FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMinimoog Model D back in production

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minimoog Model D back in production
    Posted: August 05 2016 at 00:48
Moog Music has restarted production of the Minimoog Model D. This synthesizer (along with synths from Oberheim, EMS, ARP and Sequential Circuits etc) was used on many progressive rock albums in the 1970s and 1980s.

Edited by King Only - August 05 2016 at 00:58
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 00:55
Sweet little machine -

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 01:06
A short video showing them making it in the workshop:

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 02:47
My friend has a 'Little Phatty' or some such. It has superb sounds.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 07:33
$3,749 RRP.
£3,249 here in the UK.

Two oscillator synth...... what a joke. To give you an idea, the famous Moog Ladder Filter contains five matched pair transistors, which cost about fifty cents each. 

£700 would be a ripoff. The analogue synth world has moved vastly on from here. Paying this much for a name is ludicrous. Get a Polivoks with MIDI shipped from Poland for a third of the price and much higher specs, if you want an old synth. 

pitfall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 17:02
It's cheaper than a Selmer Mk3 Alto, so for an iconic, hand made musical instrument, Id say the price is fair given the fall in the value of the £.
Sure, you can get a good synth for a lot less, just as you can get a decent alto saxophone from an eastern or far eastern country for a lot less than a Paris Selmer - but if you want something really special, you usually have to pay a lot for it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 01:45
Ahhh, I think you mean a Selmer Mk 5 or 6. ;-)

Mark fives and sixes are nice saxes. The problem I have with them (been playing sax 40 years) is that they're massively overrated. Yes, they have a nice, light Conn action, but..... the right hand keywork lacks the complexity of a 1930's sax. No fork Eb. No trill keys. Then again, the keys are somewhat more ergonomically placed than a typical 30's sax. But my main problem with Selmers is that they have a core tone which lazy sax players tend to rely on rather than actually developing their own. What you tend to hear is the Selmer, rather than the player, unless you get some weirdo like Stan Getz. All the modern Selmers I've played - Super 80, Reference 36, Reference 54 and Mark 5 and 6 - tend to give you this tone on a plate and it's hard to step outsie of it. I much preferred older Selmers, having had a brief go on a Radio Improved and (I think) a Cigar Cutter from the 30's.

All Selmers are overpriced, but the Mark 5 and 6 are very much so. For the money, you could buy two or three Conn Model 10's, King Silversonics, Buescher 400's or Aristocrats or Martin Handcrafts. All are very, very capable saxes. I actually use a Buescher transitional Aristocrat from 1934 as my main alto, and a Conn Director from 1957 as my main tenor.

The problem is you pay for the name. Or rather, a lot of people do.

Back to the Model D. I build analogue synths.  The main sound of the Minimoog is in the ladder filter. If you have a look below, there are a number of matched transistor pairs (that's the "ladder") which produce an unintentional distortion. They're about 50p each, although I did recently pay over the odds for some Soviet era matched transistor pairs when I was going to re-create this. ;-) There are a few electrolytic capacitors - which I get for between 5 and 7 pence each, and some resistors which are less than a penny.  Even You are probably looking at about £5-6 including stripboard. Call it a tenner with jacks and pots and knobs.

Yet Moog will charge you £550 for this if you buy it in modular format.

Talking of modulars. Moog charge $130,000 for a replica of a Keith Emerson modular. Even replicas of smaller modulars (I think they do a 3C clone) go for $30,000. If you pop over to Synthesizers dot com, the same system in 5U format goes for a third of the price. If you buy it in Eurorack format, you'll get the same functionality for under $4,000. If you're weird like me and build it all yourself, figure on $1500-2000.
This is not to denigrate Moog, they have some very good designs (although they have produced a few howlers  - hasn't every firm ? ) - and I do love the filter and oscillators on my Minitaur, but...... the Model D is overpriced by about 300%. 

I know it's not volume produced, but that's no excuse to charge such an extortionate price. Not for me.

Edited by Davesax1965 - September 06 2016 at 01:47

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 01:55
Transistors - 5 matched pairs. Let's say 70p each. £3.50
6 single. 7p each. 42p
Capacitors, ceramic - 7p
Capacitors, electrolytic - 21p
Resistors - 21p

Factor in about another £15 for pots, jacks and PCB and another £15 for a panel, and all that's left is the Moog name which somehow adds another £450-500 to this. 

This is the last filter I built from a kit. It cost about £97, it's Sallen Key topology and much more capable than the Moog. It's also much more complex, there were 150 resistors, for a start. All 1/8W and a nightmare to work with. ;-) I've built Moog and Polivoks clone filters. All of them contained about £25-30 in parts. Exactly the same functionality as the "classic" synths they were designed after. 

Want to save money, synth fans ? Get a soldering iron. Or find someone who has one. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - September 06 2016 at 03:22

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 02:10
Full parts list and schematics here to build a Minimoog, fact fans. ;-)

And I'm slightly wrong as the filter board had a few more components. But the principle holds, as the components cost pennies. I recently built a complete Polivoks clone: the electronics cost just over £100. And it's shed loads more complex than a Minimoog. 

http://www.fantasyjackpalance.com/fjp/sound/synth/synthdata/16-moog-minimoog.html#4

Edited by Davesax1965 - September 06 2016 at 02:12

Post Reply Post Reply