Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doctor Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doctor Who
    Posted: August 05 2016 at 11:42
A few days ago, I just started the first season of the modern era of Doctor Who! Love it! Already through the first three episodes. Anyone else here a fan of The Doctor?
User Banned for this Post
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 11:54
 Yes!
Thumbs Up
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 13:12
Yup, although I'm a classic Who fan. Seen any of the old ones? The ones with the 4th Doctor are my favorites.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 14:01
"Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow".

I like both classic and NuWho. Of the classics I like the 3rd and 4th Doctors (Jon Pertwee and Colin Baker, EDIT, I meant Tom Baker, but I do like Colin Baker more than many) the most, and, showing my age, lost interest in the show in the 80s, but the new series got me back into Doctor Who. I have yet to complete the first and second doctors episodes of the classic series, but have seen all the other episodes (other than the Paul McGann pilot/ TV movie which I couldn't make it through).

You're rather lucky to just be discovering the show now (or at least the modern series).   It's too long a hiatus for me and my daughter while we're waiting for series 10 (my son doesn't really like it) and have watched all the modern eps multiple times already. Most of the shows I watch are too adult for family viewing, so it's great to have something like Doctor Who which I can safely watch with the whole family.

You're a long way off, A_Flower, but if I were to choose one favourite Doctor Who episode it would be one of the most recent ones (featuring Peter Capaldi) called Heaven Sent (a dark episode).

As well as Doctor Who, I liked its spin-off Torchwood a lot, particularly for its season/series/serial Children of Earth (another dark one featuring a pre The Doctor Capaldi, hope that's not a spoiler).

We had a Doctor Who appreciation thread from a few years ago, and I know there have been quite a few fans here.

For any fans of classic Who who still haven't seen The Curse of Fatal Death featuring Rowan Atkinson as the Doctor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM

Edited by Logan - August 06 2016 at 00:00
Just a fanboy passin' through.
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 14:43
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

"Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow".

I like both classic and NuWho. Of the classics I like the 3rd and 4th Doctors (Jon Pertwee and Colin Baker) the most, and, showing my age, lost interest in the show in the 80s, but the new series got me back into Doctor Who. I have yet to complete the first and second doctors episodes of the classic series, but have seen all the other episodes (other than the Paul McGann pilot/ TV movie which I couldn't make it through).

You're rather lucky to just be discovering the show now (or at least the modern series).   It's too long a hiatus for me and my daughter while we're waiting for series 10 (my son doesn't really like it) and have watched all the modern eps multiple times already. Most of the shows I watch are too adult for family viewing, so it's great to have something like Doctor Who which I can safely watch with the whole family.

You're a long way off, A_Flower, but if I were to choose one favourite Doctor Who episode it would be one of the most recent ones (featuring Peter Capaldi) called Heaven Sent (a dark episode).

As well as Doctor Who, I liked its spin-off Torchwood a lot, particularly for its season/series/serial Children of Earth (another dark one featuring a pre The Doctor Capaldi, hope that's not a spoiler).

We had a Doctor Who appreciation thread from a few years ago, and I know there have been quite a few fans here.

For any fans of classic Who who still haven't seen The Curse of Fatal Death featuring Rowan Atkinson as the Doctor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM

Just watched the fourth episode "Aliens of London" and it terrified me so I'm sure this Rown Atkinson episode will give me a good laugh!

And as for Pastmaster's question I have not seen any older episodes I am completely new to the whole show

Edited by A_Flower - August 05 2016 at 15:06
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 18:35
Count me as a fan.

Never seen the older ones (except for the handful they played on BBC America for the shows 50th anniversary) unfortunately.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieRUKiddingVarese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 22:19
Old pre 1980's Doctor Who is the best Doctor Who shows
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 22:46

Edited by Logan - November 24 2018 at 10:59
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 23:16
Originally posted by A_Flower A_Flower wrote:

Just watched the fourth episode "Aliens of London" and it terrified me so I'm sure this Rowan Atkinson episode will give me a good laugh!...

Aliens of London/ World War Three is maligned by quite a few, but I love the two parter.   I think some people think it stinks just because the Slitheen break wind so much.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 03:25
Another Whovian here, both classic and new! The very first and last incarnations of the Doctor are my favourite so far, probably because they're so similar. LOL

Shame about Paul McGann's little screentime - the few minutes he had pointed to a great Doctor.

Edited by Kotro - August 06 2016 at 03:26
Bigger on the inside.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 03:40

Highlight (swipe mouse over) this post to read the text:

Capaldi also played Lucius Caecillus Ivcundus in Dr Who. Apparently Russell Davies had/has an explanation for why Caecilius and Frobisher look the same but as Davies wasn't involved in casting Capaldi as the 12th Doctor that explanation probably means very little now (and the subsequent Moffatt explanation for why the Doctor now looks like Caecillius seems a tad contrived to me, but hey-ho, if it works of him I'm not going to argue). What's curious about picking Caecilius is that he wasn't a fictitious character, he and his family lived in Pompeii at the time of the eruption. [Unfortunately the actual explanation for that is mundane and less interesting - his name was simply plucked from a textbook used to teach Latin in British schools]. The historical evidence suggests that Caecilius died in Pompey either in the earthquake of 62CE or the volcanic eruption of 79CE so the Caecilius in Dr Who is (now) an anachronism due to the Doctor's intervention.

Personally I think that the paradoxical anachronism could lead (or more accurately could have lead) to a more interesting explanation that ties in those of Davies and Moffatt, that changing history and time has consequences. 
[/end of spoiler]

Edited by Dean - August 06 2016 at 04:37
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 03:44
Favourite Dr Who dialog:

Rose Tyler: If you are an alien how come you sound like you're from the North?

The Doctor: Lots of planets have a North!

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 04:29
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Shame about Paul McGann's little screentime - the few minutes he had pointed to a great Doctor.
McGann had a good run as the 8th Doctor on the radio and audio plays - if you haven't heard any of the Dr Who audio plays and like McGann's Doctor then (it's unusual for me to recommend anything but) I highly recommend them. They are far better than the 90 minute TV Film that introduced him.

His side-kick in many of them is Lucie Miller, played by the very excellent Sheridan Smith, her story line is (IMO) the most heartbreaking of all the Doctor's companions, it's a real shame she never got screentime in the role.

Lucie is mentioned as one of his companions in the Night of the Doctor mini-episode so she is canonical to other (TV) Dr Who companions:

Edited by Dean - August 06 2016 at 04:33
What?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 04:46
I like Dr Who, but I'm more a fan of the old show preferaby with Tom Baker as the doctor, and crap specal effects. You may have to be British and of a certain age to appreciate the old Dr Who..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 06:34
It's hard to say. I did love the classic series, but I've fell out of love with it recently. The charm I used to see in it just isn't there for me now. I couldn't stand the Matt Smith years and feel the potential for Capaldi is being wasted, which is a shame because he really should work on paper.
It hasn't got to the point where I want to make Redlettermedia style critique of the show (While forgetting what makes those videos work is there's a team in those videos, not some plummy voiced fanboy with a computer voice for the other characters because they haven't got any other friends!) I'd rather just stop and divert my energy and attention to other things.

If you still like it, more power to you. I just can't anymore.
I prefer Rick And Morty! There's no way the show will ever be like that, so fair enough.

It's complete horsesh*t however, the way the BBC isn't showing anything this year. So maybe I do care? (Catches a repeat on a satellite channel*) OK, I'm done with this show!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 07:28
Dr Who is a kids' programme that has grown-up with its audience irrespective of how old you were when you started watching it. Originally designed to be educational it sort to give life-lessons through nightmarish stories. It was for many youngsters in the sixties the programme that you watched from behind the sofa, too frightening to watch but too gripping to tear your eyes away from and even today kids rate episodes by how scary they are, with the bad ones being less scary (and often more wordy and thus boring). I remember watching the original Ghostbusters during an afternoon matinee showing at the local cinema where most of the audience were young kids, all their laughter was not from the scripted gags that we adults laughed at, but from the scenes that scared them the most ... Kids love that kind of safe-scary almost cartoon-like stuff that Dr Who used to deliver because it wasn't realistic and doesn't mess with psychological fears or grim no-escape horror. Dr Who always had a clever solution to the cliff-hanger ending of each episode, brain beats brawn and any terror can be overcome. Older viewers who have stuck with it still fondly remember the earlier episodes and the Doctor that first introduced them to the programme but now they're not watching it from behind the sofa so are more critical of how each story is played. My daughter was 17 when 'Blink' was aired and it scared the crap out of her, yet she still watched it twice whereas I found it more as a clever concept, well written and smartly played except for the one (unnecessary) scene where the Angels were shown with 'scary' faces... less scared : more critical.
What?
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_Flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 09:09

Originally posted by A_Flower A_Flower wrote:

Just watched the fourth episode "Aliens of London" and it terrified me so I'm sure this Rowan Atkinson episode will give me a good laugh!...

Aliens of London/ World War Three is maligned by quite a few, but I love the two parter.   I think some people think it stinks just because the Slitheen break wind so much.

Yes that's part of the reason why I didn't like it. Also, I guess I like it better when the Doctor and Rose adventure into new areas. So far my favorite episode has got to be The End of the World. Such an awesome murder mystery!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 14:56
Really enjoyed the latest/modern Dr. Who episodes, still think the Rose ones were the best.

^I liked the breaking of wind comic relief LOL, it did not detract at all for me, still it held my anticipation.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2016 at 14:29
Been a Dr Who fan since 1975.....first watched with Jon Pertwee......been watching ever since.
Peter Capaldi has grown on me somewhat but I'm still getting used to his version of The Doctor.

They have been running the old Baker episodes here on PBS lately.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 18:08
Doug, Have you seen all the Capaldi episodes thus far? I liked series 9 much more than series 8. Said it before, but to me "Heaven Sent" is a real diamond, and top of my pecking-order in Doctor Who episodes (not that I've seen all of the first two Doctors episodes). It's everything I had hoped for with Capaldi. By the way, I probably started with Doctor Who at about the same time as you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean, I'm having problems with formatting in your post, and keeping that spoiler hidden, so in regards to your spoiler post without quoting:

I've read an article about that CLICK

Spoilers (also highlight text to read):

Karen Gillan who would later play the 11th Doctor's companion Amelia Pond was also in Fires of Pompeii (as a soothsayer that would have died due to the eruption). She wasn't based on a real character like Capaldi's, but hey-ho. If both Frobisher and Caecilius frowned the Doctor that face, better said as the Doctor chose that face as a reminder to always save people, such as young Master Davros, no matter the consequences ("I'm the Doctor, and I save people") then what can the message be with the double-use of Gillan if there is one? The Doctor did not save soothsayer Gillan, nor did the Doctor save Amy Pond from the weeping angels back-in-time thing. Yes Amy chose to join Rory. Of course it was a later incarnation that chose that face as reminder to save people, so there's no conflict, I just find it kind of interesting. In a way the Gillan incident gives more credence to the whole change of heart, reminder story, or whatever. Time does not need need to re-assert itself. Anyway, my silly ramblings aside, seems that Amy and the soothsayer are both related by Moffat's logic. I really am confusing myself here. Move along....

Warning too, youtube spoilers, watch at peril:

Spoiler, highlight:

An aside, but there have been quite a number of re-appearances of characters as different people over the years. One of my favourites was Colin Baker portraying two Gallifreyans, Commander Maxil and the 6th Doctor. It was particularly interesting because Colin Baker as Maxil shot the Colin Baker Doctor's predecessor.

Edited by Logan - November 24 2018 at 11:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>