FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBarbara Dennerlein to release a new CD and DVD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barbara Dennerlein to release a new CD and DVD
    Posted: August 01 2016 at 07:21
Hammond- and church organist Barbara Dennerlein will release a new DVD and CD on Sep 2nd. Here the article from her monthly newsletter:

On September 2 it will be finally happen: the new Barbara Dennerlein album will be released, and - for the first time - not only as CD but also as DVD! "My Moments" is also he organist's first solo album where she plays both instruments: the Hammond organ and the pipe organ. The double concert in Piteå/Sweden on April 24, 2014 has been recorded at Studio Acusticum, the concert hall of the renowned School of Music which belongs to the Univerity  of Luleå. "This concert hall creates a unique sound experience with a ceiling which can be lowered to influence the acoustic. A truly inspiring and stimulating place paving the way for highest sound quality", Barbara Dennerlein says.

The pipe organ at Studo Acusticum has been constructed by the German organ builder Woehl from Marburg in 2012. With 203 stops and more than 9,000 pipes it counts to the biggest pipe organs of the world. The second instrument was a Hammond C3 for which Barbara Dennerlein brought her own MIDI pedal to play her bass pedal technique like she is used to.

Playing a solo concert is on one hand a big challenge, because of the need to be alert and highly concentrated. On the other hand it delivers the maximum degree of musical freedom for the artist. Barbara says: "My ambidextrousness of my extremities stands in good stead for mastering the specific challenge of the organ: playing the bass lines with the feet while the hands are soloing and accompanying and - besides that - keeping the sound manifold and exciting with interesting variations in registration.

In the unique moment of playing the organist is at the same time composer and arranger: interpreting the musical theme and improvising, designing and creating the sound by choosing miscellaneous organ registers in order to add a further dimension to the music. The artistic and technical challenges are huge - due to this fact solo concerts of jazz organists are extremely rare. For me, the solo performance is a great opportunity to advance the organ in jazz to new shores. With my compositions I am inviting my listeners to a unique experience, a journey through various exciting musical territories. This is one of my most personal recordings revealing my specific style even to the inexperienced listeners and sounding distinctively "Dennerlein".

The DVD offers almost the complete concert and gives insight to my playing through various camera angles. The CD provides a shortened version of the two concert parts. CD and DVD are distributed through Sony Music and are available in the shops as of September 2. The album is also available through Barbara Dennerlein's website; reservations can be made now. The website provides also an album announcement with a video trailer which we also put on youtube and Vimeo.

Here a link to the promo video:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply