Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 00:55
Wednesday...

Pale Divine - Cemetery Earth  (Glen Mills, PA  2007)   70s psych rock mixed with doom
Echoes And Signals - Ouroboros  (Tula, Russia  2013)   Instrumental Post Rock 
All Them Witches - Lightning At The Door  (Nashville, TN  2013)   Psych / Stoner / Desert 
Mangoo - Neverland  (Turku, Finland  2012)   Heavy psych, stoner rock   
Camel Driver - Camel Driver  (Kiel, Germany  2014)   Instrumental / Desert / Stoner / Metal 
Bright Curse - Before The Shore  (London, England  2016)   Hard rock, stoner rock trio  

noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 03:23
Explosion in the Sky.....Wilderness (2016)

Edited by noni - September 29 2016 at 03:23
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 04:52
Tonight's choices....eventually headed in mostly a Neo direction!

Opeth - Watershed
Marillion – Script for a Jester’s Tear
I.Q – Tales from the Lush Attic
Pendragon – The Jewel
Mostly Autumn – Go Well Diamond Heart
Comedy of Errors - Spirit
Leap Day – From the Days of Deucalion: chapter two
Willowglass – The Dream Harbour
Flamborough Head – Unspoken Whisper
Arena – The Visitor
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 12:33
Darn, I can't walk (see my previous post for what happened). Spent the whole day in my house, in between kitchen, my room, and the turntable upstairs. It's an interesting experience, though.

Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra
This new record I bought sounds excellent! Man, how much I love this album! It's a bit like Henry Cow's LegEnd - each listen reveals so many new elements!

George Russell - Electronic Sonata for Souls Loved by Nature A-MA-ZING! This album is magnificent! It's probably as creative and interesting as avant-jazz gets. Electronic samples and ambiences interplay around delicious, hypnotic jazz improvisation, giving truly addicting results. Interestingly, Terje Rypdal and Jan Garbarek play here.

Popol Vuh - In Der Garten Pharaos One of my krautrock favorites. Rarely does kosmische musik suck you in like this album. It serves both as amazing background music as well as something to devote your full attention to.

Supersister - Present for Nancy I've recently focused on revisiting the terrific band that Supersister is. This album is very much in the vein of Soft Machine's Volume Two, now that I'm thinking, but it has more variety, some great ambeint passages.

The Long Hello - The Long Hello It is definitely interesting, well composed, well performed, but lacking a bit of that spark that distinguishes good from great. Still, I'm glad, I investigated it and will definitely come back.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 19:05
Iona - Another Realm
Iona - Open Sky
Joseph Haydn - Pauken High Mass

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 19:13
Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Darwin!
Bladder Flask - One Day I Was So Sad That The Corners of My Mouth Met and Everybody Thought I Was Whistling
Area - Caution Radiation Area
Yakuza - Way of the Dead
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 19:31
I just love the confidence of Darwin, bold, vintage RPI.  I can't understand how Banco always loses to PFM in those RPI polls.  Geek

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 19:47
We REALLY know the reason PFM win those polls, Jim!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 20:04
Indeed. Beer

Did you know you're quoted in a Glass Hammer official preview?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 20:29
Hey, mate, yes, that was a nice surprise about the Glass Hammer preview! They initially asked would I like to contribute a quote, which I was happy to do, but I figured it was for a Facebook post or something, and then when it showed up on a promo video I nearly fell over!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 20:34
I'm sure it won't be the last Michael with all the great reviews you've done. 

If you're like me you occasionally find yourself quoted in CD books or websites that you weren't even aware of.  My proudest moment I think is getting a "thank you" in a Tea Club CD.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 20:49
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I'm sure it won't be the last Michael with all the great reviews you've done. 

If you're like me you occasionally find yourself quoted in CD books or websites that you weren't even aware of.  My proudest moment I think is getting a "thank you" in a Tea Club CD.

That's sensational, what an honour! That's also really nice of you to say, mate. Honestly, I'm just a passionate music dork with too much time on my hands , just happy to rabbit on in reviews about albums whether one or even zero people want to read it...but occassionally some nice suprise like this happens that is a real pleasure to discover!

Actually, funny you mention `you occasionally find yourself quoted in CD books or websites that you weren't even aware of'....about a year or so back I accidently discovered that a large number of my reviews are spread across dozens of dodgy download/blog sites In many instances they were for reviews of very obscure albums, so in some cases mine might have been one of the only reviews of it on the net, so whoever was putting up the album just copy and pasted my words on their page! It's a very dubious `honour'....I hope no-one ever thinks it's me putting up those illegal downloads! Ha, I wouldn't have a clue how to do anything like that...if anyone comes knocking, I think they'd pick my fairly rudimentary computer skills very quickly!
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 20:55
Vektor - "Terminal Redux"
Doc Watson - "Memories"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 20:56
Yeah I think much of the content here has been spread in various places, I remember seeing some of that too.  I don't think PA can do much about it. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 21:19
Most of those blog sites, at least the ones putting up proper official albums, seem to disappear before too long anyway.

I remember reading a Black Widow promo a few months back for a new Goblin-related album, and reading a few lines into it I thought `Wait a minute, this seems awfully familar....', and sure enough, they literally grabbed a whole paragraph of one of my reviews and used it as their promotional information! I mean, I didn't mind, but a heads up would have helped!

I think the biggest surprise I got was when I received a message through the Archives from a Chilean band called Aisles, I gave their previous album a very positive review, and they thanked me for such praise and encouragment and asked if they could quote a line from it for their website, which was perfectly fine. About a year later, I was flipping through that glossy `Prog' magazine, and in the ads in the back was a half-page spread of their album, and sure enough my quote with my full name (as opposed to just `Progarchives') was there in print - cue cartoonish spitting drink all over pages upon discovery!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - September 29 2016 at 21:20
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 21:26
That's awesome mateLOLClap

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 21:43
I will tell you one thing I get a bit of a guilty laugh from, Jim...I think a bit of confusion sometimes comes from my alias of Aussie-Byrd-Brother (which I kind of regret in retrospect, but it was initally a way to fly under the radar of my loopy ex-partner! ). I've noticed several instances where some artists have nicely made mention of a review of mine on their Facebook page, or had some nice correspondance with me, where they've sometimes said `Wow, it's so exciting that we're so popular in Australia!!!', and in my mind I'm like, `Er, wait a minute...'

I think it's just a gentle misunderstanding (always with the artists that don't hail from English-speaking countries)...I mean, just because I'm the lunatic that gets these albums shipped over here!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - September 29 2016 at 21:43
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 23:26
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Great list, David! When I was on my really intense kraut kick, I could listen to krautrock all day long, even without eating. LOL

Oh wow. I hit my toe on the stairs and somehow managed to break my little artery that is there, so loads of blood. Went to the hospital and got 6 surgical sutures. So, I'm grounded at home, listening to music and catching up on books.

Yesterday (before the "stuff" happened):
Magma - Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way

Jeepers. Get better soon, man! Hug

Anyhow, I've been a little swamped with work lately so I haven't been listening to much, but today I did get around to listening to:

Deep Purple - Made In Japan (side one)
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans (sides three & four)
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 00:24
Thursday...

Fabricantes - La Selva Incrustada  (Cordoba, Argentina  2016)   Doom, stoner, sludge trio 
Radar Men From The Moon - Subversive II  (Eindhoven, NL  2016)   Heavy instrumental psych/space rock 
Radio Moscow - Brain Cycles  (Story City, Iowa  2009)   Heavy guitar driven hard rock/psych rock trio 
Yawning Man - Nomadic Pursuits  (La Quinta, CA  2010)   Instrumental desert rock, psych rock 
Crimson Stone - Crimson Stone  (Las Palmas, Spain  2015)   Desert / Stoner / Fuzz 
Cattarse - Blackwater  (Porto Alegre, Brazil  2016)   Hard Rock / Stoner / Doom 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 01:13
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Supersister - Present for Nancy I've recently focused on revisiting the terrific band that Supersister is. This album is very much in the vein of Soft Machine's Volume Two, now that I'm thinking, but it has more variety, some great ambeint passages.

Hope you pull together alright, mate! Hmmm, you might just have to stay home for a while doing nothing but listening to music - oh the horror!!

That Supersister one is a ripper! I sadly don't have it (I've lost count of how many times I've spun it on YouTube though), although I've noticed there's quite a few budget-priced sets that cram two of their albums onto the one CD. The only thing is, it seems to play havoc with my OCD, it's like a mix of their first and fourth album, etc. I'm like `Dammit, I need continuity, not re-arranging the order of their discography!' But I'll be getting onto them shortly. I do have the CD of their fifth and final album `Spiral Staircase', but I don't recall it being too special. Might have to give it a fresh spin. Their fourth album `Iskander' is in a different style as well, but still a fine album on its own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 522>