Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 09:29
Tonight's choices:

Ars Nova/Gerard – Keyboard Triangle
Finneus Gauge – One Inch of the Fall
Mostly Autumn – The Lords of the Rings
IQ - Frequency
Kotobel – Concerto for Piano and Electric Guitar
Mad Fellaz – 2
Steve Roach – Sigh of Ages
Magma – Hhai/Live

K2 – Book of the Dead - considered a pretty special Neo album, with Allan Holdsworth (U.K/Soft Machine, etc) on guitar...but damn the vocals are beyond dreary (and just ever so slightly flat in parts) and suck a lot of the energy out of the disc. The playing is pretty wonderful and reliably `proggy' though...
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 11:50
^Magma - Hhai is a masterpiece!, remade what Kohntarkosz made, and make it much better with beautiful original song like Hhai, have you seen this:
Simply amazing!
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 12:29
Gong - Radio Gnome Invisible vol 1 
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 13:09
Hal Garper - The Guerilla Band José, you'll love this one, mate! It's great Fender Rhodes-driven jazz-fusion with hints of what sounds like Canterbury at times. Amazing horns and great guitar playing. Really, all of you guys, check this one out. It's superb!
Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka I prefer 1968-71 Zappa to this, but this is undeniably great material. Great, great album.
Igor Wakhevitch - Docteur Faust Wakhevitch is such an amazing composer, this music is so original. I feel, though, this album is perhaps a bit to much on a tired Friday night.  Tongue

Edited by ALotOfBottle - October 21 2016 at 13:10
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 16:54
Today, so far...

Haken - Affinity (Didn't care for this on first listen, now it might end being my album of the year.)
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 23:13
Steely Dan - "Aja"
Steely Dan - "The Royal Scam"
Steely Dan - "Aja"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 12:48
Nucleus - Solar Plexus Very nice album. Although I like Nucleus less funky and energetic than on this album, it all works out really well here. Dissonant electronic intro and outro are delicious touches.

Philip Glass - Music With Changing Parts Great music for working. It's Glass' first album, but, for me, he got everything I like about his music right here. Excellent album, I love it.

Matching Mole - Little Red Record An old favorite of mine, which I don't think I need to talk about other than repeating that it's superb!

Igor Stravinsky - Concerto in E-flat (Dumbarton Oaks)  One of my top Stravinsky pieces, this one has a special charm that not all too many compositions have. The last movement is especially intoxicating.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 19:40
Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Music
Thelonious Monk - Straight, No Chaser
Lights in a Fat City - Sound Column
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 21:43
Rush - Permanent Waves - THE SPIRIT OF RADIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool Honestly, this has to be my favourite Rush album. And The Spirit of Radio may very well be my favourite Canadian song, period. It defines rock. I don't think anyone else has ever written a song with so much raw, upbeat, resounding energy to it. And the production is top notch, too; the only thing that could possibly give away the fact that this came out in the early 80's is the fact that they're singing about enjoying listening to the radio. LOL 

Aside from the opener, which is Rush numero uno for me, the album still kicks butt in its consistency. Freewill is another classic and, unlike all the Rush albums before it, I actually feel like the long tracks have enough quality ideas floating around in them to warrant breaking the 7-minute mark. The only song I don't really care for is Entre Nous, but Natural Science more than makes up for it. Great album, eh!

Molly Hatchet - Take No Prisoners - By every measurable metric, this has got to be one of the worst albums ever recorded, but I just can't get enough of it! LOL Everything about this record is totally over-the-top in such a spectacularly laughable fashion that it becomes so much fun to put on and lose brain cells to. Bloody Reunion and Long Tall Sally are genuinely good hard rock tracks on their own, and always get me headbanging along, but where Molly Hatchet really works the magic here is the other 8 tracks, all of which sit at 1 star in my iTunes library, but I love them to death. Man, if you didn't think self-indulgent cheese could happen outside of prog, look no further! Just when I thought it couldn't get any more comedic with the excessively cliche Loss of Control (look ma, another hard rock song singing about being in a touring band), Lady Luck comes on and they add in a f**king horn section! A horn section! LOL I hadn't listened to this one in a while but I'm so glad it came on on shuffle; I forgot just how funny music can be.

And just get a load of the cover:

There's so much that's wrong with it that it becomes right again! LOL
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 21:56
King Crimson - "Red"
Steely Dan - "Pretzel Logic"
U2 - "All That You Can't Leave Behind"
Steely Dan - "Aja"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 23:43
Saturday...

Electric Octopus - Under A Black Moon  (Belfast, Northern Ireland  2016)   Instrumental, funk, jazz, improvised jams   (second listen - excellent)
Grandloom - 5 Dollar Jam  (Cottbus, Germany  2012)  Instrumental psychedelic stoner rock trio 
Grandloom - Sunburst  (Cottbus, Germany  2011)   Instrumental psychedelic stoner rock trio 
Brunt - Blackbeard  (Guernsey  2014)  Instrumental psychedelic, desert, stoner trio 
Brutus - Behind The Mountains  (Norway/Sweden  2013)   Psychedelic hard rock (according to the band)
Mountain Kings - Thorn And Bone  (New Jersey  2014)   Psych, doom, sludge, stoner  (one man band)

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 03:20
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

K2 – Book of the Dead - considered a pretty special Neo album, with Allan Holdsworth (U.K/Soft Machine, etc) on guitar...but damn the vocals are beyond dreary (and just ever so slightly flat in parts) and suck a lot of the energy out of the disc. The playing is pretty wonderful and reliably `proggy' though...
Mike I actually really like that K2 album, it must have been one of my first Neo purchases long time ago, it was before I found out I don't like Neo so much... but this album is really good, not that I remember any note from it LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 03:56
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Mike I actually really like that K2 album, it must have been one of my first Neo purchases long time ago, it was before I found out I don't like Neo so much... but this album is really good, not that I remember any note from it LOL

You've probably got a pretty good one in your collection then, Sagi, because the playing (especialy Holdsworth's) takes it in further directions than the Neo style normally would. You can definitely hear traces of U.K in it here and there!

I first came across it in a local second hand store (well, local, but it's a fifteen minute drive from my place, so it sometimes still feels a bit `out of the way' to go to all the time! ), I looked at it and thought `I'm certain this is a pretty highly regarded prog disc', so when I got home I explored it further and decided I'd pick it up next time I'm down there if it's still there. Cut to several months of popping in out and out of the shop, completely fogetting to look for it again! But this shop had a 40th anniversary sale on the weekend with 20% off everything (with a sneaky tip-off for people on Facebook that it's also available on Friday), so I popped in before work, and I FINALLY remembered to look for it, and sure enough it was still there!

I do think it's (instrumentally) very good, but the vocals are just kind of draining. They're like one of the earlier Arena vocalists trying to imitate Peter Gabriel but without the actual range to pull it off. I also noticed the album completely comes alive when the singing stops! Still, no regrets, I didn't pay much for it at all.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 05:53
Tonight's choices:

Haken - Affinity
Headspace – All That You Fear is Gone
Hawkwind – The Machine Stops
Blakulla – s/t
Tim Blake – New Jerusalem
Jethro Tull – Thick as a Brick
Michael Bruckner – The Giant Illusion
Periplo – Diario di un Malessere Passeggero
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 06:59
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

^Great list, David! Just over a month ago, I have attended an SBB gig here in Lublin and got to talk with Józef, the amazing keyboardist and bassist. He's also a great guy. How do you like Kobaia as to other Magma albums? On some days, I like it even more than Centigrades and MDK. However, all three have already been my #1 at one point or another and it changes everyday.

Thanks man.
Sorry for the late reply, but I am really bad at keeping up with my posts these daysEmbarrassed

I am very jealous of you - would have loved to see SBB in the flesh - especially after Jerzy has re-joined the ranks. He is one of my alltime favourite drummers.
As for Magma? I mostly spin Kobaia or their live albums these days. Like many here will attest to: most everything they've ever done in the studio is considerably better in a live setting. Kobaia though retains a "freshness" to it's recording that I really dig. Maybe it's because it sounds live in the studio? 
Used to be big on Köhntarkösh - and well I still am - but haven't really spun it for a while. I think I may remedy that tonightBig smile

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 12:39
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

As for Magma? I mostly spin Kobaia or their live albums these days. Like many here will attest to: most everything they've ever done in the studio is considerably better in a live setting. Kobaia though retains a "freshness" to it's recording that I really dig. Maybe it's because it sounds live in the studio?

For what I know, it definitely sounds pretty rough, but in a good way, if that makes any sense. At any rate, great record!

Pekka Airaksinen - Buddhas of Golden Light Unbelieveable blend of drum machine-driven new-age ambient and avant-jazz. This is really high quality music, mainly improvised, but it does not feel like it. Pekka has definitely caught a magic moment in time on this one. Highly recommended to anyone willing to spread their musical horizons.

The Muffins - Manna/Mirage An old favorite of mine. The amount of riffs, motifs, and passages these guys have got in store is truly astonishing. The material sounds perfectly polished and well-thought. Excellent.

Univers Zero - Univers Zero (1313) This is my personal favorite Univers Zero album, although I love most of their output. This one, however, has, in my opinion, a very special delivery. A bit more rock-y perhaps, but by no means less ambitious.

Brainstorm - Smile a While A new discovery of mine. I had never heard of these guys until a few days ago, though their music is definitely very much up my alley. Sort of Zappa-ish, but also clearly influenced by Soft Machine and Nucleus. You need to check this one out, if you haven't.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 16:13
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (what a cliched choice...)
Meredith Monk - Turtle Dreams
Lydia Lunch - The Drowning (anyone need a good Halloween album?)
Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka
Present - Triskaidekaphobie
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 20:08
Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece
Van Morrison - St. Dominic's Preview

andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 20:23
I Giganti - Terra in Bocca
Henry Cow - LegEnd
Henry Cow - Unrest
Zamla Mammaz Manna - Familjesprickor
Eskaton - 4 Visions 
Martröđ - Transmutation of Wounds
Skáphe - Skáphe˛
Sigh - Imaginary Soundscape

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 22:07
Steely Dan - "Aja"
Steely Dan - "Katy Lied"
dxct - "Tea EP"
Steely Dan - "Katy Lied"
Steely Dan - "Katy Lied"
Steely Dan - "Can't Buy a Thrill"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 522>