Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 07:48
Cheers, Nick. Yes, I was pretty `meh' about this particular album, but I know there's quite a few people on the site that speak them up pretty highly, so I'd hoped there's better ones from them.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 07:52
Today and yesterday.

Orphaned land-- All is one. ( really love this actually. So rich in Israeli culture. Beautiful stuff and for me one OL's best in their discography. )
Peter Gabriel-- So
Peter Gabriel-- plays live!
Peter Gabriel-- Up
Iron Maiden-- Maiden England ( this is my favourite Maiden live album of all time. Be sure to grab the 2013 remaster edition. Excellent on all fronts!!)
Swollen Members-- Death Machine
Dream Theater-- ST
Fields of the Nephilim-- Sumerland EP.
Peter Gabriel-- New Blood (with vocals)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 07:58
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Cheers, Nick. Yes, I was pretty `meh' about this particular album, but I know there's quite a few people on the site that speak them up pretty highly, so I'd hoped there's better ones from them.

Np. Zombi's discography isn't very extensive yet or large. I think we will have to wait till their next release for what will hopefully be a bit more of a diverse sound.
I do really like what Zombi deliver time in and time out though.
A dependable duo.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 08:09

It's strange, Nick, other than owning his first solo album (and I probably haven't listened to it in...twenty years at this point?), I didn't feel interested enough to explore the next few, but I dig pick up `So' (classy and OK), and I've always found `Us' excellent. Of course you know my feelings on `Up'! Still haven't found that CD of it again, though, it's in the back room somewhere!

I put PG's solo career off for a while. I regret that and it was foolish of me.
All his solo albums offer something moving...something beautiful. PG's self expression and song writing is incredibly strong and engaging. One of the very few artists on this planet that can challenge and teach you things while putting you in a state of melodic bliss. :)
And Yes! UP still has me in deep, but Security now is giving it a run for its money.
Honestly though, his live albums are absolutely incredible as well and worth buying!:)

Cheers mate! And I know UP will resurface to you cause simply there is just no down with that thing. ;)
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 11:02
Zbigniew Namysłowski - Winobranie I am so happy about somewhat of a mini jazz revival in Poland at the moment! There are loads of reissues of old albums being re-released right now. Poland has a rich jazz tradition dating to as far as the 30's before World War II through the 50's, 60's, and 70's to the 21st century. This album is really good. It has a dark, maybe even ECM-y sound with fantastic themes and emotional improvisation.

Harmonia - Documents 1975
This is excellent. I love Harmonia and their early inexplicable atmospheres pre-dating some of today's underground aesthetic with this sound of electric combo organ, early drum machines, and blurry ambiences. A couple of tracks feature Mani Neumeier on drums and he is great here. Michael Rother is doing some terrific guitar work here, too.

Hatfield and the North - Hatfield and the North This album feels like home. Warm, beautiful, nostalgic, emotional, friendly, laidback, positive, and simply healthy are the adjectives that come to mind. There is something about that mixture of quirky song sensibilities and intricate instrumental playfulness that really hits me everytime I put on a Hatfield and the North record. Love this music.

Ralph Towner - Diary I was afraid this album would seem boring, as I'm not usually into solo-albums with limited instrumentation. but it was surprisingly good. Ralph Towner is playing classical guitar, 12-string acoustic, and grand piano for somewhat of a contemporary jazz effect. Obviously very much in the ECM vein. Nice!
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 12:49
Caravan – For Girls who grow Plump in the Night
Hawkwind – Live Chronicles
Ashra – Correlations
Tangerine Dream – Tyranny of Beauty
Jeff Pearce – Follow the River Home
Giron – Forest
Giron - Stones
Vangelis – L’Apochalypse des Animaux
Chac Mool – Nadie en Especial

La Bocca della Verità – Avenoth - Oh man, ANOTHER 80 minute RPI album! Where’s the `head banging against wall’ emoticon we used to have on the forum here?! :(
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 15:59
Satoru Wono - Sonata For Sine Wave and White Noise
Bubu - Anabelas
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 17:05
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Bubu - Anabelas

Did it live up to the hype? Shocked
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 17:13
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Bubu - Anabelas

I'm not sure Wink

It was definitely quite creative and complex, I was never really expecting to love it the first time around. Even if I hated it, it'd still be respectable for the attempt. But it was actually pretty good; my focus level wasn't exactly sufficient, what with school heating up and all. It's probably a great album, give me a couple more listens LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 20:24

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Bubu - Anabelas

I'm not sure Wink

It was definitely quite creative and complex, I was never really expecting to love it the first time around. Even if I hated it, it'd still be respectable for the attempt. But it was actually pretty good; my focus level wasn't exactly sufficient, what with school heating up and all. It's probably a great album, give me a couple more listens LOL

Fair enough. Those were more or less my thoughts on it the first time around. It wasn't until a few months later that I started to give it "best album of all time" levels of admiration. Thumbs Up

Anyhoo, today's albums:

PFM - l'Isola di Niente - Although I'll always consider Storia Di Un Minuto to be PFM's true masterpiece, I love listening to this one almost as much. There are so many cool things going on! Like the sheer monumental power of the title track, or the crazy jazz rock jamming in Via Lumiere (and that heavenly outro), or the sublime romance of Dolcissima Maria. My favourite song would have to be La Luna Nuova, though. It really gives me a "summer evening on the water" sort of mood that I adore. Great album all around.

Gentle Giant - Acquiring The Taste - Even though I don't love every song on here, I still love the album as an experience. I find it really impressive that despite every song on the album taking a totally different approach, they still manage to have such a unity in mood throughout. There's a sort of grim, nocturnal vibe that permeates the whole thing. Lovely listening. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 20:55
The Knife - "Silent Shout"
Daft Punk - "Discovery"
Justice - "†"
Holy Other - "Held"
Neon Indian - "VEGA INTL. Night School"
Manuel Göttsching - "E2-E4"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 23:58
Sunday...

Cosmic Temple - Space Trip One  (Curitiba, Brazil  2015)
Instrumental psych / space jams

Motherplant - Motherplant  (Lexington, Kentucky  2015)
Psychedelic doom, metal

Triptonus - Triptonus  (Vienna, Austria  2015)
Instrumental, psychedelic, experimental, jam 

It's Not Night: It's Space - Bowing Not Knowing To What  (New Paltz, NY  2012)
Instrumental, psychedelic, stoner trio

Grajo - Grajo  (Cordoba, Spain  2016)
Female fronted space / stoner / doom   (excellent vocals)  

Droids Attack - Sci-Fi Or Die  (Madison, Wisconsin  2016)
Heavy rock, stoner, doom trio 

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 03:37

Cheers for reminding me to dig out that first Girón album in return, buddy!

Krakatau – Water Near a Bridge – Man, the first track is groovy and melodic, but the rest of the album is pure Krautrock/Heldon/Cluster/early T.Dream droning ambience. Really surprising and very impressive. Can’t wait to see them live next week with Dungen.
No problem Smile By the way, I heard it while driving late at night and you're right, it's really great. No need to be so attentive and it keeps me from going over the speed limit Tongue

I'll have to give it another spin as well.

Yesterday:
Mondo Drag - s/t (Nothing about credits on this CD, it's pretty annoying Confused It's difficult to enjoy all the songs when I'm expecting "Pillars of the Sky". It's like a forgotten early Floyd track with synths, even the quality of the production suggests that.)
Magma - Rïah Sahïltaahk (It worked again, Magma is great for ironing LOL)
Jorge Palma - Com Uma Viagem na Palma da Mão (First listen after being addicted to it for quite some time. I didn't notice before how it sounds a bit similar to Traffic and also that it has the same drummer and sound technician as Quarteto 1111's "Cantamos Pessoas Vivas".)

Edited by Meltdowner - December 05 2016 at 04:21
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 04:33
Wintergatan - Wintergatan
Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair
Tears for Fears - Seeds of Love
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 12:25
Sun Ra - Space is the Place
This Heat - Deceit
Solid Space - Space Museum
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 12:31
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

That's a fun album. What do you think of Sun Ra in general? He's one of my favorite jazz artists, second only to Don Cherry. Space is the Place would probably be only my 7th or 8th favorite from him. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 12:31
Steve Rothery - The Ghosts of Pripyat - We got our first snowfall today, so I thought this would be a fitting album for the mood. And it certainly was. I'm not a fan of Rothery's work with Marillion at all, but this solo album is actually quite enjoyable. It really reminds me of some of the more spacey early 2000's era Joe Satriani material. Most of this tracks wouldn't seem out of place on Engines of Creation or Strange Beautiful Music. I suppose that 90's Pink Floyd fans would also really like this one.

Camel - Rajaz - I would put this one right up with Mirage and the debut as one of my top 3 Camel albums. After about 20 years straight of putting out very tired sounding music, they manage to channel a whole lot of energy into this one that really recaptures some of the magic they had on their early records. Andrew Latimer steals the show, of course, and I don't really have any problem with that. His solos on here are superb.

Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night - Huh, I'm not sure exactly what I missed the first time I heard this and dismissed it, because this album is awesome! As much as I love Grey and Pink, this one smokes it in just about every respect. I love the country/boogie/blues feel of the first few tracks, with the guitar and violin/fiddle interplay, and the closing track is so epic sounding! Such a great, eclectic album that covers a lot of different territory while still keeping that rich Canterbury warmth.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 12:42

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

That's a fun album. What do you think of Sun Ra in general? He's one of my favorite jazz artists, second only to Don Cherry. Space is the Place would probably be only my 7th or 8th favorite from him. 

It is indeed fun. I love Sun Ra. I have recently started rediscovering his music, as I felt like I had matured a lot musically in the last year and might enjoy Sun Ra's material even more than I did when I first discovered his genius (and I am doing so). Space is the Place is a really good album, though probably not my favorite. Lanquidity ranks pretty high for me. I haven't heard everything, but most of the stuff I have listened to from him, I have enjoyed very much. I need to investigate Secrets of the Sun one of these days.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - December 05 2016 at 12:43
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 12:52
Tonights choices:

Focus – Moving Waves
Rush – Hemispheres
Genesis – Trespass
Santana – Welcome (beautiful album)
M. Efekt - Svitanie
Magma – Udu Wudu
Steve Roach – Structures from Silence (love the second track `Quiet Friend’, could have fit nicely on Ashra’s `New Age of Earth’
Tangerine Dream – Ricochet
Rosy Finch - Witchboro
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 20:26
Selections for this evening:

Molly Hatchet - Flirtin' With Disaster - A true Southern Rock classic. I think this album may be the definitive use of the triple lead guitar setup; the band is so tight with their trade-offs. Add in Danny Joe Brown's overly macho cheesiness and you've got yourself an unforgettable hard rock experience. 

Amboy Dukes - Tooth, Fang & Claw - After putting on some Hatchet, I had to keep the momentum going somehow, and I figured this would be my best bet. It's really difficult to believe that anyone can pack so much power and emotion into power chords and pentatonic licks, but sure enough Ted Nugent manages to pull it off on this album. I'm absolutely in love with his tone on here, too. So raw and primordial, booming and unrelenting. And Rob Grange holds his own on the bass very nicely. In fact, he may very well be my favourite bass player after Squire. And all of this greatness comes together so very nicely on one of the greatest displays of energetic perfection in all of rock, Hibernation. I think I gave myself carpal tunnel trying to air guitar along to this one. Not that I could help it, of course. It's just too infectiously awesome.

George Thorogood - Move It On Over - I'm not a huge fan of blues albums, and this is no exception, but there are some good cuts on here that I enjoy, namely the Johnny Cash cover. This rendition of Cocaine Blues rocks!

Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself - Ah, that sweet, sweet Hammond sound. I think that this one and Salisbury are the band's two finest works, in no small part because of the majesty of July Morning. That moog solo at the end, man. Great stuff. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 522>