Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 328329330331332 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 18:15
New Wave! I’ll skip Tears for Fears and Talk Talk since they’re already well known around these parts.

On the more “art rock” side:
Wire (154, The Ideal Copy)
The Cure (The Head on the Door)
The Fall (This Nation’s Saving Grace)
Bill Nelson (Red Noise and solo) (Sound on Sound, The Love that Whirls)
Propaganda (A Secret Wish)
Julian Cope (some very poppy albums but some very heavy conceptual ones too) (Saint Julian, Jehovahkill)
Nina Hagen (the female Captain Beefheart?) (Unbehagen, Nunsexmonkrock)
Crime and the City Solution (similar vibe to Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds but I actually like them more) (Shine, paradise Discotheque)

On the more poppy side
Level 42 (Level 42, World Machine)
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (Architecture and Morality, Crush)
Eurythmics (Sweet Dreams)
New Order (Power Corruption and Lies, Low Life)
ABC (The Lexicon of Love)

And a good chance to plug a great new band I’ve been into (if you like the gothic side of new wave):

Drab Majesty (Careless, The Demonstration)

Edited by HolyMoly - June 13 2019 at 18:28
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 18:34
Spin - same (Ekseption offshoot band)
Lucero - Nobody's Darlings (alt country)
Ultravox - Vienna

Wow, first New Wave pick of Ultravox did not disappoint. 

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!!!   I will check 'em out. 
Thumbs Up

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 18:41
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Led Zeppelin - IV: Normally when I'm driving with my two kids in the back seat, they fight constantly and drive me nuts while I drive them around. Strangely enough, during "Stairway to Heaven" I suddenly realized that it was dead silent in back. I looked and the kids were just sitting there listening to the song, transfixed. As much as I burnt myself out of that tune decades ago, I have renewed appreciation for its sheer power, and for making the car ride less aggravating.

Clap
Certain stuff is timeless and memorable enough to just grab anyone's attention. I notice it too on these reaction videos when young people are exposed to "War Pigs" and "Great Gig in the Sky" and others. Just that look of wonder is cool. 

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 19:14
^ I guess what it does is that I get a remembrance of what it was like to hear such a classic song for the first time when I was young, like I'm hearing it through my kids ears when I see their rapt attention.Big smile

Edited by Prog Sothoth - June 13 2019 at 19:15
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 19:41
That whole Led Zep IV album just has a mystique that is hard to resist. It just makes you look up at it in awe. I remember a small handful of albums like that (the White Album is another).

Yesterday and today I had the honor of carpooling my daughter and 3 of her friends to a summer day camp downtown, an improv comedy theater we’re longtime fans of. So they got to hear the first of these:

Guided by Voices | Earthquake Glue
R. Stevie Moore & the Marlborough | Grease
Nina Hagen | Nunsexmonkrock ( Just recently, inspired by my remembrance above. What a shocking album this is. She’s nuts)
Black Flag | My War
Spirit | Spirit (mono mix)
Chris Rea | Auberge
Bob Dylan | New Morning (maybe the best “comfort” Dylan album out there. Wounded but on the rebound and hopeful)
Esmectatons | @Domingo Cinza
The Knife | Shaking the Habitual
Queen | Queen

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 20:46
Megadeth - Dystopia
Visage - Visage

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 21:28
Black Flag | Damaged
Flipper | Generic
Lou Reed | New York
Soft Machine | Fourth
Sonic Youth | SYR3: Invito a Cielo

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 21:39
^
Blag Flag!  I used to have My War on vinyl. Honestly though I think I prefer the Rollins Band guys...mid-late 90s era.  They were smokin'. 

Need to play some Sonic Youth again. 

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 08:20
Lou Reed | Metal Machine Music — great for an occasional listen.

Spoon | Telephono — again. One of my favorite 90s indie albums. About half the songs are so awesome I can’t pick a favorite.

L. Shankar | Touch Me There — Electric violinist pop/jazz fusion, produced by Zappa, who also co-wrote 2 songs. One such song, Dead Girls of London, was also frequently performed on stage by Zappa and his band from 1979-1982 or so.

Klaus Schulze | Cyborg — great space music, using only a couple of organs and a tape machine. This is the Klaus album I return to most

Big Dipper | Supercluster: The Big Dipper Anthology — really fun/rockin’ power pop band from the late 80s. Boston I think.

Black Flag | In My Head — their last studio album. Pretty weird in that they seem to be complex guitar-based instrumentals, but with Henry on top.

Jade Warrior | Kites
Spiritualized | Royal Albert Hall October 10, 1997

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 14:10
Sunday.

Louis Armstrong.

No further lists needed. Jesus. So incredible. 

patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 19:42
Alan Parsons Project, I, Robot
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 20:42
El Javi, flamenco rock guitarist, playing Led Zeppelin songs, like Immigrant Song and Kashmir, check out on YouTube!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 01:57
Since Friday:
Vespero - Lique Mekwas
Johannes Schmoelling - Wuivend Riet
Phoenician Drive - Phoenician Drive
Can - Soon Over Babluma
Lindstrøm - It's Alright Between Us As It Is
Dallas Campbell - The Seven Sisters and The Serpent
La Coscienza di Zeno - Il Giro del Cappio
Promenade - Noi al Dir di Noi
Hedersleben - Die Neuen Welten
Erenan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 08:48
KC - The ReconstruKction of Light
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 19:32
Last 2 days

Lou Reed | Coney Island Baby — very easygoing Lou. He was in a mellow mood when he made this.

The Dead C | Tusk — New Zealand noisemongers at their noisiest.

Black Flag | Slip it In — much better production than My War, and about 1/2 of this ranks with their best

Funkadelic | America Eats its Young — double album. Musically, it may be their best. No eyebrow-raising novelty tunes, no Eddie Hazel guitar workouts, but it seems Bernie Worrell (organ) is in control and the result is heavy, epic R&B with a lot of variety

Jandek | On the Way — a pretty bluesy effort from Captain Corwood. Better than I recalled.

Belle & Sebastian | How to Solve our Human Problems — recent CD compiling 3 EPs from early 2018. Pretty good but I fear their best days are behind them (10 + years ago with “The Life Pursuit”)

Big Black | Atomizer — Kerosene and Jordan Minnesota are pretty cool. I remember loving the former back in my college days. At least there’s some good bass too. Lack of bass in the mix hurts the early stuff.

Quicksilver Messenger Service | Happy Trails — Bo Diddley jams til the cows come home (Who Do You Love, Mona) plus a weird spaghetti western instrumental turned avant-garde (Cavalry). It’s kind of a single-album analog to Live-Dead, and well worth a listen if you like that one

Jandek | Interstellar Discussion — one of the first Jandek albums I got, and it’s great. The first part is all chaotic electric tunes with crazy singing and drums that seem barely able to keep the beat, followed by 9 acoustic tunes with cocals on a detuned guitar and with a very deranged vocal delivery, always somehow in control.

The Fall | Slates EP — best EP of all time, in my opinion. On different days The Fall is either in my top 5 or top 10 bands, but they’re up there. This one seems to be the break point between their earliest phase and their most fruitful period. A fulcrum, if you will.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 20:19
OMD - Architecture and Morality
Louis Armstrong and the All-Stars - New Orleans Nights
Yes - Time and a Word
Louis Armstrong - Satchmo In Style

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2019 at 11:00
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I had my copy in hand the other day but went with Omega instead. How do you like it?

This week:
Khadavra - Hypnagogia
L'Éclair - Sauropoda
King Crimson - Discipline (I still can't believe I streamed it :P)
Edgar Froese - Stuntman
Space Art - Trip in the Center Head
Omega - Time Robber
Kikagaku Moyo - Kikagaku Moyo
Space Rock: An Interstellar Traveler's Guide (All 6 CD's)
Todd Terje - It's Album Time

I saw my first orchestral concert (not counting Fire! Orchestra :D) last night:
Prokofiev - Violin Concerto nº2
Tchaikovsky - Symphony nº5
Erenan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2019 at 11:02
ELP BSS
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2019 at 13:55
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I had my copy in hand the other day but went with Omega instead. How do you like it?

Can't say it made any impression notable on me.  Then, again, putting anything up next to Louis Armstrong the same day is going to be an ask. 

It was a first-spin, so I need to hear OMD again. Smile

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2019 at 20:01
Kylie Minogue: Kylie: Not sure how she wound up with "Confide in Me", but that earworm melody with the airy vocals really works. The rest of the album is pure early 90's pop; long "sophisticated" dance tunes and new-jack-swing stuff. Love the album cover.

Edenbridge - Shine: I've heard some say Sabine's vocals aren't as powerful as Tarja's from Nightwish...so what? That's kind of the point since Sabine is going for a mature angelic style rather than operatic bombast, and she succeeds as always. Love "The Canterville Ghost", maybe cause I read the story.

Pearl Jam - Ten: Haven't listened to this in eons. I have to say, all these years later, the tune that got me was "Oceans". That's quite a gorgeous little gem. In fact, the second half was more interesting in general since I haven't heard those numbers a million times since I last played this.

Jackie Cohen - Zagg: I got this on yellow vinyl after watching her performance.She's a sweetheart in a nutty sort of way. 

Red Velvet - 'The ReVe Festival' Day 1: Speaking of nutty, the beautiful weirdos of the Kpop world dropped this thing. I can't wrap my head around the bizarre opener, obnoxious dance music on LSD, but everything else is kinda cool.

Death - Symbolic: One of those albums I'm supposed to like, I mean it has all the ingredients, but I honestly can't stand it. Technical as ever, but it never engages me no matter how often I give it a shot. I get so bored after a short while. I'm more into the early Death stuff when they were just thrashier death meanies.

The Birthday Party - Prayers on Fire: The first four songs are so wildly nuts and different that it seems tough to keep the momentum going, and I usually burn out before this finishes. I made it to the end this time, although being old and too lazy to find something else to listen to probably helped.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 328329330331332 522>