Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 325326327328329 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 19:13
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Gil Scott-Heron/Brian Jackson - Bridges
King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon
Neil Young - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

Damn that KC sounded better than I remembered. 

It's a very underrated KC album IMO. 

So far today:
Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean
Gentle Giant - In A Glass House
National Health - National Health
Gentle Giant - Three Friends
Comus - First Utterance
Necrophagist - Epitaph
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame
Pelican - Australasia
Present - High Infidelity
Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 19:45
^
Yeah. I was thinking, as it was playing, why is this considered a letdown after the first?  Great stuff.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 20:44
I actually prefer Poseidon to the debut, though I can’t deny the impact the debut had from happening first!

Some of the below are new (used) vinyl acquisitions. Really hit paydirt this weekend.
Barclay James Harvest | Once Again
The Magnetic Fields | 69 Love Songs
Paul McCartney | Red Rose Speedway
Lynyrd Skynyrd | Street Survivors (original flame cover!)
Billy Joel | Cold Spring Harbor
Urban Anesthesia | Uncultured Unrefined (my friend’s CD he self produced in 1995)
The Fugs | It Crawled Into My Hand, Honest
The Who | Quadrophenia
The Nice | Five Bridges
Steve Miller Band | Circle of Love
Camel | Rain Dances
Jack Bruce Band | How’s Tricks
John Lennon/Yoko Ono | Unfinished Music Vol 2: Life With the Lions
Joe Jackson | Big World
Simple Minds | Once Upon a Time
Steve Miller Band | Brave New World
Adam & the Ants | Prince Charming
INXS | Shabooh Shoobah
The Pretenders | Extended Play EP

Edited by HolyMoly - May 27 2019 at 20:44
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 21:25
^
Street Survivors....man, Steve Gaines. What a catch he was for an already great band.  There's a video on YT taken at one of the first big gigs with Steve. Ronnie, as he always did for all the guitarists, was watching close. He was always like a taskmaster, making sure the guys were nailing it, quality assurance guy.  They got an earful when they didn't play well. Anyway, at this early Gaines gig, when Steve takes the solo and let's rip, there is a brief shot of Ronnie's face, his smile going ear to ear, and he's looking at this guy like a first-time dad looking at the new kid.  Priceless.  He knew they made a killer decision with the new hire.   

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2019 at 02:53
Frank Zappa - Sleep Dirt
Finch - Beyond Expression
Tangerine Dream - White Eagle
Mildlife - Phase
Susanne Sundfør - Take One
Kråkesølf - Pangea
Earth, Wind & Fire - All 'n All
Golden Earring - Live
Bo Hansson - Watership Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2019 at 06:45
^
Love those Hansson albums.

2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2019 at 07:35
Tangerine Dream - Rocking Mars. It didn’t sound at all good through headphones yesterday compared to the Mars Polaris studio album but played loud on a speaker system was much more like a concert experience. Like maybe being at the back of a large hall getting more of the added guitar, drums and percussion echoing around.

"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2019 at 07:44

^
Street Survivors....man, Steve Gaines. What a catch he was for an already great band.  There's a video on YT taken at one of the first big gigs with Steve. Ronnie, as he always did for all the guitarists, was watching close. He was always like a taskmaster, making sure the guys were nailing it, quality assurance guy.  They got an earful when they didn't play well. Anyway, at this early Gaines gig, when Steve takes the solo and let's rip, there is a brief shot of Ronnie's face, his smile going ear to ear, and he's looking at this guy like a first-time dad looking at the new kid.  Priceless.  He knew they made a killer decision with the new hire.   
what a heartwarming story <3. Losing Ronnie and Steve was a huge loss.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 03:00

^
Love those Hansson albums.
I only have this one and I should spin it more often. It always reminds me of Snow Goose but I find Watership Down more interesting.

Last two days:
Dungen + Woods - Myths 003 (I had no idea Dungen released an album last year.)
Handwrist - Paranoid Hotel
Banco - Transiberiana (Everyone was talking about it and it's indeed surprisingly good.)
Giorgio Moroder - From Here to Eternity
Pedro Marques - Building Walls With Sound
Stone From The Sky - Break a Leg
Camel - A Live Record (I heard the two LP's on different days. Snow Goose right after Lady Fantasy was not a good idea.)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 18:06
^
I think you'd like Attic Thoughts, too.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 18:06
Alice Cooper - Goes to Hell
LZ - In Thru the Out Door

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2019 at 10:11
Alice Cooper - Special Forces: Alice really dives into the new wave with this album. Even the guitars have a more "flangy" sound on some of the tracks than a hard rock tone. Very weird, plus for the tour he looked like  a zombie Adam Ant. He was quite messed up at this point, though I didn't mind this album...kinda fun.

Alice Cooper - Zipper Catches Skin: Even weirder. Alice doesn't even really sing much...he sort of "presents the lyrics" instead, a very slacker sing/talk style much of the time. The lyrics are fairly unusual at least. I don't think Alice even remembers recording it; he was too far gone.

Weyes Blood (geared up for her concert that night) -
    The Innocents: raw, sometimes sparse
    Front Row Seat to Earth: more lush, a true gem, gorgeous, my fav
    Titanic Rising: She played almost all of this album, very good but gets "samey" at times

Jackie Cohen - Zagg: She opened for Weyes Blood doing an acoustic set with some twee dude. I checked out her album the next day for the hell of it, and it's quirky cool indie rock...and quite good! I wish she had the band with her now; I would have bought her stuff at the show (she was at the concession stand)

Gin Lee - Prologue: Every once in a while I check out some random pretty Chinese singer's album. No surprises here; pretty woman with a pretty voice sings pretty mando-pop ballads with a couple of upbeat numbers tossed in. It's pretty saccharine. I'll try someone else in a month.

Kaelan Mikla - Nott Eftir Nott: Iclandic band consisting of three women playing goth rock and singing in Icelandic. Really harkens back to the days of fog machines and rubber spiders in certain fetishy night clubs. Very retro, but cool.

Alice  Cooper - Dada: I wasn't expecting much since thisis still his early 80's "lost weekend" phase, but a lot of these songs are actually great! Good guitar player too, and Alice is singing again but not relying on the sneer delivery. This was actually a surprise, only "Fresh Blood" was skippable. Odd concept too, with "Scarlet and Sheba" being a total highlight.

Adam Ant - Prince Charming: Kinda vaudeville pop/rock...I only knew his Friend or Foe album, which I enjoy more than this, though it's got some wildly diverse stuff going on and good percussion/drumming.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 06:59
Today's listens:

Deep Purple – In Rock
Lucifer’s Friend – Mind Exploding
Transit Express – Priglacit
Gong – Expresso II
Soft Machine – 5
Yes – Union
IQ – Tales from the Lush Attic
Iron Maiden – No Prayer for the Dying
Tim Blake - Crystal Machine
O.R.k – Ramagehead
Van der Graaf Generator – Trisector
Oresund Space Collective – Freakout in the Fjord
Dr Space – Alien Planet Trip: volume 3
Ed Wynne – Shimmer into Nature
Lunatic Soul - Impressions
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 07:25
^ Man, the Ed Wynne album is a wynner (ha!)
How did the Lucifer’s Friend album turn out ??
I never listened and to any booty today.....
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 08:14
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Man, the Ed Wynne album is a wynner (ha!)
How did the Lucifer’s Friend album turn out ??
I never listened and to any booty today.....

Slogging through album after album at work was the only thing that kept me going, mate!

The Lucifer's Friend LP (which I thought was their third, was actually their fifth) was a bit of a dud, man. Well-played but very straightforward rock, actually sounded like a more vanilla version of Uriah Heep. If I paid $15 Aussie for it, it wouldn't have been so bad, but for $30 it mostly feels like a waste.

That O.R.k one that boasted Colin Edwin and Pat Mastelotto was hugely disappointing. Some potentially interesting playing and arrangements on it are constantly crippled by unbearably forced vocals that sound like the worst parts of Daniel Gildenlow's overemoting with 90's alt-rock posturing. Unbearable.

Catch you in the morning, buddy
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 10:44

i thought it was so funny when I finally discovered that that Cooper album really is a concept album about literally going to Hell. Such a lighthearted take on Hell, too. What a guy.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 11:08
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

i thought it was so funny when I finally discovered that that Cooper album really is a concept album about literally going to Hell. Such a lighthearted take on Hell, too. What a guy.

LOL

I know it's only my second solo album, but I am definitely missing the AC Band albums. Pretty sure I'm going to end up loving the ACB albums and not so much on the solo stuff.  Maybe there's more interesting stuff coming.

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 16:24
Hey guys, been awhile.  Been caregiving to my wife who had shoulder surgery and while working at home, by the end of the day I'm exhausted.  But this is life, we all go through trials.  

Have not listened to much over the past month except classical music on "theclassicalstation.org" here in NC which also does FM throughout the state.

Have kept an eye on this thread however and a smile to see all the Alice Cooper attention.  Over this past weekend, I have picked up on some albums while catching up on yardwork with my bluetooth headphones.

King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon (yes Jim, it does sound so good now!)
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way (drift off in bliss)
Alice Cooper - Schools Out (little different than the other AC Band sound, more jazz mixed in.  Very cool)  Oh, Jim again, I agree.  I love the early band era instead of the solo career (have not given it a lot of listens though).  I saw where you listened to Muscle of Love.  Curious of your (and others thoughts of it).  There are some songs I really love on it.  Big Apple Dreaming and Hard Hearted Alice come to mind.

Sam, glad to here the Banco album is deserving the praise its been getting.  I need to get that one.

Saw mention of Skynyrd above, had tickets to see them 4 months before their plane crash.  Tickets were $6!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 17:22
Rolling Stones:
Goat’s Head Soup
Now!
London Singles Collection (disc 3)
Get Yer Ya-Yas Out

Plus:
Procol Harum | Procol’s Ninth
The Nice | Elegy

Also been into the long-awaited audiobook of “Our Band Could Be Your Life”, a detailed look at several key American indie bands from the early 80s. A book seemingly tailor-made for me, though it took me this long to finally “read” it because I highly prefer audiobooks to the paper/kindle variety. I just suck at reading, but I love books.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 18:46
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Rolling Stones:
Goat’s Head Soup
Now!
London Singles Collection (disc 3)
Get Yer Ya-Yas Out

Plus:
Procol Harum | Procol’s Ninth
The Nice | Elegy

Also been into the long-awaited audiobook of “Our Band Could Be Your Life”, a detailed look at several key American indie bands from the early 80s. A book seemingly tailor-made for me, though it took me this long to finally “read” it because I highly prefer audiobooks to the paper/kindle variety. I just suck at reading, but I love books.

I've got that book!  Read it when it first came out and loved it, and it served as my Minutemen fix until the excellent full bio DVD came out. 

Goat's Head...love that one.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 325326327328329 522>