Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doctor Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 20:31
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

^ I agree Michelle Gomez would have been excellent. Though I'm not a fan of the idea of the doctor choosing the master's face. 

SPOLIERS AHEAD

It was alright...not great, not sh*t. Although I have a couple of questions. Can humans touch Daleks without consequence now? I seem to remember touching them in the past caused some problems for humans (although I suppose that might have been important to a specific story line). Also, what happened to the other parts of the dalek that were buried in places much more remote than England? No worries about them?

I also wish they would kill some more people on this show. 

Nor really a fan of Gomez as both The Master and The Doctor, though I like the idea of the mind-f***edness of it (part of that is the troll in me).

I quite liked Resolution, although I wish they'd call it "Resolution of the Daleks" (at least in the end credits). For those not versed in classic Who, there were episodes called Revelation of the Daleks, Resurrection of the Daleks, and Remembrance of the Daleks.

Of course in the episode Dalek (with Eccleston), when Rose tocuhed the Dalek it cause the Dalek to revuild itself (I think that had to do with residual time energy rather than Rose's DNA, which the Dalek picked up from Rose, but she was unharmed as I recall whereas it mutated the Dalek somewhat). I forget other instances.

As for the other parts of the Dalek that were buried around the world, I thought it was clear that they all were transported to the English sewer to rejoin that piece being held under the ultraviolet light there (all the pieces were rejoined to recreate "Squidward").

Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Jon Pertwee is definitely my favourite.  Showing my age LOL

Jon Pertwee is my favourite overall, though I do love Capaldi (and Tom Baker and Smith and others -- I like Colin Baker very much despite not liking many of the stories nor his fashion sense). Pertwee was my first Doctor (albeit in re-runs). I really love the UNIT stories and his interactions with Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart. I like how authoritative, intelligent/ intellectual and wise he was. He did not suffer fools gladly and had a strong moral code (as do all Doctors). As well as being serious, he could also be very funny in it (well, Pertwee was a comedian) and fun. Maybe the Venusian Aikido and action-manness of him could seem a bit too silly. For me, Pertwee set the template of what I most love in The Doctor and I wish there were more Pertwee-esque qualities in the newest Doctor.

Agreed with your point re: the title. That would have been nice. And ahh...I guess I missed that bit somehow.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 02:24
I'm having a hard time with Pertwee. Breezed through Hartnell and Troughton (even the reconstructed episodes), but Pertwee is a slog, probably my least favourite Doctor so far. 
Bigger on the inside.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 06:11
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

I'm having a hard time with Pertwee. Breezed through Hartnell and Troughton (even the reconstructed episodes), but Pertwee is a slog, probably my least favourite Doctor so far. 

Wait till you get to McCoy then.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 07:17
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I more or less gave up on Dr Who at Davidson, back in the day. The few episodes with McCoy left me completely cold.

I actually thought Paul McGann would have been a really good Dr Who for the comeback, based on his performance in the one off feature length, even if the story was utter guff.

I thought Eccleston & Tennant were both very good. Peter Capaldi can only ever be Malcolm Tucker to me, and this latest offering, I really don't have a strong opinion either way. I do like Jody Whittaker as an actress generally.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 09:46
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I more or less gave up on Dr Who at Davidson, back in the day. The few episodes with McCoy left me completely cold.

I actually thought Paul McGann would have been a really good Dr Who for the comeback, based on his performance in the one off feature length, even if the story was utter guff.

I thought Eccleston & Tennant were both very good. Peter Capaldi can only ever be Malcolm Tucker to me, and this latest offering, I really don't have a strong opinion either way. I do like Jody Whittaker as an actress generally.
I agree entirely, especially about McGann, I would like to have seen him carry on.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 11:25
I loved The Thick of It (and various films Capaldi had parts in), but I was most excited about Peter Capaldi as the Doctor because of his, I think superb and tragic, role in Torchwood's Children of Earth as John Frobisher.

I'm okay with Jody Whittaker, even if I wish she would enunciate more in Doctor Who and I hope the character evolves in a rather different direction. I would love for her to get a "Heaven Sent" sort of episode (my favourite episode of NuWho). I really would like to see both better scrips and a rather different "Team Tardis" dynamic. If the show is successful as it is, though, good on it. I'm more excited about the next series of Westworld, Game of Thrones, Fargo, Stranger Things, Black Mirror and Inside No. 9.

I had stopped paying attention to Doctor Who when Davison was doing it. Although now I like many of his episodes and him as a Doctor, at the time I lost interest in the show -- even before that during the latter part of Tom Baker's career, much as, say, I love Douglas Adams, as I was more into Blake's 7 than Doctor Who back then.   By the way, I really love Peter Davison's 2013 The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot with Peter Davison, Colin Baker and McCoy (to me that was the 50th anniversary highlight, much as I did like The Day of the Doctor.   I was sad that Davison got hate for his comments about the Doctor as a woman issue, which I thought reasonable.

McCoy is my least favourite Doctor, he's too vaudevillian and his rolling of the R's I find unappealing. That said, I still like some of his episodes such as The Curse of Fenric, and I don't dislike him.

I hadn't thought of McGann as quite canon before with just his made-for-TV movie, and I have never made it all the way through that, but I liked the short Night of the Doctor very much, he's done fine Doctor Who Big Finish work, and I loved Withnail & I, and Paper Mask I found really terrific. He's an excellent actor.

With Pertwee, as he was my first Doctor when I was small (think I was four when I started getting into Doctor Who), there is some nostalgia factor there. "Inferno" is one of those episodes I never seem to tire of -- the "Mirror, Mirror" (Star Trek) of Doctor Who, though instead of a character getting a beard, one lacks a mustache --. The Claws of Axos, The Sea Devils and The Monsters of Peladon had a big impact me when I was very small. I like the pacing in the Pertwee era, the stories and dialogue, and have never found any of those episodes to be a slog, but we all have different personalities so different aspects resonate....

Edited by Logan - January 07 2019 at 11:30
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2019 at 06:52
I really enjoyed the latest series, and (importantly) my 13 and 16 year old daughters both loved it!  They've watched the last few series with us, but we had comments about how great it has been to have a female doctor, and also that the stories were easier to follow.  This is important, as we don't have time to rewatch episodes like some do....

I think that the next series will be darker and will develop some story arcs, but I hope they don't get too complicated...
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 18:33
Well, season 12 just started on New Year's Day. I have to say I rather enjoyed the first episode. It had a kind of "James Bond" feel to it, including the return of one special character (won't mention who if you haven't watched it yet) that was thought to be dead and a new set of interesting aliens that The Doctor has never encountered before. 

A promising start. Crossing my fingers that this season will be more interesting than the last.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 14:38
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Well, season 12 just started on New Year's Day. I have to say I rather enjoyed the first episode. It had a kind of "James Bond" feel to it, including the return of one special character (won't mention who if you haven't watched it yet) that was thought to be dead and a new set of interesting aliens that The Doctor has never encountered before. 

A promising start. Crossing my fingers that this season will be more interesting than the last.

Spyfall is certainly the best thing from the CC era. I still had a couple of issues with it, but it definitely gives me hope that this season won't be a big mess again. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 15:31
In my view, Jon Pertwee was the best Doctor Who and Sylvester McCoy was the worst.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 16:28
currently Season 23 and Season 3 are being aired on German TV each Tuesday. the first eight episodes of Season 23 were broadcast on Dec 17th and Jan 7th (four episodes each). also broadcast on Jan 7th were two episodes of Season 3 ("Don't Blink" and "Utopia"). Tuesdays are our long Doctor Who nights. you can choose between watching the episodes in English or in German synchronization; we do of course watch the English originals. we like David Tennant better than Colin Baker (he is a bit too comical for our taste). we like Jodie Whittaker a lot too; it is good to see a female doctor for a change. we are looking forward to the new episodes with her in 2020

Edited by BaldJean - January 08 2020 at 16:38

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 01:03
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

In my view, Jon Pertwee was the best Doctor Who and Sylvester McCoy was the worst.

the same for me

The very early B/W episodes with Pertwee were the scariest ever imo

McCoy was horrendous. The only other Doctor I liked in that era was Colin Baker ( and I also seem to remember he had a 'well endowed' companion played by an American actress EmbarrassedLOL) . It recovered a much needed darker edge until McCoy turned it into pantomime.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 03:29
Lord, I can't stand Pertwee, he's my least favourite Doctor so far. Going through his material has been a slog. Bill Hartnell is my favourite so far, and I'm enjoying the "team" aspect of the current incarnation, reminds me of Susan, Ian and Barbara. Heart
Bigger on the inside.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 05:56
Love the show. STILL making efforts to follow it these days. Nothing else like it on TV.
It's hard to pick favourites, but I didn't warm to Colin Baker. In his first episode he tries to strangle his companion!
Fans have attributed this to "post-regeneration" madness. To which I say, OK, YOU come live next door to a wife beater and dismiss that! Plus his pompousness rubbed the wrong way.

But I still enjoy it. I still can't believe the discussions and rage it's generating when if you watch the show... It was always a flawed series! That's why it's great to watch! Stuff isn't set in stone. Writer's conveniences keep happening. And I can live with it.
People taking it far too seriously, they seem to be watching a different show!

Sublime hand in hand with the ridiculous. And basically, the only BBC thing I bother with. Licence fee can't end quickly enough.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 07:43
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

the same for me

The very early B/W episodes with Pertwee were the scariest ever imo

McCoy was horrendous. The only other Doctor I liked in that era was Colin Baker ( and I also seem to remember he had a 'well endowed' companion played by an American actress EmbarrassedLOL) . It recovered a much needed darker edge until McCoy turned it into pantomime.
I wasn't keen on either Peter Davison or Colin Baker as Doctor Who, but I thought Tom Baker was great and second only to Jon Pertwee. As you say, the episodes with Jon Pertwee were the scariest of all. Even the opening theme music from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop used to give me the creeps. Smile
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 13:27
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

I really enjoyed the latest series, and (importantly) my 13 and 16 year old daughters both loved it!  They've watched the last few series with us, but we had comments about how great it has been to have a female doctor

same here in this all-female household (my wife Friede, my sister Bea, our daughters Alice and Dorothy and I)

Edited by BaldJean - January 09 2020 at 14:28

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 14:19
I think most Doctor Who fans would agree that the Daleks were the scariest monsters of all.
dalek
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 15:01
Also a fan of Dr Who.....liked all the Docs to some degree, but I agree that McCoy left a lot to be desired.
Big fan of Baker, Tenant, Smith and Capaldi. I started watching with Pertwee...went back to see the early ones. I really wish Capaldi would have stayed on for another season or 2. Whittaker is a fine actress but she simply doesn't capture  Dr Who for me.
As Logan said, I hope it moves in another/different direction .

Edited by dr wu23 - January 09 2020 at 15:02
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 11:38
Just watched the latest episode...Praxeus...am I the only one that thought it was lame..?

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 11:59
I haven't been able to bring myself to watch any full episodes from this season. I started on the Skyfall, erm Spyfall episode, but stopped when Stephen Fry's character was killed. It felt like a chore to watch the last season -- something that last happened to me in the 1980s with Doctor Who.

Here's a young Chris Chibnall criticising Doctor Who in 1986 (he has now distanced himself from his early criticism calling it nonsense, perhaps because of the amount of criticism he gets). Forget the title of the video, that's a joke as he wrote 42 for 2007's Doctor Who (I actually rather liked that episode).

Edited by Logan - February 03 2020 at 12:02
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>