Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 326327328329330 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 18:50
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Hey guys, been awhile.  Been caregiving to my wife who had shoulder surgery and while working at home, by the end of the day I'm exhausted.  But this is life, we all go through trials.  

Have not listened to much over the past month except classical music on "theclassicalstation.org" here in NC which also does FM throughout the state.

Have kept an eye on this thread however and a smile to see all the Alice Cooper attention.  Over this past weekend, I have picked up on some albums while catching up on yardwork with my bluetooth headphones.

King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon (yes Jim, it does sound so good now!)
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way (drift off in bliss)
Alice Cooper - Schools Out (little different than the other AC Band sound, more jazz mixed in.  Very cool)  Oh, Jim again, I agree.  I love the early band era instead of the solo career (have not given it a lot of listens though).  I saw where you listened to Muscle of Love.  Curious of your (and others thoughts of it).  There are some songs I really love on it.  Big Apple Dreaming and Hard Hearted Alice come to mind.

Sam, glad to here the Banco album is deserving the praise its been getting.  I need to get that one.

Saw mention of Skynyrd above, had tickets to see them 4 months before their plane crash.  Tickets were $6!

Hey Jim! Hope the wife is well on the mend now!
I hear you about trials. I'm now having some massive gallbladder problems. Let me tell you, it's a party. 

Did you actually see Skynyrd back then?  That's a huge one on my fantasy time travel concert list.

I'll have to spin Muscle again before I can comment since I'm in the midst of a Cooper blitz. My brain hasn't separated those albums yet. 

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 03:35
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

^
I think you'd like Attic Thoughts, too.
I heard it a couple of times some time ago, but I don't recall anything from it. For sure I would buy it if I'd find it.

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Gong – Expresso II
Van der Graaf Generator – Trisector
Great album. Honestly, I enjoy the Fusion albums more than the RGI trilogy.
Did you find that VdGG album tolerable? :P

Sam, glad to here the Banco album is deserving the praise its been getting.  I need to get that one.
Well, and I need to get a Banco album Embarrassed
I hope your wife is recovering well Smile

Just a couple of new albums, the others were mentioned quite a lot on this thread:
Masayoshi Takanaka - An Insatiable High
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
Pyramidal - Pyramidal
Karakorum - Fables and Fairy Tales
Casiopea - Thunder Live
Yellow Magic Orchestra - Yellow Magic Orchestra
Handwrist - Rough Fluff
Øresund Space Collective - Ode to a Black Hole
Reis da República - Fábulas
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 05:49
Thanks for the well wishes!  Anything can happen in the blink of an eye, and your world changes.

^ Yeah Sam, I only own a couple of Banco albums, listened to others via streaming and such.

^^ Jim, that ticket I had for Skynyrd would have been my first time seeing them.  I kept that ticket for a long time as a memento but got lost in the shuffle over the years.  Being in Va. growing up, "southern rock" was of course big in the area.  

I think Muscle of Love was Alice's original bands last album before he went solo.

Forgot to mention another album I listened to over the weekend:
Wishbone Ash - s/t (such a good debut album)

Edited by AEProgman - June 03 2019 at 06:23
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 14:35
Today while shopping at the grocery stores, more than one to get what what we like.
Pink Floyd - The Endless River (Floyd smoothness)
Luciano Basso - Voci (sheer beauty)

Jim, gall bladder for sure are no fun party.  Hope it gets well soon.  Hear those things occur somewhat frequently, but painful!
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 16:49

Alice Cooper - Schools Out (little different than the other AC Band sound, more jazz mixed in.  Very cool)  Oh, Jim again, I agree.  I love the early band era instead of the solo career (have not given it a lot of listens though).  I saw where you listened to Muscle of Love.  Curious of your (and others thoughts of it).  There are some songs I really love on it.  Big Apple Dreaming and Hard Hearted Alice come to mind.

"Hard Hearted Alice" is an amazing song, and one of Alice's best vocal performances, really showing his diversity. He was never just about the "sneer". The title track was also great, and I've heard a couple of covers of it by obscure punk bands (Flower Lepards comes to mind). I've only heard the whole shebang once, but that was also when I was spinning his most highly regarded albums from that era so my opinion may be skewed in that I thought it was cool but not as much as the others around it, including School's Out, which is a ton of fun. "Blue Turk" blew my mind....crankin' jazziness.

If I had played Muscle around the same time as Trash and such, I would have considered it a total classic. Once I finish listening to his whole discography, I'm going right back to the ACB stuff for more rounds. I've heard that a lot of fans really dig his recent stuff like Brutal Planet...curious about that.

Edited by Prog Sothoth - June 03 2019 at 16:50
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 21:29
Columbia Records - Best of the Big Bands 1930s-60s
Eddie Rabbitt - Horizon
Neil Young - Sleeps with Angels
Genesis - The Lamb

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 04:19
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Van der Graaf Generator – Trisector
Did you find that VdGG album tolerable? :P

Hey mate, it's surprisingly very decent! From 2008. I hadn't really planned on getting it, but I'd seen it a few times over several months sitting in my local second-hand record store for a few bucks, and just decided to give it a shot.

It doesn't have the saxes anymore, but with the exception of a fairly mundane and anonymous sounding instrumental that opens the disc, it's all very strong material from there, and has plenty of the darker `spasms' that pop up on all the VdGG albums!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 06:22
^ I have a soft spot for A Grounding in Numbers. Just outrageous
CUVEE View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CUVEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 14:41
Ilargia2 - Ovejas (free mp3 download from Jamendo)

The Neal Morse Band - The Great Adventure (Having "The Similitude Of A Dream" CD, I found this one "The Great Adventure" on YOUTUBE. Full wonderful album with wonderful video. Great Stuff.

The Windmill - Tribus (My favourite album at the moment and band will play 2019 Summers End festival UK)

Yes - Yessongs (bought CD album in 2019 which has been remix wonderfully.
On another subject of YES and recent album release - "Fly From Home Return" will their be a proper release for £10?)

Lifesigns - Lifesigns (a 2013 release which I bought on vinyl. The picture on sleeve is beautiful, rose tinted glasses of England)

Barclay James Harvest - Gone To Earth (big selling album. One of best albums)

Procol Harum - Novum (has been said, "excellent album. The sound is at today's level and don't sound too vintage" I would give 4.5 star rating.

Magnatar - Parallel Words (Classic English Prog.... from Floridal. Great album for all that requires Instrumental album)

England - Garden Shed (finest Prog in a Gentle Giant / Barclay James Harvest, sound. Buy from uk/7digital.com)

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 14:49
Earth - Full Upon Her Burning Lips
Talking Heads - Talking Heads: '77
New York Voices - Collection
The Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic
Sonia Dada - Test Pattern

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 17:21
Originally posted by CUVEE CUVEE wrote:

Lifesigns (a 2013 release which I bought on vinyl. The picture on sleeve is beautiful, rose tinted glasses of England)

[DIV 
What a SUPERB album. I wish Beggs stuck around, but then we have The Mute Gods, which is another great project with Beggs.
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2019 at 18:52
Karmamoi - The Day Is Done (emotional musical experience)
Dean Baker - Constellations (very tasteful EM solo CD by Galahad keyboard player)
Big Big Train - Grand Tour (one of the best prog releases in last 12 months)
Jordsjo - -Nattviolen (Mellotron drenched prog folk with hints from Anglagard)
Alpesa - Renacer (wonderful new Rock Andaluz with strong vocals and exciting flamenco guitar)
Tangerine Dream - Encore (my favourite EM album)
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2019 at 20:12
Sonic Youth | Sonic Nurse — decent late-period SY

Sonic Youth | Confusion is Sex — First full album from 1983, still wows me today

Big Black | Songs About F***ing — first or second listen. Not huge on this band (too trebly, I need bass) but one of their best definitely

Spirit | Future Games — those flaky mid 70s Spirit albums have really grown on me over the years. This one’s iffy’er than usual but it’s lovely anyway

Fleetwood Mac | Then Play On — still incredible. Just picked up a 2nd copy on CD containing the UK track listing. I know and have all the songs already but this album is special, and must be owned in multiple versions (next: vinyl)

Esmectatons | Life from the Last Floor Windows — prolific Brazilian avant-rock artist. I’m a devoted fan. Still making my way through his 80+ albums. All over the map, from new wave funk to harsh noise and everywhere in between. Very DIY but relatively little BS. This particular one is fairly accessible jam rock with an underground sheen

Esmectatons | Rated X — another one. This reminds me of Kayo Dot a little, as undefinable as that band is.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2019 at 03:47
Hey? Looks like everyone here is playing the game called ‘life.’
Trials...trails...more trails. We’ve all got our battles and we’ve all got more upcoming ones that we don’t even know about yet, however let us all stay strong and hold the MUSIC close!
This is how will all pull through. :)

Lately. My way to and from work on the train is where I take great refuge during the week cause I get a couple of hrs of decent music listening. I switched over to good pair of IEM’s so I can now have superior noise cancellation from outside ambient noises.
Anyhow. Been on a Rammstein kick. Lol.

Rammstein—Live In Paris (2012)
Rammstein— S/T (2019)
Rammstein— Rosenrot ( 2011)

Honesty Rammstein deliver the goods. I can see why their Germany’s most successful metal group.
Move over Vanden Plas? Ha ha just kidding
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2019 at 11:14

Hey mate, it's surprisingly very decent! From 2008. I hadn't really planned on getting it, but I'd seen it a few times over several months sitting in my local second-hand record store for a few bucks, and just decided to give it a shot.

It doesn't have the saxes anymore, but with the exception of a fairly mundane and anonymous sounding instrumental that opens the disc, it's all very strong material from there, and has plenty of the darker `spasms' that pop up on all the VdGG albums!
That's good to know. Look at us, talking (mostly) positively about VdGG LOL

This week:
Taeko Ohnuki - Grey Skies
Kimiko Kasai - Tokyo Special
Yellow Magic Orchestra - Solid State Survivor
Yoshiko Sai - Mangekyou
Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night
10000 Russos - 10000 Russos
Charlie Cawood - The Divine Abstract
Alber Jupiter - We Are Just Floating In Space
Electric Moon - Stardust Rituals
IZZ - Don't Panic
Papir - VI
Solution - Cordon Bleu
Uxu Kalhus - Enleio
Yes - Magnification
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2019 at 22:36
Reservoir Dogs soundtrack
Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2019 at 21:17
Apocalyptica— Worlds collide.
Judas Priest— Sad Wings Of Destiny ( just a beautiful time spent with this one. A real true classic.)
Opeth— Still Life. ( a true proggy beast. I’m still growing on this one. Takes many listens, but deep down I know it’s damn good.)
Royal Hunt— Paradox ( scored a Japanese release of this album. Amazingly better on all fronts for SQ. Great edition and collectible in my prog world. )
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2019 at 21:27
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Reservoir Dogs soundtrack
Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla

Rocka Rolla is a cool album. Has a few proggy detours they didn't try again.

Sonic Youth | Daydream Nation — a lifetime favorite. I have 3 copies of this. Their peak as a band.

Sonic Youth | Sonic Death: Early Live Sonic — the noisy beginnings, and a very cool collage-style picture of their early sound

Grant Hart (RIP) | The Argument — former Husker Du drummer/singer put out a lot of albums on his own, none of which I’d previously heard. This is from 2013, and I think it’s his last (he died recently:( ) . It’s a pretty elaborate rock opera inspired by Paradise Lost. Sonically it reminds me of mid 70s Bowie and Alice Cooper. And he plays almost everything. Quite a pleasant surprise.

Animal Collective | Sung Tongs — maybe the most radically experimental band of the millennium. One of my favorite albums of theirs.

Esmectatons | Cult of Dementia — one of their best. Lots of Residents-like moments but this is all over the place. Consists of two 20+ minute suites.

Spacemen 3 | Translucent Flashbacks — collection of early single & EP tracks. May be their best representation.

Midnight Oil | Red Sails in the Sunset — 1985 Oil. First one I heard and it rocks righteously while being super danceable.

Dag Nasty | Can I Say — early spinoff from Minor Threat, with Brian Baker on guitar. Highly melodic speedy punk with highly personal lyrics. Hey! Whaddaya know, this is pretty much the birth of emo (along with Rites of Spring, of course).

Amon Duul II | Yeti — My favorite of theirs.

Edited by HolyMoly - June 08 2019 at 22:16
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2019 at 21:37
^ and ^^

I keep trying all those Priest albums...sometimes I think I'm getting there, other times it's still a slog. 

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2019 at 08:24
Past few days:

David Gilmour - On An Island (first time listening to the entire album, pretty much what I expected based on what I had heard about it.  Very chilled out)
Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules (as much as I try, never quite got into the Dio years.  He has a good voice for metal, but never clicked with me.  I do like Sign of the Southern Cross and a couple more, but thats it)
Robin Trower - For Earth Below (love Trower's early years.  James Dewar had such a soulful voice and fits Trower perfectly)
Various Classical Music via The Classical Station.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 326327328329330 522>