Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarillion and Me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 15:57
Honestly, it sounds like you have gone through a big chunk of their catalog. I personally have failed to get into the band, and, like you, tried and tried. The one album I seem to really enjoy is Clutching at Straws, but, alas, that is when the band up and ditched Fish (just when things were getting good) and moved on with H. Post Fish Marillion has some good songs here and there but I haven't really enjoyed any of the albums. Anyways, there is something about Marillion that makes them appealing, which is why I spent a good amount of time on them (even returning to a few albums this past month) but at some point, you gotta admit when something isn't your thing.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 22:41
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

Marillion for me is easily a top 10 band in my 40+ years of listening to music.

Hey, if you like them then great! I'm not here to dismiss other people's preferences. This is just a friendly convo.

No worries....don't take my reply in the wrong context. I'm not dissing you for "dismissing" Marillion, I am not taking your comments that way. I was merely pointing out it seems you are trying hard to "like" a band. I don't think most people like all albums a band puts out, especially when the catalog is as extensive as Marillion's.

Take the albums you like and enjoy them....I don't listen to Holidays/Eden on purpose, it pops up on a shuffle play and that's about it for me.

Actually, Jose, I am sure that what you meant to say was people who don't "get", or like, Marillion need to be forcibly taken away by the men in white costs and subjected to a period of reeducation
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2016 at 23:40
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Marillion for me is easily a top 10 band in my 40+ years of listening to music.

Hey, if you like them then great! I'm not here to dismiss other people's preferences. This is just a friendly convo.

No worries....don't take my reply in the wrong context. I'm not dissing you for "dismissing" Marillion, I am not taking your comments that way. I was merely pointing out it seems you are trying hard to "like" a band. I don't think most people like all albums a band puts out, especially when the catalog is as extensive as Marillion's.

Take the albums you like and enjoy them....I don't listen to Holidays/Eden on purpose, it pops up on a shuffle play and that's about it for me.

Actually, Jose, I am sure that what you meant to say was people who don't "get", or like, Marillion need to be forcibly taken away by the men in white costs and subjected to a period of reeducation

Clearly you understood my code.....Big smile
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 08:06
Ok, so i now own Seasons End (cheap), Brave, and Afraid of Sunlight. Hooray for cheap labour on Amazon :D :( (it's not really a good thing, they are an awful company).

Sounds That Can't Be Made sounds promising. Maybe the new album won't suck as bad as the title makes it sound.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 11:45
I must say AoS is quite impressive, taking into account the subject matter. The Phil Spector pastiche is quite a bold move creatively.

I was sure Beautiful was a cover, but apparently not (unless there's another band with the same members).
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 12:00
Don't get the hate for Hooks in You, tbh. It's a thrilling rocker of a track.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 14:15
Weird coincedence. My friend got married today and Lavender was one of the songs played at the ceremony.
CapnBearbossa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 17:02

[....]
What think you, good people of the Archives? What am I mssing? Help me appreciate the boys from Canterbury. Do people here even like Marillion?

I have always liked Marillion foremost among neo prog bands, and I like the Hogarth era about as much as the Fish era, with caveats.  "H"-era is possibly less even in terms of quality, and I think you're right that the lyrics by Fish were generally better.   So, ... going in with a knowledge things will run a little hot-and-cold, it's better to start with an album with a more consistent quality and feel throughout.  I personally like Anoraknophobia and took to it right away. A little bit skewed toward the pop end of the spectrum, but by this point the boys were pretty vocal about wanting to ditch their status as a "prog-band" as they felt it no longer described them anyway.  Marbles was a slog at first, but once I saw what they were trying to do with it (emulate a sort of psychedelic Beatles/Pink Floyd hybrid style for one album Wink) I eased up and liked it much better.

Controversially:  I liked the Marbles follow-up "Somewhere Else" quite a bit and thought it was strong and quite original (especially for a band sometimes accused of aping various other bands). Your mileage may vary.

Edited by CapnBearbossa - August 05 2016 at 17:03
Will higher mighty force redeem
the one who dropped the moral compass,
failed to fulfill the dream?
-Ian Anderson
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 16:20
I picked up that cheap copy of Misplaced Childhood today.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 17:43
Despite all the 'inconsistencies' the H-era holds, I find their blend of Rock-Pop-Indie-Prog sits fine with me. Sure, I love when they stretch the compositions out and do what they do best, but there's a lot of wit and cleverness put into the more direct tunes that I still admire a lot. It took me a long time to warm to after the superb Fish years though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2016 at 12:16
If the songs are good, that's all I care about.

But post - Sunlight, i think they struggle a bit, more than a bit actually.

I'm not oeverly keen to get back into Script or Fugazi though. I enjoyed those albums in the past, but Misplaced onwards show a greater maturity. MC has an interesting vibe I'd forgotten was there (been years since i listened to it) and is most certainly a product of its time, like all good records. Interestingly the music is much more stripped back. Straws continues this, but has a couple more naff tracks with too much lyrical emphasis on drink and drugs. By the time we get to Torch Song, we've heard plenty on the topic as it is.

Sugar Mice and Incommunicado can go though. The latter has an interesting intro and outro, but i've heard it way too many times, and the live version on La Gazza I didn't like. Whiule I really like Mosley's drumming, he has this annoying habit of ending every song, regardless of mood, with a 'da dum' drum fill.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 12:56
Just ordered Clutching At Straws. I rather like Going Under.

Could care less about the demos of post CaS material, or Fish's solo career (except Shadowplay and Credo)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12