Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 521>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2016 at 19:15
Miranda Sex Garden - Iris
Yes - Close to the Edge
Andrew Hill - Compulsion
Tony Conrad and Faust - Outside the Dream Syndicate
Lights in a Fat City - Sound Column
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2016 at 21:07
maudlin of the Well  - "Leaving Your Body Map"
Brian Eno with Daniel Lanois & Roger Eno - "Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks"
C418 - "Minecraft - Volume Alpha"
Brian Eno - "Ambient 1: Music for Airports"
Brian Eno - "Ambient 1: Music for Airports"
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2016 at 21:09
Triumph - Never Surrender
Little Feat - Dixie Chicken
Porcupine Tree - Octane Twisted. 

We watched the live Octane dvd again tonight and it's really good.  Everyone, but especially Wesley and Edwin are playing so beautifully, creating such atmosphere.  I'll never understand why The Incident was trashed so badly.  Although I was surprised to see that according to our PA bio, Incident was the most successful PT album worldwide.  I would have thought the previous 3 outsold it but I suppose during the 2000s PT were adding fans with each successive album, so maybe it does make sense.

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2016 at 22:02
Molly Hatchet - Molly Hatchet - This one is about half and half Southern Rock classics and mediocre numbers. The classics: Bounty Hunter, Gator Country, Big Apple, and Trust Your Old Friend. These are four of my favourite songs from the band, and the latter in particular is one of my favourite songs period. Such a bright feel to the guitar sound, and such a deep swing from the band. There's a very "driving into the sunset" type of vibe to this one. Not crazy about the Allman Brothers cover Dreams I'll Never See, but I suppose that all in all this album laid the foundation for Flirtin' With Disaster, one of the finest rock records of the late 70's. 

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Best of The Rest - Technically not an album but a compilation, and I only listened to the first two songs (which were previously unreleased demos). The opener is one of Skynyrd's best tracks: I've Been Your Fool. Love it, love it, love it! This one definitely should have been on one of their studio albums. It's got it all. Hyper-sassy lyrics, a double slide co-lead from Gary and Allen, and a breakneck tempo. If you look up "honky tonk" in the dictionary, they should refer you to this one.

Rush - Hemispheres - Really not a fan of this one at all. The entire first side is a write-off as far as I'm concerned; completely meandering and overdone. There's probably about 43 seconds worth of quality ideas in here, but sure enough, they had to fill a side of vinyl, so what can ya do? However,The Trees and La Villa aren't too bad; quite good hard rock tracks, really. Nothing too special, though.

Acqua Fragile - Acqua Fragile - My first prog adventure of the day (listening wise that is; I don't think anyone here would be too interested in hearing about my weekend quest). I'm receiving this much better than the first time I put it on. The English vocals are actually quite good. Of course, I can't get over the fact that just about this entire album sounds like blatant cloning of various British bands. The opening track is a serious throwback to the compositional style of many an early Genesis epic, namely Looking For Someone. And the song right after it is obvious Gentle Giant cloning. There's no doubt that the music on here is high calibre and well-performed, but it's not nearly original enough that I'd consider buying it.

Il Balletto Di Bronzo - Ys - Ah, the mighty Ys. Perhaps I don't get quite as amped up by this one as, say, Micky, but it's still keyboard lover's nirvana. I've gotta say, though, Micky's right when he says this is the sonic equivalent of getting your head beaten by a 2 by 4 for 40 minutes. In an awesome way, of course. If anyone has any doubts that prog can rock, this is one of the textbook albums to prove them wrong.

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2016 at 22:21
^
Totally agree on Hemispheres....although I enjoy Circumstances and La Villa. 

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 01:17
Saturday...

Cloud - Indeterminate  Pittsburgh, PA  2016)   Instrumental, atmospheric, stoner, doom 
Summoner - Atlantian  (Boston, MA  2013)   Atmospheric rock, stoner, doom  
Velvet Elvis - Heavy Heads  (Rochester, NY  2013)   Psychedelic blues rock, stoner rock 
Vessel - Nostalgia  (Melbourne, Australia  2016)   Hard rock, psych, stoner, metal 
Black Moon Circle - Sea Of Clouds  (Trondheim, Norway  2016)   Dark psychedelic space rock with long jams  (band quote)
Megaritual - Mantra Music  (Australia  2016)   Psychedelic, doom, raga (collection from the first two EPs) All instruments and vocals by Dale Paul Walker (Sun Of Man)
Yuri Gagarin - At The Center Of All Infinity  (Gothenburg, Sweden  2015)   Heavy instrumental psychedelic space rock 

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 01:40
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Ian Carr with Nucleus - Belladonna Outstanding album, I am really digging Nucleus recently. Although this is one of their lower rated albums from the classic era, I probably even like it even more than Elastic Rock. Great ballance between all of the elements that make the band. Great keyboard playing and magnificent guitar work from Allan Holdsworth himself.

Oh yeah man!   I love Nucleus and I'm not even a huge jazz head.  Great stuff.  I only have a couple of their mid 70s albums so far. 

This one is 1972, so it's technically still an earlier album of theirs. I have not investigated the releases after this one, among which is Under the Sun, which seems to get high ratings. Loads of stuff to check out. Great band.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 09:49
Finally! A day of rest. A very happy Sunday thus far. :)

Iced Earth-- the Glorious Burden
David Bowie-- Blackstar
Threshold-- March in progress
Mudvayne-- LD.50
The Mission-- Carved in Sand (live at sheppards Busch empire 2007)
Pink Floyd-- AMLOR
Amadeus (Neville Marriner)-- music from the motion picture
Pet Shop boys-- Elysium
Fields of The Nephilim-- Earth Inferno ( I'm still honoring that Halloween spirit.)

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 09:53
Hey Nick, ever since you mentioned Gabriel's `Up' a few weeks ago I've been trying to find my CD of it, but I've obviously accidently put it away in a cupboard with several boxes of albums that I don't really listen to as much any more! So to get to it will mean putting aside at least an hour to go through all these boxes! Dammit, I'm hanging to listen to it again, I truly believe it's the best solo album he ever put out.

Hope you're doing well, mate, good to see you as always.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 09:53

^

Meeeeeee tooooo!
La villa strangiato is one of those 'bench mark' drumming tracks.
Peart is outta of his mind on that one. :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 10:01
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Hey Nick, ever since you mentioned Gabriel's `Up' a few weeks ago I've been trying to find my CD of it, but I've obviously accidently put it away in a cupboard with several boxes of albums that I don't really listen to as much any more! So to get to it will mean putting aside at least an hour to go through all these boxes! Dammit, I'm hanging to listen to it again, I truly believe it's the best solo album he ever put out.

Hope you're doing well, mate, good to see you as always.

Hello my dear man!
Buddy, that is heart-breaking to hear. If it were me I'd tear apart my home if I really had the itch to listen to it...believe me I still do!! I'm 100% with you, Michael.
UP is certainly PG's album where there is absolutely no down. :)
I really hope you find it...don't give up! :)

I also apologize from being a bit wayward. Just a bit too busy lately, but things will slow down soon so that means more prog and related discussions on here with you and everyone else in this thread.

Now find that album!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 10:13
It's all good, man, just cool to see you when you do pop in or on Facebook.

Been busy too, buddy....we had the Steven Wilson concert here last weekend, plus a record Fair, and Tom Ozric was back down in Melbourne for both which was cool. I even got backstage and got a few autographs of albums....all except mr Wilson himself though, sadly!

As for that Gabriel album, the worst thing is, I came across it at a sale at that second hand music shop I go to all the time, $5 they wanted for it....I looked at it and thought `It would probably be easier just to buy the damn thing again here now than spend all that time trying to find it....'

Alas, I left if there....the search will begin shortly!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 10:32
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

It's all good, man, just cool to see you when you do pop in or on Facebook.

Been busy too, buddy....we had the Steven Wilson concert here last weekend, plus a record Fair, and Tom Ozric was back down in Melbourne for both which was cool. I even got backstage and got a few autographs of albums....all except mr Wilson himself though, sadly!

As for that Gabriel album, the worst thing is, I came across it at a sale at that second hand music shop I go to all the time, $5 they wanted for it....I looked at it and thought `It would probably be easier just to buy the damn thing again here now than spend all that time trying to find it....'

Alas, I left if there....the search will begin shortly!

Of course. I love keeping in touch. PA is a big part of my musical family.
Also, love that you got SW autographs except from the man himself...that made me laugh.
Anyway, glad you and TOM got to join awesome prog forces and enjoy some quality music.
I really liked 'the hand that cannot erase.' Perfect life is my favourite track. It's got so much depth for me. Lots of sweet ambience.

Now find that album!!
Just think of how satisfying it will be once you hold that precious album in your hand.
I love the album cover too. "Sky Blue' really has it's clutches in me.
Oh and the "Growing up live" on blu ray is really amazing. It's worth buying if you already haven't.

I gotta go back into my musical la la land, but I sure hope to hear that you found that gem of an album real soon.
God! Now I wanna hear SIGNAL TO NOISE!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 10:45
I loved how dark and `off' sounding `My Head Sounds Like That' was!

I do have the `Growing Up' DVD, got it the day it came out, but sadly blu-rays hadn't quite kicked in at that point, otherwise I would have just bought that! I've become quite the blu-ray snob these days! Most times when I see a brand new 2016 release of a concert and it's only on DVD, I usually just roll my eyes and think `Pfft, what man would want you now?!' I'll admit, it's a bit of an instant `won't bother' for me then in a lot of cases!
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 12:22
Anthony Braxton - Four Compositions Excellent! Free-jazz, but not. At times you can't tell if it's improvised or just composed in a very unorthodox way. Nonetheless, this album delivers a very original sound. The extensive use of clarinet (the sound of which I really like) instead of sax also adds to the already-great flavor.

Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel I was feeling drone-y, so I looked around and thought of this. Although this is not drone per se, it sure does have quite a few of the characteristics of this then-crawling style. Love this album with all my heart, Manuel Göttsching is likely my favorite guitarist of all time. You can feel the chemistry of the band, it definitely clicked.

Henry Cow - In Praise of Learning I'll admit it: this has always been my least-favorite Henry Cow album, but people often take that as if I did not like it. Nothing further from truth. I really like this record. Every track is sublime and distinctive, my favorite being "War", which, despite its short length, sums up the whole atmosphere of the album. "Living in the Heart of the Beast" is another stunning piece.

Soft Machine - Bundles Of course, it's no 1970-71 era Soft Machine, from the time where I feel they were one of the best bands around, but it's an excellent jazz-fusion album. The band works together really well and the album flows really naturally. Great keyboards from Mike Ratledge and Karl Jenkins alike. Allan Holdsworth's guitar playing is stunning, but I feel just a tad all over the place at times. Fabulous album!

Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 16:01
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

^ you got it, Audun. I put ice cream over cake anyway. ;)
And just ghosts for you in the NIN catalog??! Such a sin!
Seriously though. Try out the 'girl with the dragon tattoo' soundtrack.
Reznor and Atticus Ross are up to their usual tricks on that one. I have the 3 disc edition. It's amazing and I know you'll enjoy it. :)
Yup, ice cream FTW! LOL

From what I've heard, yes. Cry

I've seen the movie, but don't remember anything from the soundtrack. Will check it out if I get the chance.
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Yeah, there's a couple of tracks on side 4 of PG I can do without as well ("Boogie with Stu" and "Black Country Woman"), but the rest of it I like. I have more problems with "Kashmir" myself. Sleepy

B&B are crazy, that's true. Crazy good that is. Wink
Really? Got to love the Mellotron on that one Smile
Yeah, but it's just too samey for me, too repetitive, so it gets boring really fast.

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Agusa - TVA  (Malmo, Sweden  2015)   Instrumental / Psychedelic Space Rock  (with a bit of Folk) 
Here's an album I forgot to check out last year Embarrassed
Definitely check out the Agusa album. I also like Katarsis (live) that came out last month.  Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
I second the Agusa - Två recommendation. Thumbs UpThumbs Up A top 2 album from last year for me (no two-puns intended, believe it or not LOL). The enhanced Nordic folk touches here, contra their debut, makes this a truly emotional album for me (love that Nordic folk stuff).
Thanks for the recommendation, guys Thumbs Up I heard a track from it on a local radio Prog show last year and it sounded lovely Smile
You're welcome.

Agusa - Två (Lovely album with plenty of Hammond. Wasn't this too much keyboard based for you, Gary? Tongue)
Glad you liked it. Smile

Nice! How do you like Fourth
I was really in the mood for Roller yesterday Cool
I bought Fourth and Fifth on vinyl the other day. It's very different from Third, more Avant/Fusion Jazz than Canterbury, more up-tempo/intricate and less psychedelic/atmospheric but I enjoyed it. I recall liking Fifth more than Fourth on previous listens though.

Yeah, it's definitely very avant-fusiony, somewhat ECM-esque in my mind. I can't say if I like Fourth more than Fifth, both have some amazing tracks, but I feel like Fourth is overall more focused and more "ALotOfBottle." LOL
Fourth and Fifth are merely OK in my book, nothing more. Highly recommend picking up Six if you guys haven't already. With it's return to the sort of progressive fusion that can be found on Third, but without completely abandoning the avant jazz of the previous two albums, this is where it's really at, IMO. I even prefer it to Third most days. Shocked Seven's really good, too. Easily prefer that one to Fourth and Fifth as well. It follows pretty much in the same vain as Six, but is perhaps a bit more melodic. It lacks the bite and edge of the preceding album though.

King Crimson - Islands (I can't pick a best or a worst song from it, they all seem equally average Ermm)
Yeah, there's perhaps no real standout track on there, although I do love "The Letters". For me, there is, however, just a special feel to the whole album. It's a recent purchase of mine, so I haven't digged into it too deeply yet, but I sense it could become one of my favourites from them.
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Heh...I kinda feel the same about Ian's vocals. I'd love it if Tull were an instrumental act. He always makes me think of an old pipe smoking grandfather with a hangover.
True, he does sound like that, and he looked that way as well.

LOL

I agree, his vocals are not his best asset. To me, they leave something to be desired on most albums. I do, however, love how they sounded on A Passion Play and most of War Child. He was really in his vocal prime around '73-'74, IMO.
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

^

Meeeeeee tooooo!  
La villa strangiato is one of those 'bench mark' drumming tracks. 
Peart is outta of his mind on that one. :)
Couldn't agree less, about the first side being a write-off that is. "Circumstances" and "La Villa Strangiato" are great, but so are the the title track and "The Trees" as well, IMO. I've always found Hemispheres to be their most consistent album.

Anyway, last month and a half or so for me:

King Crimson - Lizard
King Crimson - Earthbound
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Brian Eno - Another Green World
King Crimson - The Night Watch
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
King Crimson - Red
King Crimson - The Great Deceiver
King Crimson - The Power to Believe
Arcturus - Arcturian
King Crimson - Live at the Orpheum
King Crimson - Live in Toronto (Saw them live back in September. I feel they stayed too close to the studio versions of most of the tracks, wish they had done some longer improvs like they did in the 70's, but I guess that's not what the band's about these days. Other than that it was a great show, really tight playing from everybody, and I had a fun time (went to the concert with a Polish colleague of mine who's into SBB, ELP and some other prog stuff). And it was, of course, really exciting to see them live for the first time. Thumbs Up)
Huntsville - For the Middle Class
Huntsville - Eco, Arches & Eras
Huntsville - For Flowers, Cars and Merry Wars
Huntsville - Past Increasing, Future Receding (Huntsville at their most atmospheric. They're closer to kraut/post rock than free jazz here. Easily my favourite album of theirs.)
Huntsville - Pond (Saw them live for the first time just a couple of days after KC. An interesting experience, really cool. Cool Yeah, September was a busy month for concerts, with Bushman's Revenge less than a week before KC as well, and it would've been even busier had I known about Supersilent's release concert ahead of time.)
Finland - Rainy Omen
Neu! - s/t
Astro Sonic - Come Closer and I'll Tell You
Perhaps - 4
News from Babel - Sirens and Silences / Work Resumed on the Tower
News from Babel - Letters Home
Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra
Popol Vuh - Seligpreisung
Popol Vuh - Das Hohelied Salomos
Chicago - The Chicago Transit Authority
King Crimson - Islands
Popol Vuh - Aguirre
Popol Vuh - Brüder des Schattens - Söhne des Lichts (In my first real excursions deep into Popol Vuh territory, as this was (I'd only heard Hosianna Mantra before out of these five), I was pleasantly surprised with this one (BdS-SdL). Proto post rock, can you call it that, or would that just be "rock"? LOL)
Uriel - Arzachel
Khan - Space Shanty
Änglagård - Hybris
Anekdoten - Until All the Ghosts Are Gone
Furekåben - Prinsesseværelset (Got this after reading Keishiro's reviews of both their albums and David's review of their second one. Interesting stuff, reminds me a lot of Amon Düül II. Can't help but imagine that it's the character Bimse from the Danish television crime series Bedrag that's doing the vocals though. LOL Not to say that's a bad thing, the vocals fits the music splendidly, sounds like Bimse's on a helluva trip. [missing smoking emoticon])
Franco Leprino - Integrati... Disintegrati (Really enjoyed this one. What a great album! Big smile)
Biosphere - Departed Glories
Terje Winther - Trespasser
Terje Winther - Electronic Regions
Robert Wyatt - Old Rottenhat
Quella Vecchia Locanda - s/t
Agusa - Högtid
Agusa - Två
Dungen - Dungen: 1999-2001
Dungen - Stadsvandringar
Dungen - Ta det lugnt
Dungen - Tio bitar
Dungen - 4
Dungen - Skit i alt
Dungen - Allas sak
Nirvana - The Story of Simon Simopath
The Doors - L.A. Woman
Jefferson Airplane - Takes Off
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
Jefferson Airplane - After Bathing at Baxter's
Jefferson Airplane - Crown of Creation
Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers
Earth, Invisible - s/t
Electric Eye - Different Sun
Hawkwind - The Machine Stops
Gong - Rejoice! I'm Dead!
Knifeworld - The Unravelling
Knifeworld - Bottled Out of Eden
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Marillion - Brave
Locanda delle Fate - Forse le lucciole non si amano più
Camel - s/t
Camel - Mirage
Camel - The Snow Goose
Camel - Moonmadness
Camel - Rain Dances
Opeth - Still Life
Zu - Carboniferous
Jü and Kjetil Møster - Jü Meets Møster
Bushman's Revenge - Bushman's Fire
Bushman's Revenge - Jazz, fritt etter hukommelsen
Farmers Market - Slav to the Rhythm
Frank Zappa - The Grand Wazoo
Kraan - Live
SBB - Karlstad Live
Hatfield and the North - s/t
Ut Gret - Ancestors' Tale
After Dinner - s/t / Live Editions
After Dinner - Paradise of Replica / Paradise of Remixes
Hiromi Uehara - Spark
Van der Graaf Generator - Do Not Disturb
Seven Impale - City of the Sun
Seven Impale - Contrapasso
Motorpsycho - Blissard
Motorpsycho - Angels and Daemons at Play
Motorpsycho - Trust Us
Motorpsycho - Phanerothyme
Motorpsycho + Jaga Jazzist Horns - In the Fishtank 10
Motorpsycho - Black Hole / Blank Canvas
Motorpsycho and Ståle Storløkken - The Death Defying Unicorn
Motorpsycho - Still Life with Eggplant
Motorpsycho - Here Be Monsters
Motorpsycho - Here Be Monsters Vol. 2
Eloy - Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes
Eloy - Colours
Eloy - Time to Turn
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
Peter Gabriel - s/t 3
Roxy Music - s/t
Soft Machine - Fourth
Soft Machine - Fifth
Soft Machine - Six
Soft Machine - Seven
Santana - Caravanserai
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy
Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Lost Trident Sessions
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness & Eternity
Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Apocalypse
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of Emerald Beyond
Grand General - s/t
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
Feat. Esserelà - Tuorl
Utopia - Todd Rundgren's Utopia
Todd Rundgren - Todd
Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die
Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Tortoise - s/t
Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Tortoise - TNT
Tortoise - Standards
Tortoise - It's All Around You
Tortoise - Beacons of Ancestorship
Tortoise - The Catastrophist (Don't know if it was because of equipment malfunction (which happened) or because the tracks from it is too hard to play live (John McEntire have said it would be hard to figure out how to do them live), and I don't know if they've played anything from it previously on the tour, but I don't think they played anything from this, their latest album, at their concert last night, which was fine by me, as I still haven't really warmed up to it. It's nice enough, but it's nothing more than just another OK Tortoise album, as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, they instead took a dive into their back catalog and played some of their finest tunes from earlier releases ("Djed" sadly not included though), and it was a cool experience hearing those tracks live for the first time. They're really an awesome live band, much more energetic than on their studio albums, where they get uncomfortably close to elevator music at times.)
Monolithic - Black Science
Monolithic - Frantic Calm (Hard hitting jazz/noise metal from ex-Motorpsycho drummer Kenneth Kapstad and ex-Jaga Jazzist guitarist Stian Westerhus. Recommended to Meshuggah fans especially.)
Needlepoint - Outside the Screen
Needlepoint - Aimless Mary (Fusion at base, but these guys are quite an eclectic bunch. They sometimes remind me of Supersilent and Elephant9, at other times King Crimson and Motorpsycho, and at other times again Dungen and Syd Arthur. Really cool band. And so the search for a CD copy of their debut begins...)
Supersilent - 1-3
Supersilent - 4
Supersilent - 5
Supersilent - 6

Edited by The Bearded Bard - November 09 2016 at 13:35
Kespuzzuo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kespuzzuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 18:00
Faith No More - Album of the Year
Björk - Vespertine
Animal Collective - Centipede Hz
Pink Floyd - Animals
Kamasi Washington - The Epic
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 18:03
Sun City Girls - Torch of the Mystics
Throbbing Gristle - The Second Annual Report
Grant Green - Feelin' The Spirit
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 18:43

Ian Carr with Nucleus - Belladonna Outstanding album, I am really digging Nucleus recently. Although this is one of their lower rated albums from the classic era, I probably even like it even more than Elastic Rock. Great ballance between all of the elements that make the band. Great keyboard playing and magnificent guitar work from Allan Holdsworth himself.

Oh yeah man!   I love Nucleus and I'm not even a huge jazz head.  Great stuff.  I only have a couple of their mid 70s albums so far. 

This one is 1972, so it's technically still an earlier album of theirs. I have not investigated the releases after this one, among which is Under the Sun, which seems to get high ratings. Loads of stuff to check out. Great band.

I have "Under the Sun" and "SnakeHips".  Both are super. 

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 21:29
Mourning Phase - Mourning Phase - I don't listen to a lot of the early psychedelic folk stuff from the late 60's/early 70's, but it's always nice to stumble upon some. This short and sweet album goes great with those melancholy autumn Sunday afternoons.

Walrus - Walrus - Going in, I thought that this would be an incredibly generic jazz-rock-with-horns album, but I was pleasantly surprised. Although the bulk of the band's sonic pallet is based around jazz rock with horns, there are quite a few clever ideas, some beautiful flute parts, and an incredible energy in their performances. Quite strong production, too, I should note. Of course, I couldn't help but smile the whole way through because I imagined that the singer was actually the dashing walrus on the cover, strutting his stuff with his bird hat panache and thick moustache.

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 521>