Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doctor Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 13:51
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

So, how are people liking the newest season/series so far (with Chibnall/ Jodie Whittaker)?

I miss Moffat and Capaldi a lot.

Warning, some spoilers.

This has been the first season since Doctor Who rebooted that I wasn't excited to see a new episode, and actually had to push myself two watch some of the episodes and to finish some. I'm not impressed with Chibanll's writing, feel like there are more companions than necessary and I don't find the companions terribly engaging (especially the young ones), I find the accents hard to understand (I need subs and wish they would enunciate more), I find the villains uninteresting, and the new Doctor doesn't quite work for me. Chibnall went for ethnic diversity, but I don't feel like he got enough diversity in the companions in more interesting-to-me ways -- excuse me, I shouldn't say companions, it's now the more genteel Team Tardis or "fam".

That said, I did quite enjoy the last two, Demons of the Punjab and Kerblam! (my dad was a British officer in India during the partition, and was very against it).

It's getting very mixed reactions. At rottentomatoes the critics score for the season is 96%, which I think far too generous, but the audience score is 45%.

I found Arachnids in the UK and The Tsuranga Conundrum to be really sub-par episodes. Rosa was nicely done, but some backstory on the villain would have made his character more interesting. In the future I would have expected species-ism to be a bigger issue than racism. It wouldn't go down well, but it would be interesting if in his future society white human males are the oppressed ones. I think understanding his motivation might have made it more interesting, but I don't think that he was needed at all (there were less fantastic ways to advance the plot).

I wish there was more of a story arc. I think standalone episodes can be great (think anthology series such as Black Mirror, Inside No. 9, The Twilight Zone, The Other Limits and various great Doctor Who episodes which could stand alone), but I tend to prefer serials generally (think Fargo, Westworld, Game of Thrones, Utopia, In the Flesh, Stranger Things etc.)

Anyway, I'm not finding the plots that interesting, the characters are not working for me (the apraxia does not even seem consistent enough in Ryan), and the messages can seem a bit heavy-handed in execution.

First thing I'll say is, I basically agree with all of this. Moffat's absence is particularly felt for me. 

The writing has been subpar for the most part. The ideas haven't been too great either. But for me the biggest problem is characterization. 

I don't mind Whittaker as the doctor. Her acting is fine, but there is nothing about her doctor that is particular exciting or deep. All the previous doctors (at least from the reboot) have had defining characteristics and each seem to stand out in a crowd, so to speak. Hers is just bland and blends in and is pretty meh overall really. The sidekicks are even worse in this regard. I agree that there are just too many of them. 

The lack of story arc is also a big issue for me. That was one of my favorite things about doctor who in the past...season long (or multiseaon long) threads that weave throughout. Without that, it feels much less 'epic' in scope, which was a big plus for me.

I don't have the time right now, but I'll be back later to discuss my issues with individual episodes. 

As for the episodes...

Of the eight shown thus far, the only one I really liked is Demons Of The Punjab. For me this episode succeeded the most in combining story, writing, execution, and ideas. I still wouldn't say it's a "classic", but it's certainly closer to that list than anything else from this season.

Other things I liked...The Ghost Monument I thought was a very good idea, but was disappointed in the ending. I also quite liked the idea of The Tsuranga Conundrum, but the main villain was just too comic relief-y to take seriously (even though it was apparently quite a bad ass). I did like the villains in The Witchfinders (the eyes made them pretty frightening to me), but how they were defeated was very bleh and the overall story was just ok for me. I'd put Kerblam in this category too...a decent story/idea that just felt unfulfilled with writing/development. 

Other things I didn't like...Completely agree with your comments on Rosa. I didn't understand anything about the why of what was happening and it just made the episode feel...unnecessary. Arachnids in the UK  was pretty bleh overall, just seemed like a typical monster story that could've been any show and the debut fell quite flat for me (although I did like the baddie...wish that race would return).

Not terribly hopeful for the rest of the series (and I will miss the Christmas broadcast, although ebing it's only a week until NYD I suppose it's not that bad...)
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 13:57
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I agree with others that the lack of an overarching story arc is disappointing. Lacking that dimension makes this year's series come off as flat. There are only (apparently) two episodes left (as noted at the end of yesterday's episode on BBC America). I have no excitement at all looking forward to the end of a shortened season like this, but I will persevere and watch them, being the devoted fan I am.

As a side note, I wonder if maybe there is something of a hint of a story arc, but it is way too subtle as opposed to previous arcs. I'm thinking more on the lines of the Remnant's "timeless child" remark in episode 2 or the subtle references to the Doctor's family (pre-Time Lord??).

https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-season-11-backstory-change/2/

I don't really have any problems with the characters per se, but when there are fewer companions, that leaves more room for character development. Without this development, these sidekicks become less memorable unless they stick around for a long time.

There are some rumors that they may delay the next season until 2020. I certainly hope that is not true.

Interesting articles there. I'll admit, I pretty much missed the reference to the timeless child. This could be a fun thing to explore, but having nearly ended the season and there seemingly no other references, I'm not holding out hope. Also, even if it does make a reappearance in the season finally, would that really be a season long arc having just appeared twice through a 10 episode run? Also...Having been thinking about this, one theme I suppose I can see is discrimination...with the doctor seemingly always have to defend herself being she is a woman, the witch trials, the entire Rosa episode....but that would be incredibly bland for the sci-fi show (especially one of this caliber) and would be a little patronizing in my view. 

2020?! God I hope not. I'm struggling to keep up enthusiasm...such a delay would only deaden it further. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 14:54
So far my favorite new episode was the most recent one with the alternate reality theme...it felt like one from the past few years before they changed everything...weird sc fi and no damn social issue preaching.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 15:59
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

So far my favorite new episode was the most recent one with the alternate reality theme...it felt like one from the past few years before they changed everything...weird sc fi and no damn social issue preaching.

The last few episodes written by not the show runner have been a delight.
Even on a second or third rewatch, once you know how it really ends the episodes are a lot stronger in dramatic content than its detractors and press coverage will admit.
And it's all over this Sunday!
I'm glad I chose to watch the series for myself. The camera never lies but the Net has fancy flights!
Yes, it could have been better, but it's nowhere near as bad as some would suggest.
Although, speaking to a friend I hadn't seen in an age and yeah, he loves the show but I couldn't answer "Who is the show now aimed at?".
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 14:53
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Even on a second or third rewatch, once you know how it really ends the episodes are a lot stronger in dramatic content than its detractors and press coverage will admit.
I'm glad I chose to watch the series for myself. The camera never lies but the Net has fancy flights!
Yes, it could have been better, but it's nowhere near as bad as some would suggest.
Although, speaking to a friend I hadn't seen in an age and yeah, he loves the show but I couldn't answer "Who is the show now aimed at?".

I didn't like the so-called ' social message episodes'...not that I'm against topical content but they were done poorly imho. I like it when Dr Who is all about adventure and sc-fi and not trying to be politically correct.
Entertain me and save the message for some other program.
Haquin
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 15:02

I still liked Demons Of The Punjab more, but yes...this was easily one of the best from the season. I thought the baddie was a defeated a little too easily, but compared with other issues from this season it's a mild complaint. 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 15:05

Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

I didn't like the so-called ' social message episodes'...not that I'm against topical content but they were done poorly imho. I like it when Dr Who is all about adventure and sc-fi and not trying to be politically correct.
Entertain me and save the message for some other program.

I agree with this too. I've read a lot of people saying that sci-fi is at it's best when it's some sort of social commentary and/or being able to express tense contemporary issues in a different light, but this often falls flat for me. I prefer my sci-fi being about adventure and dealing with things we can't deal with in real life, being we'd be so far behind them technological/intellectually/etc. 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 06:27
I saw the season-ender last night and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It was nice that they brought back Tzim-Sha from the first episode and I could see this character coming back in future episodes. Still this doesn't make up for the lack of an overarching mystery that builds up to the last episode for the series.

I even recognized Phyllis Logan (female Ux), who is best known for her role on Downton Abbey.

And a whole season without seeing one Dalek. Imagine that.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 07:48
I've not watched the new series yet, but some of the reviews I've seen on Youtube dismiss it as preachy and excessively politcally correct. I'll have to watch and judge for myself, as I suspect some of those reviews are by people who are very sensitive to such things and tend to exaggerate.

That said, I don't like te idea of it being preachy. Drama that carries a specific social message can insult the viewers intelligence, by trying to influence instead of trying to provoke thought and debate.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 08:44

I even recognized Phyllis Logan (female Ux), who is best known for her role on Downton Abbey.

You mean Lovejoy, surely?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 01:28

I saw the season-ender last night and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It was nice that they brought back Tzim-Sha from the first episode and I could see this character coming back in future episodes. Still this doesn't make up for the lack of an overarching mystery that builds up to the last episode for the series.

And a whole season without seeing one Dalek. Imagine that.

Finally got around to watching the finale and I agree with everything you said. I thought he was defeated a little easily but overall the episode was solid enough and seeing Tzim-Sha return was a welcomed relief. 

Still...overall this season is definitely the worst of the the reboot. At least it wasn't filled with camp like the RTD years, but those years definitely had better writing/ideas/development. Hopefully this can improve with future seasons.

And you'll get your Dalek's at new years apparently. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 08:12
Definitely the worst of the reboot for me, and the worst since at least Tom Baker left for me (though not all of his were that great). I still haven't seen much of the first two Doctors (I should recify that), but I have seen every episode since then (couldn't make it through the Paul McGann "film" despite being a fan of his for Withnail & I, and the, I thought excellent TV series Paper Mask).

I think my favourite episode of the season may have been "It Takes You Away" for the atmosphere (wasn't altogether into it), and the appearance of Kermit did not phase me one bit. Was nice to see Alan Cumming in The Witchfinders, but it just made me want to rewatch the, I think, awesome film Titus. I did like the cinematography of Demons of the Punjab.   It was such a horrible time in history, and I don't think they quite did the era justice. Maybe they could do the Rwandan genocide if they want to do some gritty historical stuff (I've got a plot worked out for that, but I think it would be too dark). I'd really love one where they go back in time and meet Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, Joseph Smith, L. Ron Hubbard, Jim Jones and throw in the Buddha and Confucius for "good" measure, but of course they wouldn't. Well, maybe they would with the Buddha and Confucius.

Also quite liked another semi-historical with Rosa, but I found the time-traveler uninteresting (I understand why they wouldn't wish to make him a more nuanced and possibly sympathetic character, but I like complex protagonists and more ethical dilemmas). They could have done the episode in a more interesting way without the need for such a character at all which would have presented a more pronounced ethical dilemma.

While this has been my last favourite season since the reboot, I'm still rather enjoying it and looking forward to the New Year's Resolution (which I hope will work well as the real finale of the season as the other finale I found rather weak, loved the first five minutes or so). Tzim-Sha was way too easily captured (the villains have been weak methinks) and I think having Graham kill him in self-defense would have worked better for me, but maybe would present the wrong message to the children (think of the children!). Hey, I would rather a world without needing to resort to killing, but as something of a consequentialist, such pacifism is not always the best course of action). I think the Doctor's self-righteousness is a bit irritating, how many worlds ended up being destroyed because of her dealings with him. In the first episode she was fine with what she did with the bombs and tampering with his device, but when the prey kicked him over the crane she was so patronising.   I mean, I like a condescending, authoritative Doctor, but the way she is playing it as both sweet (all Team Tardis), sometimes accepting her own foibles, and as a self-righteous person grates with me. Yes the Doctor should be a positive role model, and yes the Doctor is complex....

I have to remember that Doctor Who is still a kid's show, and the brand of darkness that I tend to go for may not be child appropriate (think Black Mirror, Utopia, Les Revenants, Real Humans, Westworld, Dead Set, and things like the imo brilliant Fargo etc.). My favourite Doctor Who Episodes of the reboot were probably "Heaven Sent" (that was "art") and "Blink". And in the Who universe, I loved Torchwood's Children of Earth.

On Christmas my brother and his wife came over for dinner, and we talked Who. They love this season/series, but she didn't like Capaldi. I felt bad being critical about it and so I said little (online I'm more comfortable being my negative self even if I still hold myself back as I don't want to come across as a total misanthrope).

While I agree that the writing, particularly Chibnall's writing, is the weakest part of it, I'm not sold on the Doctor or the whole Team Tardis dynamic (I like Graham the most of Team Tardis, aka "The Fam").

Peter Capaldi got what I wanted in Heaven Sent, a "mostly" companionless episode, I hope that Whittaker gets something similar.

Perhaps because I was rooting for Olivia Colman (like Whittaker, she was in Broadchurch) as the new Doctor, I have felt that I may have been too uncharitable with Jodie, but I think her Doctor needs more work and focus to become a really interesting, compelling character.

Not having a story arc (well, a little with the return of the Tooth Fairy) made it harder to become invested in this season.

Anyway I think it will improve and we might not need any Adric moments (I liked his character by the way, but not as much as Vislor Turlough) for what I find to be dull companions. And please, Team Tardis, enunciate! Heck, I'll teach them as I played second codpiece in a Burlesque production of Hamlet (that's not true, I understudied for Hamlet for a quite small theatre production - I did it with a cod English accent, which is strange since Hamlet is Danish but you know, it's Shakespeare). I quite miss BBC and more "posh" English.

I want to see Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith (The League of Gentlemen, Psychoville, Inside No. 9) collaborate on an episode, maybe bring back Mark Gatiss to work with them (they have played characters in Doctor Who), but then I guess it's out with the old. So, maybe I can't hope for another Neil Gaiman story either. Also, such a shame Missy died (love me some Missy) and Michelle Gomez has said that she's not coming back, now she could have been a great foil to Jodie's Doctor, and maybe the Doctor could have learnt a thing or two from her (like dabbing techniques) . She worked so well against Capaldi.

Edited by Logan - December 31 2018 at 09:13
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 14:13
I agree with most of what you said.....I think Whittaker is ok but the stories are not very good imho though the last 2 weren't too bad. I really think something is missing by not having a male Dr Who.....this is not about women but about Dr Who a and the writing.
Haquin
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 14:42
I as well agree with most of what you said. Hopefully things will improve, especially as there will be a small gap in the production. 

The thing that gets me about the female doctor is...in a way I thought they would make her a stronger character. You know...make a female as strong as a male character would typically be. There are multiple times where she just seems almost happy to just go with what's happening instead of making things happen. (I might not be articulating what I mean very well...). She just seems overly passive and 'space cadety' (for lack of a better term) in a way that doesn't really reinforce traditionally strong female archetypes. Also, all this love and 'fam' and sh*t has to stop immediately.

All of this comes down to the writing and character development for me. I think Whittker could be good (or at least I don't think she can only be sh*t) but everything else about the production isn't really giving her a chance to explore/develop/grow the character. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 17:30
^ That makes sense to me, and I do think that you're articulating it very well. I agree with what you said, and I am not in complete agreement with everything I've said in this thread.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 13:21
IMO the actress who played Missy as the Master would have been a better choice...more dynamic and hard edged....more backbone and intelligence behind the eyes.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 13:48
The actress who played Missy would have been awesome as The Doctor, and since apparently a Time Lord can choose his or her own face (we saw it with Capaldi's Doctor and his face frowned from Caecilius and with Romana taking on the appearance of Princess Astra), Michelle Gomez could have played both The Master followed by the Doctor (which is not to say that Chibnall would want to go that route, and it is kind of creepy considering the Doctor/Master relationship).

From the Broadchurch cast, I was keen on Olivia Colman and she was in Matt Smith's first episode, The Eleventh Hour.

Edited by Logan - January 03 2019 at 17:05
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 21:58
^ I agree Michelle Gomez would have been excellent. Though I'm not a fan of the idea of the doctor choosing the master's face. 

As for the new years episode...

SPOLIERS AHEAD

It was alright...not great, not sh*t. Although I have a couple of questions. Can humans touch Daleks without consequence now? I seem to remember touching them in the past caused some problems for humans (although I suppose that might have been important to a specific story line). Also, what happened to the other parts of the dalek that were buried in places much more remote than England? No worries about them?

I also wish they would kill some more people on this show. 
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 09:04
Jon Pertwee is definitely my favourite.  Showing my age LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 12:11
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

^ I agree Michelle Gomez would have been excellent. Though I'm not a fan of the idea of the doctor choosing the master's face. 

SPOLIERS AHEAD

It was alright...not great, not sh*t. Although I have a couple of questions. Can humans touch Daleks without consequence now? I seem to remember touching them in the past caused some problems for humans (although I suppose that might have been important to a specific story line). Also, what happened to the other parts of the dalek that were buried in places much more remote than England? No worries about them?

I also wish they would kill some more people on this show. 

Nor really a fan of Gomez as both The Master and The Doctor, though I like the idea of the mind-f***edness of it (part of that is the troll in me).

I quite liked Resolution, although I wish they'd call it "Resolution of the Daleks" (at least in the end credits). For those not versed in classic Who, there were episodes called Revelation of the Daleks, Resurrection of the Daleks, and Remembrance of the Daleks.

Of course in the episode Dalek (with Eccleston), when Rose tocuhed the Dalek it cause the Dalek to revuild itself (I think that had to do with residual time energy rather than Rose's DNA, which the Dalek picked up from Rose, but she was unharmed as I recall whereas it mutated the Dalek somewhat). I forget other instances.

As for the other parts of the Dalek that were buried around the world, I thought it was clear that they all were transported to the English sewer to rejoin that piece being held under the ultraviolet light there (all the pieces were rejoined to recreate "Squidward").

Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Jon Pertwee is definitely my favourite.  Showing my age LOL

Jon Pertwee is my favourite overall, though I do love Capaldi (and Tom Baker and Smith and others -- I like Colin Baker very much despite not liking many of the stories nor his fashion sense). Pertwee was my first Doctor (albeit in re-runs). I really love the UNIT stories and his interactions with Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart. I like how authoritative, intelligent/ intellectual and wise he was. He did not suffer fools gladly and had a strong moral code (as do all Doctors). As well as being serious, he could also be very funny in it (well, Pertwee was a comedian) and fun. Maybe the Venusian Aikido and action-manness of him could seem a bit too silly. For me, Pertwee set the template of what I most love in The Doctor and I wish there were more Pertwee-esque qualities in the newest Doctor.

Edited by Logan - January 06 2019 at 12:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>