter!

Klaus Schulze playing here.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 10:27
^^^ Yeah, bad phrasing on Wikipedia, only the accident happened during Presence.

^ Here it's rather hot for November, we had 22 degrees today Confused

Today:
Samla Mammas Manna ‎– Måltid
Jean-Michel Jarre - Équinoxe Infinity (More like Les Chants Magnétiques 2: a very good first side and a lot of cheese on the second :P)
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 14:08
John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band: Post Beatles album that's pretty much awesome from beginning to end. According to my album, Yoko Ono is part of the group here, performing wind. Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't hear any fart noises on the album, they might have disrupted the flow of something like "Working Class Hero".

The Minutemen - 3-Way Tie (For Last): I never heard this one before, but always wanted to thanks to the Blue Oyster Cult cover....and yeah, "The Red and the Black" is pretty rad, but the the album does feel like a mixed bag...a sort of "odds & sods" deal. "Lost" is pretty nuts, when I first played it, I thought the song skipped back to the beginning. Crazy I tells ya!

Crystal Viper: Queen of the Witches: Female fronted heavy metal that isn't symphonic or flowery. Just beefy meat & potatoes from front to back. The Grim Reaper "See You in Hell" cover is a bit weak, not because of the band, as that singer hits all the notes easily, but the fact that the original is comparatively weak compared to the band's original stuff.

Burning Witches - Hexenhammer: Not just female fronted, but an all babe metal band from Switzerland pumping out some heavy metal in the vein of bands like Chastain. The singer is appropriately quite witchy in her delivery, which adds a fun factor if you ask me. Decent enough otherwise, but those vocals!

Killing Joke - Brighter Than a Thousand Suns: This remastered version is somewhat different than my old cassette version. Less polish with some extra heaviness,plus less reverb on the vocals. It kind of makes "Adorations" a bit too noisy, but "Sanity" actually sounds a bit better. Love that song.

Killing Joke - Night Time: What I like about this era of the band is that it has that new wave catchiness, like Tears for Fears or Big Country, but there's more crank to it. Songs like "Love Like Blood" are earworms, but are also blessed with actual heaviness, balls of steel damnit. 

Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience: Remember the somewhat derogatory term 'jangle rock'? This group is like the poster boy for that sound. Constant jangles, and when a song like "Hey Jealousy" is among the most creative tunes on an album, it's a jangly chore, although another hit "Found Out About You" I have a bit of soft spot for, despite the jangles. Seriously, holy jangles!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 20:28
POB is incredible. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 21:00
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
'Til Tuesday - Welcome Home

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 07:25
Re: Minutemen 3-Way Tie

Not their strongest album by a long shot, but has plenty of great moments. Mike Watt continued to do “The Red and the Black” in his next band fIREHOSE- it’s on a live EP. “Lost” is a Meat Puppets cover, done very differently from the original on Meat Puppets II (aka Nirvana Unplugged).
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 09:54
I had no idea that "Lost" is a cover, guess I'll have to check out the original. I'm feeling so unhip now concerning the cool non-mainstream 80's scene!Ouch

POB is incredible.  
After listening to a slew of post-Beatles solo releases, I've come to the conclusion that John's POB is my favorite by a nose over George's ATMP. Both are so good, that I guess it comes down to John's voice being more versatile and kinda cooler (not that George is even remotely bad...John is just such a good singer). 

Paul's Ram comes in third for me, although he has an overall better discography than John and George, with Band on the Run and Venus & Mars boasting lots of super stuff.

Poor Ringo, he would actually be the one I'd want to hang and get drunk with, but his albums don't work for me. I  prefer Yoko over his stuff, especially Approximate Infinite Universe which is loaded with good stuff (and a few clunkers, but that's ok...double albums often do that).
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 09:56
Minny Pops | Sparks in a Dark Room
Can | Sacrilege
White Stripes | Get Behind Me Satan
Kraan | Let it Out
Negativland | Guns
Jandek | Brooklyn Wednesday
Descendents | Everything Sucks
Melvins | Houdini
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 10:19
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

I'm feeling so unhip now concerning the cool non-mainstream 80's scene!Ouch

POB is incredible.  
After listening to a slew of post-Beatles solo releases, I've come to the conclusion that John's POB is my favorite by a nose over George's ATMP. Both are so good, that I guess it comes down to John's voice being more versatile and kinda cooler (not that George is even remotely bad...John is just such a good singer). 

Pretty much agree, Dave.  POB and All Things are the ones that most hold up for me. Paul's solo stuff has never grabbed me like his Beatles work, though. I can enjoy Wings for sure, but it lacks a certain something he had with the Beatles. Imagine and Mind Games and Double Fantasy all have stellar moments too.

Worry not about your 80s unhipness.  I too ignored much during that decade and an now finally discovering it.  Who'd have thunk I'd actually like Til Tuesday after all these years.  While it does have a touch of "John Hughes soundtrack" to it, it was actually a really fun listen.  I think many of us who spent the 80s hunkering down with prog, metal, or punk, will find plenty of other things we can discover in that interesting and maligned decade.

Edited by Finnforest - November 17 2018 at 10:34

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 10:20
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Minny Pops | Sparks in a Dark Room
Can | Sacrilege
White Stripes | Get Behind Me Satan
Kraan | Let it Out
Negativland | Guns
Jandek | Brooklyn Wednesday
Descendents | Everything Sucks
Melvins | Houdini

With that title, I need to hear it LOL

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 16:00

Worry not about your 80s unhipness.  I too ignored much during that decade and an now finally discovering it.  Who'd have thunk I'd actually like Til Tuesday after all these years.  While it does have a touch of "John Hughes soundtrack" to it, it was actually a really fun listen.  I think many of us who spent the 80s hunkering down with prog, metal, or punk, will find plenty of other things we can discover in that interesting and maligned decade.
Funny enough, I bought Til Tuesday's Welcome Home LP back in the 80's and loved it, especially side A. Their Voices Carry album kinda sucked outside of the big hit due to the album being mostly sterilized cheese, but Welcome Home had a lush production, some majestic choruses ("David Denies", "On Sunday") and some better than average pop lyrics for the time ("Will She Just Fall Down", title track). Haven't played that in ages...now I want to hear it again.LOL

As for Descendants, I used to have Two Things At Once, which combined Milo Goes to College with their earlier stuff. What was most notable was the inclusion of the "Ride the Wild" single, which was when they were a poppy surf-rock punk band...I really liked that single despite it's talent shortcomings...kind of endearing.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 17:23

Oh man, did I wear this thing out back then!  Over and over again LOL, still love it.

Made it to a record/CD show last weekend and finally getting time to give them a listen.  Over the past 2 days and tonight:

Baker Gurvitz Army - Offbeat Passages (live album)
Ayreon - The Human Equation (1rst album I have by Arjen)
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Spooky Tooth - The Last Puff
Rush - Caress of Steel
Soft Machine - Third
Styx - Pieces of Eight
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 20:04
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Funny enough, I bought Til Tuesday's Welcome Home LP back in the 80's and loved it, especially side A. Their Voices Carry album kinda sucked outside of the big hit due to the album being mostly sterilized cheese, but Welcome Home had a lush production, some majestic choruses ("David Denies", "On Sunday") and some better than average pop lyrics for the time ("Will She Just Fall Down", title track). Haven't played that in ages...now I want to hear it again.LOL

As for Descendants, I used to have Two Things At Once, which combined Milo Goes to College with their earlier stuff. What was most notable was the inclusion of the "Ride the Wild" single, which was when they were a poppy surf-rock punk band...I really liked that single despite it's talent shortcomings...kind of endearing.

Kudos to you for buying it!  I'm trying the next one now, Everything's Different Now, and it sounds pretty cool too.  I looked at their three albums on RateYourMusic and noticed that each album was rated higher that the previous one. So Voices Carry had the lowest rating and the last one had the highest.  And, naturally, album sales and rankings went down with each release. 

Just a couple songs in now but, yeah, this is pure ear candy.  Wonder how her solo 90s albums were. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 20:09
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Oh man, did I wear this thing out back then!  Over and over again LOL, still love it.

Made it to a record/CD show last weekend and finally getting time to give them a listen.  Over the past 2 days and tonight:

Baker Gurvitz Army - Offbeat Passages (live album)
Ayreon - The Human Equation (1rst album I have by Arjen)
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Spooky Tooth - The Last Puff
Rush - Caress of Steel
Soft Machine - Third
Styx - Pieces of Eight

Great titles there, Jim.  I'm in the minority with Styx faves, but I actually like Cornerstone better than the much loved Pieces of Eight.  And it follows with something Dennis said once re Pieces.  Dennis doesn't care for the album because he thought his tracks sucked.  But he acknowledged that Tommy's were great.  That's kinda how I feel about it.  I like Tommy's Pieces songs but not so much Dennis'.  But I think both did well on Cornerstone.

Caress!  Heart

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 22:31
^^^^ Love Killing Joke Prog Sothoth .:)

Today was sonically pleasing and frusterating .

Rush-- Presto ( Audio Fidelity SACD version)-- beautiful .In every sense of the word. 
Unreal City-- Il Paese Del Tramonto ( oh man .you just do not find nice recordings like this anymore . I love how my brain can just switch off analytical mode and just enjoy what I am hearing . Truly love this album and it was my most engaging listen today .)
Marillion-- Clutching At Straws (1998 remaster. ) I f**king hate this remaster. Once I get the new blu-ray box set this f**ker will be sold. A painful listen . )
Landmarq-- Origins (the Damian years) love the songs on this one, but once again my ears get scorched by sh*t bag remastering . bought this in 2013 so it is my own damn fault . Wish the original copies of Landmarq albums were not so expensive .)
Various Artists-- The Lost Boys Soundtrack. ( Back to good old 1987 when the cd was amazing . Roger Daultry has a pretty good tune on this disc .)

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 12:11

Presence simply slays me beginning to end.  Perhaps nothing earth-shatteringly original or musically daring for the lads, but the endless grooves and the aggression.  Then, at the end, the slow-burn leads of Tea for One to  chill you out.  It's also very cohesive. Some of their earlier great works jump around in style and force, but Presence all sounds like a complete, cohesive work.

You do hear bits & pieces of other stuff, especially some of the passages hinted at on TSRtS woven into the extended Dazed&Confused.   Because Plant was healing and Bonham suffering from increased booze and heroin problems, Page handled much of the comps and args.   Plus the prod, of course.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 14:32
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Presence simply slays me beginning to end.  Perhaps nothing earth-shatteringly original or musically daring for the lads, but the endless grooves and the aggression.  Then, at the end, the slow-burn leads of Tea for One to  chill you out.  It's also very cohesive. Some of their earlier great works jump around in style and force, but Presence all sounds like a complete, cohesive work.

You do hear bits & pieces of other stuff, especially some of the passages hinted at on TSRtS woven into the extended Dazed&Confused.   Because Plant was healing and Bonham suffering from increased booze and heroin problems, Page handled much of the comps and args.   Plus the prod, of course.

Makes me wonder about how much creative influence Jonesy had on Presence.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 273274275276277 522>