Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8990919293 522>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 12:50
^ And a VERY good one if you are in the mood for heavy organic and experimental music
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 12:55
Originally posted by andreol263 andreol263 wrote:

^ And a VERY good one if you are in the mood for heavy organic and experimental music

You are definitely right, well said. Smile It's a very good album. Very much in the vein of the late-60's avant-garde jazz, where musicians would often incorporate ethnic elements into their music. But this album adds space rock chunks into the equation! I really like this one.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 03:30
Wight - Love Is Not Only What You Know
John Coltrane Quartet - Ballads
The Astroboy - The Chromium Fence
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 04:14
Wednesday...

Malle & Rob - Instrumentals  (Berlin, Germany  2017)
Alternative, psych, funk

Methadone Skies - Enter The Void  (Timisoara, Romania  2012)
Instrumental , stoner, psych, doom jams 

My Sleeping Karma - My Sleeping Karma  (Aschaffenburg, Germany  2006)
Instrumental, psych, stoner, space 

The Ivory Elephant - Time Here Is Up (EP)   (Melbourne, Australia  2015)
70s style heavy blues rock trio 

Buddha Sentenza - Semaphora  (Heidelberg, Germany  2016)
Instrumental, heavy psych, prog, fuzz 

Sula Bassana - Dark Days  (Germany  2012)
Guitar driven psychedelic space rock 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 12:38
Massive playlist today. I think I haven’t listened to so many albums in one day for a while.

Sunbirds - Sunbirds Excellent funky jazz-fusion from the band under the command of Klaus Weiss, an Austrian percussionist and composer, who notably played in Niagara. The music on this one is very playful and very pleasant. Great guitar and keyboard work. Highly recommended!

Pharoah Sanders - Thembi I like Pharoah Sanders’ music a lot for its very lyrical character. I could listen to him dissonantly overblowing his sax all day and not get tired or disturbed, but that’s not all here. There are also loads of rhythmic modal passages one would find a lot in his music. Great album.

Can - Ogam Ogat These recordings apparently come from the same sessions as Tago Mago and I can kind of understand why this stuff didn’t make its way to the record. Musically, it’s just not very good, in my opinion. There are nice moments here and there, but also the recording quality is very bad and you can barely hear anything from Irmin Schmidt. Still, pretty interesting.

Soft Machine - Third Ahhh…. This is undoubtedly one of my favorite albums of all time. I hadn’t heard the album version of “Facelift” in a while and was kind of surprised at how it differs from various live interpretations I’ve been exploring in recent months. Fantastic piece. As always, “Slightly All the Time”  impresses me at Soft Machine’s skill, “Moon In June” does something special to my heart, while “Out-Bloody-Rageous” (probably my favorite track) makes me reflect on various things in life. 

Edzayawa - Projection One Killer psychedelic rock from Nigeria. Surprisingly elaborate funky rhythms, trippy guitar and organ, and splendid ethnic-tinged vocal work. This is one of the better albums from Nigeria I’ve heard so far, maybe even one of the better from the whole continent.

Friendsound - Joyride Quite an oddity. This album clearly shows a new sound being crystallized, for 1969, it was definitely “on the edge.” There is a fair amount of that worn-out psychedelic jam fashion on this album, but there are also some quite innovative experiments to be heard here. I especially enjoy the musique concrète bits.

Franco Battiato - Pollution What a fabulous album. I am truly astonished. This one generally gets lower ratings than Sulle Cordie di Aries, but I think I might like it even more at the moment. Franco Battiato is such a brilliant, genius musician - the musical landscapes he paints are very intelligently crafted and carefully instrumented. Masterpiece!

Pink Floyd - More Quite possibly, I might not have heard this one in all its glory before. This is typical excellence from Pink Floyd of the period. The mixture of beautiful, charming, yet always exploratory and forward-thinking songs and extremely atmospheric, eerie instrumentals is what makes this such a superb album for me.  

Edited by ALotOfBottle - January 19 2017 at 12:47
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 22:19
Rush - Permanent Waves - Ah yes, that sweet spot when Rush was a truly great band. No dorkiness, no science fiction excess, just consistently good material, MTV-style. And even though they didn't have anything to prove here, they still manage to strike a good balance between complexity and accessibility. I love Lifeson's guitar tone on this album; bright and crunchy. And the production has aged remarkably well for an 80's rock album. If not for the fact that they sing about enjoying listening to FM radio, you'd think some of these tracks came out in the past decade! LOL

Camel - Mirage - An old favourite, but one that's been continually waning each time I put it on. In fact, I took the time to completely rewrite my review of it. That's not to fault the album, of course. It's just that the more new prog I listen to, especially in the more diverse subgenres like RIO, RPI, and Zeuhl, the more "Plain Jane" this one seems in comparison. Of course, when you're looking for a melodies fix, or just want something a bit more sullen to put on for a rainy day, The White Rider will always do the trick! 

Quella Vecchia Locanda - Il Tempo Della Gioia - What an incredibly interesting album. The classical influences in prog are usually far overstated by the music press, but with this one they might just be onto something. There's a very interesting dynamic here between the eloquent acoustic instruments, like the violin and piano, and the more frenetic, electric performances in some of the songs. I actually find it quite difficult to pin down just what Il Tempo Della Gioia is getting across in terms of mood and expression; it seems almost abstract at times with all the different influences and approaches they take. I'm sure if I understood Italian it would make a bit more sense. Although it's not quite as magical or moving as their debut, this is still a delight to put on, even if does leave me scratching my head a little. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 02:08
Thursday...

Kanoi - Mountains Of The Sun  (Vienna, Austria 2016)
Ambient folk, psych, space one man band 

Hazy Sea - Electric Abyss  (Greece  2017)
Instrumental stoner, desert rock trio 

Methadone Skies - Eclectic Electric  (Timisoara, Romania  2014)
Mostly instrumental , stoner, psych, doom jams 

Eternal Tapestry - Dawn In 2 Dimensions  (Portland, Oregon  2012)
Psychedelic space rock 

Ritual Haze - Machine Sun  (Perm, Russia  2017)
Instrumental, psych, doom, drone with mellow moments 

King Buffalo - Orion   (Rochester, NY  2016)
Laid back heavy psych, desert rock 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 03:01
The Far Meadow - Given the Impossible
Osamu Kitajima - Benzaiten
Brian Bennett - Voyage
Talking Heads - 77
Sparks - Kimono My House
Yellow Magic Orchestra - BGM
Steve Roach - The Delicate Beyond
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 05:10
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

What are your thoughts on it? Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 10:47
Brian Eno, Dieter Moebius, Hans Joachim Roedelius - After the Heat This album sounds so wonderful. The three musicians create incredibly atmospheric dark textures, which sound just like the cover looks. Excellent, "healthy" music, feels like drinking the best quality mineral water.

Pretty Things - Parachute Been on a slight psychedelic rock kick lately and I decided to check this album out. This is some very good music, quite proto-prog. Mainly song-oriented, but these are very high quality songs. The pastoral side of Parachute at times even reminded me of that of Genesis. There is a very enjoyable aura all around this one.

Catharsis - Masq This is another one that gets rated way too low in my opinion. One of the reviewers pointed out its soundtrack-like sound as a flaw, while I think it's what gives this album such an interesting feel, at times reminiscent of early Pink Floyd. I like this!

Harry Beckett - Flare Up One of the better jazz albums I've heard in a while. This is a perfect example of a time, when post-bop was being estranged in favor of fresh jazz-fusion methods. Very good trumpet work from Harry Beckett, but also notable chops by John Taylor on electric piano and pianet. Fantastic!

Sam Kidel - Disruptive Muzak Not actually muzak, but as the artist explains, "These pieces share a similar sound palette to Muzak, but their structure is less familiar, less predictable and more disruptive." Very hypnotic, great background music, well worth investigation.

Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense and Peppermint Although I much prefer listening to British psychedelic rock than American, this album I really like. Very good songwriting and arrangements. Nothing distinguished, but overall really solid music.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 20:38
Friday...

Frozen Planet...1969 - Lost Traveller Chronicles Volume One  (Sydney/Canberra, Australia  2014)
Instrumental psychedelic space jams

Frozen Planet...1969 - Lost Traveller Chronicles Volume Two  (Sydney/Canberra, Australia  2015)
Instrumental psychedelic space jams

Sun Preachers - Faces Of Ashes  (Bordeaux, France  2012)
Classic hard rock with heavy guitar and organ 

Mother Mars - Fossil Fuel Blues  (Sydney, Australia  2011)
Heavy psych, stoner, fuzz trio 

Ephedra - Ephedra  (Zofingen, Switzerland  2016)
Instrumental, down tuned fuzz, stoner rock with dual guitars 

High Priest Of Saturn - Son Of Earth And Sky  (Trondheim, Norway  2016)
Laid back psychedelic rock with heavy organ, sludge bass, drone vocals 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2017 at 12:48
Mike Westbrook - Love Songs
Bobby Brown - The Enlightening Beam of Axonda
Funkadelic - Free Your Mind... and Your Ass Will Follow
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2017 at 01:36
Saturday...

Hypnos 69 - Timeline Traveller  (Diest, Belgium  2002)
Progressive, psych, stoner with more music than vocals 

Stone Ship - The Steps Of The Abysmal Pyramid  (Lahti, Finland  2012)
Instrumental, psych, doom, jam trio 

Blood Ceremony - Blood Ceremony  (Toronto, Canada  2008)
Female fronted hard rock, occult rock  

Atlas - Death & Fear  (Karlstad, Sweden  2016)
70s inspired heavy rock, stoner, doom 

BlackWater - BlackWater  (Cleveland, Ohio  2014)
Heavy blues rock, swamp rock with good slide guitar 

Eternal Tapestry - Wild Strawberries   (Portland, Oregon  2015)
Improvised psychedelic rock with spacey guitar and organ 

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2017 at 04:37
This weekend's listening roster has been the following vinyl specialties........
MEGADETH - Rust In Peace
MAGENTA - The Twenty-Seven Club
KRALLICE - Hyperion
ANTHRAX - Persistence Of Time
                  - For All Kings
PETER CETERA - Same (solo album from 1981)
IRON MAIDEN - Somewhere In Time
STEVEN WILSON - 4 and a 1/2
TUSMORKE - Fort Bak Lyset
ARS NOVA - The Book Of The Dead (with Live 12" bonus)
ELOY - Visionary
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - Do Not Disturb

.........and now - SPOCK'S BEARD - The Kindness Of Strangers (sounds sweet on clear vinyl).
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2017 at 13:00
Terry Riley - Reed Streams
Lard Free - Spirale Malax
Chris McGregor & the Castle Lager Big Band - Jazz - The African Sound
Far East Family Band - Parallel World
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 00:55
Sunday...

Elsupremo - Elsupremo  (Fargo, North Dakota  2013)
Instrumental desert, doom, stoner

Tank 86 - Rise   (North Brabant, Netherlands  2011)
Instrumental doom, sludge, stoner with dual guitars 

Landskap - Landskap II  (London, England  2014)
Heavy rock, melodic doom with good vocals, dual guitars and keyboards 

Landskap - Landskap I  (London, England  2014)
Heavy rock, melodic doom with good vocals, dual guitars and keyboards 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 03:20
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

What are your thoughts on it? Smile
It's hard to say, I didn't pay much attention to it (again) Embarrassed I think it's a nice background listen though.

Friday, a coding frenzy Tongue
Cosmic Ground - s/t
Cosmic Ground - II
Cosmic Ground - The Watcher
Cosmic Ground - III
MO~DU - MOD02

Weekend:
Mosaico - Vola
Mondo Drag - s/t
10000 Russos - s/t
Steve Roach - Invisible
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 04:18
Twelfth Night - The Collector's Item
Rupert Hine - Waving Not Drowning
Rupert Hine - The Wildest Wish to Fly
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 06:37
Atomic Rooster – s/t (US version...that’s the one I came to love!)
Atomic Rooster – Death Walks Behind You
Atomic Rooster – In Hearing Of...
Collegium Musicum - Konvergencie
Whalefeathers – s/t (2nd album)
Aktuala – s/t
Aktuala – La Terra (many many many times!)
Asgard – Tradition and Renouveau
Can – Ege Bamyesi
Celeste – Principe di un Giorno
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 11:38
Can - Future Days (RIP Jaki Liebezeit Cry, this album is close to perfection, in a big part, thanks to his drumming. What a terrible loss.)
Brian Eno - Ambient 4 - On Land
Nirvana - The Story of Simon Simopath
Funkadelic - Funkadelic
Zacht Automaat - I Can Feel Mold in Me (dead slow, no wake)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8990919293 522>