Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 22:05
Paper Fins - "Lurking Shark"
Neon Indian - "VEGA INTL. Night School"
iamamiwhoami - "kin"
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 22:22
Two more for tonight:

Santana - Abraxas
Marshall Tucker Band - S/T
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 23:39
An evening with greatness.

PG-- #1--Car
Soulfly-- S/T (Limited edition)
PG-- UP ( I can't put this one down.)
Logos-- L'Enigma della Vita
The Mission-- First Chapter
Leprous-- Congregation ( god. Can't wait for their new live album to hit Canadian Shelves!)

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 23:56
Monday...

Domkraft - Domkraft  EP  (Stockholm, Sweden  2015) 
Psych, doom, sludge trio 

Olmeg - Slab  (Melbourne, Australia  2012)
Alternative, psych, sludge, groove trio

Spaceking - The Piper At The Gates Of Stone  (Saint Petersburg, Russia  2016)
Instrumental, psych, space, metal with dual lead guitars 

Savanah - Deep Shades  (Graz, Austria  (2015)
Psych, doom, desert trio 

Cult Of The Lost Cause - Contritions  (Denver, Colorado  2016)
Heavy instrumental post rock with dual guitars 

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 01:56
My Brightest Diamond - This is my Hand
Susanne Sundfør - The Silicone Veil
Joan as Police Woman - The Classic
ColorStar - Komfort
ColorStar - ColorStar
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 03:01
Eloy - Floating
The Fratellis - We Need Medicine
Queen - Live at the Rainbow 74
Modry Efekt - Svitanie
Klaus Schulze - Body Love
Salada de Frutas - Sem Açúcar
Dead Meadow - s/t
Black Bombaim - Far Out

Edited by Meltdowner - December 06 2016 at 07:50
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 12:09
Sun Ra - Atlantis
Amon Düül II - Wolf City
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 15:01
Klaus Schulze - Timewind
Virginia Astley - From Gardens Where We Feel Secure
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
Pat Metheny - As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls
Foetus - Nail
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 18:37
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
NEU! - NEU!
PFM - Storia Di Un Minuto
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress
Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Black Sabbath - Vol. 4
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F# A# Infinity
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 21:04
Joe Satriani - Super Colossal - One of his more expendable releases, as most of the stuff he's done since around 2000 has sounded the same. Having said that, there are still some great riffs on this one, even if the ballads aren't totally memorable.

Allman Brothers Band - The Complete 1971 Fillmore East Recordings: 71/3/13 First Show - Man, if you like this band, you have got to pick up the complete Fillmore East recordings! This show is just one of four classic ones from that legendary weekend in March 1971. This show in particular is notable for having the version of Liz Reed. Aside from that and a killer You Don't Love Me and Whipping Post, one of my favourite parts about this set is how on fire the band is during Done Somebody Wrong. That one's always been my favourite Allman Brothers live blues standard, and Duane and Dickey absolutely kill it on this rendition.

Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear - My first time listening to this one, and I've gotta say, there are some parts I really like about the approach they took on this one, and some parts I'm not so keen on. The bad: there seems to be a far more melodic approach to this one than the albums before it, which tends to give it an almost "poppy" or "new-age" tone, and not always in a good way. The good: I like the addition of non-keyboard instruments from time to time. Keeps the mood a little fresher throughout.

Gryphon - Red Queen To Gryphon Three - Simply a flawless album from a compositional point of view. The fact that they can pull off such complex arrangements without bogging down the light feel of the music is really quite the achievement. 

Mike Oldfield - Incantations - I bought this a while ago on a blind purchase so this was my first time actually putting it on. I was pleasantly surprised, as I had incredibly low (even horrific) expectations of it. I think I may even prefer this to Tubular Bells; even though it doesn't have the awesome caveman rock from Tubular Bells Pt. 2, the sounds on this album are more organic and free-flowing, which makes it a whole lot less stuffy than Tubular Bells Pt. 1. I'll be sure to hang on to this one if not just to put on as relaxation music from time to time.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 21:08
LCD Soundsystem - "Sound of Silver"
Underworld - "Dubnobasswithmyheadman"
Paper Fins - "Zircon Radical Flux Explained"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 00:24
Tuesday...

Lint - Ships In The Sky  (Wollongong, Australia  2011)
Instrumental, psych, sludge, stoner trio 

Rosy Finch - Witchboro  (Alicante, Spain  2015)
Female fronted stoner, sludge trio  (two girls - guitar, bass & one guy - drums)

Seven That Spells - The Death And Resurrection Of Krautrock: lO  (Zagreb, Croatia  2014)
Band quote "Psychedelic wall of sound and occasional Viking funeral rites"  

Toundra - Toundra III  (Madrid, Spain  2012)
Instrumental post rock, post metal 

Stonehenge - Bunch Of Bisons  (Potsdam, Germany  2013)
Mostly instrumental hard rock jams with heavy organ and hot guitar.

Karmic Society - Journey  (Heidelberg, Germany  2007)
Psych jam, kraut, jazz rock (they've been called a cross between Camel and Jimi Hendrix)

Eyecontact - Big Mean Machine  EP  (Lendava, Slovenia  2014)
Desert, sludge, stoner  (half instrumental, half with vocals)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 03:19
Yesterday, including a few albums for Nick. Happy birthday man Beer
Klaus Schulze - Mirage
Godsmack - 1000hp
Arena - Songs From the Lions Cage
IQ - Ever (I can't remember why I hated this album previously, this is great Wacko)
Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygène 3
Vangelis - Rosetta
Led Zeppelin - II
Michael Brückner - R is for "Rocket" and S is for "Space"
Anaquim - Um Dia Destes
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 05:58
ColorStar - Komfort
Monsieur Renard - Bee Free, FLy Free
Monsieur Renard - Terra Magica
The Moody Blues - The Very Best of the Moody Blues
ColorStar - DeLuxe (live)
ColorStar - Colorstar
ColorStar - Heavenicetrip!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 15:47
Christopher Franke - The London Concert
Blondie - Parallel Lines (I heard Fripp played on this one, I had to check. It really rocks even without him though Cool)
Marta Ren & The Groovelvets - Stop Look Listen
Salada de Frutas - Se Cá Nevasse
Petrus Castrus - Ascensão e Queda (A full-blown Prog concept album in '78, it could only be their last)
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 19:14
Siouxsie and the Banshees - "A Kiss in the Dreamhouse": Man that song "Melt" can make such a masochist out of me. Post-punk rocker "Painted Bird" is another winner. Pretty eclectic, and anything by them with John McGeoch on guitar is going to be cool anyways.

Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Hyæna": The one with The Cure's Robert Smith on guitar. Oddly enough it's actually Budgie's drumming that I really dig the most about this album. "Swimming Horses" ranks as possibly my favorite song by them in general, and "Blow the House Down" is quite a brilliant closer. 

Siouxsie and the Banshees - "The Scream": Highly regarded and even "important", yet I'm more into the early non-album singles that came out around that time. It's alright I guess...kind of a cool dark punk thing, but it doesn't strike my fancy as much as some of their later stuff.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 22:48
Oh man, I'm pretty sure that my entire building hates me right now because I just spent the past 2-3 hours having a solo sing-along with my stereo cranked up as loud as I could tolerate. Big smile

This morning's albums:

Strunz & Farah - Primal Magic - Being a late 80's-90's Strunz & Farah album, all of the instrumentals tend to sound the same (on the bright side, they all sound consistently good). What I really like about this particular album are the two vocal songs, Rainmaker and Canto Al Sol. The guitar playing is top notch on both of these songs, but the added vocals make it sound just that much more primal. Maybe even magical, you could say! Wink

Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet - The start of Satriani's modern era. This is probably one of my less preferred albums from him, but there are still a few songs on it that make it worthwhile. The opening track, Up In The Sky, may very well be his most thrilling opening since Surfing With The Alien. Ceremony, Lights of Heaven, and A Train of Angels are favourites of mine.

And this evening's:

Glenn Miller Orchestra - Greatest Hits - Ah, here's where the fun begins! You wouldn't normally expect this to be much of a party starter, but I love Glenn Miller's stuff! In The Mood kicks 'er off, and gets me right in the mood to enjoy some fine, catchy music. The real highlight here, of course, is Chattanooga Choo-Choo. There are only a handful of songs that I will belt out loud in unison each and every time I hear them playing, and this is one of them. Say what you like about your wussy prog bands, this is the good stuff. 

Allman Brothers Band - Brothers And Sisters - Mmmm, that sweet Southern Rock goodness. I really wish that this Allman Brothers lineup put out more material, because it's like the perfect blend of Dickey Betts' solo material and Sea Level. Both are fantastic on their own, but put together, it's the next best thing since Duane Allman was in the band. 

Deep Purple - Machine Head - Man, after jamming along to Chattanooga Choo-Choo, there are only so many followups that I can put on that will curb my insatiable lust for exhilaration. I guess Highway Star is a pretty good one. Actually, with all due respect to the other great material Deep Purple put out, Highway Star may very well be the crowning jewel of their entire catalogue. It perfectly encapsulates everything that made rock in the early 70's so ridiculously awesome. The engine-hum drum beat and power chord strumming, the over the top, made-up-on-the-spot lyrics, Ian Gillan's primal scream at the start (with about 5 echoes for extra awesomeness!). And let's not forget Jon Lord totally hamming it away on the organ, thinking he's in a prog band or something, playing his hyper-speed Bach arpeggios a la Rick Wakeman over top of the rest of the band's total numbskull back beat. If you can point me to a song that better captures every crazy thing that music in 1972 was all about, be my guest. But as it stands, Highway Star is objectively the best rock song every recorded. 

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Nuthin' Fancy - Not the best classic Skynyrd record, but that's not saying much. What I love about this one (aside from the raw, ZZ Top-ish sound of Saturday Night Special and On The Hunt) is that it seems especially personal, even by Skynyrd standards. Am I Losing may very well be the most underrated Skynyrd ballad, Railroad Song is good, clean, fun, and Whiskey Rock A Roller is one of the best driving tracks around. The studio version of this last one is admittedly a little weak sounding, so I always substitute with the Knebworth festival recording for that extra "turn it up to 11" factor! It probably helps that Ronnie Van Zant and I have roughly the same range, because by this point in the night I was singing along to everything. 

Outlaws - Lady In Waiting - One last album to finish off a night of fun, and what a perfect album to harmonize to! I've always considered the Outlaws to be a vastly underappreciated band in the world of Southern Rock (and in general, of course), and this second album is so close to being as much of a masterpiece as the debut. All I can think that could improve this one is if they cut out the two ballads. Boring! Fortunately, the uptempo tracks are all killer - no filler. The best song on here, though, is the closer, Stick Around For Rock & Roll. No single song better captures the spirit of Southern Rock, the beauty of America, and the freedom of the open road, than this one. 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 00:58
Wednesday...

Giobia - Magnifier  (Milano, Italy  2015)
Psychedelic space rock  

Sophie's Earthquake - The Flood  (Wurttemberg, Germany  2015)
Heavy psychedelic stoner rock trio 

45 Rats - Electric  (Athens, Greece  2013)
Instrumental stoner rock trio 

Sun Of Man - Sun Of Man I  (Australia   2013)
Instrumental, psychedelic, stoner jams with heavy space/fuzz guitar.

Sun Of Man - Sun Of Man II  (Australia  2014)
Instrumental, psychedelic, stoner jams with heavy space/fuzz guitar.

Sautrus - Reed: Chapter One  (Northern Poland  2014)
Psych, desert, stoner, fuzz

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 01:45
ColorStar - Via La Musica
ColorStar - Solarize
Taipuva Luotisuora - IV
Taipuva Luotisuora - 8
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 01:48
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Allman Brothers Band - Brothers And Sisters
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Nuthin' Fancy

Outlaws - Lady In Waiting

Great selection of records. Mostly I play Southern rock during the hot summer days.
I love ABB's Win Lose or Draw because of High Falls, almost a progrock epic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475 522>