Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Klaus Schulze & Michael Hoenig performed together?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKlaus Schulze & Michael Hoenig performed together?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Klaus Schulze & Michael Hoenig performed together?
    Posted: August 05 2016 at 21:37
So today I was listening to the Hoenig and Gottsching collaboration Early Water.

In the liner notes (written by Gottsching), it says that Hoenig performed with Klaus Schulze for some concerts in the mid seventies.

I knew that Hoenig had collaborated with Tangerine Dream. I have a recording of one of those concerts in the Tangerine Dream Bootleg Box Set Volume 1. But I didn't know that he had also done concerts with Klaus Schulze.

Does anyone know if this means they performed at the same time, that is a live collaboration. Or did they just perform separately on the same night? And if Schulze and Hoenig collaborated, do any recordings of these collaborations exist?
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 00:31
Appartently, after parting ways with Agitation Free and playing a few gigs with Tangerine Dream as a substitute for Peter Baumann, he had a short-lived project with Klaus called Timewind, like Klaus' album. Bear in mind this was still before his collaboration with Manuel. I'll keep an eye on this thread, if there are any recordings of Timewind, I would love to hear that.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - August 06 2016 at 00:31
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 06:15
An excerpt from the Schulze bio on his website, written by his longtime roadie and manager Klaus D. Mueller:

"Together with the Berlin keyboard player Michael Hoenig, who came from the just disbanded Berlin rock band "Agitation Free", KS had the plan to do a duo called "Timewind". The trouble was that Michael was a perfectionist in small things: Each cable, plug and socket must be labelled with small coloured tape, which took some boring hours. And, even worse, he was not willing to enter a stage without weeks of careful rehearsals. An evident violation of Klaus' amusing and lax rule: Rehearsal is an attack in the buddy's rear.

As "Timewind" duo Klaus and Michael had contacted Virgin Records in London, where Tangerine Dream had signed worldwide in the preceding year, in November 1973 (accidentally I was their roadie and present there, too). Two or three concerts by KS with Hoenig were given, then Michael vanished without telling us why, and without any goodbye (!)"

Sounds to me like they played together on stage, as Timewind. If tapes exist, they must be well-hidden somewhere...
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 07:29
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

The trouble was that Michael was a perfectionist in small things: Each cable, plug and socket must be labelled with small coloured tape, which took some boring hours. And, even worse, he was not willing to enter a stage without weeks of careful rehearsals. An evident violation of Klaus' amusing and lax rule: Rehearsal is an attack in the buddy's rear.

Ha! That's neat! Thanks for sharing! Smile
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 08:02
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

An excerpt from the Schulze bio on his website, written by his longtime roadie and manager Klaus D. Mueller:

"Together with the Berlin keyboard player Michael Hoenig, who came from the just disbanded Berlin rock band "Agitation Free", KS had the plan to do a duo called "Timewind". The trouble was that Michael was a perfectionist in small things: Each cable, plug and socket must be labelled with small coloured tape, which took some boring hours. And, even worse, he was not willing to enter a stage without weeks of careful rehearsals. An evident violation of Klaus' amusing and lax rule: Rehearsal is an attack in the buddy's rear.

As "Timewind" duo Klaus and Michael had contacted Virgin Records in London, where Tangerine Dream had signed worldwide in the preceding year, in November 1973 (accidentally I was their roadie and present there, too). Two or three concerts by KS with Hoenig were given, then Michael vanished without telling us why, and without any goodbye (!)"

Sounds to me like they played together on stage, as Timewind. If tapes exist, they must be well-hidden somewhere...

Thanks for this story. so many things happened back in the day, it is impossible to keep track, so thanks again for this.
 Post Reply Post Reply