Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 333334335336337 521>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 13:21
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ It was my first listen, I heard a few songs from different albums before but her debut struck me as the most interesting, magical as you say. It's one of those rare cases where a young artist gets a great opportunity and the chance to work with the right people right from the start. Although in a completely different genre, it reminded me of Oldfield with Tubular Bells, but Kate is another good example.
The fact that the album has Mellotron in practically every track also doesn't hurt Big smile

Mellotron!  Yes!

This is the performance I still return to sometimes because it reminds me of that first gig. At that show, she commanded when she was at the piano, but when she stood up front holding the mic, she was super self conscious. I felt bad for her....like, it's okay, we're with you! Relax! (And we were. I've never seen such a respectful crowd as that Tidal show. It was like we were all doting relatives at a piano recital. We knew she was nervous and we wanted her to feel okay, so people were super cool and polite.)

On this clip, I still can't get through the last 2 minutes of this performance without a couple of tears. Just a wonderful ability to reach into your heart and make you feel it.

Edited by Finnforest - July 15 2019 at 13:28

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 02:34
^ That's a nice story and a lovely performance Smile

Last two days:
Harmonium - Harmonium
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
Can - Future Days (Feeling a cool Summer breeze at the office.)
Kraftwerk - Computer World
Fiona Apple - Tidal
Rush - A Farewell to Kings
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
Robert Rich - Yearning (Quite a change of pace after that Maiden LOL)
Girón - Forest
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 06:33
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Gentle Giant - In a Glass House
Gentle Giant - The Power and The Glory

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 11:03
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

You only mentioned your two in-laws....I assume your Sibs are there too? What a blast. 
it’s just me, my wife & daughter, my wife’s sister, her husband, and their two dogs. We had a bunch of horses hanging out in our yard eating grass yesterday, and we were standing on the porch admiring them, when a certain Rolling Stones song came up on shuffle (hint: it’s on Sticky Fingers). A real moment.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 14:19
Today:
Vangelis - Chariots of Fire

Something triggered memories today of friends when our schools began desegregating in the 60s/early 70s.  Got a little funky this afternoon!

War - The World is a Ghetto (still love this album and own it)
Parlaiment Funkadelic - Mothership Connection
Curtis Mayfield - Superfly

Edited by AEProgman - July 17 2019 at 17:27
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 20:49
Thelonius Monk - Straight, No Chaser
Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel
Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine
Jethro Tull - Aqualung

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 02:57
^^ I might tap into that Funk later Thumbs Up

Yesterday:
Ash - Twilight of the Innocents (Been listening to this since its release and it never struck me like today. The title track sounded quite epic for my 13 yo ears. The whole album sounds compressed as sh*t for my current ears though.)
Wolmari - Wolmari
Vespero - Lique Mekwas (It should have been my number 1 album of 2016. 75 minutes of awesome Space/Fusion/Afrobeat music.)
NOFX - Punk in Drublic
Klaus Schulze - Kontinuum
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 13:28
Today is my sister in law’s 50th birthday (3 days after mine!) so she has had the upper hand on the music today. She even turned off my “catch all” playlist because a CSN song came in. Classic rock is one of her pet peeves. Can you imagine? So it’s been 80s Spotify Day. Hey, that’s cool with me too.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 15:09
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Thelonius Monk - Straight, No Chaser

Great stuff!
One of my favorite beer that I get when its available is this!  Some of the Proceeds go to Thelonious Monk's Institute of Jazz education.

Image result for brother thelonious beer
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 15:57
^
Wish I could still drink that stuff. Loved the dark heavy stuff, but it wreaks havoc on my stomach. Yum. Have one for me.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 03:02
^^ Looks good, I'd happily drink one of those Thumbs Up

Yesterday:
War - The World is a Ghetto
Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
Nightwish - Oceanborn
Cosmic Ground - II
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 06:06
Picked up a 4 pack of that the other day, don't hit beer as much these days, but when I see these I grab one.  Will be nice to have one over this blistering heat wave we are having right now...miserable.

T. Monk is amazing, he plays with his listeners to me.  When you think is going to hit a note that you think he is going to hit, he will not hit any note...sort of leaves you hanging LOL.

Sam, Did you enjoy some of that funk?

Past day
King Crimson - Wake of the Poseidon
Ry Cooder - Crossroads

Edited by AEProgman - July 19 2019 at 06:32
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 10:59
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

T. Monk is amazing, he plays with his listeners to me.  When you think is going to hit a note that you think he is going to hit, he will not hit any note...sort of leaves you hanging LOL.

Sam, Did you enjoy some of that funk?
I only heard Monk's Dream some years ago and I was rather annoyed by the way he sung the piano parts. Maybe that's part of the appeal for others?

I generally prefer my Funk instrumental but those were cool, especially Superfly.

Nothing new today:
Fiona Apple - Tidal
Taeko Ohnuki - Sunshower
Masayoshi Takanaka ‎– An Insatiable High
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 11:28
The Who - Live at Leeds
Buckingham Nicks
The Kinks - Something Else
Jethro Tull - Stormwatch

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 12:50
^ Much as I have tried, The Kinks just never quite got over the hump for me, not sure why.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 13:02
^
Yeah. Same exact thing here, Jim. I don't trash them. I don't even dislike them, really. It's just a completely forgettable experience for me. But I keep trying to hear the magic!

Thankfully, those other three I played are monsters!

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 21:39
Well just catching up here.
Steve. Happy 50th! Sam. How did you like Maiden’s Somewhere In time disc?
Jim. I love me some Thelonious Monk. Monk’s Dream is a favourite Jazz album of mine.
And to the rest of you. Happy listening. Glad to hear the ears are working well.

Finally got a serious and more concentrated listen this evening. A nice light and heavy set list.

Meiko— Playing Favorites. ( yup. This is one of those super Chesky records audiophile binaural recordings. Wanna hear what your gear can really do? Pop this album on. You won’t be sorry.

Ozzy Osbourne— Dairy Of a Madman. ( it punches and breathes. What a great metal album. Flying high again is such a wicked tune. )

Machine Head— Burn My Eyes. ( this is exquisite. Davidian is one of the best opening tracks. Turn this one up. )

Controlled Bleeding— Songs from the drain. ( quite the head trip this one is. A nice closer. )

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 22:08
^
I'll try Monk's DreamCool Thanks Nicholas!

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 23:11
Tasavallan Presidentti - Lambertland
Tasavallan Presidentti - Milky Way Moses
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 04:37
I'm more of a Clandestine fan than of Left Hand Path, but that title track off LHP is an absolute benchmark of Swe-death. Great song.

Angel Olsen - My Woman: Heralded indie rocker album recommended to me by the young woman who runs my fav coffee shop. I'll have to go the "it was interesting" route when she asks if I liked it since I don't want her to stop serving me! This didn't click with me at all.

Waxahatchee - My Tripp: Yes, another indie girl rocker! This album was quirky, featuring some oddball synth sounds to mix with the rock stuff. Like bedroom indie with a decent production. I kind of liked this one; there's something cute about it.

Waxahatchee - Out in the Storm: She gets more  serious and the production is at a higher level. Competent rock in the vein of the late 90's Lilith Faire gang, but the kookiness is gone. I'm more of a "quirky" than "competent" fan, and if this album wasn't reasonably short, I would have gotten really bored.

King Crimson - LTIA: I love the two title tracks. Both are fantastic for different reasons. Thing is, concerning the other stuff, I wish Wetton's vocals were mixed better, warmer and not so trebly. Something about his tone bugs me too.

King Crimson - S&BB: More jammy, which is cool. "The Night Watch" is so good that I don't even have issues with Wetton's voice for once. Like LTIA, this really goes for that "dynamics" deal, where stuff gets so quiet I think my player just shut the damn album off.

Steady Holiday - Under the Influence: After stumbling on the wonderfully directed and gorgeous video for "Open Water", I figured this was worth a revisit. Damn has my opinion changed...I really dig this now!! Some sweet mellotron usage in certain songs too. Soft, dreamy, mysterious and  not as "samey" as I thought during my initial listen whatsoever. I think I had just binged too much at once on the dreampop scene that I almost let this little gem slip through the cracks.

King Crimsom - Red: Yes I'm not the biggest Wetton fan during this whole era, but it really doesn't detract much from this monster. "Starless" is even admittedly enhanced by his performance. I wish the drums had a more 'rock' production than one suited more to jazz, but other than that, no complaints!

Once Human - Evolution: Female-fronted melodic death metal in the vein of Arch Enemy. Some "djentiness" thrown in on occasion too. I wish her growls had more personality, very androgynous and tiresome after a short while. I'll give some props to actually making usage of having three guitarists; there's always some overlaying melodies going on over the riffs.

Elyose - Reconnexion: Basically a French language Lacuna Coil with a bit more industrial tricks thrown in, the the occasional male accompanying vocalist is a growler rather than a singer. Basically I wasn't really into this. Her voice is okay and women singing in French is a turn-on, but that's it.

Mary's Blood - Confessions: The all-girl Japanese metal act is back, and this is quite a diverse set of tunes. Saki remains my favorite metal guitarist, and not (just) because she's beautiful. Her playing is pure fire, never settling on neo-classical scale runs or other typical w**k, though she could do that stuff in her sleep. Her playing has a feisty personality that I just can't get enough of.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 333334335336337 521>