Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 343344345346347 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 02:33
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Yes - TFTO
Yes - CTTE
Symphony X - Twilight in Olympus
Masterplan - Aeronautics

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sander59 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sander59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 06:15
Right, Airbag is a great band and this album is so far their best. Bjorn Riis will be playing in Holland in October (venue De Boerderij Zoetermeer). Looking forward to it.

Listening to Fear Inoculum I have high expectations of the new Tool album.

November Opeth will be playing in Tivoli Utrecht with support act The Vantage Caravan. Worthwhile to have a listen.

Just renewed the track list on my device, amongst others:
The Vintage Caravan - Gateways
Stream of Passion - A war of our own
Autumn's Mourning - Gotland (title track is awesome, lyrics in Swedish)
United Progressive Fraternity - Planetary Overload part 1.
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Pineapple Thief - Magnolia
Riverside - Love, Fear and the Time Machine

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 06:16
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Two or three times each summer, I drive back to the park/playground I grew up on. I wait for a perfect weather morning and across town I go, parking in the small lot in the back near where the baseball diamond used to be. Floyd's "More" is often my soundtrack. I'll play that while I let the memories wash over me.  Weird perhaps, but it comforts me. Eventually I get out and take a long walk through the old neighborhood and back to the park. Time goes so fast. Lotta ghost voices and laughter in my head whenever I'm there. So much comes back to me when I take that walk. It's therapeutic in a way. I think I'll do it every summer as long as I live. Childhood is long gone, but when I'm there, I can feel it briefly. What a time I had. 

"Voice" is the Carpenter posthumous release with Karen's last studio vocals. While the youthful early 70s vibe is gone, her voice is as beautiful as ever on her last songs.

Very nice therapy indeed!  I wish I lived closer to where I grew up, a small town where I still remember when the 1rst stop light was put in and we would ride our bikes through it like it was a big deal LOL.  Every once in a while I will go to the Google maps and zoom in to street level of my hometown and reminisce as I move through the "virtual" streets.

Karen's vocals were remarkable! 

Friday:
Brian May - Into the Light (he is an excellent vocalist, he should have kept Queen going as a trio...though no one could replace Freddie's stage presence)

Saturday (while using noise canceling headphones on the riding mower LOL)
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe' (sang along like a blithering idiot)
Santana - Abraxas
Blue Oyster Cult - Fire of Unknown Origin (1rst time hearing this in its entirety, very good album)
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 07:52
^
Right, Jim. The Google street views is one of the best things about the internet. Literally can travel almost anywhere. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 15:34
Ace - Five-a-Side
Tal Wilkenfeld - Love Remains
Bangles - Greatest Hits

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 02:04
Yes - TFTO
Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity
Gorguts - Obscura
Venom Prison - Samsara
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Carcass - Heartwork

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 17:11
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Venom Prison - Samsara
Hmmm...I'll be talkin' 'bout that...

Rollins Band -  The End of Silence: Cool at first, like a major pre-curser to the late 90's heavy stuff that was all the rage, but better. Still, at the halfway mark, the songs get quite long and it becomes somewhat of a slog. Not a "bad" slog, but still a slog, and a slog is a slog. Some cool parts though, and jazzy musicianship.

Rollins Band - Get Some Go Again: Oh this is more like it! Henry isn't hitting as hard in the yelling department, but it works perfectly with the bluesier sound. The production is monstrous with a great guitar sound, and the solos are top-tier pentatonics. The last long track isn't something I'd play all that much (funny as it is), but I was really feeeling this album, driving faster than I should down side streets.

Meg & Dia - Happysad: Yeah. Meg & Dia. Meg AND Dia. MEG AND DIA! Are you feeling lonely? Feelin' HARD? Thinking 'bout that faucet drip? Because Meg & Dia are back. Steppin' out of the shadows. Wearin' boots. Big boots. BIG BLACK LOOOOOONG BOOTS!!! (yeah, I've been listening to way too much Henry...gotta stop).

Venom Prison - Samsara: Total finger-flying death metal, very brutal with a female vocalist. The production was killing me though. No dynamics that I could tell, everything at 10 (or 11). The first song hit hard, and that was cool, but by about the fourth track I was getting annoyed with the overall sound. I couldn't get hooked by any sick riffs.

Tomb Mold - Planetary Clairvoyance: Wow, now this is more my speed (well, at the time...I don't mind blast-o-ramas on occasion). Interesting stuff, but it's the mammoth riffs that totally win it over for me. Geat death growls as well. One of the best metal albums I've heard this year.

Magic Circle - Departed Souls: Black Sabbath from Master of Reality to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath with a heavy focus on Vol 4. Not only does the singer have that Ozzy tone (though more refined with a bit of Ian Gillian thrown in); he even throws in some of Ozzy's quirks, like saying "Yeah!" on occasion after the final verse. The only thing making this "modern" doom metal is that the rhythm section lacks the looseness and occasional jazziness of the masters.

Charli XCX - True Romance: Was in the mood for some POP. This fetching Brit woman seemed to have cool cred, so I checked out this debut. Strange. Dancy bubblegum pop clashing with total darkwave, overlaying each other to create this weird form of pop. Can't say I'm a total fan, but this was way more interesting than your typical "top ten" hit-list. I remember liking a few of these songs, like the last one.

Charli XCX - Sucker: More poppy, but with some guitars thrown in, and the same level of cussing. None of the gloom of her debut; more like a bunch of party tunes about getting wasted all the time. Really vapid stuff. Clearly aimed more for the charts this go-round, and thus it got boring since only a few songs had decent hooks. I gave up towards the end. Next!

Charli XCX - Pop 2: Eh why not, heard this was way more experimental. It's odd for sure, with some neat electronica bits and cool percussion programming, but many of the guest appearences (and there's a ton) ruin the flow. You have this girl laying her feelings out there only for some loser rapper to suddenly chime in about "bitches and bling". Kills the songs for me. No rap crap on the last tune though, which was worth the slog through the rest of this. "Track 10" was actually awesome...the whole album should've been like that one.

Edited by Prog Sothoth - August 19 2019 at 17:15
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 19:23
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Venom Prison - Samsara

Rollins Band - Get Some Go Again: Oh this is more like it! Henry isn't hitting as hard in the yelling department, but it works perfectly with the bluesier sound. The production is monstrous with a great guitar sound, and the solos are top-tier pentatonics. The last long track isn't something I'd play all that much (funny as it is), but I was really feeeling this album, driving faster than I should down side streets.

Image result for headbanging emoji

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 19:29
Yeah, thanks for the rec! I probably wouldn't have given it a shot otherwise, and I'd be seriously missing out!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 20:10
^
There's two other albums with that Mother Superior line-up.

Nice is a more streamlined version, not as thunderously kickass somehow as Get Some, but still good workout music.

And then there is a live album with that line-up that is pretty hot, although if you only plan to splurge on one of these titles, Get Some is the one I'd pick.  And LA Money Train is hilarious but I'd guess most Rollins fans only play it periodically.  It's almost stand-up/spoken word spiel.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 02:48
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

^^ yes, thank you once again for that review you wrote for my birthday ! That was very thoughtful. It may be the first time I read the term “library music”, a concept that interests me to this day. I haven’t really found many other albums like that one, maybe I should ask for some in a new thread.

Re: Cluster, I am just starting to get into them, not sure what took me so long. Probably because I associated them with Eno and I’m not in the habit of buying Eno albums (though I have several). But the. I happened upon the Cluster & Eno album in a used bin and it exceeded my expectations. A little more digging and I became more interested. I’ve got a few of their albums now, including the one you listed.

If you’re curious about socalled ‘library music’ I’d recommend you ask Greg (Logan) for some recs. He is the man regarding said obscurities...but yeah I’d personally recommend you check out a guy like Egisto Macchi
Those Italians eh?
Gotta see if I can stretch myself to other countries when making sweeping recs

I absolutely love Cluster...when I’m in the mood. They’re a bit like olives to me. Highly unique flavour that works oh so well at the right moment. I usually don’t dig Zuckerzeit all that much compared to what it’s surrounded by, but this time it worked a treat. Maybe far too much sun to the old cabeza welcomes such hibernating albums and effectively wakes one up to another way of listening. Who cares when the music flows

Yesterday:
Die Wilde Jagd - Uhrwald Orange (surprise surprise!)
Kim Larsen - Værsgo
Povl Dissing - Jeg er en tosset Spillemand
Taj Mahal Travellers - Live 1972
Secret Oyster - Vidunderlige Kælling
Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings And Food
Kluster - Klopfzeichen (such a headscratcher of an album...even more so when you take into account that this proto-industrial electronic album was sponsored by the local church’s inhouse organist )
Simple Minds - Empires & Dance (perhaps my fave album of theirs)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 03:59
^ It's the same way for me with Cluster. Zuckerzeit always works with the local weather though Wink

Last two days, a lot of early 80's Portuguese Pop Rock and Les Porches for the forth time this week Big smile
Lena d'Água - Perto de Ti
Salada de Frutas - Se Cá Nevasse...
Banda do Casaco - Também Eu
Jorge Palma - Acto Contínuo
Maneige - Les Porches
Acid Rooster - Acid Rooster
Breidablik - Nhoohr
Rui Veloso - Guardador de Margens
Can - Tago Mago
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 06:43
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans

Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 07:21
FZ - Joe's Menage (live show from the late '75 line-up). Pretty decent show for such a stripped-down band.
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 07:40
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ It's the same way for me with Cluster. Zuckerzeit always works with the local weather though Wink

Last two days, a lot of early 80's Portuguese Pop Rock and Les Porches for the forth time this week Big smile
Lena d'Água - Perto de Ti
Salada de Frutas - Se Cá Nevasse...
Banda do Casaco - Também Eu
Jorge Palma - Acto Contínuo
Maneige - Les Porches
Acid Rooster - Acid Rooster
Breidablik - Nhoohr
Rui Veloso - Guardador de Margens
Can - Tago Mago

Hey maybe that is why it worked here in Greece’s 35+ degrees
I had the same experience with Igor Wakhevitch some years ago...though I was visiting Malta.
‘Hey this music is far too strange for my upstairs compartment to handle!!!’
‘Why don’t you try it in flaming heat with sun creme in your eyes and a dehydrated nervous system?...works a treat!’
‘Oh yeah, score That was indeed what was missing from the equation!’

Been meaning to tell you that I’ve been spinning the Jorge Palma album you sent quite a bit before I went on vacation. It is quite simply stunning I hate the fact that I forgot to make some mp3s of it so as to continue my love affair with it.
Oh well you live and learn.
I have on the other hand a couple of albums that sort of remind me of it..though in slightly different ways: Pescado Rabioso’s Artaud, Milton Nascimento’s Clube das Màquinas as well as Lucio Battisti’s masterpiece Anima Latina.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sander59 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sander59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 08:40
You might take a look on bandcamp or metaltracker. There's an awful lot to discover on these sites.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 09:22
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hey maybe that is why it worked here in Greece’s 35+ degrees
I had the same experience with Igor Wakhevitch some years ago...though I was visiting Malta.
‘Hey this music is far too strange for my upstairs compartment to handle!!!’
‘Why don’t you try it in flaming heat with sun creme in your eyes and a dehydrated nervous system?...works a treat!’
‘Oh yeah, score That was indeed what was missing from the equation!’

Been meaning to tell you that I’ve been spinning the Jorge Palma album you sent quite a bit before I went on vacation. It is quite simply stunning I hate the fact that I forgot to make some mp3s of it so as to continue my love affair with it.
Oh well you live and learn.
I have on the other hand a couple of albums that sort of remind me of it..though in slightly different ways: Pescado Rabioso’s Artaud, Milton Nascimento’s Clube das Màquinas as well as Lucio Battisti’s masterpiece Anima Latina.
It's been a while since I listened to Igor Wakhevitch but the first word that comes to mind when I think of his music is boiling Tongue

That's great to hear Approve The Battisti comparison is about right, not Prog but close. Eh, I only truly heard Palma when Pierre mentioned that debut on a RPI thread. I guess he'd be on PA if he was Italian Tongue
If you feel like listening to other albums from him, although it will never get as proggy as the debut, that "Acto Contínuo" is my second favourite. It was recorded live in the studio and the ambience is just lovely. It's a double album and has a some weaker moments though.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 14:10
Good old Pierre
He has turned me onto some great stuff as well...though never anything from my home country
As you know I am not at all averse to music that isn’t prog..so I gather I will be picking that double Palma album up some time soon. Thanks for the heads up my friend

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 21:59
The Fall | This Nation’s Saving Grace — probably my favorite. Dark grooves and and a lot of Can influence. Plus Brix comes up with some tasty guutar licks as well as her signature song “LA”.

Golden Earring | Live — favorite live album of all time. The mid-70s peak of the band’s proggy period, with lengthy takes on lengthy songs that all surpass their studio versions (yes, even Radar Love)

Supersister | Present from Nancy — fantastic Canterbury-ish early 70s Dutch music.

The Yardbirds | Roger the Engineer — truly fun and eclectic Jeff Beck showcase. They’ll never be taken as seriously as the greats from that period, but they’re lots of fun to listen to.

The Who | Magic Bus — oddball US-only compilation of stray singles and b-sides. Has some of their most eccentric songs from the late 60s, many by John Entwistle (“Doctor Doctor” etc)

This Kind of Punishment | A Beard of Bees — early 80 New Zealand low-key post punk led by Peter and Graeme Jefferies. Closest in spirit to John Cale.

Moon Men | 3 — brand new jazzy/avant/spontaneous creations by multi instrumentalist Bret Hart and others, including Dave Newhouse.

Spirit | Spirit 1984 — mostly remakes of earlier stuff, plus some new 80s tracks. A little corny but it’s good for an occasional spin

Steve Miller Band | Sailor — classic ‘68 album with West coast psych and Boz Scaggs still in the band. Early SMB is the shiz.

The Stranglers | The Meninblack — odd synth-based concept album. Very intriguing and adventurous, though not immediately likable

Pavement | Terror Twilight — the final album of theirs, kind of closer to Stephen Malkmus solo albums than the other band albums. His solo albums are great too, so this hits the spot.

Beach Boys | Smiley Smile — what a goofy album. It’s kind of slight and insubstantial but what’s here is eccentric as heck. And hearing Good Vibrations in the middle of it all is even more bizarre. I will take this opportunity to say, however, that I’ve never really liked the classic “Heroes and Villains” song. It just doesn’t hold together well.

Banco | Garofano Rosso — one of my favorite Bancos, along with “...di Terra”

Deep Purple | Fireball — “Demon’s Eye” may be my favorite DP song. Just a blues based song, but man what a great organ/guitar groove, and a great vocal too.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 08:42
Love those instrumental Banco albums as well Steve. I was never that fond of the opera vocals up front although I know I am in the minority on that one.
The early Steve Miller Band albums are also my faves..by quite the margin. I love how they managed to shift what they learned during their time as Chuck Berry’s backing band into the psychedelic whims of the late 60s. May just have to spin Children Of The Future tonight.

Today:
Embryo - Opal
Charles Gainsburg w/ Vannier - Histoire de Melody Nelson
Miles Davis - A Tribute to Jack Johnson
Needlepoint - Aimless Mary (I somehow forgot to listen to my new fave band for...what?..close to a week!!! Madness! Canterburian connoisseurs step right up!)
The Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup
Edgar Broughton Band - Sing Brother Sing! (unjustly overlooked band and album that needs more listens from folks in the know. You’ll love them..I promise )
Vangelis - The Dragon (Still my fave from the Greek master, although he probably hates it with a vengeance)

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 21 2019 at 08:43

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 343344345346347 522>